Help needed building SMP kernel - Slackware

This is a discussion on Help needed building SMP kernel - Slackware ; Sorry if this is off topic for this NG. I have already posted to comp.os.linux.hardware - but no luck. Since I use Slackware I am going to ask for help here... I'm trying to build an SMP kernel that will ...

  1. Help needed building SMP kernel

    Sorry if this is off topic for this NG. I have already posted to
    comp.os.linux.hardware - but no luck. Since I use Slackware I am going
    to ask for help here...

    I'm trying to build an SMP kernel that will boot on my laptop.
    The laptop is HP Pavilion DV9408 with an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-53
    cpu.
    The problem I'm having is that with an SMP kernel, the machine freezes
    during bootup 8 times out 10. However on those rare occasions when the
    SMP kernel boots up successfully, it runs very well. A uniprocessor
    kernel boots-up with no problems.

    The freeze at bootup occurs as follows:
    "Total of 2 processors activated (6835.77 BogoMIPS)
    ExtINT not setup in hardware but reported by MP table
    ENABLING IO-APICS IRQs
    ....TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=-1 pin1=-1 apic2=0 pin2=0
    ....trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through 8259A...
    .... (found pin 0)...failed
    ....trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ...failed
    ....trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works"

    (freeze occurs at his point and I have to use the power button
    to turn machine off, then on again)

    I've tried kernels 2.6.22.10, 2.6.22.12, 2.6.23.1, and 2.6.23.8 with
    the same results.
    Re. building the kernel I have set the pertinent parts of the kernel
    config as follows:
    > Processor family=Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
    > Symmetric multi-processing support=y
    > Subarchitecture Type=pc-compatible
    > HPET timer support=y
    > Max number of CPUs=2 (there are only 2 cores)
    > Multi-core scheduler support=y

    As far as I can understand, the above are the only items related to
    an SMP kernel. Are there any others?
    (If it will help I can provide output of lspci, usb, etc...)

    I have observed the following:
    (1) Vista boots OK on the same machine everytime.
    (2) Uniprocessor kernels boot OK everytime.
    (3) Usually after booting up Vista, an SMP kernel boots up OK,
    but may not the next time. Have had a maximum of 4 consecutive
    successful bootups with an SMP kernel (2.6.23.1), after which
    a freeze occurs. Then I reboot to Vista, and keep trying to
    boot the SMP kernel. Usually I just give up after 3 tries and
    use the uniprocessor kernel.
    (4) If I try boot an SMP kernel after running a uniprocessor
    kernel machine *WILL* freeze.
    (5) If I try boot an SMP kernel after running an SMP kernel
    the machine *MAY* freeze.
    (6) Once it boots successfully, an SMP kernel is just as
    reliable as a single processor kernel.

    Any insight into this problem would be really appreciated!

    BTW - I've searched for "problems+linux+IO-APIC" and though there were
    quite a few hits none helped me since those had nothing to do with SMP
    kernels.

    Thanks all.

  2. Re: Help needed building SMP kernel

    On 2007-11-20, Manimoto wrote:

    > The freeze at bootup occurs as follows:
    > "Total of 2 processors activated (6835.77 BogoMIPS)
    > ExtINT not setup in hardware but reported by MP table
    > ENABLING IO-APICS IRQs
    > ...TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=-1 pin1=-1 apic2=0 pin2=0
    > ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through 8259A...
    > ... (found pin 0)...failed
    > ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ...failed
    > ...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works"

    Try booting the supplied Slackware SMP kernel with the "noapic"
    option.

    -RW

  3. Re: Help needed building SMP kernel

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:21:20 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2007-11-20, Manimoto wrote:
    >>
    >> The freeze at bootup occurs as follows: "Total of 2 processors
    >> activated (6835.77 BogoMIPS) ExtINT not setup in hardware but reported
    >> by MP table ENABLING IO-APICS IRQs
    >> ...TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=-1 pin1=-1 apic2=0 pin2=0 ...trying to set
    >> up timer (IRQ0) through 8259A... ... (found pin 0)...failed ...trying
    >> to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ...failed ...trying to set up timer
    >> as ExtINT IRQ... works"

    > Try booting the supplied Slackware SMP kernel with the "noapic" option.
    >
    > -RW

    Or try "nolapic_timer".

    This works on my Compaq f560 (same processor). I tried "noapic" and
    "nolapic" (as well as "noacpi", "irqpoll" and a dozen others), but they
    had some undesirable results - can't remember exactly what. YMMV of
    course.

    Without extra options, the hugesmp kernel froze during boot, but 'unfroze'
    if you pressed the arrow keys, and at one point, the power button for a
    second once it did freeze. Maybe the keyboard interrupts were somehow
    jogging something into action ?

    Phil Young

+ Reply to Thread