Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables - Slackware

This is a discussion on Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables - Slackware ; On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:18:23 -0800, simpleman.s43 wrote: ooooohhh...you bad!! supah bad!!! *plonk* again...

  1. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:18:23 -0800, simpleman.s43 wrote:

    <"Theme from Shaft">
    ooooohhh...you bad!! supah bad!!!

    *plonk*

    again

  2. Re: OT ATTN raf Bittorrent was Re: OT Mp3 Sites....

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 04:28:51 +0000, james wrote:

    > Hi, Tom! I certainly don't want to rain on your parade,

    oh, and you are wise...he bad...reaal bad!!! he gonna fly his plane up to
    your neck of the woods after some recon by his baddass international
    investigation firms...then he gonna stomp on yo neck an turn yo computahs
    into trash...he one bad mofo!!!

    what a hoot!!!

  3. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    [top posted explicitly to leave the threat intact]

    Making threats is not only a sign of a bully, it's illegal.
    I have forwarded this post intact to the appropriate law
    enforcement agencies. I suggest Mr. Hick print out this
    thread with headers intact for his local PD to take action.

> [...]

    > up and quickly go over to Ubuntu or another of the newbie-friendly
    > distributions. You however, not only stuck it out but came into the
    > group after lurking for awhile, and posted a strong question in which
    > you cited the work you'd done and provided information on the hardware
    > involved. We need more rookies like you.
    >
    > Give yourself a BOZO point.
    >
    > - --
    > It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    > Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    > Ecclesiastes 7:5
    >
    > And I installed and configured sound _manually_ with no help
    > whatsoever from
    > him.
    >
    > Fortunately, he didn't feel the need to jump into that thread and tell
    > me
    > that I was a good little boy.
    >
    > And cause more trouble.
    >
    > [Tom N ]118 Basic Sound Configuration

    > I am much indebted to all the good folks who helped me with X and
    > sound
    > and other aspeots of configuring and running Slackware.
    >
    > I owe Mr. Hicks absolutely nothing.
    >
    > He has not only not helped me at all, but his two most notable posts
    > to me have been obvious attempts to make trouble.
    >
    > And he WILL watch his mouth when he talks to me or I will simply
    > not read any of his posts.
    >
    > It's quite obvious that I can do without his help. That everyone can
    > do without his help.
    >
    > If I have burned any bridges, Sylain, they weren't safe to walk across
    > in the first place, and torching them was a public service.
    >
    > I'm posting this through google groups because I suddenly am unable to
    > post through aioe.
    >
    > If I find out Mr. Hicks or any of his cronies had anything to do with
    > this,
    > they are going to learn two more interesting things about me.
    >
    > They already know that I have a bad reaction to bullying.
    >
    > 1. Flying private planes is one of my favorite hobbies. I love long
    > trips to new destinations. I am retired and have plenty of time.
    >
    > 2. In the profession I am now retired from, at quite a young age
    > because
    > of my success at it, I made frequent use of international personal
    > investigation
    > firms.
    >
    > **** with me and I'll use a third party to hire one of those firms to
    > track
    > you down, and I will take a 'vacation' in your neck of the woods and
    > stomp
    > your ass and turn your computers into junk.
    >
    > If I have to hang around for two weeks to catch you alone, so be it.
    > If I
    > have to hire some local talent to help me, I know how to do that.
    >
    > If you were half as smart as you think you are, then you'd know better
    > than
    > to **** with a completely unknown quantity.
    >
    > I have no respect at all for cowards who think they are hidden behind

  4. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:37:05 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Congratulations, Tom. You not only completely overlooked some perfectly
    >> valid (dare I say "helpful") advice in order to make room for a public
    >> tantrum,

    > Nobody talks to me like that.
    > And nobody talks to me the way you are talking to me right now.

    LOL! Yes, they do. We're doing it right now, n00b.

    > Just where the hell you both get the idea that you are superior to me,
    > I don't know.

    It's obvious.

    Nice job at alienation. You should get a lot of good help now. LOL!!!

  5. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Richard James wrote:

    > WTF are you doing Richard you said you wanted intelligent discussion about
    > Slackware but all you are doing is making a flamewar.

    War all the time. Such is the nature of Man. And of Usenet, too.

    > Just because someone else acts like an arsehole does not mean you should act
    > like one too. That is just plain silly.

    This is counter to the spirit of Usenet, where everyone must act like arseholes and engage in pointless flamewars. A firewall is useless against it, no matter
    how many rules you apply.

    Sometimes it's easier to just turn off your PC.

    -- anthony
    --
    http://www.whuddafug.com

  6. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ver-ports.html

    > Good. I saved it for careful study.
    >
    > Looks like I better get nmap installed.
    >
    > I have it on the CD's!

    Do you allow localhost to connect to any port in your firewall settings?
    Sometimes it is better to check things like this from a remote machine
    because you will be seen as a remote machine by the firewall. Depending on
    your firewall settings you may even want to find a computer outside of your
    network.

    --
    Ed

  7. Re: OT ATTN raf Bittorrent was Re: OT Mp3 Sites....

    On 2007-11-28, james wrote:
    > Tom N wrote in
    >
    >> Not sure what you mean, Bud. I've been downloading the .torrent files
    >> from websites and feeding them to my bittorrent client.

    > Hi, Tom! I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, but I do hope
    > that you know that many of the music .torrent files contain copyrighted
    > material and thus cannot be legally downloaded in certain parts of the
    > world.
    >
    > In fact, in the good ol' USofA the RIAA has been doing quite a bit of suing
    > of people who do (and many who do not, some of whom were even deceased!)
    > download torrents of copyrighted material.
    >
    > And, don't forget the MPAA, either! Nor the (thrice-damned) DMCA that
    > allows them to use these possibly unconstitutional and certainly bullying
    > tactics.
    >
    > So, I've not seen you admit to downloading any copyrighted work, but I
    > thought that a word to a (possible) newbie might be in good order.
    >
    > No offense meant, and I certainly hope that none was taken. Have a good
    > time with your computing adventure in Linux. ;v)

    Good of you to warn me. I could just as well use a pay site. But then, I
    could just as well buy a brand new, state-of-the-art laptop and pay some
    geek to maintain vista on it and keep it up-to-date and hold my hand
    via personal technical support no further away than my cellphone and have
    cable installed for a super-fast connection....

    But it's the adventure, you know: Older computer, obscure Linux variant,
    dialup connection, bittorrent.

    Unfortunately, the dialup has to go. It just isn't up to dealing with
    modern comuters and the modern internet. But I'll make out just fine
    with ADSL speeds.

    As for legal problems, well, that's what I have a lawyer for. I'm pretty
    sure she can protect me.

    Thanks to you, she'll get a heads up today and will be able to bring
    herself up to date on this subject.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  8. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables --revisited

    On 2007-11-28, Mikhail Zotov wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:53:01 +0100 (CET)
    > Tom N wrote:
    >> 1. I have already clearly established, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that
    >> I am not a person looking for a "warm and fuzzy" operating system.

    > Tom,
    >
    > I am going to (modestly ;-) suggest you to try this package:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/slackfire/s...2-noarch-1.tgz
    >
    > Install it as any other Slackware package, and you will get
    > a basic firewall protecting your system from any inbound
    > connections. You will find how to tune the firewall up to
    > almost any needs of a home workstation (and not only) if you
    > check the README:
    >
    > http://slackfire.berlios.de/README
    >
    > (also included in the package).
    >
    > As an alternative, I suggest you try Easy Firewall Generator:
    > http://easyfwgen.morizot.net/

    Thanks, Mikhail. I'll look into both of those. That README
    looks like just what I need.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  9. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-28, Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:

    >>> Sorry I have mislead you a bit. There are several ways to check.
    >>>

    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ver-ports.html
    >>
    >> Good. I saved it for careful study.
    >>
    >> Looks like I better get nmap installed.
    >>
    >> I have it on the CD's!
    >>

    > Do you allow localhost to connect to any port in your firewall settings?

    Yes.

    > Sometimes it is better to check things like this from a remote machine
    > because you will be seen as a remote machine by the firewall. Depending on
    > your firewall settings you may even want to find a computer outside of your
    > network.

    Thanks Ed. I don't know how to pull that off. I really don't trust any websites.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  10. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-24, Tom N wrote:

    I see that Alan Hicks brought the trolls here again.

    Every time he shows up he makes trouble and
    brings the trolls.

    I wonder how many of them are him?

    I wonder if they actually think I read their posts?

    Probably. They obviously aren't very bright, or
    they'd get lives.

    Clearly, Hicks is a troll.

    Good-bye, troll.

    Tom

  11. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:53:28 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    Jesus, will you just leave? You're a whiny little bitch, and are becoming
    even more annoying than "rm", which I wouldn't have thought possible.

    Just ****ing go bother some other newsgroup, you ignorant ****.

  12. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables --revisited

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:23:12 +0100 (CET)
    Tom N wrote:

    > On 2007-11-28, Mikhail Zotov wrote:
    > > http://slackfire.berlios.de/README
    > >
    > > (also included in the package).
    > >
    > > As an alternative, I suggest you try Easy Firewall Generator:
    > > http://easyfwgen.morizot.net/
    > >

    > Thanks, Mikhail. I'll look into both of those. That README
    > looks like just what I need.

    Great. I'm really glad :-)

    --
    Mikhail

  13. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    wrote:
    >I will [...] stomp your ass and turn your computers into junk.
    >
    >I have no respect at all for cowards who think they are hidden behind
    >the internet and abuse people.

    Thanks for helping us understand how you feel.

    -Beej

  14. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

  15. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On 2007-11-28, Tom N wrote:

    > Nobody talks to me like that.
    >
    > And nobody talks to me the way you are talking to me right now.
    >
    > Just where the hell you both get the idea that you are superior to me,
    > I don't know.
    >
    > But I do know one thing: You wouldn't talk like this to my face.
    >
    > Or to anybody's face.
    >
    > You only do it because you are safe at home behind the internet.
    >
    > And ANYONE can talk big in such circumestances.

    With rants like the above, nobody's going to talk to you. Best of luck
    getting help in the future!

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  16. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:32:32 +0000 (UTC), whuddafugger@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    >Sometimes it's easier to just turn off your PC.

    I use the delete key ) Sometimes a kill file.

    Grant.

  17. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    Tom N wrote:

    >> Do you allow localhost to connect to any port in your firewall settings?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> Sometimes it is better to check things like this from a remote machine
    >> because you will be seen as a remote machine by the firewall. Depending
    >> on your firewall settings you may even want to find a computer outside of
    >> your network.
    >>

    > Thanks Ed. I don't know how to pull that off. I really don't trust any
    > websites.

    Do you know anybody with an internet connection? You can visit them and run
    a scan from their computer by either installing the appropriate apps onto
    their computer or using a live CD.

    Here is a list of live CDs you probably will find scan tools with the ones
    whose function is security.

    Ed

  18. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    wooaaa i go away for a few days and look what i miss...

    new keyboard comandos...

    I admit Mr Hicks doesnt like it when he is put in his place and I
    applaud anyone who does it.

    But theres the right way and wrong way to do it, as an ISP administrator
    I am sure he not only violated any usenet service, but also his ISP's
    T&C, and is grounds for instant termination of his service, however as
    part of my job I am also our companies law enforcment liasion officer and
    at least in Australia I see nothing, and I mean nothing at all, that
    warrants any law enforcement agency involvment and I'd be surprised if it
    did in any other "western world" country.

    Come on kids this usenet for ****s sake, its the home of abuse and trolls

    <450 quoted posts snipped>

    --
    Regards,
    Res

  19. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, whuddafugger@sbcglobal.net wrote:

    > War all the time. Such is the nature of Man. And of Usenet, too.

    So true

    --
    Cheers
    Res

  20. Re: Is This A Good Basic Firewall? -- Iptables

    You know a short while back I tried to do something with this newsgroup. I
    wanted to encourage more intelligent discussion about Slackware. So along
    these lines I started a column called looking at Slackware. Now when I
    posted that an arsehole called "Dan C" abused me. I abused him back,
    eventually the entire group was overcome with us calling each others names.
    Then Sylvain Robitaille basically said to me

    WTF are you doing Richard you said you wanted intelligent discussion about
    Slackware but all you are doing is making a flamewar.

    He was right so right then I stopped it. No matter how much I felt the need
    to continually retaliate against "Dan C" doing so was not helping further
    my goals.

    So I ask you the same question WTF are you doing, are you really interested
    in personal vendetta or do you want to learn about Slackware?

    It is ok to flame Alan once or twice for what he said but to keep it up is
    counterproductive to your goals. By following this course of action you are
    harming your interests.

    Just because someone else acts like an arsehole does not mean you should act
    like one too. That is just plain silly.

    Richard James