slrn and slang 2.0.7 error - Slackware

This is a discussion on slrn and slang 2.0.7 error - Slackware ; Hi, I am running Slackware 12 and I have a suspicion that there may be a problem in the default installation of the version 2 slang library. This problem precludes compiling other versions of slrn. This may be something of ...

  1. slrn and slang 2.0.7 error

    Hi,

    I am running Slackware 12 and I have a suspicion that there may be a
    problem in the default installation of the version 2 slang library.
    This problem precludes compiling other versions of slrn. This may be
    something of an issue as slrn is currently under active development
    and may be approaching a new release hopefully before the new year.

    Compiling slrn against the version 2 slang library initially fails on
    my system with this message following chkslang:

    ******
    slang.h does not match slang library version. Did you install slang
    as as a shared library? Did you run ldconfig? You have an installation
    problem and you will need to check the SLANG variables in the Makefile and
    properly set them. Also try: make clean; make
    ******

    slang.h version: 20006
    libslang version 20007
    make[1]: *** [slangversion] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/source/slrn/src'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

    The culprit appears to be an /extra/ slang.h in
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/include/slang.h generated by
    gcc fixincludes which contains the following lines:

    #define SLANG_VERSION 20006
    #define SLANG_VERSION_STRING "2.0.6"

    Can I ask if I am the only one that has this problem, in which case it
    is obviously something stupid that I have done, or is it a system
    problem with Slackware 12? The temporary fix for me has been either:

    1. Compile against a local slang library
    2. mv /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/include/slang.h
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/include/slang.h_bak

    and then compile as normal and all is well. But like all small problems
    it has been niggling at me and I am very keen to see if this is a
    widespread problem.

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn and speak
    before this web that killed my father; yet I grieve for the thing

  2. Re: slrn and slang 2.0.7 error

    andrew@ilium.invalid wrote:

    > slang.h version: 20006
    > libslang version 20007
    > make[1]: *** [slangversion] Error 1
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/source/slrn/src'
    > make: *** [all] Error 2
    >
    > The culprit appears to be an /extra/ slang.h in
    > /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/include/slang.h generated by
    > gcc fixincludes which contains the following lines:
    >
    > #define SLANG_VERSION 20006
    > #define SLANG_VERSION_STRING "2.0.6"
    >
    > Can I ask if I am the only one that has this problem, in which case it
    > is obviously something stupid that I have done, or is it a system
    > problem with Slackware 12?...

    Confirmed. It looks to me like when he built gcc-4.1.2 he had slrn-2.0.6
    installed, then later upgraded to slrn-2.0.7 (per ChangeLog for Slackware
    12.0), but the gcc package kept the older file.

  3. Re: slrn and slang 2.0.7 error

    On 2007-11-27, ljb wrote:
    > andrew@ilium.invalid wrote:
    >>
    >> slang.h version: 20006
    >> libslang version 20007
    >> make[1]: *** [slangversion] Error 1
    >> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/source/slrn/src'
    >> make: *** [all] Error 2
    >>
    >> The culprit appears to be an /extra/ slang.h in
    >> /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.1.2/include/slang.h generated by
    >> gcc fixincludes which contains the following lines:
    >>
    >> #define SLANG_VERSION 20006
    >> #define SLANG_VERSION_STRING "2.0.6"
    >>
    >> Can I ask if I am the only one that has this problem, in which case it
    >> is obviously something stupid that I have done, or is it a system
    >> problem with Slackware 12?...

    > Confirmed. It looks to me like when he built gcc-4.1.2 he had slrn-2.0.6
    > installed, then later upgraded to slrn-2.0.7 (per ChangeLog for Slackware
    > 12.0), but the gcc package kept the older file.

    Thanks for that. I will send a bug report although the only address I
    have been able to find is PV's amail address @slackware.com.

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet
    I grieve for the thing done, the death, and all our race.
    I have won; but my victory is soiled, and has no pride.

+ Reply to Thread