Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1) - Slackware

This is a discussion on Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1) - Slackware ; This was posted here a long time ago. I still use it so I thought I'd post it again. I've added what is either an enhancement or else a bug, depending on your point of view, by modifying the original ...

  1. Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1)

    This was posted here a long time ago. I still use it so I thought I'd
    post it again. I've added what is either an enhancement or else a
    bug, depending on your point of view, by modifying the original script
    so that it finds out if the mirror supports rsync. The list of FTP
    mirrors came from slackware.com as of 3 December 2007. Note that http
    mirrors are ignored.

    If anyone knows how to get the rsync client to time out, either
    enhance this and post it again or post a bash script snippet that I
    can include that will overcome the long delays. I run ps and kill the
    rsync processes that I don't want to wait for.

    For any particular mirror, if the size of the ChangeLog.txt is zero,
    either the FTP server refused or timed out, or the path to
    ChangeLog.txt is wrong. I have NOT investigated, on the theory that
    the problem is that the URI at slackware.com will eventually be
    updated or removed.
    --
    buck

  2. Re: Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1)

    On 2007-12-03, buck wrote:
    > This was posted here a long time ago. I still use it so I thought I'd
    > post it again. I've added what is either an enhancement or else a
    > bug, depending on your point of view, by modifying the original script
    > so that it finds out if the mirror supports rsync. The list of FTP
    > mirrors came from slackware.com as of 3 December 2007. Note that http
    > mirrors are ignored.
    >
    > If anyone knows how to get the rsync client to time out, either
    > enhance this and post it again or post a bash script snippet that I
    > can include that will overcome the long delays. I run ps and kill the
    > rsync processes that I don't want to wait for.
    >
    > For any particular mirror, if the size of the ChangeLog.txt is zero,
    > either the FTP server refused or timed out, or the path to
    > ChangeLog.txt is wrong. I have NOT investigated, on the theory that
    > the problem is that the URI at slackware.com will eventually be
    > updated or removed.
    > --
    > buck

    That sounds very useful, buck. But I've seen a few bash scripts
    and they don't look anything like that.

    I read the zip manpage and created a .zip file and opened it
    in less and with cat, but it doesn't look anything like that.

    Obviously, I'm missing something basic and would appreciate being
    clued in.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  3. Re: Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1)

    buck wrote:

    > If anyone knows how to get the rsync client to time out, either
    > enhance this and post it again or post a bash script snippet that I
    > can include that will overcome the long delays. ...

    I apologize in advance if I'm pointing out something you already know,
    or consider obvious, but this is from the rsync(1) manual page:

    --timeout=TIMEOUT
    This option allows you to set a maximum I/O timeout
    in seconds. If no data is transferred for the specified
    time then rsync will exit. The default is 0, which means
    no timeout.

    I hope it helps ...

  4. Re: Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1)

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 04:32:22 +0100 (CET), Tom N
    wrote:

    >On 2007-12-03, buck wrote:
    >> This was posted here a long time ago. I still use it so I thought I'd
    >> post it again. I've added what is either an enhancement or else a
    >> bug, depending on your point of view, by modifying the original script
    >> so that it finds out if the mirror supports rsync. The list of FTP
    >> mirrors came from slackware.com as of 3 December 2007. Note that http
    >> mirrors are ignored.
    >>
    >> If anyone knows how to get the rsync client to time out, either
    >> enhance this and post it again or post a bash script snippet that I
    >> can include that will overcome the long delays. I run ps and kill the
    >> rsync processes that I don't want to wait for.
    >>
    >> For any particular mirror, if the size of the ChangeLog.txt is zero,
    >> either the FTP server refused or timed out, or the path to
    >> ChangeLog.txt is wrong. I have NOT investigated, on the theory that
    >> the problem is that the URI at slackware.com will eventually be
    >> updated or removed.
    >> --
    >> buck

    >That sounds very useful, buck. But I've seen a few bash scripts
    >and they don't look anything like that.
    >
    >I read the zip manpage and created a .zip file and opened it
    >in less and with cat, but it doesn't look anything like that.
    >
    >Obviously, I'm missing something basic and would appreciate being
    >clued in.
    >
    >Tom

    The attachment was yenc encoded, so maybe you did not decode it.

    Try downloading it from here:
    ftp://andthatsjazz.org/pub/slackchange.zip

    --
    buck

  5. Re: Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1)

    On 2007-12-03, buck wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 04:32:22 +0100 (CET), Tom N
    > wrote:
    >
    > The attachment was yenc encoded, so maybe you did not decode it.

    I will google for yenc encoding. There's no mention of it here
    with locate or apropos.

    > Try downloading it from here:
    > ftp://andthatsjazz.org/pub/slackchange.zip

    Got it. Thanks, buck.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  6. Re: Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip (0/1)

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 05:23:00 +0000 (UTC), Sylvain Robitaille
    wrote:

    >buck wrote:
    >
    >> If anyone knows how to get the rsync client to time out, either
    >> enhance this and post it again or post a bash script snippet that I
    >> can include that will overcome the long delays. ...

    >I apologize in advance if I'm pointing out something you already know,
    >or consider obvious, but this is from the rsync(1) manual page:
    >
    > --timeout=TIMEOUT
    > This option allows you to set a maximum I/O timeout
    > in seconds. If no data is transferred for the specified
    > time then rsync will exit. The default is 0, which means
    > no timeout.
    >
    >I hope it helps ...

    There is a timeout in the script, but it gets ignored. My experience
    with rsync is that the server (rsyncd) controls the timeout length and
    that whatever the client specifies just does not matter. Now, that
    could be a problem with my version of rsync, but the last upgrade
    tried (a year ago?) failed to fix it so I kinda gave up on that idea.

    Keep the ideas coming and DON'T APOLOGIZE, at least not to me. You
    are not likely to tick me off by telling me to RTFM

    What I'd like the script to do is background the rsync call and then
    wait 5 seconds (or so). If the process is still running, then kill
    it. But the script depends on the status of the rsync command, and
    anything executed after rsync (`sleep` or `ps` for example) returns
    its own status, hiding the status from rsync. It's a catch 22. So,
    when I run the script, I watch it run and switch to another terminal
    when it stalls. Then `ps xa` followed by `kill #` where # is the
    process ID of rsync causes resumption. Or I just wait it out. That's
    what beer is for, isn't it?
    --
    buck

  7. Re: Finding mirrors with current information for -current - slackchange.zip(0/1)

    buck wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 05:23:00 +0000 (UTC), Sylvain Robitaille
    > wrote:
    >
    >> buck wrote:
    >>
    >>> If anyone knows how to get the rsync client to time out, either
    >>> enhance this and post it again or post a bash script snippet that I
    >>> can include that will overcome the long delays. ...

    >> I apologize in advance if I'm pointing out something you already know,
    >> or consider obvious, but this is from the rsync(1) manual page:
    >>
    >> --timeout=TIMEOUT
    >> This option allows you to set a maximum I/O timeout
    >> in seconds. If no data is transferred for the specified
    >> time then rsync will exit. The default is 0, which means
    >> no timeout.
    >>
    >> I hope it helps ...

    > There is a timeout in the script, but it gets ignored. My experience
    > with rsync is that the server (rsyncd) controls the timeout length and
    > that whatever the client specifies just does not matter. Now, that
    > could be a problem with my version of rsync, but the last upgrade
    > tried (a year ago?) failed to fix it so I kinda gave up on that idea.
    >
    > Keep the ideas coming and DON'T APOLOGIZE, at least not to me. You
    > are not likely to tick me off by telling me to RTFM
    >
    > What I'd like the script to do is background the rsync call and then
    > wait 5 seconds (or so). If the process is still running, then kill
    > it. But the script depends on the status of the rsync command, and
    > anything executed after rsync (`sleep` or `ps` for example) returns
    > its own status, hiding the status from rsync. It's a catch 22. So,
    > when I run the script, I watch it run and switch to another terminal
    > when it stalls. Then `ps xa` followed by `kill #` where # is the
    > process ID of rsync causes resumption. Or I just wait it out. That's
    > what beer is for, isn't it?
    > --
    > buck

    Have you looked at $! after backgrounding the rsync job?

    --
    CE

+ Reply to Thread