Asus Onboard Mic - Slackware

This is a discussion on Asus Onboard Mic - Slackware ; Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the onboard mic to work on an Asus laptop. The driver is hda-intel. I know the driver is correct, sound works, but the onboard microphone is not even recognized. Alsamixer ...

  1. Asus Onboard Mic

    Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the onboard mic to
    work on an Asus laptop. The driver is hda-intel.

    I know the driver is correct, sound works, but the onboard microphone is
    not even recognized. Alsamixer only displays 1 master and 1 Capture
    slider, and the toggle for Capture only mutes or turns on the device
    (which is not the mic).

    --
    nobody

  2. Re: Asus Onboard Mic

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 07:16:51 -0500, nobody wrote:

    > Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the onboard mic to
    > work on an Asus laptop. The driver is hda-intel.

    There are numerous different configurations for hardware using this
    driver.

    The first try would be to check that there is an options line for the
    driver in the alsa configuration file, and that it reads

    options snd-hda-intel model=asus

    On debian-type systems this file is normally in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base,
    which seems not to exist by default in Slack 12. You could try creating
    it in accordance with the advice given in /etc/modprobe.conf

    > I know the driver is correct, sound works, but the onboard microphone is
    > not even recognized. Alsamixer only displays 1 master and 1 Capture
    > slider, and the toggle for Capture only mutes or turns on the device
    > (which is not the mic).

    The model setting dictates which inputs and outputs are expected by the
    driver to be present.

    There are numerous other model settings depending on the actual chip used
    on your motherboard, but I don't have the refs to hand right now, so my
    current best advice is to use the wiki at the alsa page.

  3. Re: Asus Onboard Mic

    I've tried all the options -asus, -asus-laptop, and some others...It
    just does not pick up the internal mic. I've also searched the net and
    the alsa site, and all I came up with was something unrelated about
    Skype not interacting with the mic correctly.

    I just thought maybe someone here ran into the problem, fixed it and was
    keeping it a secret.

    Thanks for the response, anyway.

    Mark South wrote:

    > There are numerous different configurations for hardware using this
    > driver.
    >
    > The first try would be to check that there is an options line for the
    > driver in the alsa configuration fi...

    --
    nobody

  4. Re: Asus Onboard Mic

    Don't know if this helps but from the Asus A8JS Howto (I've got one
    running slackware 12.0) it reads:

    [...]

    Intel-HD-Audio (included in alsa-drivers as well as the kernel itself)

    Works only with additional Kernel parameters (alsa 1.0.13)
    "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack" has to be added
    to the file /etc/modules.d/alsa, after that a modules-update and
    reboot
    is necessary to get sound working. The Alsa team is informed about
    that,
    perhaps we won't have to do this too long.

    So I tried again: with model=3stack everything is working, but the
    external
    microphone. With model=laptop everything is working, but the internal
    microphone.
    So you have the choice

    [...]

    Mine is working now with the external mic, but I've used the onboard
    one
    before I got an external headset.

    Cheers

    Antonio

  5. Re: Asus Onboard Mic

    I installed the latest alsa-driver snapshot, ran alsaconf, and
    everything works fine.

    On 2007-11-25, nobody wrote:
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the onboard mic to
    > work on an Asus laptop. The driver is hda-intel.
    >
    > I know the driver is correct, sound works, but the onboard microphone is
    > not even recognized. Alsamixer only displays 1 master and 1 Capture
    > slider, and the toggle for Capture only mutes or turns on the device
    > (which is not the mic).

+ Reply to Thread