Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables - Slackware

This is a discussion on Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables - Slackware ; On 2007-11-28, Ed Wilson wrote: > Tom N wrote: > >>> Do you allow localhost to connect to any port in your firewall settings? >> >> Yes. >> >>> Sometimes it is better to check things like this from a ...

  1. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-28, Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> Do you allow localhost to connect to any port in your firewall settings?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> Sometimes it is better to check things like this from a remote machine
    >>> because you will be seen as a remote machine by the firewall. Depending
    >>> on your firewall settings you may even want to find a computer outside of
    >>> your network.
    >>>

    >> Thanks Ed. I don't know how to pull that off. I really don't trust any
    >> websites.
    >>

    > Do you know anybody with an internet connection? You can visit them and run
    > a scan from their computer by either installing the appropriate apps onto
    > their computer or using a live CD.
    >
    > Here is a list of live CDs you probably will find scan tools with the ones
    > whose function is security.
    > http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

    You are a genius!

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  2. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-28, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>I will [...] stomp your ass and turn your computers into junk.
    >>
    >>I have no respect at all for cowards who think they are hidden behind
    >>the internet and abuse people.

    > Thanks for helping us understand how you feel.
    >
    > -Beej

    Is that sarcasm? I do apologize for letting that troll jerk
    me around.

    This is new territory for me. Guys like that would last
    about 1/2 a day in the real world.

    Which is why, I'm sure, they stay at home and post
    garbage on the Usenet.

    Virtual balls are cheap.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  3. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:19:05 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Do you know anybody with an internet connection? You can visit them and run
    >> a scan from their computer by either installing the appropriate apps onto
    >> their computer or using a live CD.

    > You are a genius!

    No, he isn't. It just seems that way to you because you are so friggin
    stupid.

  4. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:

    > This is new territory for me. Guys like that would last
    > about 1/2 a day in the real world.

    Do you realize that the guys in question (e.g., Alan, Sylvain) are
    actually doing quite well in the Real World?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  5. OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-29, Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >> This is new territory for me. Guys like that would last
    >> about 1/2 a day in the real world.

    > Do you realize that the guys in question (e.g., Alan, Sylvain) are
    > actually doing quite well in the Real World?

    I am not talking about Sylvain, who is basically a nice guy and
    very knowledgable.

    I am only talking about "Alan Hicks".

    And I don't believe you. I don't believe you even know what his real name
    is.

    (There are an amazing number of idiots on the Usenet who think that
    everyone beieves everything they post.)

    Punks like "Alan Hicks" simply cannot afford to let anyone know what their
    real name is. They'd be in a body cast in a week.

    If he wasn't a pathetic loser who is no threat to anyone, I'd arrange that myself.

    I have been reading up on trolls.

    It would be quite reasonable to assume that you were one of "Alan Hicks'" sock puppets.

    Prove that you know who "Alan Hicks" really is, or get lost and stay lost.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  6. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Hallo, Tom,

    Du (tom) meintest am 29.11.07:

    > I have been reading up on trolls.

    Why do you feed them?

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  7. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-29, Helmut Hullen wrote:
    > Hallo, Tom,
    >
    > Du (tom) meintest am 29.11.07:
    >
    >> I have been reading up on trolls.

    > Why do you feed them?

    So I was right, he's just another troll.

    I guess I'm a slow learner. Sorry.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  8. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:10:53 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > And I don't believe you. I don't believe you even know what his real
    > name is.
    >
    > (There are an amazing number of idiots on the Usenet who think that
    > everyone beieves everything they post.)
    >
    > Punks like "Alan Hicks" simply cannot afford to let anyone know what
    > their real name is. They'd be in a body cast in a week.
    >
    > If he wasn't a pathetic loser who is no threat to anyone, I'd arrange
    > that myself.
    >
    > I have been reading up on trolls.
    >
    > It would be quite reasonable to assume that you were one of "Alan
    > Hicks'" sock puppets.
    >
    > Prove that you know who "Alan Hicks" really is, or get lost and stay
    > lost.

    You know what? This ****ing whacko is starting to sound more and more
    like the famous "Alan Connor". Perhaps this loser really is Alan come
    back under a different name...? Hmmm...... Quite a lot of similarity in
    his language and mannerisms.

  9. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Tom N wrote (Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:10:53 +0100):

    > On 2007-11-29, Keith Keller
    > wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:
    >>>

    > I am only talking about "Alan Hicks".
    >
    > Prove that you know who "Alan Hicks" really is, or get lost and stay
    > lost.

    Don't mind about that, but just saw the following:

    From Slackware-current changelog:
    _____
    Tue Nov 27 16:08:14 CST 2007
    a/mkinitrd-1.3.0-i486-1.tgz: Upgraded to mkinitrd-1.3.0.
    This fixes a bug where some module options could be ignored.
    Thanks to Alan Hicks for the patch.
    Thanks also to Richard Hoyle for showing me how to statically link
    busybox correctly when I wouldn't listen to the Makefile. ;-)
    ______

    So, who is the troll now?

    Good luck anyways.

    Franz

  10. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:18:23 -0800, simpleman.s43 wrote:

    > If you were half as smart as you think you are, then you'd know better
    > than to **** with a completely unknown quantity.
    >
    > Tom

    Is your own advice not worth following yourself, Tom?
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  11. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Tom N wrote (of Keith Keller):

    > So I was right, he's just another troll.

    He isn't. Keith has volunteered lots of his own time to help others on
    (at least) this newsgroup. Alan also has, incidentally, and although
    I've frequently disagreed with him (or more precisely, I've frequently
    disagreed with advice he gave), he provides a rather high percentage of
    the helpful posts on the newsgroup.

    > I guess I'm a slow learner. Sorry.

    I suggest you step back and just lurk for a while. You'll find plenty of
    folks who help and only a few who rarely have anything useful to say.
    You might even find that one of the longest lasting trolls on this
    newsgroup occasionally makes some very valid points.

    Don't judge whether or not someone is a troll based on whether or not
    others say they are. Watch, and decide for yourself who has something
    useful to contribute and who doesn't. You might then want to step back
    and re-read your own messages, and try and view them not as the author,
    but as someone completely new to the group who has no knowledge of who any
    of the characters here are, and ask yourself where those messages fit in.

  12. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:

    > And I don't believe you. I don't believe you even know what his real name
    > is.

    It doesn't really matter. I have satisfied myself that the entity that
    posts using that name is a respectable person both on the network and
    IRL. You are free to believe me, disbelieve me, or (and this is the
    wisest course) take some time *before* making your own conclusion.

    > It would be quite reasonable to assume that you were one of "Alan Hicks'" sock puppets.

    Oh, no, are you really Alan Connor?

    > Prove that you know who "Alan Hicks" really is, or get lost and stay lost.

    I need prove nothing. If you want me to ''get lost'', please add me to
    your killfile. It's certainly your prerogative to continue posting in
    such a way as to alienate anyone who might give you good guidance.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  13. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-29, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Tom N wrote (of Keith Keller):
    >
    >> So I was right, he's just another troll.

    > He isn't. Keith has volunteered lots of his own time to help others on
    > (at least) this newsgroup. Alan also has, incidentally, and although
    > I've frequently disagreed with him (or more precisely, I've frequently
    > disagreed with advice he gave), he provides a rather high percentage of
    > the helpful posts on the newsgroup.

    I'm hurt! You didn't mention *our* disagreements! ;-)

    Unfortunately I haven't put in much time recently to the newsgroup, but
    I do try to answer when I know an answer and haven't seen it yet. I am
    glad to see that, this thread notwithstanding, I've seen some good
    advice come from some new posters as well as some long-time posters.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  14. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

  15. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:23:54 GMT, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > I'm not much for
    >"evangelism" for a USENET group.

    So WTF quote xtian bible?

    Grant.

  16. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Sylvain,
    On 2007-11-29, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Tom N wrote (of Keith Keller):
    >
    >> So I was right, he's just another troll.

    > He isn't.

    Helmut obviously disagrees with you. And I can't see anyone but
    a troll posting something like that. Even responding to a
    post like that.

    i> Keith has volunteered lots of his own time to help others on
    > (at least) this newsgroup.

    Great. Want a list of major organized crime figures who have
    been famous for their charitable donations?

    He's a ****ing punk.

    >> I guess I'm a slow learner. Sorry.

    > I suggest you step back and just lurk for a while.

    I suggest that you run your own life.

    I'll never read one of Hicks' posts again, nor any responses to
    them.

    He's treated me like **** and that's just what he deserves.

    You have no say in the matter.

    Thanks for letting me know what you think.

    I think you are very wrong and that you should quit supporting
    troublemaking assholes because they occassionally help people.

    Tom

  17. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-29, Franz Sauerzopf wrote:
    > Tom N wrote (Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:10:53 +0100):
    >
    >> On 2007-11-29, Keith Keller
    >> wrote:
    >>> On 2007-11-29, Tom N wrote:
    >>>>

    >> I am only talking about "Alan Hicks".
    >>
    >> Prove that you know who "Alan Hicks" really is, or get lost and stay
    >> lost.
    >>

    > Don't mind about that, but just saw the following:
    >
    > From Slackware-current changelog:
    > _____
    > Tue Nov 27 16:08:14 CST 2007
    > a/mkinitrd-1.3.0-i486-1.tgz: Upgraded to mkinitrd-1.3.0.
    > This fixes a bug where some module options could be ignored.
    > Thanks to Alan Hicks for the patch.
    > Thanks also to Richard Hoyle for showing me how to statically link
    > busybox correctly when I wouldn't listen to the Makefile. ;-)
    > ______
    >
    > So, who is the troll now?
    >
    > Good luck anyways.
    >
    > Franz

    Hi Franz.

    Many major criminals have been famous for their charitable donations.

    Doesn't mean they weren't murderers and thieves.

    Alan Hicks has treated me like ****. I don't have to take that.

    So he gets to find someone else to talk to.

    What's the problem with that? He doesn't need me at all.

    Have a good one,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  18. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > On 2007-11-29, Keith Keller wrote:
    >> Unfortunately I haven't put in much time recently to the newsgroup, but
    >> I do try to answer when I know an answer and haven't seen it yet. I am
    >> glad to see that, this thread notwithstanding, I've seen some good
    >> advice come from some new posters as well as some long-time posters.

    > Yeah, we really need to build this place back up. There's plenty of
    > people out there who will post to usenet and have lots of great things
    > to add, we just need to get them here, and more importantly, keep them
    > here. Any suggestions on how to do this?[0] I'll admit I've not got
    > any great ideas on how best to go about this. I'm not much for
    > "evangelism" for a USENET group.

    The biggest problem is, many people dont like usenet, heck, 90% of the
    net users today dont even know what it is, and there is no public mailing
    list which is one very serious setback, well, I for one (and maybe others)
    run a public "list to this-newsgroup" gateway for those that dont want the
    spam etc and rather posts direct to their mailbox, but theres no _official_
    "general" list, only official announce and security lists where as all
    other distros have one, there's no mention in support pages on slackwares
    site for this group (that at least stands out), even if there was, again
    only a very small percentage of people would bother learning how to use
    usenet to get help, its fine for us long time netters, but not newbies.
    I sent Pat an email about 3 years ago advising him of my setup, he did not
    reply so I guess he's not interested in having any official support lists
    etc, evident by not even listing this newsgroup anywhere.

    And whats worse is, at least in current distro..

    <...logs into mirror server...>

    ~$ /var/ftp/pub/MIRRORS/slackware/slackware-12.0# grep -r
    "alt.os.linux.slackware" *
    ~$ /var/ftp/pub/MIRRORS/slackware/slackware-12.0#

    nothing at all about the group in there, so how the hell are people
    supposed to know about it

    I'm also on ubuntu and ****dora, ooops i mean fedora lists and they do
    100-150 messages a day, even if half of em are trolls, people still have
    an easy found method of support that stands out on there pages.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  19. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:07:36 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > I'll never read one of Hicks' posts again, nor any responses to
    > them.
    >
    > He's treated me like **** and that's just what he deserves.
    >
    > You have no say in the matter.
    >
    > Thanks for letting me know what you think.
    >
    > I think you are very wrong and that you should quit supporting
    > troublemaking assholes because they occassionally help people.

    I'm becoming more and more convinced that this "Tom N" asswipe really and
    truly is in fact "Alan Connor". For anyone who remembers that clown, the
    above phrases are eerily similar to his writing "style".

    I guess I'll do a little more checking and see what I can find out...

  20. Re: OT Trolls was: Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > I'm hurt! You didn't mention *our* disagreements! ;-)

    Right ... let's see there was the ... ummm ... Puke-O-Matic (TM), and
    then probably the Ducks. Have we disagreed on anything else? :-)