Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables - Slackware

This is a discussion on Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables - Slackware ; On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Tom N wrote: > > On 2007-12-02, Res wrote: >> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Tom N wrote: >> >>>> As a newsmaster >>> >>> You'll have to prove that. Until you do I'll assume ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Results 161 to 177 of 177

Thread: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

  1. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Tom N wrote:

    >
    > On 2007-12-02, Res wrote:
    >> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >>>> As a newsmaster
    >>>
    >>> You'll have to prove that. Until you do I'll assume it's bull****.

    >>
    >> I dont have to prove **** to you or any tosser on usenet,

    >
    > You do if you want anyone with a functioning mind to believe you.


    newsflash: I actually dont give a toss if you or anyone believes it or not
    its immaterial to you because you are not one of my users.

    second newsflash: this group isnt just for newbies like yourself, it
    contains many network admins of some rather large ISP/Telcos, some may
    advertise that fact, many (I know of 7) don't and wont.


    > I can't think of any reason why you'd even hesitate to do so.
    >
    > If it's the truth.


    Are you really that thick ? you dont use my network, you are not even
    in my country, so i couldnt prove it to you even if by some act of
    utter bordom i wanted to waste my time doing so, and even if I could, I
    wouldnt, because I have no need or desire to.


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';
    ~# radzap troll


  2. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:
    >
    > I am only talking about "Alan Hicks".
    >
    > And I don't believe you. I don't believe you even know what his real name
    > is.



    I do. His real name is Alan Hicks.

    You might not "believe" me either.
    You might not "believe" that gravity exists.
    In either case, your belief is irrelevant and has no bearing on
    what actually is or is not.

    -RW

  3. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-28, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    >
    > Congratulations, Tom. You not only completely overlooked some perfectly
    > valid (dare I say "helpful") advice in order to make room for a public
    > tantrum, but you successfully burnt at least one bridge (and most likely
    > a few others) to a smoldering pile of rubble in the process.



    Indeed.

    -RW

  4. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-12-02, Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >> I am only talking about "Alan Hicks".
    >>
    >> And I don't believe you. I don't believe you even know what his real name
    >> is.

    >


    Hi Robby,

    >
    > I do. His real name is Alan Hicks.
    >
    > You might not "believe" me either.
    > You might not "believe" that gravity exists.
    > In either case, your belief is irrelevant and has no bearing on
    > what actually is or is not.
    >
    > -RW


    I don't care what his real name is. I assess people by the way
    they behave, not by their names.

    The person calling himself "Alan Hicks" is a ****ing punk.

    That's how he has behaved towards _me_.

    So he doesn't get to talk to me anymore.

    If he wasn't a ****ing punk, he wouldn't be bothered by my decision
    at all, would he?

    He'd just accept it like a man and talk to the million other people
    on the Usenet instead.

    I can certainly run Slackware without his help. That's pretty obvious.

    So can everyone else, for that matter.

    Why did you bring this dead subject up again?

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


  5. Re: slrn killfiles

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 22:00:08 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > I'm not going to let the trolls force me into spending half my life
    > messing with scorefiles.


    As I remember, you always prided yourself on your scoring abilities, Alan
    Connor. What's happened?

    > I'll just pay attention, and if I accidentally read one of their posts
    > they'll never even know it.


    Right. You're reading every one, and liking it. You're pathetic.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  6. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:06:20 +1000, Res wrote:



    jeezus H. christ would you killfile that dickhead and move on


  7. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    Res wrote:

    > ... you dont use my network, you are not even in my country, so i
    > couldnt prove it to you even if by some act of utter bordom i wanted
    > to waste my time doing so, ...


    That doesn't make any sense. If I wanted to prove to someone (anyone,
    on any network, in any country) that I am a news admin, I would simply
    urge them to email the newsmaster address at my domain and see who
    answers ...

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst / Newsmaster Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, mr.b wrote:

    >
    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:06:20 +1000, Res wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > jeezus H. christ would you killfile that dickhead and move on


    but but but hes such a clueless idiot who tries make out hes king ****, I
    cant but help laugh and have some fun, on teh upside to your request, its
    Monday and working week started a few hours ago, so I'll leave it to RM
    and Dan C to take the piss out of him for a few days


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';
    ~# radzap troll


  9. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    >
    > Res wrote:
    >
    >> ... you dont use my network, you are not even in my country, so i
    >> couldnt prove it to you even if by some act of utter bordom i wanted
    >> to waste my time doing so, ...

    >
    > That doesn't make any sense. If I wanted to prove to someone (anyone,
    > on any network, in any country) that I am a news admin, I would simply
    > urge them to email the newsmaster address at my domain and see who
    > answers ...
    >


    Ah true, he could have done that.


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';
    ~# radzap troll


  10. Re: OT Trolls

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Tom N wrote:

    >
    > On 2007-12-03, Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2007-12-02, Tom N wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't care what his real name is. I assess people by the way
    >>> they behave, not by their names.
    >>>
    >>> The person calling himself "Alan Hicks" is a ****ing punk.
    >>>
    >>> That's how he has behaved towards _me_.

    >>
    >>
    >> Well, see, I disagree. I think you misinterpreted what he wrote.
    >> I've seen Alan be a "punk" to various individuals, and what you
    >> got was not at all similar. In fact, as was already mentioned,
    >> you got a compliment of sorts.
    >>
    >>
    >>> So he doesn't get to talk to me anymore.

    >>
    >>
    >> Your choice.
    >>
    >>
    >>> If he wasn't a ****ing punk, he wouldn't be bothered by my decision
    >>> at all, would he?
    >>>
    >>> He'd just accept it like a man and talk to the million other people
    >>> on the Usenet instead.

    >>
    >>
    >> I seriously doubt that it bothers him regardless. That's not a
    >> slight against you or anyone else, but just the way it works.
    >> Despite what some here might think or say, Alan *is* very
    >> knowledgeable about Slackware, linux in general, and networking
    >> concepts (among other things). As such, he tends to give good
    >> advice, although like everyone else, he's not perfect. We've
    >> all made posts that we can look back on and wish we'd researched
    >> just a bit more or whatever, but again, such is life.
    >>
    >>
    >>> I can certainly run Slackware without his help. That's pretty obvious.
    >>>
    >>> So can everyone else, for that matter.

    >>
    >>
    >> You're probably right. In your specific case, I hope you're right,
    >> because you almost certainly won't be getting help from him (or
    >> several others).
    >>
    >>
    >>> Why did you bring this dead subject up again?

    >>
    >>
    >> I brought it up again because I think you should read back over
    >> exactly what was said and reconsider your responses. To be more
    >> specific, compare my first response to you and Alan's response to
    >> you - the points made are very similar, but your response was very
    >> different. I suspect (but don't *know*) that your response to Alan
    >> was at least partially influenced by feelings about him developed
    >> as result of some other individuals' responses to his posts (as
    >> opposed to the actual words, concepts, and ideas in *his* post).
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm done with it unless you want to discuss it further;
    >> it's usually impossible to reason someone out of something they
    >> weren't reasoned into...
    >>
    >> -RW

    >
    > You are focussing on but one of his posts to me, the least insulting
    > of the two that figured into my decision.
    >
    > So all of your reasoning is specious.
    >
    > Then you cap it all off with an insult to my intelligence.
    >
    > Apologize or get out of my life.
    >
    >
    > Tom


    tom/alan connor, get your hand of your dick, youve been holding it for way
    too long, how about you just killfile everybody here? because son, you
    have just about run out of anyone here ever bothering to help you again.
    you have insulted too many of the wrong people.

    There are trolls and there are trolls, you have exceeded and brought new
    meaning to 'lame troll'.

    and if you persist with your antics, I will contact your newsmaster and
    refer him to your pathetic childish rants, is that a threat? no, its a
    ****ing promise.


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    mysql> update auth set Framed-IP-Address='127.0.0.127' where user= 'troll';
    ~# radzap troll


  11. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Sylvain Robitaille wrote:


    > I think I looked at these already ... hang on ... no, not all of them,
    > but many that I did look at seemed to assume the presence of a serial
    > port on the Qube (rev 2 has; the one I have doesn't)
    >


    I think I have seen reports of using usb-serial adapters under linux,
    although I have not tried it.

    >
    > If I have the cross-compiler installed on all the distcc systems,
    > that is, correct? (yes, I think so, based on quickly skimming the
    > distcc faq; that might not be appropriate for my own systems, but the
    > system that I intend to install the cross-compiling environment on, one
    > of these days, is quite fast.)
    >


    From what I read you are correct. One of my friends gave me several old
    workstations and laptops none of which are x86, Whenever I have nothing
    better to day I might start playing around with cross-compiling.

    >> If you are using debian, gentoo or some other distro ...

    >
    > I'm a Slackware Snob (TM) ... that's the whole point of the project.
    >


    The biggest reason I suggested a native install to start from was to avoid
    cross-compiling, and the fact that a gentoo live cd is designed to give you
    an environment to build from scratch.

    My other suggestion for avoiding cross-compiling is to mount the cube's hard
    drive in a different machine and run a mips emulator using the hard drive
    from the cobalt directly so you can just switch the hard drive back when
    you are done and have a working system.

    I have a SGI Indy that somebody gave me that I was planning on putting linux
    on. Depending on how easy it is to change between big and little endian, I
    would be willing to test a mips slackware.

    --
    Ed

  12. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Ed Wilson wrote:

    > My other suggestion for avoiding cross-compiling is to mount the
    > cube's hard drive in a different machine and run a mips emulator ...


    That's certainly a possibility, yes.

    > I have a SGI Indy that somebody gave me that I was planning on putting
    > linux on. Depending on how easy it is to change between big and
    > little endian, I would be willing to test a mips slackware.


    Well, I'll be posting here if I ever get anything as far as "worth
    testing" ...

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  13. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Sylvain Robitaille wrote in
    news:slrnfl0e3f.f24g.syl@alcor.concordia.ca:

    > No. The hard part really is building the toolchain on the target
    > system. For the Qube, I think I'm going to have to assemble myself a
    > cross-compiling environment, and build the toolchain on a different


    While not Qube specific, I've just been reading

    which helps you build a cross-compiling LFS. Maybe it could help?

    --
    The email address, above, is most certainly munged. Perhaps you
    might reply to the newsgroup, instead? Thanks!

  14. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    _.-In alt.os.linux.slackware, Beej Jorgensen wrote the following -._
    > But when it comes down to it, I'm not a UI guy. I have 28 windows open
    > right now on 6 pages, and 17 of them are terminals.


    You could have 17 terms in one window and save yourself a lot of
    stress that you might not even know you are under. Read the man page
    for GNU screen.

    - --
    =()==()==()==()==()- http://fauxascii.com
    \ \ \ \ \ \ ASCII artist
    :F_P:-O- -O- -O- -O- -O- -O- -O- Get your ASCII Art T-Shirt:
    http://www.keystroketshirts.com/asci...-fullView.php#
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHVNnPSJec2PH9pbURAr66AJ9U8ZjypHsPCjPQjRlMP+ ylb97W+ACdFxjG
    uy6+wIh7XKGvWaPg6ZvWdNc=
    =Qh3r
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  15. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    james wrote:

    > While not Qube specific, I've just been reading
    >
    > which helps you build a cross-compiling LFS. Maybe it could help?


    It probably could, thanks. Now the only real problem is getting time to
    actually work on this ... :-(

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Systems and Network analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  16. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    Faux_Pseudo wrote:
    >You could have 17 terms in one window and save yourself a lot of
    >stress that you might not even know you are under. Read the man page
    >for GNU screen.


    I could use screen, or I could do the same thing with tabs in my
    terminal emulator... screen rocked when I didn't have X.

    Screen does a lot of cool stuff, but it's not what I want. I stay
    organized by keeping groups of windows on various pages on the desktop.
    I often like to see what's in one window while typing in another, and I
    find it easier to remember where windows are spatially rather than by
    number.

    But that's just me. Like you say, everyone should know about screen.

    -Beej


  17. Re: Why Slackware? was ....

    On 2007-12-04, Beej Jorgensen wrote:

    > I often like to see what's in one window while typing in another,


    I do that all the time with ratpoison. " Ctrl-t s" and the screen
    splits horizontally so that I can work in the bottom and read
    what's in the top and switch the focus with a number of different
    keystrokes.

    Using a capital "S" will split the screen the other way.

    And so on.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male


+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9