Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1 - Slackware ; Well, I have decided to try and install 12 today but found out that my image did not come across. I did have disk lose power at some point. After reinserting it into utorrent/rechecking it looks like it is planning ...

  1. Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    Well, I have decided to try and install 12 today but found out
    that my image did not come across. I did have disk lose power at some
    point. After reinserting it into utorrent/rechecking it looks like it
    is planning to redownload the whole think ( although I did not let it
    finnish even the first piece, but it didn't wipe the file so I can still
    open it in rar and read the text files . )

    So, will torrent sort it out or should I be looking for about 3Meg of
    recovery data ( PAR2 ).

    Cheers Sam.

  2. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:35:12 -0500, Sambo wrote:

    > Well, I have decided to try and install 12 today but found out
    > that my image did not come across. I did have disk lose power at some
    > point. After reinserting it into utorrent/rechecking it looks like it
    > is planning to redownload the whole think ( although I did not let it
    > finnish even the first piece, but it didn't wipe the file so I can still
    > open it in rar and read the text files . )
    >
    > So, will torrent sort it out or should I be looking for about 3Meg of
    > recovery data ( PAR2 ).

    Download it using FTP, and check it's integrity with MD5SUM.

  3. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:35:12 -0500, Sambo wrote:
    >

    >>Well, I have decided to try and install 12 today but found out
    >>that my image did not come across. I did have disk lose power at some
    >>point. After reinserting it into utorrent/rechecking it looks like it
    >>is planning to redownload the whole think ( although I did not let it
    >>finnish even the first piece, but it didn't wipe the file so I can still
    >>open it in rar and read the text files . )
    >>
    >>So, will torrent sort it out or should I be looking for about 3Meg of
    >>recovery data ( PAR2 ).

    > Download it using FTP, and check it's integrity with MD5SUM.

    I wouldn't mind redownloading it if I had high speed and as if that wasn't
    enough the line is so terribly noisy lately.
    I let the torrent go , but while after 5 minutes I hoped it would only take 5 hours,
    after about 40 minutes it looks only fractionally faster than plain ~3KBs download.
    Why doesn't it check the chunks against the torrent file and only download those?
    Now that I think back some more, I had to fix a file in the past but used to use something like bitgui and had to fix a file and worked well.

    Well I guess I'll have to take it up with them guys.

  4. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:57:03 -0500, Sambo wrote:

    >> Download it using FTP, and check it's integrity with MD5SUM.

    > I wouldn't mind redownloading it if I had high speed and as if that wasn't
    > enough the line is so terribly noisy lately.

    Perhaps it's time to join the 21st century...?

    > Well I guess I'll have to take it up with them guys.

    Yeah. Whoever "they" are.

  5. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:57:03 -0500, Sambo wrote:
    >
    >> I wouldn't mind redownloading it if I had high speed and as if that wasn't
    >> enough the line is so terribly noisy lately.

    > Perhaps it's time to join the 21st century...?

    Not everyone has access to high speed, or wants to pay $60/month if all they
    have available for high speed is cable....

    - Kurt

  6. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:29:37 +0000, ~kurt wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't mind redownloading it if I had high speed and as if that
    >>> wasn't enough the line is so terribly noisy lately.

    >> Perhaps it's time to join the 21st century...?

    > Not everyone has access to high speed,

    That's (sort of) true, but even in remote areas there is usually the
    possibility of a satellite/dish setup. For someone wanting to explore
    Linux (which usually involves ISO downloads), it's just a little hard for
    me to understand why they don't do something to enhance that experience.

    > or wants to pay $60/month if all they have available for high speed is
    > cable....

    You make it sound like cable is not a good option for high speed access.
    While it may not be optimal for hosting servers from your house, it's the
    best solution for general household internet access, IMHO. Generally MUCH
    faster than residential grade DSL. I pay less than the $60 you mention
    above, and would gladly pay twice that if that's what it took.

    Many folks resisted the transition to the "horseless carriage", too...

  7. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 23:20:50 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Perhaps it's time to join the 21st century...?

    >> Not everyone has access to high speed,

    > That's (sort of) true, but even in remote areas there is usually the
    > possibility of a satellite/dish setup. For someone wanting to explore
    > Linux (which usually involves ISO downloads), it's just a little hard
    > for me to understand why they don't do something to enhance that
    > experience.

    We have a vsat system, but it's $70 for a 2gig shaped plan (256/64 -
    64/64) so not suitable for downloading an iso. It's about the best you can
    get in a rural area.

    It's good for most other stuff tho, but 2gig is really easy to chew up in
    a couple of weeks

    >> or wants to pay $60/month if all they have available for high speed is
    >> cable....

    > You make it sound like cable is not a good option for high speed access.
    > While it may not be optimal for hosting servers from your house, it's
    > the best solution for general household internet access, IMHO.
    > Generally MUCH faster than residential grade DSL. I pay less than the
    > $60 you mention above, and would gladly pay twice that if that's what it
    > took.
    >
    > Many folks resisted the transition to the "horseless carriage", too...

    I want to be in the 21st century, but 'they' won't let me

    --
    Tim Fairchild on Slackware 12.0.0
    Linux 2.6.23.8-smp AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+

  8. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2007, Tim Fairchild wrote:

    >>> Not everyone has access to high speed,

    Perhaps it's time to order the cd kit from slackware.com ...?
    The postman may have a lot more lag than dialup,
    but he can provide extremely high bandwidth. :*)

    Or, if one is intent on downloading over an (unreliable) dialup,
    then maybe it would be better to go after the distribution tree
    rather than the iso? ie., get the files and burn your own iso.
    That should allow easier recovery from d/l errors.

    Note that rsync is very good at automatic error recovery, very
    good at keeping up-to-date patches/.

    [...]
    >> You make it sound like cable is not a good option for high speed access.
    >> While it may not be optimal for hosting servers from your house, it's
    >> the best solution for general household internet access, IMHO.
    >> Generally MUCH faster than residential grade DSL. I pay less than the
    >> $60 you mention above, and would gladly pay twice that if that's what it
    >> took.
    >>
    >> Many folks resisted the transition to the "horseless carriage", too...
    >>

    > I want to be in the 21st century, but 'they' won't let me

    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  9. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:30:53 -0800, William Hunt wrote:

    >> I want to be in the 21st century, but 'they' won't let me

    I won't believe I'm really in the 21st century until I get my shiny foil
    suit and the flying car to match. And the voice-activated computer that
    can make morning coffee and tell the robot to bring it to my bedside table.

    Ideally, the computer would run slackware. With a command-line interface
    to the voice-activation part, so you can write bash scripts while in the
    shower. And 'cos it would really rack off rm.

  10. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Mark South wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:30:53 -0800, William Hunt wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to be in the 21st century, but 'they' won't let me

    > I won't believe I'm really in the 21st century until I get my shiny foil
    > suit and the flying car to match. And the voice-activated computer that
    > can make morning coffee and tell the robot to bring it to my bedside table.
    >
    > Ideally, the computer would run slackware. With a command-line interface
    > to the voice-activation part, so you can write bash scripts while in the
    > shower. And 'cos it would really rack off rm.

    I read some interesting sci-fi pulp, IIRC Heinlein, _Number of the Beast_,
    featuring tech like flying cars and voice interfaces. Syntactily, the
    voice interface seemed very much like CLI, with typical features like
    user-defined functions.

    The utility of a voice interface really depends on the application,
    and it would be useful only for things which could be expressed in
    the most simple terms. Talking takes more time and physical effort
    than typingg, and is a lot harder to review and edit.

    --
    William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA

  11. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

  12. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    ~kurt wrote:
    >Not everyone has access to high speed, or wants to pay $60/month if all they
    >have available for high speed is cable....

    Or, for a small fee, he could have a CDs shipped...

    -Beej

  13. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:57:03 -0500, Sambo wrote:

    > I wouldn't mind redownloading it if I had high speed and as if that
    > wasn't enough the line is so terribly noisy lately. I let the torrent
    > go , but while after 5 minutes I hoped it would only take 5 hours,
    > after about 40 minutes it looks only fractionally faster than plain
    > ~3KBs download. Why

    If you have dial up I'd buy the CD set from cheapbytes.
    It's only like about $10 ($8.99 +postage).

    http://shop.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070011465.html

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Recovering slack12.ISO DISK 1

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > If you have dial up I'd buy the CD set from cheapbytes.
    > It's only like about $10 ($8.99 +postage).

    Or you could try buying it from here:
    http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store
    that way you would be supporting the man who makes it.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

+ Reply to Thread