spca module - Slackware

This is a discussion on spca module - Slackware ; Hi, I have a funky web cam that requires the module gspca.ko, which can be built from the code available at http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html . I used the webcam with this module and xawtv in slack 11 with kernel 2.6.18. I recently ...

  1. spca module

    Hi,
    I have a funky web cam that requires the module gspca.ko, which can be
    built from the code available at http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html. I
    used the webcam with this module and xawtv in slack 11 with kernel 2.6.18.
    I recently switched to slack 12 and am using kernel 2.6.23.8. I have been
    able to build the module ok, using the kernel source from the slackware
    packages source, but when I try to install it I get:
    FATAL: Error inserting gspca
    (/lib/modules/2.6.23.8/kernel/drivers/usb/media/gspca.ko): Invalid module
    format.
    I have tried the suggestion from http://people.vnoss.org/~hxizan/ without
    success.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, jwc

  2. Re: spca module

    john connolly wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a funky web cam that requires the module gspca.ko, which can be
    > built from the code available at http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html. I
    > used the webcam with this module and xawtv in slack 11 with kernel 2.6.18.
    > I recently switched to slack 12 and am using kernel 2.6.23.8. I have been
    > able to build the module ok, using the kernel source from the slackware
    > packages source, but when I try to install it I get:
    > FATAL: Error inserting gspca
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.23.8/kernel/drivers/usb/media/gspca.ko): Invalid module
    > format.
    > I have tried the suggestion from http://people.vnoss.org/~hxizan/ without
    > success.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks, jwc

    I just tested my SlackBuild at
    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/gspcav1/ against the
    newest kernel 2.6.23.9 (slackware-current) and it builds a working
    package. The module loads errorfree when I plug in my Logitech Webcam.

    Try these four commands to download, build & install (don't forget to
    remove the old binaries):

    (1) lcfp -c "open http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/gspcav1/
    ; mirror build"

    (2) cd build

    (3) ./gspcav1.SlackBuild

    (4) installpkg /tmp/gspcav1-20070508_*.tgz

    Cheers, Eric

  3. Re: spca module

    Eric Hameleers wrote:

    > /tmp/gspcav1-20070508_

    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the procedure you describe produced the
    same result that I had before. For what it's worth here is what dmesg says:

    gspca: version magic '2.6.23.8 SMP mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.23.8
    mod_unload 486 '

    Here is the output of gcc -v:
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/specs
    Target: i486-slackware-linux
    Configured
    with: ../gcc-4.1.2/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-languages=ada,c,c++,
    fortran,java,objc --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking
    --with-gnu-ld --verbose --with-arch=i486 --target=i486-slackware-linux --host=i486-slackware-linux
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.1.2, which may be relevant.
    Cheers, jwc

  4. Re: spca module

    On 2007-11-30, john connolly wrote:
    > Eric Hameleers wrote:
    >
    >> /tmp/gspcav1-20070508_

    > Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the procedure you describe produced the
    > same result that I had before. For what it's worth here is what dmesg says:
    >
    > gspca: version magic '2.6.23.8 SMP mod_unload 686 ' should be '2.6.23.8
    > mod_unload 486 '
    >
    > Here is the output of gcc -v:
    > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/specs
    > Target: i486-slackware-linux
    > Configured
    > with: ../gcc-4.1.2/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-languages=ada,c,c++,
    > fortran,java,objc --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking
    > --with-gnu-ld --verbose --with-arch=i486 --target=i486-slackware-linux --host=i486-slackware-linux
    > Thread model: posix

    Sounds like you're using one of the non-smp kernels shipped with Slackware.
    If this is intentional, and your box will not boot one of the smp kernels,
    then see the 'linux-2.6.23.9-nosmp-sdk' directory in /extra to convert
    your kernel sources from smp to non-smp.

    -RW

  5. Re: spca module

    Robby Workman typed:
    > Sounds like you're using one of the non-smp kernels shipped with Slackware.
    > If this is intentional, and your box will not boot one of the smp kernels,
    > then see the 'linux-2.6.23.9-nosmp-sdk' directory in /extra to convert
    > your kernel sources from smp to non-smp.

    That suggests that it is preferable to use the SMP kernel(s). If so,
    might I know why?

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  6. Re: spca module

    Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:

    > Robby Workman typed:
    >> Sounds like you're using one of the non-smp kernels shipped with
    >> Slackware. If this is intentional, and your box will not boot one of the
    >> smp kernels, then see the 'linux-2.6.23.9-nosmp-sdk' directory in /extra
    >> to convert your kernel sources from smp to non-smp.

    > That suggests that it is preferable to use the SMP kernel(s). If so,
    > might I know why?

    Have you read $ftpmirror/slackware/slackware-12.0/CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT

    It is recommended that you use one of the generic kernels (either the plain
    kernel-generic or kernel-generic-smp) for daily use. For most systems,
    you should use the generic SMP kernel if it will run, even if your system
    is not SMP-capable. Some newer hardware needs the local APIC enabled in
    the SMP kernel, and theoretically there should not be a performance
    penalty
    with using the SMP-capable kernel on a uniprocessor machine, as the SMP
    kernel tests for this and makes necessary adjustments. Furthermore, the
    kernel sources shipped with Slackware 12.0 are configured for SMP usage,
    so you won't have to modify those to build external out-of-tree modules
    (such as NVidia or ATI proprietary drivers) if you use the SMP kernel.

    If you are using one of the non-SMP kernels (huge.s or generic.s) and need
    to compile third-party modules (such as the proprietary NVidia driver),
    have a look in /extra/linux-2.6.21.5-nosmp-sdk/ for information on what
    is needed to build them.

    --
    Ed

  7. Re: spca module

    On 2007-11-30, Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
    >
    >> Robby Workman typed:
    >>> Sounds like you're using one of the non-smp kernels shipped with
    >>> Slackware. If this is intentional, and your box will not boot one of the
    >>> smp kernels, then see the 'linux-2.6.23.9-nosmp-sdk' directory in /extra
    >>> to convert your kernel sources from smp to non-smp.

    >> That suggests that it is preferable to use the SMP kernel(s). If so,
    >> might I know why?
    >>

    > Have you read $ftpmirror/slackware/slackware-12.0/CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT
    >
    > It is recommended that you use one of the generic kernels (either the plain
    > kernel-generic or kernel-generic-smp) for daily use. For most systems,
    > you should use the generic SMP kernel if it will run, even if your system
    > is not SMP-capable. Some newer hardware needs the local APIC enabled in
    > the SMP kernel, and theoretically there should not be a performance
    > penalty
    > with using the SMP-capable kernel on a uniprocessor machine, as the SMP
    > kernel tests for this and makes necessary adjustments. Furthermore, the
    > kernel sources shipped with Slackware 12.0 are configured for SMP usage,
    > so you won't have to modify those to build external out-of-tree modules
    > (such as NVidia or ATI proprietary drivers) if you use the SMP kernel.
    >
    > If you are using one of the non-SMP kernels (huge.s or generic.s) and need
    > to compile third-party modules (such as the proprietary NVidia driver),
    > have a look in /extra/linux-2.6.21.5-nosmp-sdk/ for information on what
    > is needed to build them.

    HAHA!

    I *knew* I had already typed all of that out *somewhere* - but I couldn't
    find it. I've searched all my posts at LinuxQuestions.org, here on AOLS,
    and various other places (including mailing lists), and I even looked in
    the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT for -current. Sad indeed. Guess what's going
    to be added to -current's CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT in the next update? ;-)

    -RW

  8. Re: spca module

    john connolly wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a funky web cam that requires the module gspca.ko, which
    > can be
    > built from the code available at http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html. I
    > used the webcam with this module and xawtv in slack 11 with kernel 2.6.18.
    > I recently switched to slack 12 and am using kernel 2.6.23.8. I have been
    > able to build the module ok, using the kernel source from the slackware
    > packages source, but when I try to install it I get:
    > FATAL: Error inserting gspca
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.23.8/kernel/drivers/usb/media/gspca.ko): Invalid module
    > format.
    > I have tried the suggestion from http://people.vnoss.org/~hxizan/
    > without
    > success.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks, jwc

    Hi again,
    I want to thank the responders and finish this thread. The problem was the
    incompatibility of kernel source code and kernel. The dmessage output
    of '686 vs '486' is the clue. The solution to the problem, suggested by
    several responders, is to install a kernel and source code (and modules)
    with the 686 flag (probably the 486 flag would work also but there doesn't
    seem to be any such source code available). The smp kernels are apparently
    the only ones with compatible source code. The module can be built but not
    installed if this compatibility doesn't exist. There is a conversion patch
    available but I chose not to go that route. For what it's worth I installed
    kernel-generic-smp-2.6.23.9_smp-i686-1 with accompanying source code and
    modules and everything works now.
    Cheers, jwc

  9. Re: spca module

    On 2007-11-30, john connolly wrote:
    > I want to thank the responders and finish this thread. The problem was the
    > incompatibility of kernel source code and kernel. The dmessage output
    > of '686 vs '486' is the clue. The solution to the problem, suggested by
    > several responders, is to install a kernel and source code (and modules)
    > with the 686 flag (probably the 486 flag would work also but there doesn't
    > seem to be any such source code available). The smp kernels are apparently
    > the only ones with compatible source code. The module can be built but not
    > installed if this compatibility doesn't exist. There is a conversion patch
    > available but I chose not to go that route. For what it's worth I installed
    > kernel-generic-smp-2.6.23.9_smp-i686-1 with accompanying source code and
    > modules and everything works now.

    Glad to hear that. Here's what I've got worked up for C&H:

    Use one of the provided generic kernels for daily use. Do not report
    bugs until/unless you have reproduced them using one of the stock
    generic kernels. You will need to create an initrd in order to boot
    the generic kernels - see /boot/README.initrd for instructions.

    As stated earlier, it is recommended that you use one of the generic kernels
    rather than the huge kernels; the huge kernels are primarily intended as
    "installer" and "emergency" kernels in case you forget to make an initrd.
    For most systems, you should use the generic SMP kernel if it will run,
    even if your system is not SMP-capable. Some newer hardware needs the
    local APIC enabled in the SMP kernel, and theoretically there should not be
    a performance penalty with using the SMP-capable kernel on a uniprocessor
    machine, as the SMP kernel tests for this and makes necessary adjustments.
    Furthermore, the kernel sources shipped with Slackware are configured for
    SMP usage, so you won't have to modify those to build external modules
    (such as NVidia or ATI proprietary drivers) if you use the SMP kernel.

    If you decide to use one of the non-SMP kernels, you will need to follow the
    instructions in /extra/linux-2.6.23.9-nosmp-sdk/README.TXT to modify your
    kernel sources for non-SMP usage. Note that this only applies if you are
    using the Slackware-provided non-SMP kernel - if you build a custom kernel,
    the symlinks at /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/{build,source} will point to the
    correct kernel source so long as you don't (re)move it.

    If you decide to use one of the huge kernels anyway, you will encounter
    errors like this:
    kobject_add failed for uhci_hcd with -EEXIST, don't try to register
    These occur because the respective drivers are compiled statically into the
    huge kernels but udev tries to load them anyway. These errors should be safe
    to ignore, but if you really don't want them to appear, you can blacklist the
    modules that try to load in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. However, make sure you
    remove them from the blacklist if you ever decide to use the (recommended)
    generic kernels.

    -RW

  10. Re: spca module

    Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
    >> Robby Workman typed:
    >>> Sounds like you're using one of the non-smp kernels shipped with
    >>> Slackware. If this is intentional, and your box will not boot one of
    >>> the smp kernels, then see the 'linux-2.6.23.9-nosmp-sdk' directory in
    >>> /extra to convert your kernel sources from smp to non-smp.

    >> That suggests that it is preferable to use the SMP kernel(s). If so,
    >> might I know why?
    >>

    > Have you read $ftpmirror/slackware/slackware-12.0/CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT

    No, I had not completely. Thanks.

    > It is recommended that you use one of the generic kernels (either the
    > plain
    > kernel-generic or kernel-generic-smp) for daily use. For most
    > systems, you should use the generic SMP kernel if it will run, even if
    > your system is not SMP-capable. Some newer hardware needs the local
    > APIC enabled in the SMP kernel, and theoretically there should not be
    > a performance
    > penalty
    > with using the SMP-capable kernel on a uniprocessor machine, as the
    > SMP kernel tests for this and makes necessary adjustments.
    > Furthermore, the kernel sources shipped with Slackware 12.0 are
    > configured for SMP usage, so you won't have to modify those to build
    > external out-of-tree modules (such as NVidia or ATI proprietary
    > drivers) if you use the SMP kernel.

    On a slightly different note, I'm using huge-smp, and find that it does
    not have support for acpi sleep compiled in (for example, /sys/power/
    state is empty and non-writable). Has that something to do with SMP?

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  11. Re: spca module

    On 2007-12-03, Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:

    > On a slightly different note, I'm using huge-smp, and find that it does
    > not have support for acpi sleep compiled in (for example, /sys/power/
    > state is empty and non-writable). Has that something to do with SMP?

    I don't think so - I just rebooted my laptop with the hugesmp.s kernel,
    and it's still fine here. Just for grins and giggles, I tried again
    without loading any of the acpi modules - still there. :/

    -RW

  12. Re: spca module

    Robby Workman typed:
    > On 2007-12-03, Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
    >> On a slightly different note, I'm using huge-smp, and find that it
    >> does not have support for acpi sleep compiled in (for example,
    >> /sys/power/state is empty and non-writable). Has that something to
    >> do with SMP?

    > I don't think so - I just rebooted my laptop with the hugesmp.s kernel,
    > and it's still fine here. Just for grins and giggles, I tried again
    > without loading any of the acpi modules - still there. :/

    That's weird, Robby. I'm using the stock huge-smp on Slackware-12, and
    I can't suspend to {disk,mem} or go into standby -- in other words,
    /sys/power/state is empty and cannot be written to.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  13. Re: spca module

  14. Re: spca module

    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    > On 2007-12-05, Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
    >> That's weird, Robby. I'm using the stock huge-smp on Slackware-12, and
    >> I can't suspend to {disk,mem} or go into standby -- in other words,
    >> /sys/power/state is empty and cannot be written to.

    > On an SMP system, the stock Slackware kernels will not suspend. I
    > cannot right now say if those files in /sys are present or not, but I
    > can say with certainty that they won't suspend on SMP machines. Why?
    > Well, the stock Slackware kernels didn't include cpu hotplug.
    >
    > CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
    >
    > Put that in your .config and recompile, then give it a test.

    Thanks. I will put it to a test this weekend. I don't have an SMP
    system, though. I also read somewhere that CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y is
    required for suspend/sleep, which the stock Slackware SMP kernels don't
    have.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  15. Re: spca module

    On 2007-12-05, Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
    > Robby Workman typed:
    >> On 2007-12-03, Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
    >>> On a slightly different note, I'm using huge-smp, and find that it
    >>> does not have support for acpi sleep compiled in (for example,
    >>> /sys/power/state is empty and non-writable). Has that something to
    >>> do with SMP?

    >> I don't think so - I just rebooted my laptop with the hugesmp.s kernel,
    >> and it's still fine here. Just for grins and giggles, I tried again
    >> without loading any of the acpi modules - still there. :/

    > That's weird, Robby. I'm using the stock huge-smp on Slackware-12, and
    > I can't suspend to {disk,mem} or go into standby -- in other words,
    > /sys/power/state is empty and cannot be written to.

    Well, after reading Alan's reply, I realized that I neglected to
    mention an important detail: I tested on my laptop, which is running
    -current, so... since the -current kernel does not have the issues
    mentioned by Alan, well, you get the idea

    -RW

  16. Re: spca module

+ Reply to Thread