Very Slow Downloads 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Very Slow Downloads 12.0 - Slackware ; I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and have the same dialup package, and they are all getting download speeds 4X faster than I am. I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and
    have the same dialup package, and they are all getting download
    speeds 4X faster than I am.

    I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.

    I've checked my speed with mutt, firefox, links, wget, and
    ncftp and with my minimal X install up and down. Doesn't change.

    With firefox I notice that on almost every site it is continually
    losing and re-establishing the connection or stopping and resuming
    downloads:

    "waiting for http://www.somewhere.com"

    is interrupted by

    "transferring date from http:...."

    Or vice-versa.

    Often, it reverts to "connecting to http:...."

    I must have some process running that's causing this problem, but
    don't have a clue as to what it is. Here's the output of ps ax with
    the X and the agetty stuff stripped off:

    PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
    1 ? Ss 0:01 init [3]
    2 ? SN 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
    3 ? S< 0:00 [events/0]
    4 ? S< 0:00 [khelper]
    5 ? S< 0:00 [kthread]
    82 ? S< 0:00 [kblockd/0]
    83 ? S< 0:00 [kacpid]
    148 ? S< 0:00 [ata/0]
    149 ? S< 0:00 [ata_aux]
    150 ? S< 0:00 [ksuspend_usbd]
    153 ? S< 0:00 [khubd]
    155 ? S< 0:00 [kseriod]
    167 ? S< 0:00 [khpsbpkt]
    175 ? S 0:00 [pdflush]
    176 ? S 0:00 [pdflush]
    177 ? S< 0:00 [kswapd0]
    178 ? S< 0:00 [aio/0]
    179 ? S< 0:00 [jfsIO]
    180 ? S< 0:00 [jfsCommit]
    181 ? S< 0:00 [jfsSync]
    182 ? S< 0:00 [xfslogd/0]
    183 ? S< 0:00 [xfsdatad/0]
    184 ? S< 0:00 [ocfs2_wq]
    185 ? S< 0:00 [user_dlm]
    857 ? S< 0:00 [scsi_tgtd/0]
    906 ? S< 0:00 [exec-osm/0]
    911 ? S< 0:00 [block-osm/0]
    968 ? S< 0:00 [kcryptd/0]
    1035 ? S< 0:00 [kpsmoused]
    1130 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    1135 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
    1147 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/crond -l10

    Anyone see a likely culprit?

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  2. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100 (CET)
    Tom N wrote:

    > I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and
    > have the same dialup package, and they are all getting download
    > speeds 4X faster than I am.
    >
    > I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.
    >
    > I've checked my speed with mutt, firefox, links, wget, and
    > ncftp and with my minimal X install up and down. Doesn't change.
    >
    > With firefox I notice that on almost every site it is continually
    > losing and re-establishing the connection or stopping and resuming
    > downloads:
    >
    > "waiting for http://www.somewhere.com"
    >
    > is interrupted by
    >
    > "transferring date from http:...."
    >
    > Or vice-versa.
    >
    > Often, it reverts to "connecting to http:...."
    >
    > I must have some process running that's causing this problem, but
    > don't have a clue as to what it is. Here's the output of ps ax with
    > the X and the agetty stuff stripped off:
    >
    > PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
    > 1 ? Ss 0:01 init [3]
    > 2 ? SN 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
    > 3 ? S< 0:00 [events/0]
    > 4 ? S< 0:00 [khelper]
    > 5 ? S< 0:00 [kthread]
    > 82 ? S< 0:00 [kblockd/0]
    > 83 ? S< 0:00 [kacpid]
    > 148 ? S< 0:00 [ata/0]
    > 149 ? S< 0:00 [ata_aux]
    > 150 ? S< 0:00 [ksuspend_usbd]
    > 153 ? S< 0:00 [khubd]
    > 155 ? S< 0:00 [kseriod]
    > 167 ? S< 0:00 [khpsbpkt]
    > 175 ? S 0:00 [pdflush]
    > 176 ? S 0:00 [pdflush]
    > 177 ? S< 0:00 [kswapd0]
    > 178 ? S< 0:00 [aio/0]
    > 179 ? S< 0:00 [jfsIO]
    > 180 ? S< 0:00 [jfsCommit]
    > 181 ? S< 0:00 [jfsSync]
    > 182 ? S< 0:00 [xfslogd/0]
    > 183 ? S< 0:00 [xfsdatad/0]
    > 184 ? S< 0:00 [ocfs2_wq]
    > 185 ? S< 0:00 [user_dlm]
    > 857 ? S< 0:00 [scsi_tgtd/0]
    > 906 ? S< 0:00 [exec-osm/0]
    > 911 ? S< 0:00 [block-osm/0]
    > 968 ? S< 0:00 [kcryptd/0]
    > 1035 ? S< 0:00 [kpsmoused]
    > 1130 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    > 1135 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
    > 1147 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/crond -l10
    >
    > Anyone see a likely culprit?
    >
    > Tom

    Is it possible that there is a machine with the same IP as yours in the
    network? I had those problems too until I found out that there was
    another PC with my IP address.

    Sebastian

  3. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and have the
    > same dialup package, and they are all getting download speeds 4X faster
    > than I am.

    That sort of incident happens a lot IRL when you have
    to travel a bit, quarter of an hour ago when your neighbour
    drove by this hiway was a stairway to the stars and still
    you're three hours late at work after him though you bought
    the same year that same car.

    > I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.
    >
    > I've checked my speed with mutt, firefox, links, wget, and ncftp and
    > with my minimal X install up and down. Doesn't change.

    Do you have any possibility to get one of these 'people' to your
    place with their equipment to make a comparative test?
    Or take your equipment (modem included) to some of these 'people'
    and make the same kinda comparative bench?

    > With firefox I notice that on almost every site it is continually losing
    > and re-establishing the connection or stopping and resuming downloads:
    >
    > "waiting for http://www.somewhere.com"
    >
    > is interrupted by
    >
    > "transferring date from http:...."
    >
    > Or vice-versa.
    >
    > Often, it reverts to "connecting to http:...."
    >
    > I must have some process running that's causing this problem, but don't
    > have a clue as to what it is. Here's the output of ps ax with the X and
    > the agetty stuff stripped off:

    I don't see any process here that'd eat your bandwidth except
    maybe what's not in the list may include graphic/sound device
    usage and I don't know if your soundcard or gfx card isn't just
    a chip or a slave that includes modem (some rats are scarce when then
    sell you DSPs ten times the price ;-)

    Though, I don't think that's the most probable possibility

    > Anyone see a likely culprit?

    The culprit are usually (listed in nor peculiar order):

    - [wornout|bad|cheap|justdead]cables
    - radio
    - [wornout|bad|cheap|justdead]cable connector[s]
    - heavy magnets (TV, radio, big amps, you see the idea)
    - [wornout|bad|cheap|justdead]cable owner
    thereafter may also be listed a few BOFH excusesOTD like
    - radon peak
    - nuclear attack in the ants hives
    - the borg juste ate your phone base
    - Frunobulax's back and she's mean ;-)

  4. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    wrote:

    >I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and
    >have the same dialup package, and they are all getting download
    >speeds 4X faster than I am.
    >
    >I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.
    >
    >I've checked my speed with mutt, firefox, links, wget, and
    >ncftp and with my minimal X install up and down. Doesn't change.
    >
    >With firefox I notice that on almost every site it is continually
    >losing and re-establishing the connection or stopping and resuming
    >downloads:
    >
    >"waiting for http://www.somewhere.com"
    >
    >is interrupted by
    >
    >"transferring date from http:...."
    >
    >Or vice-versa.
    >
    >Often, it reverts to "connecting to http:...."
    >
    >I must have some process running that's causing this problem, but
    >don't have a clue as to what it is. Here's the output of ps ax with
    >the X and the agetty stuff stripped off:
    >
    > PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
    > 1 ? Ss 0:01 init [3]
    > 2 ? SN 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
    > 3 ? S< 0:00 [events/0]
    > 4 ? S< 0:00 [khelper]
    > 5 ? S< 0:00 [kthread]
    > 82 ? S< 0:00 [kblockd/0]
    > 83 ? S< 0:00 [kacpid]
    > 148 ? S< 0:00 [ata/0]
    > 149 ? S< 0:00 [ata_aux]
    > 150 ? S< 0:00 [ksuspend_usbd]
    > 153 ? S< 0:00 [khubd]
    > 155 ? S< 0:00 [kseriod]
    > 167 ? S< 0:00 [khpsbpkt]
    > 175 ? S 0:00 [pdflush]
    > 176 ? S 0:00 [pdflush]
    > 177 ? S< 0:00 [kswapd0]
    > 178 ? S< 0:00 [aio/0]
    > 179 ? S< 0:00 [jfsIO]
    > 180 ? S< 0:00 [jfsCommit]
    > 181 ? S< 0:00 [jfsSync]
    > 182 ? S< 0:00 [xfslogd/0]
    > 183 ? S< 0:00 [xfsdatad/0]
    > 184 ? S< 0:00 [ocfs2_wq]
    > 185 ? S< 0:00 [user_dlm]
    > 857 ? S< 0:00 [scsi_tgtd/0]
    > 906 ? S< 0:00 [exec-osm/0]
    > 911 ? S< 0:00 [block-osm/0]
    > 968 ? S< 0:00 [kcryptd/0]
    > 1035 ? S< 0:00 [kpsmoused]
    > 1130 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    > 1135 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x
    > 1147 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/crond -l10
    >
    >Anyone see a likely culprit?
    >
    >Tom

    Where is pppd?

    I suspect you're looking in the wrong place. The most likely problem
    is that the dialup connection is not working correctly. That could be
    due to line noise, but more likely bad configuration. When ppp
    connects, the software reports its connection info, so check that.
    There are several software packages for establishing a dial up
    connection; try a different one. Maybe you can try connecting from a
    different location - possibly connecting the modem there to your
    serial port.

    If all that fails, have the ISP monitor the connection while the bad
    things are happening. Maybe they'll see the problem.
    --
    buck

  5. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-27, Sebastian Fedrau wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100 (CET)
    > Tom N wrote:

    Sebastian,

    > Is it possible that there is a machine with the same IP as yours in the
    > network? I had those problems too until I found out that there was
    > another PC with my IP address.

    Oh god. I have to talk with the ignorant tech support people at my ISP,
    who are more interested in covering their asses than helping me?

    Hope you are wrong, but I do appreciate the feedback.

    I located someone else who is having the same problem. He thinks
    the ISP is slowly, sneakily, choking the dialup accounts in order to
    pressure people into getting ADSL. He's had no luck with tech support
    there. They just tell him everything is okay and imply that he's crazy.

    I will be getting a faster connection, but it won't be with these people.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  6. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-27, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and have the
    >> same dialup package, and they are all getting download speeds 4X faster
    >> than I am.

    > That sort of incident happens a lot IRL when you have
    > to travel a bit, quarter of an hour ago when your neighbour
    > drove by this hiway was a stairway to the stars and still
    > you're three hours late at work after him though you bought
    > the same year that same car.
    >
    >> I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.
    >>
    >> I've checked my speed with mutt, firefox, links, wget, and ncftp and
    >> with my minimal X install up and down. Doesn't change.

    > Do you have any possibility to get one of these 'people' to your
    > place with their equipment to make a comparative test?
    > Or take your equipment (modem included) to some of these 'people'
    > and make the same kinda comparative bench?

    I don't think so, but will look into it.

    Maybe I could get one of them to use my password and the same
    dialup phone number, even if it is long distance, and pay the bill.

    Or find a nearby Windows user with dialup who could check out
    the speeds here with his/her box.

    >> With firefox I notice that on almost every site it is continually losing
    >> and re-establishing the connection or stopping and resuming downloads:
    >>
    >> "waiting for http://www.somewhere.com"
    >>
    >> is interrupted by
    >>
    >> "transferring date from http:...."
    >>
    >> Or vice-versa.
    >>
    >> Often, it reverts to "connecting to http:...."
    >>
    >> I must have some process running that's causing this problem, but don't
    >> have a clue as to what it is. Here's the output of ps ax with the X and
    >> the agetty stuff stripped off:

    > I don't see any process here that'd eat your bandwidth except
    > maybe what's not in the list may include graphic/sound device
    > usage and I don't know if your soundcard or gfx card isn't just
    > a chip or a slave that includes modem (some rats are scarce when then
    > sell you DSPs ten times the price ;-)

    Don't know what a DSP is. The problem existed before I installed X or
    sound, and both of those functions are handled by the same chipset.

    > Though, I don't think that's the most probable possibility
    >
    >> Anyone see a likely culprit?

    > The culprit are usually (listed in nor peculiar order):
    >
    > - [wornout|bad|cheap|justdead]cables
    > - radio
    > - [wornout|bad|cheap|justdead]cable connector[s]
    > - heavy magnets (TV, radio, big amps, you see the idea)
    > - [wornout|bad|cheap|justdead]cable owner

    Oh boy.

    > thereafter may also be listed a few BOFH excusesOTD like
    > - radon peak
    > - nuclear attack in the ants hives
    > - the borg juste ate your phone base
    > - Frunobulax's back and she's mean ;-)

    :-)

    Thanks, Loki,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  7. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-27, buck wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100 (CET), Tom N
    > wrote:

    > Where is pppd?

    /usr/sbin/pppd

    > I suspect you're looking in the wrong place. The most likely problem
    > is that the dialup connection is not working correctly. That could be
    > due to line noise, but more likely bad configuration.

    Never thought of that!

    > When ppp
    > connects, the software reports its connection info, so check that.

    Nov 27 16:50:30 darkstar pppd[1926]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
    Nov 27 16:50:31 darkstar chat[1931]: abort on (BUSY)
    Nov 27 16:50:31 darkstar chat[1931]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
    Nov 27 16:50:31 darkstar chat[1931]: abort on (VOICE)
    Nov 27 16:50:31 darkstar chat[1931]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
    Nov 27 16:50:31 darkstar chat[1931]: send (ATZW2^M)
    Nov 27 16:50:31 darkstar chat[1931]: expect (OK)
    Nov 27 16:50:32 darkstar chat[1931]: ATZW2^M^M
    Nov 27 16:50:32 darkstar chat[1931]: OK
    Nov 27 16:50:32 darkstar chat[1931]: -- got it
    Nov 27 16:50:32 darkstar chat[1931]: send (ATDT[deleted]^M)
    Nov 27 16:50:32 darkstar chat[1931]: expect (ogin)
    Nov 27 16:50:32 darkstar chat[1931]: ^M
    Nov 27 16:51:04 darkstar chat[1931]: ATDT[deleted]^M^M
    Nov 27 16:51:04 darkstar chat[1931]: CONNECT 53333 V44^M
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: ^M
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]:
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar last message repeated 23 times
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: GlobalPOPS^M
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: ^M
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: ^M
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: Username:/login
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: -- got it
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: send (tom@somewhere.net^M)
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: expect (word)
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: :/Login:tom@somewhere.net^M
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: Password
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: -- got it
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar chat[1931]: send (??????)
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar pppd[1926]: Serial connection established.
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar pppd[1926]: Using interface ppp0
    Nov 27 16:51:09 darkstar pppd[1926]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    Nov 27 16:51:14 darkstar pppd[1926]: local IP address [deleted]
    Nov 27 16:51:14 darkstar pppd[1926]: remote IP address [deleted]

    > There are several software packages for establishing a dial up
    > connection; try a different one. Maybe you can try connecting from a
    > different location - possibly connecting the modem there to your
    > serial port.

    Okay.

    > If all that fails, have the ISP monitor the connection while the bad
    > things are happening. Maybe they'll see the problem.

    I'll run the debug option I just found in man pppd, too.

    Thanks, buck,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  8. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Tom N wrote:

    > I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.

    I'm getting the same speeds over dialup with SW 12 as I have with any
    other version. I'm using my own scripts from way back when though (one
    is a script that calls pppd directly, and uses a chat script that was
    based on output from minicom).

    - Kurt

  9. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-28, ~kurt wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >> I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.

    > I'm getting the same speeds over dialup with SW 12 as I have with any
    > other version. I'm using my own scripts from way back when though (one
    > is a script that calls pppd directly, and uses a chat script that was
    > based on output from minicom).
    >
    > - Kurt

    That's what I have. pppd and chat. Got the chatscript and pppd config file
    from someone who has used them for ages and still does for his backup
    ISP. He said he'd had to make a couple of minor modifications for the
    latest pppd....

    Thanks Kurt. I figure it must be my ISP at this point. They'll be history
    soon. I really have to have a faster connection.

    Just got to get off my butt and do the business deal with clearwire.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  10. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-27, Tom N wrote:
    > I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and
    > have the same dialup package, and they are all getting download
    > speeds 4X faster than I am.
    >
    > I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.

    I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    (with debug enabled for pppd):

    Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error

    Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    Tom

  11. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:31:19 +0100, Tom N did catÂ*:

    > On 2007-11-27, Tom N wrote:
    >> I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and have the
    >> same dialup package, and they are all getting download speeds 4X faster
    >> than I am.
    >>
    >> I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.

    > I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    > (with debug enabled for pppd):
    >
    > Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >
    > Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    That's probably due to a bad quality connection (possible reasons
    already listed)..
    You may try to tune your pppd options file, put the settings
    'novj' and/or 'novjcomp' somewhere in it, that may be enough
    if your cnx is not *too* bad.

  12. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Hallo, Tom,

    Du (tom) meintest am 29.11.07:

    > I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    > (with debug enabled for pppd):

    > Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error

    > Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    That's a kernel compiling option.
    Have you compiled your own kernel with special options?

    The option appears (in the .config file) in the "old ISDN4Linux"
    chapter; "CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ"

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  13. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-29, Loki Harfagr wrote:
    > Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:31:19 +0100, Tom N did cat*:
    >
    >> On 2007-11-27, Tom N wrote:
    >>> I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and have the
    >>> same dialup package, and they are all getting download speeds 4X faster
    >>> than I am.
    >>>
    >>> I get an average of 1.3Kb/second and they get an average of 5.6Kbs.

    >> I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    >> (with debug enabled for pppd):
    >>
    >> Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >>
    >> Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    Hi Loki,

    > That's probably due to a bad quality connection (possible reasons
    > already listed)..
    > You may try to tune your pppd options file, put the settings
    > 'novj' and/or 'novjcomp' somewhere in it, that may be enough
    > if your cnx is not *too* bad.

    Will give them a try. Thanks.

    A friend let me use their dialup number and password to check if
    it's my ISP, and it apparently isn't. I got the same errors with theirs.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  14. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-29, Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > Hallo, Tom,
    >
    > Du (tom) meintest am 29.11.07:
    >
    >> I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    >> (with debug enabled for pppd):

    >> Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error

    >> Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    Greetings, Helmut,

    > That's a kernel compiling option.
    > Have you compiled your own kernel with special options?

    I am using the "huge" kernel that came with 12.0.

    > The option appears (in the .config file) in the "old ISDN4Linux"
    > chapter; "CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ"

    I grepped the config file for PPP:

    CONFIG_HDLC_PPP=m
    # CONFIG_PC300_MLPPP is not set
    # Cyclades-PC300 MLPPP support is disabled.
    CONFIG_PPP=m
    CONFIG_PPP_MULTILINK=y
    CONFIG_PPP_FILTER=y
    CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
    CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
    CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
    CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
    CONFIG_PPP_MPPE=m
    CONFIG_PPPOE=m
    CONFIG_PPPOATM=m
    CONFIG_ISDN_PPP=y
    CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ=y <<<<<<<<<<<
    CONFIG_IPPP_FILTER=y
    CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_BSDCOMP=m

    This is lsmod grepped for ppp:

    ppp_deflate 4736 0
    ppp_async 8832 1
    crc_ccitt 1920 1 ppp_async
    ppp_generic 21780 7 ppp_deflate,bsd_comp,ppp_async
    slhc 6144 1 ppp_generic

    Are you saying that I need to re-compile the kernel and remove
    that option, or make it a module, if possible?

    > Viele Gruesse!

    Going to tell me what that means?

    :-)

    Thanks,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  15. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Hallo, Tom,

    Du (tom) meintest am 29.11.07:

    >>> I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    >>> (with debug enabled for pppd):

    >>> Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error

    >>> Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    > Greetings, Helmut,

    >> That's a kernel compiling option.
    >> Have you compiled your own kernel with special options?

    > I am using the "huge" kernel that came with 12.0.

    >> The option appears (in the .config file) in the "old ISDN4Linux"
    >> chapter; "CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ"

    Perhaps you ask too in de.comp.os.unix.linux.isdn

    Asking in english is allowed, you get (if possible) answers in english
    (or some strange gerlish ...).

    > This is lsmod grepped for ppp:

    > ppp_deflate 4736 0
    > ppp_async 8832 1
    > crc_ccitt 1920 1 ppp_async
    > ppp_generic 21780 7 ppp_deflate,bsd_comp,ppp_async
    > slhc 6144 1 ppp_generic

    Do you use isdn4linux or i4m?

    I use isdn4linux, ans

    modprobe -c | grep isdn

    shows (among other lines)

    isdn_ppp_register_compressor

    May be that's VJ compression (I don't know).

    Appears

    kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error

    always or only sometimes?

    Sometimes: may be an error "on the other side".

    >> Viele Gruesse!

    > Going to tell me what that means?

    http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=de

    "viele" = "much", "many"

    "Gruesse"/"Grüße" = "regards"

    Grüße {pl} [anhören] regards [anhören]

    einen schönen Gruß an; viele Grüße an give my regards to

    mit freundlichen Grüßen (MfG); mit besten Grüßen [anhören] Yours sincerely; With kind regards; With best regards; Kindest regards; Sincerely [anhören]

    herzliche Grüße love; with love; best wishes [anhören] [anhören]

    herzliche Grüße; mit herzlichen Grüßen (an) (vertraut) Kind regards; Best regards (to) [anhören] [anhören]

    mit lieben Grüßen fondest regards

    Please excuse my gerlish!

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  16. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Helmut,
    On 2007-11-29, Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > Hallo, Tom,
    >
    > Du (tom) meintest am 29.11.07:

    >> Greetings, Helmut,

    >>> That's a kernel compiling option.
    >>> Have you compiled your own kernel with special options?

    >> I am using the "huge" kernel that came with 12.0.

    >>> The option appears (in the .config file) in the "old ISDN4Linux"
    >>> chapter; "CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ"

    > Perhaps you ask too in de.comp.os.unix.linux.isdn
    >
    > Asking in english is allowed, you get (if possible) answers in english
    > (or some strange gerlish ...).

    This is the only Usenet newsgroup I am on, but I will try if it
    appears necessary.

    >> This is lsmod grepped for ppp:

    >> ppp_deflate 4736 0
    >> ppp_async 8832 1
    >> crc_ccitt 1920 1 ppp_async
    >> ppp_generic 21780 7 ppp_deflate,bsd_comp,ppp_async
    >> slhc 6144 1 ppp_generic

    > Do you use isdn4linux or i4m?

    I apparently have isdn capablity. Locate lists a lot of modules
    and some header files, but there's no process running by that
    name and none of those modules loaded. My only network connection is PPP.

    Locate i4m gives nothing.

    > I use isdn4linux, ans
    >
    > modprobe -c | grep isdn
    >
    > shows (among other lines)
    >
    > isdn_ppp_register_compressor
    >
    > May be that's VJ compression (I don't know).

    root@darkstar:~# modprobe -c | grep isdn
    alias symbol:isdnhdlc_decode isdnhdlc
    alias symbol:isdnhdlc_rcv_init isdnhdlc
    alias symbol:register_isdn isdn
    alias symbol:isdn_ppp_register_compressor isdn
    alias symbol:isdn_register_divert isdn
    alias symbol:isdnhdlc_encode isdnhdlc
    alias symbol:isdn_ppp_unregister_compressor isdn
    alias symbol:isdnhdlc_out_init isdnhdlc

    But none of them are loaded.

    > Appears
    >
    > kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >
    > always or only sometimes?

    Always, when the PPP connection is being set up. That
    error message occurs many times, then.

    > Sometimes: may be an error "on the other side".

    I don't think so. I used a friend's password and dialup
    number for a different ISP and got the same result.

    >>> Viele Gruesse!

    >> Going to tell me what that means?

    > http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=de
    >
    > "viele" = "much", "many"
    >
    > "Gruesse"/"Grüße" = "regards"
    >
    > Grüße {pl} [anhören] regards [anhören]
    >
    > einen schönen Gruß an; viele Grüße an give my regards to
    >
    > mit freundlichen Grüßen (MfG); mit besten Grüßen [anhören] Yours sincerely; With kind regards; With best regards; Kindest regards; Sincerely [anhören]
    >
    > herzliche Grüße love; with love; best wishes [anhören] [anhören]
    >
    > herzliche Grüße; mit herzlichen Grüßen (an) (vertraut) Kind regards; Best regards (to) [anhören] [anhören]
    >
    > mit lieben Grüßen fondest regards

    :-)

    Thanks.

    > Please excuse my gerlish!

    I have no trouble at all understanding you, Helmut.

    Be very thankful that you are not trying to understand my German. Because I don't have any.

    Many regards,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  17. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Hallo, Tom,

    Du (tom) meintest am 29.11.07:

    >>> This is lsmod grepped for ppp:

    >>> ppp_deflate 4736 0
    >>> ppp_async 8832 1
    >>> crc_ccitt 1920 1 ppp_async
    >>> ppp_generic 21780 7 ppp_deflate,bsd_comp,ppp_async
    >>> slhc 6144 1 ppp_generic

    "hisax" should be loaded.

    > root@darkstar:~# modprobe -c | grep isdn
    > alias symbol:isdnhdlc_decode isdnhdlc
    > alias symbol:isdnhdlc_rcv_init isdnhdlc
    > alias symbol:register_isdn isdn
    > alias symbol:isdn_ppp_register_compressor isdn
    > alias symbol:isdn_register_divert isdn
    > alias symbol:isdnhdlc_encode isdnhdlc
    > alias symbol:isdn_ppp_unregister_compressor isdn
    > alias symbol:isdnhdlc_out_init isdnhdlc

    > But none of them are loaded.

    Looks like "isdn4linux", and I presume that "modprobe hisax" loads the
    necessary components (but no special module for every part).

    >> Please excuse my gerlish!

    > I have no trouble at all understanding you, Helmut.

    My wife mourns sometimes ...

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  18. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-11-29, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    Helmut,

    > May be that's VJ compression (I don't know).
    >

    > Appears
    >
    > kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >
    > always or only sometimes?

    I was wrong. It only happens sometimes!

    What could this mean?

    Apparently the same modules are loaded each time,
    though I will check that carefully.

    Tom

  19. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Helmut,
    On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-11-29, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Helmut,
    >
    >> May be that's VJ compression (I don't know).
    >>

    >> Appears
    >>
    >> kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >>
    >> always or only sometimes?

    > I was wrong. It only happens sometimes!
    >
    > What could this mean?
    >
    > Apparently the same modules are loaded each time,
    > though I will check that carefully.
    >
    > Tom

    I just checked dmesg. Apparently, that error only happens on
    boot:

    NET: Registered protocol family 10
    lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
    PPP BSD Compression module registered
    PPP Deflate Compression module registered
    ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
    ISO 9660 Extensions: IEEE_P1282
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    PPP: VJ uncompressed error

    So you must be right about it being the kernel. I bring
    up PPP manually, not on boot.

    Can that functionality be disabled with a boot-time lilo command?

    Got a get some sleep. Hope to see you tomorrow.

    Cheers,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  20. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    Tom N wrote:

    > I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    > (with debug enabled for pppd):
    >
    > Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >
    > Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    I just checked mine out of curiosity since I'm on dialup too - no
    similar error here, and I'm still using the standard
    vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel.

    - Kurt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast