What happend to sound blaster isa? - Slackware

This is a discussion on What happend to sound blaster isa? - Slackware ; Have been trying to work out getting the sound on an old laptop to work. I'm messing with the linux live scripts and how-to's and am early in my use of kernel 2.6.21.5 Both in Slackware proper and the Slax ...

  1. What happend to sound blaster isa?

    Have been trying to work out getting the sound on an old laptop to work.
    I'm messing with the linux live scripts and how-to's and am early in my
    use of kernel 2.6.21.5

    Both in Slackware proper and the Slax kernel, my sound blaster compatible
    ESS1879 does not load the module for the chip. Using 2.4 up until now, I
    could go to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and uncomment the geneic SB16 line,
    change a DMA and I was good to go.

    dmesg shows NOTHING, except when I uncomment the same rc.module line. Then
    it will give me an error "Device busy or not detected"

    Can someone point me in the right direction here?

  2. Re: What happend to sound blaster isa?

    Leonard The Committed wrote:
    > Have been trying to work out getting the sound on an old laptop to work.
    >snip<

    > ESS1879 does not load the module for the chip. Using 2.4 up until now, I
    >snip<
    >
    > Can someone point me in the right direction here?

    could not find a ref to ESS1879 on Slack v8.1 nor 12, but
    did not spend a whole lot of time examining files. Maybe my
    experiences with ES1371 will help. I am assuming you tried
    alsa and it did not work. alsa now works for me but when
    alsa was first added to slack I had to do this:
    1. edit /etc/hotplug/blacklist
    (for V12 seems to be /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist)
    commenting out es1371
    2. edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, uncomment the line(s)
    for es1371

    HTH
    jack

    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
    or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is

+ Reply to Thread