xfig broken in slackware? - Slackware

This is a discussion on xfig broken in slackware? - Slackware ; I am running slackware 10.0, and Xfig does not seem to load any of the fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of ...

  1. xfig broken in slackware?

    I am running slackware 10.0, and Xfig does not seem to load any of the
    fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it
    displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of
    default xfig font. I suspect this has something to do with the font
    installation and paths, but I am not familiar enough with fonts to be
    able to debug this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. Re: xfig broken in slackware?

    Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    > I am running slackware 10.0, and Xfig does not seem to load any of the
    > fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it
    > displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of
    > default xfig font. I suspect this has something to do with the font
    > installation and paths, but I am not familiar enough with fonts to be
    > able to debug this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Is xfig broken in Slack? Not inherently; I've used it for years.
    What version/where did you get it from?

    Try loading xfig from a console, with debug enabled:
    > xfig -debug

    Does it print anything useful?

    What are your language settings?
    > env | grep LC_
    > env | grep LANG

    - Daniel

  3. Re: xfig broken in slackware?

    Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    > I am running slackware 10.0, and Xfig does not seem to load any of the
    > fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it
    > displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of
    > default xfig font. I suspect this has something to do with the font
    > installation and paths, but I am not familiar enough with fonts to be
    > able to debug this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Google is your friend; the first entry to the query "xfig Slackware
    12.0" give the solution:

    http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f70/wor...12-0-a-501001/

    Olive

  4. Re: xfig broken in slackware?

    On Nov 23, 5:16 pm, D Herring wrote:
    > Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    > > I am runningslackware10.0, andXfigdoes not seem to load any of the
    > >fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it
    > > displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of
    > > defaultxfigfont. I suspect this has something to do with the font
    > > installation and paths, but I am not familiar enough withfontsto be
    > > able to debug this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    > Isxfigbroken in Slack? Not inherently; I've used it for years.
    > What version/where did you get it from?
    >
    > Try loadingxfigfrom a console, with debug enabled:
    > >xfig-debug

    > Does it print anything useful?
    >
    > What are your language settings?
    > > env | grep LC_
    > > env | grep LANG

    > - Daniel

    The only error message is "Warning: Cannot convert string "7x13bold"
    to type FontStruct. This is displayed on the xterm I am starting xfig
    from. The another error window pops up along with the Xfig window and
    that says "Can't load font: 8x13bold, using 6x13".

    After that everything runs without any error messages, but when I
    change fonts nothing really changes.

  5. Re: xfig broken in slackware?

    On Nov 23, 5:28 pm, Olive wrote:
    > Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    > > I am runningslackware10.0, andXfigdoes not seem to load any of the
    > >fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it
    > > displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of
    > > defaultxfigfont. I suspect this has something to do with the font
    > > installation and paths, but I am not familiar enough withfontsto be
    > > able to debug this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    > Google is your friend; the first entry to the query "xfigSlackware
    > 12.0" give the solution:
    >
    > http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f70/wor...g-slackware-12...
    >
    > Olive

    I saw that one too, but it didn't see to be the same thing. But I
    tried what they suggested
    xfig -library_dir /usr/lib/X11/xfig/Libraries -keyFile /usr/lib/X11/
    xfig/CompKeyDB
    but the error message I got was exactly the same as before.

  6. Re: xfig broken in slackware?

    On Nov 23, 5:16 pm, D Herring wrote:
    > Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    > > I am runningslackware10.0, andXfigdoes not seem to load any of the
    > >fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it
    > > displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of
    > > defaultxfigfont. I suspect this has something to do with the font
    > > installation and paths, but I am not familiar enough withfontsto be
    > > able to debug this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    > Isxfigbroken in Slack? Not inherently; I've used it for years.
    > What version/where did you get it from?
    >
    > Try loadingxfigfrom a console, with debug enabled:
    > >xfig-debug

    > Does it print anything useful?
    >
    > What are your language settings?
    > > env | grep LC_
    > > env | grep LANG

    > - Daniel

    env | grep LC_ gives "LC_COLLATE=C". env | grep LANG gives
    "LANG=en_US"

  7. Re: xfig broken in slackware?

    Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    > On Nov 23, 5:16 pm, D Herring wrote:
    >> Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    >>> I am runningslackware10.0, andXfigdoes not seem to load any of the
    >>> fonts. I can pick a different font, or change font size, and it
    >>> displays exactly the same font, which appears to be some sort of
    >>> defaultxfigfont. I suspect this has something to do with the font
    >>> installation and paths, but I am not familiar enough withfontsto be
    >>> able to debug this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    >> Isxfigbroken in Slack? Not inherently; I've used it for years.
    >> What version/where did you get it from?
    >>
    >> Try loadingxfigfrom a console, with debug enabled:
    >> >xfig-debug

    >> Does it print anything useful?
    >>
    >> What are your language settings?
    >> > env | grep LC_
    >> > env | grep LANG

    >> - Daniel

    > The only error message is "Warning: Cannot convert string "7x13bold"
    > to type FontStruct. This is displayed on the xterm I am starting xfig
    > from. The another error window pops up along with the Xfig window and
    > that says "Can't load font: 8x13bold, using 6x13".
    >
    > After that everything runs without any error messages, but when I
    > change fonts nothing really changes.

    I dunno what's wrong. A couple more things to check:

    This is xfig as distributed by slack 10.0?
    transfig-3.2.4 and xfig-3.2.3d?

    Did you install all the font packages (x11-fonts-misc,
    x11-fonts-scale, x11-fonts-100dpi)?

    Will a later version compile and run properly?
    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...4.full.tar.bz2
    or 3.2.5 from xfig.org

    - Daniel

  8. Re: xfig broken in slackware?

    On Nov 23, 9:08 pm, D Herring wrote:
    > Andrew Sarangan wrote:
    > >> Isxfigbroken in Slack? Not inherently; I've used it for years.
    > >> What version/where did you get it from?

    > >> Try loadingxfigfrom a console, with debug enabled:

    > >> Does it print anything useful?

    > >> What are your language settings?

    > >> - Daniel

    > > The only error message is "Warning: Cannot convert string "7x13bold"
    > > to type FontStruct. This is displayed on the xterm I am starting xfig
    > > from. The another error window pops up along with the Xfig window and
    > > that says "Can't load font: 8x13bold, using 6x13".

    > > After that everything runs without any error messages, but when I
    > > change fonts nothing really changes.

    > I dunno what's wrong. A couple more things to check:
    >
    > This is xfig as distributed by slack 10.0?
    > transfig-3.2.4 and xfig-3.2.3d?
    >
    > Did you install all the font packages (x11-fonts-misc,
    > x11-fonts-scale, x11-fonts-100dpi)?
    >
    > Will a later version compile and run properly?ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../t/xfig/xfig.3....
    > or 3.2.5 from xfig.org
    >
    > - Daniel- Hide quoted text -

    OK, I figured out. Dumb mistake on my part. I am missing fonts on my X
    client (Xming). I had not realized that the fonts being used are from
    the client and not the server. Once I installed the fonts that came
    with Xming, it worked fine. Thanks for all the suggestions, anyway.

+ Reply to Thread