[meta] encouraging helpful posters - Slackware

This is a discussion on [meta] encouraging helpful posters - Slackware ; On 2007-11-29, +Alan Hicks+ wrote: > > Yeah, we really need to build this place back up. There's plenty of > people out there who will post to usenet and have lots of great things > to add, we just ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: [meta] encouraging helpful posters

  1. [meta] encouraging helpful posters

    On 2007-11-29, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >
    > Yeah, we really need to build this place back up. There's plenty of
    > people out there who will post to usenet and have lots of great things
    > to add, we just need to get them here, and more importantly, keep them
    > here. Any suggestions on how to do this?


    In particular, let's start a new thread to get it out of the long
    flamewar. (I have no good ideas either, but if anyone has ideas I don't
    want them to get lost amid the continuing flames.)

    --keith

    --
    kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)
    AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    see X- headers for PGP signature information


  2. Re: [meta] encouraging helpful posters

    Keith Keller writes:

    > On 2007-11-29, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>
    >> Yeah, we really need to build this place back up. There's plenty of
    >> people out there who will post to usenet and have lots of great things
    >> to add, we just need to get them here, and more importantly, keep them
    >> here. Any suggestions on how to do this?

    >
    > In particular, let's start a new thread to get it out of the long
    > flamewar. (I have no good ideas either, but if anyone has ideas I don't
    > want them to get lost amid the continuing flames.)


    Well, speaking as someone who rarely posts usefully (I try to answer the "easy"
    ones if no-one else gets there first!), it worth remembering that there
    are *plenty* of helpful posters here - I keep reading because there is
    always something to be learned.

    The answer is to produce "A.O.L.S - the movie" or maybe even a soap
    opera. Once folk get the idea that Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts are
    regular posters, the problem is solved. This would not necessarily
    increase the number of crazies posting here either.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
    STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    JFGI http://jfgi.us/

  3. Re: [meta] encouraging helpful posters

    Richard James wrote in
    news:475372ce$0$30016$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u:

    > People in here are totally and unnecessarily rude. This is the
    > newsgroups problem.


    Some are consistently so, I'll agree. Some, however, just have a blunt
    and forthright way of speaking, so no big deal.

    Time to apply the old "I'll assume you're just being blunt right up until
    you call me an ass" philosophy! ;vD

    > This is the reason you see so few posts. Because people are afraid of
    > speaking their piece worrying that they will get flamed to death. As


    My reason for not posting often is a little different. I work a lot of
    overtime as a GIS programmer in the Windows environment. So, I'll see
    questions from people about things I haven't learned, then go and learn
    those things myself. By the time I get back someone else has already
    answered. Maybe others do the same?

    > Also this rudeness is unprofessional. Many of the people you want to
    > join your discussions are professionals they see that rudeness and are
    > turned off.


    My killfile works pretty well. ;v)

    > Note I haven't said anything about a solution because at the moment I
    > don't see much of a viable one.
    >
    > Richard James
    >


    Perhaps we can all grow a thicker skin? Sticks and stones may break my
    bones, but words will never hurt me.

    Just the other day I was having to remind a DBA of a master account
    password. He knew the first part, then looked at me. I leaned close and
    whispered, "It's my zip-code."

    He look at the keyboard and with one finger pecked out "666" then turned
    back and looked at me again.

    I was just barely standing I was laughing so hard...

    --
    The email address, above, is most certainly munged. Perhaps you
    might reply to the newsgroup, instead? Thanks!

  4. Re: [meta] encouraging helpful posters

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > On 2007-11-29, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>
    >> Yeah, we really need to build this place back up. There's plenty of
    >> people out there who will post to usenet and have lots of great things
    >> to add, we just need to get them here, and more importantly, keep them
    >> here. Any suggestions on how to do this?

    >
    > In particular, let's start a new thread to get it out of the long
    > flamewar. (I have no good ideas either, but if anyone has ideas I don't
    > want them to get lost amid the continuing flames.)


    People in here are totally and unnecessarily rude. This is the newsgroups
    problem.

    This is the reason you see so few posts. Because people are afraid of
    speaking their piece worrying that they will get flamed to death. As more
    and more people remain silent the lower and lower the signal to noise ratio
    of the group becomes. Eventually you end up with nothing but noise.

    Also this rudeness is unprofessional. Many of the people you want to join
    your discussions are professionals they see that rudeness and are turned
    off.

    Another issue I can see is a certain feeling of eliteism. This can lead
    people to not post because they feel they do not know enough about a
    certain subject. Which then turns again to the lack of people talking. It
    doesn't matter if what you say is wrong on usenet but I think a lot of
    people feel that in this newsgroup if they post someone is going to flame
    them for being wrong. And it is this fear that stops genuine posts from
    occurring.

    Note I haven't said anything about a solution because at the moment I don't
    see much of a viable one.

    Richard James

  5. Re: [meta] encouraging helpful posters

    Keith Keller wrote:

    >> Yeah, we really need to build this place back up. *There's plenty of
    >> people out there who will post to usenet and have lots of great things
    >> to add, we just need to get them here, and more importantly, keep them
    >> here. *Any suggestions on how to do this?

    >
    > In particular, let's start a new thread to get it out of the long
    > flamewar. *(I have no good ideas either, but if anyone has ideas I don't
    > want them to get lost amid the continuing flames.)


    I have not (and will not) read the flamewar leading up to this post, but I
    couldn't help comment on the irony of it, since it's the elitism of Alan
    and his cronies in particular that keeps me from posting here. Alan's
    signature alone is enough for me to avoid his posts.

    Sure, I have "thick Internet skin", and it doesn't really affect my life or
    self-image if other posters are pompous, condescending, or deprecatory, but
    that doesn't mean I'll ever choose to *participate* in such
    counterproductive activity.

    Alan and friends are quick to blame professional hasslers like rm for all
    this newsgroup's troubles. But those people are the easy ones to ignore,
    and don't keep me away at all. On the other hand, many of the
    regular "helpers" treat this newsgroup like a fraternity, a social
    phenomenon of which I've personally had my fill.

    Meanwhile, my Slackware continues to work beautifully (yes even Xine!)


    Jeffrey

+ Reply to Thread