Mount an external usb HD - Slackware

This is a discussion on Mount an external usb HD - Slackware ; I have an old 4.3 Gb 2.5" Toshiba HD in an Argosy box connected via a USB cable. I tried to mount it in slackware via the mount command : mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb_drive the problem is that i ...

  1. Mount an external usb HD

    I have an old 4.3 Gb 2.5" Toshiba HD in an Argosy box connected via a
    USB cable. I tried to mount it in slackware via the mount command :

    mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb_drive

    the problem is that i can not access the drive this way. do i need to
    load a specific module in order to access the drive?

    Below i post the result of lsmod command

    Sorry for my bad english.

    Thanks in advance

    Timóteo

    root@darkstar:~# lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    snd_seq_dummy 6788 0
    snd_seq_oss 32896 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 10112 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 50640 5
    snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 10508 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 42784 0
    snd_mixer_oss 18048 1 snd_pcm_oss
    ipv6 254496 10
    bt878 12728 0
    pcmcia 34988 0
    pcmcia_core 36500 1 pcmcia
    capability 7304 0
    commoncap 9344 1 capability
    lp 13736 0
    parport_pc 27812 1
    parport 34760 2 lp,parport_pc
    pcspkr 6528 0
    psmouse 39048 0
    sg 30364 0
    serio_raw 9220 0
    bttv 173620 1 bt878
    video_buf 24068 1 bttv
    ir_common 33796 1 bttv
    compat_ioctl32 5248 1 bttv
    btcx_risc 8072 1 bttv
    tveeprom 17552 1 bttv
    videodev 29184 1 bttv
    v4l2_common 18688 2 bttv,videodev
    v4l1_compat 17668 2 bttv,videodev
    sis_agp 10116 1
    ata_generic 9220 0
    sis900 23552 0
    mii 8576 1 sis900
    agpgart 31432 1 sis_agp
    i2c_sis96x 8708 0
    evdev 11904 1
    snd_intel8x0 32412 0
    snd_ac97_codec 98980 1 snd_intel8x0
    ac97_bus 6016 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm 72068 3
    snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
    snd_timer 22532 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd 47204 9
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
    soundcore 9824 1 snd
    shpchp 33172 0
    snd_page_alloc 11528 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

  2. Re: Mount an external usb HD

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:30:29 -0800, Timoteo wrote:

    > I have an old 4.3 Gb 2.5" Toshiba HD in an Argosy box connected via a
    > USB cable. I tried to mount it in slackware via the mount command :
    >
    > mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb_drive
    >
    > the problem is that i can not access the drive this way. do i need to
    > load a specific module in order to access the drive?

    /dev/sda is hard drive, you need just one partition. try /dev/sda1, or
    even better look at the output of 'dmesg' after connecting the drive.

    --
    i.

  3. Re: Mount an external usb HD

    Timoteo wrote:
    > I have an old 4.3 Gb 2.5" Toshiba HD in an Argosy box connected via a
    > USB cable. I tried to mount it in slackware via the mount command :

    > mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usb_drive

    My guess is that your HD has at least one partition. If so, you should
    mount it with something like /dev/sda1 instead. You can use "fdisk -l" to
    see which partitions you have to choose from.

    > the problem is that i can not access the drive this way. do i need to
    > load a specific module in order to access the drive?

    Usually hotplug or udev takes care of this. Which version of Slackware are
    you using?

    Also, once the right drivers are loaded and recognize the hardware the
    ususally log a message about what they have found. You can read those
    messages with the command "dmesg".

    > Below i post the result of lsmod command

    I see no USB driver in that list.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread