vista and lilo trouble - Slackware

This is a discussion on vista and lilo trouble - Slackware ; Hi all, I am one of the "unlucky" guy having bought a notebook carrying win vista installed. I have installed slackware since version 8.0 and this is the first time having this kind of problem. Basically, the installation goes fine ...

  1. vista and lilo trouble

    Hi all,
    I am one of the "unlucky" guy having bought a notebook carrying win
    vista installed. I have installed slackware since version 8.0 and this
    is the first time having this kind of problem. Basically, the
    installation goes fine until the installation of lilo on the mbr.
    Afterthat, linux boot normally but vista does not. Gooogling around it
    seems that the new microsoft product does not like write the mbr.
    People is suggesting to write lilo in the root dir and then use
    easybcd software in order to manage both OS. Friends of mine did not
    have problem with ubuntu with another notebook but ubuntu uses grub.
    Any help in order to use lilo on mbr along with vista?
    Thanks in advance,

    spirix

  2. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    xspirix wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am one of the "unlucky" guy having bought a notebook carrying win
    > vista installed. I have installed slackware since version 8.0 and this
    > is the first time having this kind of problem. Basically, the
    > installation goes fine until the installation of lilo on the mbr.
    > Afterthat, linux boot normally but vista does not. Gooogling around it
    > seems that the new microsoft product does not like write the mbr.
    > People is suggesting to write lilo in the root dir and then use
    > easybcd software in order to manage both OS. Friends of mine did not
    > have problem with ubuntu with another notebook but ubuntu uses grub.
    > Any help in order to use lilo on mbr along with vista?
    > Thanks in advance,

    I am not using vista. But you should be a little more verbose. What's
    your /etc/lilo.conf? what happens when you run lilo and what happens
    exactly when you try to boot Vista?

    If you say that it works with grub and Ubuntu; I guess the problem is
    not that Vista does like change to the mbr (because grub do the same).
    (it is possible to install lilo on the root partition and make this
    partition active; provided the mbr is the standard one).

    You can use grub on Slackware (it is present in extra, and there is even
    a configuration utility). You can try to see how it is configured on
    Ubuntu and do the same for Slackware.

    Good to know: you can uninstall lilo and put a standard mbr with the
    command:
    lilo -M /dev/hda mbr
    (where /dev/hda denote your main disk, it could also be /dev/sda).

    Olive

  3. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 04:24:48 -0800, xspirix wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I am one of the "unlucky" guy having bought a notebook carrying win

    > installation goes fine until the installation of lilo on the mbr.
    > Afterthat, linux boot normally but vista does not. Gooogling around it

    > spirix

    You can install grub, its in "extra" packages.

    I *think* that Vista boots like XP, add an entry similar to XP.

  4. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    xspirix wrote:
    > Any help in order to use lilo on mbr along with vista?

    no help to offer, but i can say that my work machine has vista, and
    (although i'm having trouble installing slack 12.0), i've been able to
    install slackware 11 with the 2.4 kernel and lilo in the mbr, and vista
    still boots.

    so it's probably not vista that's causing the problem, or at least not
    vista alone. but in order for anyone here to be able to help you, you'll
    need to tell us a bit more. what is your lilo.conf, what is your disk
    configuration (e.g. provide the output of fdisk -l), what happens when you
    try to boot vista, etc.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  5. Re: vista and lilo trouble[FIXED]

    Hi all,
    thanks for the hints. Basically, I have parted my sda by using
    gparted live (great tool) and installed slacware on the sda3 partion
    (sda1 is recovery and sda2 is vista). Then I have added the vista
    mount in the fstab (done automatically by slackware during the
    installation) and installed lilo on the mbr as usual using the
    standard options. I rebooted and slackware was running. The next
    reboot, I tried vista *but* it could not boot for some reason. I
    thought that the problem was lilo so I *fixed* the mbr cleaning it by
    using vista tool. No solution. So I recovered vista by the recovery
    partition. I rebooted by dvd mounting the sda3 in order to read the
    previous dmesg and I noticed some serious problem about ntfs
    filesystem mounting.
    so what I have done is to remove the mount for vista in fstab at the
    boot and re-installed lilo in the mbr by lilo -v. no error at all
    (only warning about lba32). surprisingly, this time vista was booting
    in perfect agreement with your opinion. So, the problem was at the
    first linux-boot mounting the vista partion, probably corrupting the
    ntfs-vista filesystem (I guess). so the problem was not lilo but the
    mount of vista. I don't why.

    A silly question: I have 2Gb of ram. Do I need to create a swap of 2Gb
    or 1Gb it is enough? Thinking about the hybernation issue ...

    Thanks to all,

    Regards

    spirix

  6. Re: vista and lilo trouble[FIXED]

    the safe way is to have swap bigger at least 1 byte than ram,
    on the other hand,
    if you don't worry about crashes, with 2gb of ram
    512mb are sufficent

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:38:46 -0800, xspirix wrote:

    > A silly question: I have 2Gb of ram. Do I need to create a swap of 2Gb
    > or 1Gb it is enough? Thinking about the hybernation issue ...
    >
    > Thanks to all,
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > spirix

  7. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > xspirix wrote:
    >> Any help in order to use lilo on mbr along with vista?

    > no help to offer, but i can say that my work machine has vista, and
    > (although i'm having trouble installing slack 12.0), i've been able to
    > install slackware 11 with the 2.4 kernel and lilo in the mbr, and vista
    > still boots.
    >
    > so it's probably not vista that's causing the problem, or at least not

    I just bought a new computer a couple months ago with Vista - no issues
    at all dual booting with SW 12.0. I didn't do anything different from when
    I used to have Win95 on the 'puter way back when. I used the MBR with
    Lilo.

    The only hard part was splitting the hard drive. Even though Vista comes
    with a built in repartitioning capability, the OS likes to plop all sorts of
    unmoveable crap at the very end of my 300 GB drive. I had to use a special
    defrag program to move it.

    - Kurt

  8. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    > I am one of the "unlucky" guy having bought a notebook carrying win
    > vista installed. I have installed slackware since version 8.0 and this
    > is the first time having this kind of problem. Basically, the
    > installation goes fine until the installation of lilo on the mbr.
    > Afterthat, linux boot normally but vista does not. Gooogling around it
    > seems that the new microsoft product does not like write the mbr.
    > People is suggesting to write lilo in the root dir and then use
    > easybcd software in order to manage both OS. Friends of mine did not
    > have problem with ubuntu with another notebook but ubuntu uses grub.
    > Any help in order to use lilo on mbr along with vista?
    > Thanks in advance,

    Hi,

    I bet it is more hardware related, or at leat I had similar problems with
    XP. If this os what i think, your help would be "man lilo.conf" and
    "boot-as" option.

    Hope it will help

    take care

    --
    luk

  9. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    lukaswu wrote:

    > I bet it is more hardware related, or at leat I had similar problems
    > with XP. If this os what i think, your help would be "man lilo.conf" and
    > "boot-as" option.
    >
    > Hope it will help
    >
    > take care

    The "boot-as" was very convenient on DOS based OS's. The NT variants
    don't need this help.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  10. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:47:24 +0000, Stanislaw Flatto wrote:

    > The "boot-as" was very convenient on DOS based OS's. The NT variants
    > don't need this help.

    I fing ity a lot easier to install lilo on the root when I have a
    combination of MS and various distros.

    Smart Boot Manager works great or you can even add Slack to NTLDR by
    first installing lilo on the root. In my case Slack11 is /dev/hde17.

    From...

    http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

    You might have to use a live CD or a SBM floppy.

    chdir to a convenient spot. Issue...

    dd if=/dev/hde17 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

    Copy the file bootsect.lnx to the root of 2000 or XP.

    Add this line to the bottom of c:\boot.ini and not it loos like...

    [boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\=MS-DOS
    C:\bootsect.lnx="Slack11"

    Now you can boot Slack using NTLDR and lilo never sees the MBR.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  11. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    > The "boot-as" was very convenient on DOS based OS's. The NT variants don't
    > need this help.

    You are wrong which proves my two week ago experience with Win XP. Anyway
    the box had two physical disks with Xp on hdb and XP had problems with
    booting while Slackware and lilo was installed on hda.

    If you read man you would know it is BIOS and how it presents disks
    problem.

    Regards.

    --
    luk

  12. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    lukaswu wrote:

    > If you read man you would know it is BIOS and how it presents disks
    > problem.

    I would suspect XP (Xrta Problems). If it was installed on primary drive
    and later relegated to secondary position.
    The reading of man pages I did few years ago when playing with lilo to
    boot (on two hard drives) few installs of DOS'es (MS; DR and free all
    with win3.11) and Windows98's (English; Hebrew and Greek)
    Lilo did it's work including hiding and unhiding partitions according to
    menu choices.
    It was a challenge resulting from reading the man pages suggesting that
    it "can be done!"
    So it did it.

    > Regards.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  13. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    xspirix wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am one of the "unlucky" guy having bought a notebook carrying win
    > vista installed. I have installed slackware since version 8.0 and this
    > is the first time having this kind of problem. Basically, the
    > installation goes fine until the installation of lilo on the mbr.
    > Afterthat, linux boot normally but vista does not. Gooogling around it
    > seems that the new microsoft product does not like write the mbr. People
    > is suggesting to write lilo in the root dir and then use easybcd
    > software in order to manage both OS. Friends of mine did not have
    > problem with ubuntu with another notebook but ubuntu uses grub. Any help
    > in order to use lilo on mbr along with vista? Thanks in advance,

    What happens when you try to boot Vista?

    I have a Dell Inspiron booting both Vista (which came pre-installed with
    the machine) and Slackware 12 with lilo as the bootloader installed on
    MBR without any issues.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  14. Re: vista and lilo trouble

    On 26 Nov, 13:50, Olive wrote:
    > xspirix wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I am one of the "unlucky" guy having bought a notebook carrying win
    > > vista installed. I have installed slackware since version 8.0 and this
    > > is the first time having this kind of problem. Basically, the
    > > installation goes fine until the installation of lilo on the mbr.
    > > Afterthat, linux boot normally but vista does not. Gooogling around it
    > > seems that the new microsoft product does not like write the mbr.
    > > People is suggesting to write lilo in the root dir and then use
    > > easybcd software in order to manage both OS. Friends of mine did not
    > > have problem with ubuntu with another notebook but ubuntu uses grub.
    > > Any help in order to use lilo on mbr along with vista?
    > > Thanks in advance,

    > I am not using vista. But you should be a little more verbose. What's
    > your /etc/lilo.conf? what happens when you run lilo and what happens
    > exactly when you try to boot Vista?
    >
    > If you say that it works with grub and Ubuntu; I guess the problem is
    > not that Vista does like change to the mbr (because grub do the same).
    > (it is possible to install lilo on the root partition and make this
    > partition active; provided the mbr is the standard one).
    >
    > You can use grub on Slackware (it is present in extra, and there is even
    > a configuration utility). You can try to see how it is configured on
    > Ubuntu and do the same for Slackware.
    >
    > Good to know: you can uninstall lilo and put a standard mbr with the
    > command:
    > lilo -M /dev/hda mbr
    > (where /dev/hda denote your main disk, it could also be /dev/sda).
    >
    > Olive

    I know I had to post a new message, but I prove. ;=)
    is possible to install Slack on a notebook TOSCHIBA with Wire, Blue
    toot, USB, and to mke the O.S. Slack know it ? ? ?
    really are ten years I dont use Slak and PC one mount ago I buy a
    otebook toshba with W - XP .
    It ha so many programs that I use the frtest version in L.x
    distributions.
    sorry for the argoment. But yo were writing about Notebook.

+ Reply to Thread