dropline gnome - Slackware

This is a discussion on dropline gnome - Slackware ; Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but ...

  1. dropline gnome

    Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it
    is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the
    gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but there are
    gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is just a
    nightmare.

    Olive

  2. Re: dropline gnome

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100, Olive wrote:

    > Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it
    > is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the
    > gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but there are
    > gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is just a
    > nightmare.
    >
    > Olive

    try garnome. you can compile individual apps and dependencies without
    having to install the whole thing. I use it JUST for evolution and it
    works fine. you can also try jhbuild.

    http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/jhbuild.html

    FWIW, I think garnome is a lot easier.

    The benefit of both of these systems is that they do NOT affect any host
    files. They install into their own directories, libraries, configurations,
    and all. The user just prepends paths and LD_LIBRARY_PATH statements and
    off you go. For example, in my .bash_profile, I have:

    GARVER=2.21.2

    GARNOME=/opt/gnome/$GARVER

    PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/
    site-packages/gtk-2.0
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
    GDK_USE_XFT=1
    XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share:/usr/share
    XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
    MANPATH=$GARNOME/man:$MANPATH
    DBUS_LAUNCH="dbus-launch --exit-with-session"

    all of which is covered in the documentation. It's clean, does not affect
    Slackware at all, and is self contained. The Slackware gnome packages are
    all intrusive and will overwrite system files.

    --
    Peter

  3. Re: dropline gnome

    Olive wrote (Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100):

    > Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it
    > is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the
    > gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but there are
    > gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is just a
    > nightmare.
    >
    > Olive

    We use it at home on three machines, two of them are rather recent. It
    works just nicely.

    Here I have slamd64 (11) with dropline (2.18.3). No Problems except
    evolution dies about once in two weeks
    (and freecell once in 5 games...:-( ) -- I didn't look into any of
    these...

    Have fun

    Franz

  4. Re: dropline gnome

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100, Olive wrote:

    > Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it
    > is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the
    > gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but there are
    > gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is just a
    > nightmare.

    I used it LONG ago and while it looked nice, it did give me problems
    eventually (when "updating"). I do understand it's better now, but I'm a
    little hesitant about using it again. In fact I've switched over to Xfce
    due to the lack of an up-to-date Gnome version for Slackware these days.

    However, the folks at GnomeSlackBuild are very close to releasing a new
    version (Gnome 2.20), and I may check that out. This is a fork/rename of
    the old FreeRock Gnome project, which I used for a long time and was very
    pleased with. Check 'em out here:
    http://gnomeslackbuild.org/

    I have also used Garnome as another poster suggested, and had good results
    with it. Little bit of a learning curve, but not too bad. Good luck.

  5. Re: dropline gnome

    http://www.slacky.eu/index.php?optio...2476&Itemid=58

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100, Olive wrote:
    but there are
    > gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is just a
    > nightmare.
    >
    > Olive

  6. Re: dropline gnome

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100, Olive wrote:

    > Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it
    > is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the
    > gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but there are
    > gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is just a
    > nightmare.

    Having installed all the major Gnome distributions for Slackware,
    the only one that has consistently worked and that is the least intrusive
    is GnomeSlacky, the one packaged by the guys at slacky.eu. As an extra
    advantage, those fellows have packages available immediately after Gnome
    announces them, unlike the other Gnome-for-Slackware packagers, that seem
    to take months to do so: As another poster mentions, ex-Freerock is about
    to release their 2.20 packaging real soon now (whatever that means,)
    whereas slacky.eu released their Gnome 2.20.1 packaging a few weeks ago
    already - which is the environment I am using to post this.

  7. Re: dropline gnome

    Peter wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100, Olive wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it
    >> is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the
    >> gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but there are
    >> gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is just a
    >> nightmare.
    >>
    >> Olive

    > try garnome. you can compile individual apps and dependencies without
    > having to install the whole thing. I use it JUST for evolution and it
    > works fine. you can also try jhbuild.
    >
    > http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    > http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/jhbuild.html
    >
    > FWIW, I think garnome is a lot easier.
    >
    > The benefit of both of these systems is that they do NOT affect any host
    > files. They install into their own directories, libraries, configurations,
    > and all. The user just prepends paths and LD_LIBRARY_PATH statements and
    > off you go. For example, in my .bash_profile, I have:
    >
    > GARVER=2.21.2
    >
    > GARNOME=/opt/gnome/$GARVER
    >
    > PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    > PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/
    > site-packages/gtk-2.0
    > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
    > GDK_USE_XFT=1
    > XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share:/usr/share
    > XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
    > MANPATH=$GARNOME/man:$MANPATH
    > DBUS_LAUNCH="dbus-launch --exit-with-session"

    It works... but

    If you put this in your ./bash_profile; it does means that all gtk
    applications will link to the garnome version of gtk (and similarly for
    all library present in the same time in Slackware and garnome) (this is
    the effect of LD_LIBRARY6PATH). We can write a wrapper for every
    application that we want; but the remaining problem is that I can't have
    the standard slackware dbus and hal running... That may be to too
    serious though...

    Olive

  8. Re: dropline gnome

    Federico Savini wrote:
    > http://www.slacky.eu/index.php?optio...2476&Itemid=58

    Will try that, didn't know it

    Olive

  9. Re: dropline gnome

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:15:06 +0100, Olive wrote:

    > Peter wrote:
    >> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100, Olive wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone has tried dropline gnome? It seems from their home page that it
    >>> is much less intrusive that it used to be. It is not that I like the
    >>> gnome desktop (I prefer a plain window manager like icewm) but there
    >>> are gnome applications that are worth to try; and compiling them is
    >>> just a nightmare.
    >>>
    >>> Olive

    >> try garnome. you can compile individual apps and dependencies without
    >> having to install the whole thing. I use it JUST for evolution and it
    >> works fine. you can also try jhbuild.
    >>
    >> http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/
    >> http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/jhbuild.html
    >>
    >> FWIW, I think garnome is a lot easier.
    >>
    >> The benefit of both of these systems is that they do NOT affect any
    >> host files. They install into their own directories, libraries,
    >> configurations, and all. The user just prepends paths and
    >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH statements and off you go. For example, in my
    >> .bash_profile, I have:
    >>
    >> GARVER=2.21.2
    >>
    >> GARNOME=/opt/gnome/$GARVER
    >>
    >> PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
    >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    >> PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$GARNOME/lib/python2.4/
    >> site-packages/gtk-2.0
    >> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig GDK_USE_XFT=1
    >> XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share:/usr/share
    >> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg MANPATH=$GARNOME/man:$MANPATH
    >> DBUS_LAUNCH="dbus-launch --exit-with-session"

    > It works... but
    >
    > If you put this in your ./bash_profile; it does means that all gtk
    > applications will link to the garnome version of gtk (and similarly for
    > all library present in the same time in Slackware and garnome) (this is
    > the effect of LD_LIBRARY6PATH). We can write a wrapper for every
    > application that we want; but the remaining problem is that I can't have
    > the standard slackware dbus and hal running... That may be to too
    > serious though...
    >
    > Olive

    Well, actually, there is a _trick_ for using select system libraries with
    garnome and not having them compiled. But, the authors and I decided not
    to publish it because no one wanted to support such a wacky setup. It
    allows me to use system copies of glib, gtk, hal, dbus, etc. and have
    garnome access them. Only caveat is that the libraries must be kept up to
    date with gnome's requirements. For example, both glibc and gtk2 will need
    updating regardless.

    As for slack programs needing their own libraries if garnome duplicates
    it, this is not necessarily true. I have things working smoothly, but
    remember, I am only using one gnome application and installed only it and
    needed libraries.

    Good luck
    --
    Peter

  10. Re: dropline gnome

    > Well, actually, there is a _trick_ for using select system libraries with
    > garnome and not having them compiled. But, the authors and I decided not
    > to publish it because no one wanted to support such a wacky setup. It
    > allows me to use system copies of glib, gtk, hal, dbus, etc. and have
    > garnome access them. Only caveat is that the libraries must be kept up to
    > date with gnome's requirements. For example, both glibc and gtk2 will need
    > updating regardless.
    >
    > As for slack programs needing their own libraries if garnome duplicates
    > it, this is not necessarily true. I have things working smoothly, but
    > remember, I am only using one gnome application and installed only it and
    > needed libraries.

    That may be true; but I must confess that I am tempted by the gnome
    package at slacky. It clearly documents what it replaces and even
    provide an option in their installer to unstall everything they have
    installed and restore the standard Slackware packages (for which there
    is a backup on their CD). The replaced Slackware packages seems
    unavoidable to replace. If it cause problems at least it is easy to
    come back: I remember having tried dropline a long time ago and that was
    a real problem.

    Olive

  11. Re: dropline gnome

    Federico Savini wrote:
    > http://www.slacky.eu/index.php?optio...2476&Itemid=58

    That really seems interesting...

    I see in RELEASE_NOTES

    [...]
    It looks like the only outside GNOME for Slackware that's
    actively maintained is this one:

    http://www.droplinegnome.net/

    Since it replaces some system components, using it voids your
    warranty
    [...]

    It just look like that PV didn't know the existence of this packaging of
    Gnome for Slackware. It would probably be a good idea for the
    responsible of this project to write him an email...

    Olive

  12. Re: dropline gnome

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:49:58 +0100, Olive wrote:

    snip...

    > That may be true; but I must confess that I am tempted by the gnome
    > package at slacky. It clearly documents what it replaces and even
    > provide an option in their installer to unstall everything they have
    > installed and restore the standard Slackware packages (for which there
    > is a backup on their CD). The replaced Slackware packages seems
    > unavoidable to replace. If it cause problems at least it is easy to
    > come back: I remember having tried dropline a long time ago and that was
    > a real problem.
    >
    > Olive

    Obviously it's a matter of what works best and what works easiest. I
    actually tried GWare about two years ago, but because it upset so many
    packages native to slackware and they almost ceased development, I decided
    to try garnome. Since I stubbornly stick with Evolution and don't want to
    migrate to T-bird or Claws-mail, I am forced to stick with gnome. Don't
    think I haven't written to the evo team and asked why oh why did they
    decide to go away from plain gtk to gnome-based. A real mistake if you ask
    me.

    But, even though I stick with evo, I do NOT in any way want gnome. I just
    use what I have to and so far, since 2.16 it's worked.

    Good luck. Be sure to report back once you decide which gnome you're going
    to use and how it works.

    --
    Peter

  13. Re: dropline gnome

    and more:

    http://wolvix.org/

    It's slack-distro with xfce4 as WM,
    but with a lot of gnome applications

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:57:41 +0100, Olive wrote:
    but there are gnome applications that are worth to try;
    and compiling them is just a nightmare.

    > Olive

+ Reply to Thread