Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-12-01, ~kurt wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >> I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    >> (with debug enabled for pppd):
    >>
    >> Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >>
    >> Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    > I just checked mine out of curiosity since I'm on dialup too - no
    > similar error here, and I'm still using the standard
    > vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel.

    Thanks, Kurt. Know what? That error has vanished completely, for
    no detectable (by me, which isn't saying much) reason.

    Still getting sluggish speeds, but I'm pretty sure it's the ISP.

    I am using the non-SMP huge kernel. Only have one CPU.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  2. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 05:52:56 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > On 2007-12-01, ~kurt wrote:
    >> Tom N wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I think I've located the source of my problem. From /var/log/syslog
    >>> (with debug enabled for pppd):
    >>>
    >>> Nov 28 09:23:48 darkstar kernel: PPP: VJ uncompressed error
    >>>
    >>> Don't know what it means, though, or what to do about it.

    >> I just checked mine out of curiosity since I'm on dialup too - no
    >> similar error here, and I'm still using the standard
    >> vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel.

    > Thanks, Kurt. Know what? That error has vanished completely, for no
    > detectable (by me, which isn't saying much) reason.
    >
    > Still getting sluggish speeds, but I'm pretty sure it's the ISP.

    Though, you wrote in another post:
    "A friend let me use their dialup number and password to check if
    it's my ISP, and it apparently isn't."

    I thought that meant you had the same slugginess with their
    ISP connection, thay'd mean the problem is probably on the side
    of your connectors and/or all what listed previously ;-)
    It's getting dark in here )
    drop stone
    take diamond
    take torch
    hold torch
    South
    talk dwarf
    give diamond
    cross bridge

  3. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-12-01, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 05:52:56 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >>> I just checked mine out of curiosity since I'm on dialup too - no
    >>> similar error here, and I'm still using the standard
    >>> vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp kernel.

    >> Thanks, Kurt. Know what? That error has vanished completely, for no
    >> detectable (by me, which isn't saying much) reason.
    >>
    >> Still getting sluggish speeds, but I'm pretty sure it's the ISP.

    > Though, you wrote in another post:
    > "A friend let me use their dialup number and password to check if
    > it's my ISP, and it apparently isn't."

    Well, Loki, that's what happens when you investigate a problem.
    You learn more and change your ideas. If you knew it all you
    wouldn't have the problem, would you?

    > I thought that meant you had the same slugginess with their
    > ISP connection, thay'd mean the problem is probably on the side
    > of your connectors and/or all what listed previously ;-)

    Yes. That's what I thought then. You weren't hallucinating.

    > It's getting dark in here )
    > drop stone
    > take diamond
    > take torch
    > hold torch
    > South
    > talk dwarf
    > give diamond
    > cross bridge

    There was a young man from Kent
    Whose dong was so long that it bent
    To save himself trouble
    He folded it double
    Then instead of coming
    He went

    Hmmmmm....I think you are the better poet.

    :-)

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  4. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:34:32 -0800,
    buck wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100 (CET), Tom N
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and
    >>have the same dialup package, and they are all getting download
    >>speeds 4X faster than I am.

    > I suspect you're looking in the wrong place. The most likely
    > problem is that the dialup connection is not working correctly.
    > That could be due to line noise, but more likely bad
    > configuration.

    Good suggestion. I've seen folks have problems with the modem
    training piece during connections. In some cases they have
    improved the situation by testing a range of connection speeds and
    then specifying the allowed speeds rather than letting the modems
    negotiate it. In some cases having to redial until you hit a
    modem that will agree to your set speed may be preferable to
    having successful first try but sub-optimal connections.

    --
    Theodore (Ted) Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

  5. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:15:59 -0500, Theodore Heise wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:34:32 -0800,
    > buck wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100 (CET), Tom N
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and have the
    >>>same dialup package, and they are all getting download speeds 4X faster
    >>>than I am.

    >> I suspect you're looking in the wrong place. The most likely problem
    >> is that the dialup connection is not working correctly. That could be
    >> due to line noise, but more likely bad configuration.

    > Good suggestion. I've seen folks have problems with the modem training
    > piece during connections. In some cases they have improved the
    > situation by testing a range of connection speeds and then specifying
    > the allowed speeds rather than letting the modems negotiate it. In some
    > cases having to redial until you hit a modem that will agree to your set
    > speed may be preferable to having successful first try but sub-optimal
    > connections.

    This is true.

    That was my case some years ago with my 33.6K and/or 56K modems,
    I first started to get the habit of making a first doomed cnx
    then hang up and quiclky launch again like if believing the modem
    had to get a small time of warming up before the real play :-)
    After a while I finally set up the configuration of the
    modem negociation to fixed 43333 (or about, that's just a lost memory now)
    and never changed it until I changed for cable and dsl.

    When I tested the cable I soon had to know that no Cat5
    cord was born equal and when I swapped to dsl I rediscovered
    the pleasure and chores of getting my plugs copper contacts clean,
    keep the cords in good shape and teach the maids to not be too harsh
    when they met each other. I'm sorry that I couldn't find a
    way to tell the cats so all in all I have to check it all once
    a week.

    The end of this long boring tale is that most all of the
    connection problems are on the private side of the connection.

    This notion is usually kept secret because this knowledge
    would put the helpdesk services and phone companies to
    a big end if they did suddenly lose the gravy train of
    calls for nought.

  6. Re: Very Slow Downloads 12.0

    On 2007-12-01, Theodore Heise wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:34:32 -0800,
    > buck wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:57 +0100 (CET), Tom N
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've managed to find several other people who use my ISP and
    >>>have the same dialup package, and they are all getting download
    >>>speeds 4X faster than I am.

    >> I suspect you're looking in the wrong place. The most likely
    >> problem is that the dialup connection is not working correctly.
    >> That could be due to line noise, but more likely bad
    >> configuration.

    > Good suggestion. I've seen folks have problems with the modem
    > training piece during connections. In some cases they have
    > improved the situation by testing a range of connection speeds and
    > then specifying the allowed speeds rather than letting the modems
    > negotiate it. In some cases having to redial until you hit a
    > modem that will agree to your set speed may be preferable to
    > having successful first try but sub-optimal connections.

    Excellent. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43