Upgrade? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Upgrade? - Slackware ; I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0? Thanks, Longfellow...

  1. Upgrade?

    I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using
    Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new
    version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?

    Thanks,

    Longfellow

  2. Re: Upgrade?

    Longfellow wrote:
    > I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using
    > Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new
    > version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?

    Newer programs and libraries (bugfixes, features, etc.). A little
    more "bloat" (to support those features). Slack 12 runs just fine on
    512MB RAM (I regularly use an Athlon2100 box w./ 512MB RAM); not sure
    about the CPU, though.

    If you have the space (or can buy a new drive), I'd recommend trying
    Slack 12 on a separate partition. That way, its easy to revert if
    things head south.

    - Daniel

  3. Re: Upgrade?

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:02:15 +0000, Longfellow wrote:

    > I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using
    > Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new
    > version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?

    12 is very nice And it's best to have a recent version IMO, not that I
    don't have a couple of oldies here.

    I just moved back to slack (I started with slack 3) after many years on rh
    and mandriva. I still have mandriva boxes here, but they are getting hard
    to customize for my main box, and a bit heavy.

    I haven't tried it on a smaller machine yet. I installed it on this one
    (AMD 2800 with 1gig ram and 320 gig drive) and it is going well. Took
    about 4.5 gig of HD on /, but not really heavy on ram even with KDE
    (unlike other distros). 512m would be heaps.

    Considering that I'm running mandriva 2007 on an old celeron with KDE I
    imagine slack would go well... Esp with xfce.

    --
    Tim Fairchild on Slackware 12.0.0
    Linux 2.6.23.8-smp AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+

  4. Re: Upgrade?

    On 2007-11-19, D Herring wrote:
    > Longfellow wrote:
    >> I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using
    >> Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new
    >> version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?

    > Newer programs and libraries (bugfixes, features, etc.). A little
    > more "bloat" (to support those features). Slack 12 runs just fine on
    > 512MB RAM (I regularly use an Athlon2100 box w./ 512MB RAM); not sure
    > about the CPU, though.

    Newer libraries is probably the most important thing, especially if I
    find some app I want to roll up from source. The only problem is that I
    use some Gnome software that wants Gnome installed; I use both Gnome and
    KDE apps on Fluxbox. And PV hasn't included Gnome since 10.0, I think.

    I don't think I want to try compiling Gnome from source, but I also
    don't know if solid binaries are available (didn't like Dropline...).
    So maybe that will be a determining factor, don't know.

    > If you have the space (or can buy a new drive), I'd recommend trying
    > Slack 12 on a separate partition. That way, its easy to revert if
    > things head south.
    >
    > - Daniel

    I used to keep several distros up just to play around with years ago,
    each in a 5 gig partition, and I've still got at least one... Mandrake
    10.0 I think. Now I just leave the machine up 24/7 behind an aDSL
    NATing router modem. So going up a version or two might be fun once
    more, tweaking everything just so... But grinding through bugs wasn't
    fun then and I doubt it would be now, especially Gnome.

    Good to know that 12.0 isn't bloat-ware, in any case.

    Thanks,

    Longfellow

  5. Re: Upgrade?

    On 2007-11-19, Tim Fairchild wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:02:15 +0000, Longfellow wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using
    >> Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new
    >> version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?

    > 12 is very nice And it's best to have a recent version IMO, not that I
    > don't have a couple of oldies here.

    Another testimonial; excellent!

    > I just moved back to slack (I started with slack 3) after many years on rh
    > and mandriva. I still have mandriva boxes here, but they are getting hard
    > to customize for my main box, and a bit heavy.

    I did Mandrake (back when) and contributed to a.o.l.m. Found myself
    booting to Slackware more and more (tried Debian but it was not fun to
    try to compile against, IIRC). GUI config apps are just horrible: one
    doesn't know what the thing is doing under the hood.

    > I haven't tried it on a smaller machine yet. I installed it on this one
    > (AMD 2800 with 1gig ram and 320 gig drive) and it is going well. Took
    > about 4.5 gig of HD on /, but not really heavy on ram even with KDE
    > (unlike other distros). 512m would be heaps.

    Good. I still run a couple of gig swap, just for safety sake, but 512
    is almost always enough.

    > Considering that I'm running mandriva 2007 on an old celeron with KDE I
    > imagine slack would go well... Esp with xfce.

    Fluxbox and SLang apps (mutt & slrn). Lot's of GUI stuff, though...

    Thanks,

    Longfellow

  6. Re: Upgrade?

    Longfellow wrote:

    > Newer libraries is probably the most important thing, especially if I
    > find some app I want to roll up from source. The only problem is that I
    > use some Gnome software that wants Gnome installed; I use both Gnome and
    > KDE apps on Fluxbox. And PV hasn't included Gnome since 10.0, I think.

    I thought most of the libraries were installed that would be necessary
    to run Gnome apps.

    - Kurt

  7. Re: Upgrade?

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:30:15 -0500, D Herring wrote:

    > If you have the space (or can buy a new drive), I'd recommend trying
    > Slack 12 on a separate partition. That way, its easy to revert if
    > things head south.

    ^^^^^

    Gee, some days it seems like I get blamed for everything :-(

  8. Re: Upgrade?

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:02:15 +0000, Longfellow wrote:

    > I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using
    > Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new
    > version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?

    At my left elbow I have a 600MHz PIII with 512MB running Slack12 (KDE
    and all) very nicely, thankyouverymuch.

    Slack used to be a slightly spartan choice of Linux distro. You can think
    of 12.0 as the luxury edition :-)

  9. Re: Upgrade?

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:12:18 +0000, Longfellow wrote:

    > On 2007-11-19, Tim Fairchild wrote:
    >> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:02:15 +0000, Longfellow wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM,
    >>> using Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting
    >>> up a new version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?

    >> 12 is very nice And it's best to have a recent version IMO, not
    >> that I don't have a couple of oldies here.

    > Another testimonial; excellent!

    It's been going well so far. I am migrating my files and apps (gradually)
    from a mandriva box in the other room, but I hope to have it all running
    as I want in a couple of weeks. There is quite a lot to move over and set
    up. I want to get the tv capture on here as well eventually, but that will
    waith til I get time. I have ffmpeg but still need to set up some other
    stuff and the storage etc.

    I first tried slack 12 on here on a small 8 gig drive, then I got the 320
    sata and installed that. I was having some issues with slack. I had to get
    OOo and something else and so I gave up and installed mandriva 2008 on the
    320 gig instead. This went really well on the laptops I have used it on,
    but not so great on this box. I was already not happy that it's a pain to
    tweak and compile kernels for, and then it wouldn't let me install the
    latest nvidia driver (which went fine with slack). after that failed the
    mouse cursor was invisible.

    That was it. I gave up, wiped it, and put slack on the 320 instead and all
    went well. nvidia driver, kernel compile. Even the install of the
    converted OOo rpms.

    Had to did up a couple of apps like bluefish, but at least slack still has
    jed. I like jed, thoug I use vim as well. Didn't have much choice on
    mandrive as they dropped some of the cli editors... Well, jed at least.

    Slack was the first distro I ever installed. That was slack 3 and it was
    the only distro that would run on the box at the time. the rh release
    couldn't handle the drive. I did move to rh later as I had some ppp issues
    with slack at one stage I think. But I was mostly using OS/2 at the time.
    Then I started using kde and went to mandriva as it had KDE included, but
    I also had slack installs here a there now and then. Just not the main
    desktop. I went to slack on the desktop now due to KDE as well. a distro
    with real kde. The mandriva kde has bee screwed around with a bit too
    much

    --
    Tim Fairchild on Slackware 12.0.0
    Linux 2.6.23.8-smp AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+

  10. Re: Upgrade?

    Longfellow wrote:
    > I'm running a 500mHz Celeron on an ASUS CUBX mobo with 512Mb RAM, using
    > Slackware 10.0/2.6.7. What benefit might I obtain from putting up a new
    > version of Slack, ie 11.0 or 12.0?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Longfellow

    No worries on your hardware setup. I have a box with almost the exact
    config.
    AMD KG-II 500 w/ 512Mb Ram.

    It works well enough for me. KDE is a bit slow, but I don't mind.

    Good Luck,

    Robert De Mars

  11. Re: Upgrade?

    On 2007-11-19, Tim Fairchild wrote:
    > It's been going well so far. I am migrating my files and apps (gradually)
    > from a mandriva box in the other room, but I hope to have it all running
    > as I want in a couple of weeks. There is quite a lot to move over and set
    > up. I want to get the tv capture on here as well eventually, but that will
    > waith til I get time. I have ffmpeg but still need to set up some other
    > stuff and the storage etc.

    You can find build scripts for ffmpeg and probably most of the others at
    http://slackbuilds.org - be sure to read the HOWTO there.

    > That was it. I gave up, wiped it, and put slack on the 320 instead and all
    > went well. nvidia driver, kernel compile. Even the install of the
    > converted OOo rpms.

    One of these solutions will be superior to doing that:
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12...penoffice.org/
    http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/12.0/openo...i586-1_rlw.tgz

    I wrote the script, and the package is built using that script, so you
    get basically the same thing either way - your call.

    > Had to did up a couple of apps like bluefish, but at least slack still has
    > jed. I like jed, thoug I use vim as well. Didn't have much choice on
    > mandrive as they dropped some of the cli editors... Well, jed at least.

    bluefish is available in both SlackBuilds.org and my repository.

    -RW

  12. Re: Upgrade?

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 16:49:14 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2007-11-19, Tim Fairchild wrote:
    >> It's been going well so far. I am migrating my files and apps
    >> (gradually) from a mandriva box in the other room, but I hope to have
    >> it all running as I want in a couple of weeks. There is quite a lot to
    >> move over and set up. I want to get the tv capture on here as well
    >> eventually, but that will waith til I get time. I have ffmpeg but still
    >> need to set up some other stuff and the storage etc.

    > You can find build scripts for ffmpeg and probably most of the others at
    > http://slackbuilds.org - be sure to read the HOWTO there.

    I found slackbuilds the other day and looking at things like tvtime etc. I
    will try these soon as I get some time. I have ffmpeg running which I
    built from the original source and I'll see how that goes.

    >> That was it. I gave up, wiped it, and put slack on the 320 instead and
    >> all went well. nvidia driver, kernel compile. Even the install of the
    >> converted OOo rpms.

    > One of these solutions will be superior to doing that:
    > http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12...penoffice.org/
    > http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/12.0/openo...i586-1_rlw.tgz
    >
    > I wrote the script, and the package is built using that script, so you
    > get basically the same thing either way - your call.

    I'm on a somewhat limitted connection as we are on a rural satellite
    service, so I didn't feel like another fairly big download with OOo which
    would chew into our limit. I already had the rpm version here so I tried
    that. Once we get shaped to 64k I will download the 2.3 build overnight
    and use instead. The version I am using is working, but I assume the slack
    build would be a better way to go. Plus it's the later version as I only
    had 2.2 here.

    >> Had to did up a couple of apps like bluefish, but at least slack still
    >> has jed. I like jed, thoug I use vim as well. Didn't have much choice
    >> on mandrive as they dropped some of the cli editors... Well, jed at
    >> least.

    > bluefish is available in both SlackBuilds.org and my repository.

    I'm not even sure where I got bluefish from. It's working anyway, but
    after finding slackbuilds I'll use that more often, thanks.

    tim

    --
    Tim Fairchild on Slackware 12.0.0
    Linux 2.6.23.8-smp AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+

+ Reply to Thread