Splashy and Slack 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Splashy and Slack 12 - Slackware ; Hi all! I wonder if someone got the Splashy boot splash program working properly using Slack 12? I got it compiled it according to Eric Hammerless nice instructions on http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/slackware And so far so good. But I want to get ...

  1. Splashy and Slack 12

    Hi all!
    I wonder if someone got the Splashy boot splash program working properly
    using Slack 12?

    I got it compiled it according to Eric Hammerless nice instructions on
    http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/slackware
    And so far so good. But I want to get rid os the text in the beginning, I
    use the splash screen to hide those messages that comes up so people don't
    freak out totally.
    But I can't figure out how to get the initrd to start the splash in the
    start and the instructions I found so far in this topic is of no use.

    Thanks
    //Micke

  2. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    Richard James wrote:

    > Mussemouse wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all!
    >> I wonder if someone got the Splashy boot splash program working properly
    >> using Slack 12?
    >>
    >> I got it compiled it according to Eric Hammerless nice instructions on
    >> http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/slackware
    >> And so far so good. But I want to get rid os the text in the beginning, I
    >> use the splash screen to hide those messages that comes up so people
    >> don't freak out totally.
    >> But I can't figure out how to get the initrd to start the splash in the
    >> start and the instructions I found so far in this topic is of no use.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> //Micke

    > AFAIK there are three lots of text
    > 1) is lilo talking
    > 2) is the kernel booting
    > 3) is the system init (all of rc.d output)
    >
    > Which one did you specifically want to hide?
    >
    > I think splashy only hides #3
    > #1 and #2 can be hidden by using a LILO bootsplash.
    >
    > Richard James

    The system boots perfectly.
    All msgs from kernel is seen.
    When rc.S and rc.M starts the splash is hiding it.
    I read that it should be possible to use an initrd to hide the first parts
    but when I try that doing as I always did when using Slack 10.2 by using
    mkinitrd the system does not start. I must do something wrong with it since
    I get an error telling me that no /sbin/init is found.

    Thanks for the tips I am going to try with
    append = "splash=silent"
    or something like that in lilo.conf

    //Micke

  3. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    #1 and #2 can be hidden by using a LILO bootsplash.

    Richard James

  4. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    >> AFAIK there are three lots of text
    >> 1) is lilo talking
    >> 2) is the kernel booting
    >> 3) is the system init (all of rc.d output)

    > All msgs from kernel is seen.
    > When rc.S and rc.M starts the splash is hiding it.
    > I read that it should be possible to use an initrd to hide the first parts
    > but when I try that doing as I always did when using Slack 10.2 by using
    > mkinitrd the system does not start. I must do something wrong with it
    > since I get an error telling me that no /sbin/init is found.

    You can setup the initrd so that you get a splash a bit earlier in the boot
    process... But first try to add quiet on the kernel command line (you use
    lilo?, then that's in append = "quiet ...")

    --
    damjan

  5. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    Damjan wrote:

    > You can setup the initrd so that you get a splash a bit earlier in the
    > boot process... But first try to add quiet on the kernel command line (you
    > use lilo?, then that's in append = "quiet ...")

    Been there and tried that. Made the screen black instead. The after a while
    the splash came.
    I think I continue to try with an initrd. No success to even get it to run.
    A nice error message shows up saying that no init found in /sbin ?? Nad
    naturally a kernel panic.
    This is really fun.

    Thanks anyway for the tips!

    //Micke

  6. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    Mussemouse wrote:

    > Hi all!
    > I wonder if someone got the Splashy boot splash program working properly
    > using Slack 12?
    >
    > I got it compiled it according to Eric Hammerless nice instructions on
    > http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/slackware
    > And so far so good. But I want to get rid os the text in the beginning, I
    > use the splash screen to hide those messages that comes up so people don't
    > freak out totally.
    > But I can't figure out how to get the initrd to start the splash in the
    > start and the instructions I found so far in this topic is of no use.
    >
    > Thanks
    > //Micke

    Well, I had to give this up and return to good old bootsplash with the
    patching of the kernel. Now it works as a charm..
    To bad though. But in the near future I think it will be usable.

    //Micke

  7. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    >> You can setup the initrd so that you get a splash a bit earlier in the
    >> boot process... But first try to add quiet on the kernel command line
    >> (you use lilo?, then that's in append = "quiet ...")
    >>

    > Been there and tried that. Made the screen black instead. The after a
    > while
    > the splash came.
    > I think I continue to try with an initrd.

    ok, if you want the splash that early .. I use the fbcondecor patch for the
    kernel(1), and then you need the fbsplash utils(2). The last thing you need
    to do is put a splash theme and /sbin/fbcondecor_helper in the initramfs.

    That's what I have and it works.

    (1) http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/fbcondecor/
    (2) http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/

    ps, I also use the uvesafb patch for 2.6.23, but that's included in 2.6.24
    already.

    --
    damjan

  8. Re: Splashy and Slack 12 -irrelevant comment

    On 2007-11-21, Mussemouse wrote:
    > I want to get rid os the text in the beginning, I
    > use the splash screen to hide those messages that comes up so people don't
    > freak out totally.

    I have never met a person who freaks out when they see my computer boot up.
    Not sure I would let them back in my house, and I certainly wouldn't let them
    touch my computer.

    Most people find it fascinating.

    I always study the screen when the system boots up. To see what's going on and if
    there's anything that needs to be attended to. For some reason, all of it never
    makes it to the logs in /var.

    Plus, the boottime messages seem to be an endless study list. One day I hope to
    actually understand all of them.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  9. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    Damjan wrote:

    >>> You can setup the initrd so that you get a splash a bit earlier in the
    >>> boot process... But first try to add quiet on the kernel command line
    >>> (you use lilo?, then that's in append = "quiet ...")
    >>>

    >> Been there and tried that. Made the screen black instead. The after a
    >> while
    >> the splash came.
    >> I think I continue to try with an initrd.

    > ok, if you want the splash that early .. I use the fbcondecor patch for
    > the kernel(1), and then you need the fbsplash utils(2). The last thing you
    > need to do is put a splash theme and /sbin/fbcondecor_helper in the
    > initramfs.
    >
    > That's what I have and it works.
    >
    > (1) http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/fbcondecor/
    > (2) http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/
    >
    > ps, I also use the uvesafb patch for 2.6.23, but that's included in 2.6.24
    > already.

    Thanks for those tips!
    I will check them out and see if I manage better with that than Splashy!

    //Micke

  10. Re: Splashy and Slack 12 -irrelevant comment

    Tom N wrote:

    > On 2007-11-21, Mussemouse wrote:
    >> I want to get rid os the text in the beginning, I
    >> use the splash screen to hide those messages that comes up so people
    >> don't freak out totally.

    > I have never met a person who freaks out when they see my computer boot
    > up. Not sure I would let them back in my house, and I certainly wouldn't
    > let them touch my computer.

    I have met several that starts to call and ask what is wrong with the
    computer when they see the messages :-D

    > Most people find it fascinating.

    Not the description I would use, more useful than fascinating.

    > I always study the screen when the system boots up. To see what's going on
    > and if there's anything that needs to be attended to. For some reason, all
    > of it never makes it to the logs in /var.

    > Plus, the boottime messages seem to be an endless study list. One day I
    > hope to actually understand all of them.

    So do I!

    //Micke

  11. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    Damjan wrote:

    >>> You can setup the initrd so that you get a splash a bit earlier in the
    >>> boot process... But first try to add quiet on the kernel command line
    >>> (you use lilo?, then that's in append = "quiet ...")
    >>>

    >> Been there and tried that. Made the screen black instead. The after a
    >> while
    >> the splash came.
    >> I think I continue to try with an initrd.

    > ok, if you want the splash that early .. I use the fbcondecor patch for
    > the kernel(1), and then you need the fbsplash utils(2). The last thing you
    > need to do is put a splash theme and /sbin/fbcondecor_helper in the
    > initramfs.
    >
    > That's what I have and it works.
    >
    > (1) http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/fbcondecor/
    > (2) http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/
    >
    > ps, I also use the uvesafb patch for 2.6.23, but that's included in 2.6.24
    > already.

    I tried that one, no success. Must be missing something in the system. I'm
    running Slack 12 mostly standard installation and an 'Os: Command not
    found ' Shows up and in the end 'jcapimin.o : No such file .....'
    You know where those files belong? Trying to follow the instructions on the
    Gentoo site but I have never tested that distro so I don't know what they
    are talking about sometimes.
    Emerge must be equal to ' tar whateverneeded filename ; ./configure ; make'

    But the rest? :-D

    Well I continue my trials and errors and if I don't get this working I go
    back to a kernel that is supported by the old boosplash.

    //Micke

  12. Re: Splashy and Slack 12

    >> ps, I also use the uvesafb patch for 2.6.23, but that's included in
    >> 2.6.24 already.
    >>

    > I tried that one, no success. Must be missing something in the system. I'm
    > running Slack 12 mostly standard installation and an 'Os: Command not
    > found ' Shows up and in the end

    Yeah, actually it's a bit pain to set up right now. You need the v86d
    executable in the initramfs. v86d needs to be compiled against klibc, and
    that klibc needs to be compiled against the patched kernel.

    Well.. I did all that and it works fine now... but generally it's a pain. I
    just mentioned since when 2.6.24 and later ships and after distros respin
    their packages (like klibc) it'll be much easier.

    --
    damjan

+ Reply to Thread