free - Slackware

This is a discussion on free - Slackware ; Slackware current, smp (about 3 weeks old). Dell E521 Desktop 2.5gigs memory. But this problem has persisted for several updates on this machine, when the utime is over 4 days, `free` gets down to about 500megs. using fluxbox, a couple ...

  1. free

    Slackware current, smp (about 3 weeks old).
    Dell E521 Desktop
    2.5gigs memory.

    But this problem has persisted for several updates on this machine,
    when the utime is over 4 days, `free` gets down to about 500megs.

    using fluxbox, a couple of browsers (Opera, Firefox), and several
    xterms, but shutting down several of these does not free much memory.

    Now using KDE (should be enough memory for that?)

    --
    greymaus
    Just Another Grumpy Old Man

  2. Re: free

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:49:02 +0000, greymaus wrote:

    > Slackware current, smp (about 3 weeks old).
    > Dell E521 Desktop
    > 2.5gigs memory.
    >
    > But this problem has persisted for several updates on this machine,
    > when the utime is over 4 days, `free` gets down to about 500megs.

    Perfectly normal. Take a look at the "buffers/cache" number under the
    "free" column in the display. That amount of memory is actually free
    also, just buffered/cached, and ready for use. Don't worry about it.

  3. Re: free

    greymaus wrote:
    > when the utime is over 4 days, `free` gets down to about 500megs.

    RAM not in use would be RAM to no use. Please post the entire output from
    free. Most likely we will find that your RAM is being used as disk cache.
    This is not a problem, it will only speed up disk accesses. If any program
    needs your RAM it will get RAM and less will be used for cache.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread