skype and sound - Slackware

This is a discussion on skype and sound - Slackware ; Hi, I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this problem esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a built in intel hda sound device which previously worked ok. Recently I installed skype and ...

  1. skype and sound

    Hi,
    I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this problem
    esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a built in
    intel hda sound device which previously worked ok.
    Recently I installed skype and a usb sound adapter (Imic). I have skype
    configured to use the usb device and I can get the test call to work ok. The
    problem is that once I got skype working the rest of my sound applications
    and devices stopped working.
    I have checked alsamixer and the installed modules and they are all ok
    (nothing is muted, etc). I can cat a sound file to the usb device but not
    to through the built in sound card (to which my speakers are attached). No
    sound application, except skype, works with either device. For
    example 'aplay sound_file ' or aplay -c 1 sound_file ' produce only
    silence, but 'cat sound_file >/dev/dsp1' produces static from the usb
    device.
    Lspci lists the built in sound card and lsusb lists the usb device.
    Rebooting and/or turning the computer off have no effect. I have had these
    results with another kernel in slack 12 and with a third kernel in slack
    11. During the boot process the speakers pop but that is the only sound I
    have been able to get out of them.
    The skype setting at present for sound in/out is: Imic usb audio system
    (plughw (or hw), 0). I cannpt get skype to work with the built in sound
    card.
    There may be a skype forum for this but I think it is a configuration
    problem and the gurus who listen here can help.
    Cheers, jwc

  2. Re: skype and sound

    john connolly wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this problem
    > esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a built in
    > intel hda sound device which previously worked ok.
    > Recently I installed skype and a usb sound adapter (Imic). I have skype
    > configured to use the usb device and I can get the test call to work ok. The
    > problem is that once I got skype working the rest of my sound applications
    > and devices stopped working.
    > I have checked alsamixer and the installed modules and they are all ok
    > (nothing is muted, etc). I can cat a sound file to the usb device but not
    > to through the built in sound card (to which my speakers are attached). No
    > sound application, except skype, works with either device. For
    > example 'aplay sound_file ' or aplay -c 1 sound_file ' produce only
    > silence, but 'cat sound_file >/dev/dsp1' produces static from the usb
    > device.
    > Lspci lists the built in sound card and lsusb lists the usb device.
    > Rebooting and/or turning the computer off have no effect. I have had these
    > results with another kernel in slack 12 and with a third kernel in slack
    > 11. During the boot process the speakers pop but that is the only sound I
    > have been able to get out of them.
    > The skype setting at present for sound in/out is: Imic usb audio system
    > (plughw (or hw), 0). I cannpt get skype to work with the built in sound
    > card.
    > There may be a skype forum for this but I think it is a configuration
    > problem and the gurus who listen here can help.
    > Cheers, jwc

    Familiar situation. Met it in Slack and XP.
    Open Skype tools and look in sound devices, usually you will find a list
    of devices that can be used for sound, configure the one you need as
    'default', in other applications _tell_ the program what to use from the
    possibilities.
    It IS Slackware after all, very obedient creature, just talk to it so it
    understands.

    HTH
    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  3. Re: skype and sound

    Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > john connolly wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I am running slack 12 with kernel 2.6.23.9-smp (although this
    >> problem
    >> esists with other kernels and other versions of slack). My mb has a built
    >> in intel hda sound device which previously worked ok.
    >> Recently I installed skype and a usb sound adapter (Imic). I have
    >> skype
    >> configured to use the usb device and I can get the test call to work ok.
    >> The problem is that once I got skype working the rest of my sound
    >> applications and devices stopped working.
    >> I have checked alsamixer and the installed modules and they are
    >> all ok
    >> (nothing is muted, etc). I can cat a sound file to the usb device but not
    >> to through the built in sound card (to which my speakers are attached).
    >> No sound application, except skype, works with either device. For
    >> example 'aplay sound_file ' or aplay -c 1 sound_file ' produce only
    >> silence, but 'cat sound_file >/dev/dsp1' produces static from the usb
    >> device.
    >> Lspci lists the built in sound card and lsusb lists the usb
    >> device.
    >> Rebooting and/or turning the computer off have no effect. I have had
    >> these results with another kernel in slack 12 and with a third kernel in
    >> slack 11. During the boot process the speakers pop but that is the only
    >> sound I have been able to get out of them.
    >> The skype setting at present for sound in/out is: Imic usb audio
    >> system
    >> (plughw (or hw), 0). I cannpt get skype to work with the built in sound
    >> card.
    >> There may be a skype forum for this but I think it is a
    >> configuration
    >> problem and the gurus who listen here can help.
    >> Cheers, jwc

    > Familiar situation. Met it in Slack and XP.
    > Open Skype tools and look in sound devices, usually you will find a list
    > of devices that can be used for sound, configure the one you need as
    > 'default', in other applications _tell_ the program what to use from the
    > possibilities.
    > It IS Slackware after all, very obedient creature, just talk to it so it
    > understands.
    >
    > HTH
    > Have fun
    >
    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    I think you have the right idea but I don't know how to do it. In the skype
    options/sound_devices/sound_in window (for example) there are several
    choices. At the top of the list is 'default device' under that there are
    other specific listings, such as, HDA Intel (hwIntel,0). I don't see any
    way to tell the program what the default device is. It probably is getting
    that info from alsa, for which the built in sound card is default.
    Cheers, jwc

  4. Re: skype and sound

    john connolly wrote:

    > I think you have the right idea but I don't know how to do it. In the skype
    > options/sound_devices/sound_in window (for example) there are several
    > choices. At the top of the list is 'default device' under that there are
    > other specific listings, such as, HDA Intel (hwIntel,0). I don't see any
    > way to tell the program what the default device is. It probably is getting
    > that info from alsa, for which the built in sound card is default.
    > Cheers, jwc

    OK, scratching failing memory cells.
    My mess is: Slack 12 with Linux version of Skype and mine better half
    box Win NT 5.1 (aka XP) with its own version of Skype.
    On mine I have USB connected box with telephone (old style) attached and
    its handle is used as the audio input/output. Works perfectly after
    finding and highlighting in Skype sound devices the call of this piece
    of hardware.
    On the MS side is USB connected VOIP handle, and responds to similar
    treatment.
    If my memory serves some adjustment in other 'noisy' applications was
    needed to tell them which of the choices is for them to use.
    No complains from hardware till now.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw.

+ Reply to Thread