Mount problems - Slackware

This is a discussion on Mount problems - Slackware ; Just a quick one I am using Slack V12 with 2.6 kernel as shipped. How do I mount a partition with read/write permission to user les. I have put the following line in fstab /dev/hda7 /mnt/vmware auto uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=022 0 0 ...

  1. Mount problems

    Just a quick one
    I am using Slack V12 with 2.6 kernel as shipped.
    How do I mount a partition with read/write permission to user les. I
    have put the following line in fstab
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/vmware auto
    uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=022 0 0
    but I get an error

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda7,
    missing codepage or other error
    dmesg | tail or so

    I have used les instead of 1000 but it make no differance, I have the
    correct permissions?
    Can someone let me know where I am going wrong.
    Thanks in advance.

    Lez

  2. Re: Mount problems

    Lez wrote:
    > How do I mount a partition with read/write permission to user les. I
    > have put the following line in fstab
    > /dev/hda7 /mnt/vmware auto uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=022 0 0
    > but I get an error
    >
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda7,
    > missing codepage or other error

    The uid, gid and umask options are only useful for some file systems.
    Other full featured file systems mount without those options and instead
    you use chown and chmod on files and directories on those file systems.

    The error message indicates that there is no such file system as you
    supposed it would be on /dev/hda7. What kind of file system did you expect
    that /dev/hda7 would contain?

    > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    > dmesg | tail or so

    Did you try that? Did you find any useful error message?

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Mount problems

    Thanks for the Henrik
    > The uid, gid and umask options are only useful for some file systems.
    > Other full featured file systems mount without those options and instead
    > you use chown and chmod on files and directories on those file systems.

    I see..
    So if I mount it normally I can read/write to this partion?
    If so I have missed something!!

    > The error message indicates that there is no such file system as you
    > supposed it would be on /dev/hda7. What kind of file system did you expect
    > that /dev/hda7 would contain?

    It is ext3 I can mount it with
    mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/vmware.

    > > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    > > dmesg | tail or so

    > Did you try that? Did you find any useful error message?

    I got the following.

    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel
    VMBlock warning: DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel

    Thanks
    Lez

  4. Re: Mount problems

    Lez wrote:

    > Thanks for the Henrik
    >> The uid, gid and umask options are only useful for some file systems.
    >> Other full featured file systems mount without those options and instead
    >> you use chown and chmod on files and directories on those file systems.

    > I see..
    > So if I mount it normally I can read/write to this partion?
    > If so I have missed something!!

    Yes, you can allways read and write as root and you can also read and
    write as other users as being the owner or a file or directory, or
    beloning to a group with access, or you could give all users access with
    chmod.

    >> > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg |
    >> > tail or so

    >> Did you try that? Did you find any useful error message?

    > I got the following.

    > DentryOpRevalidate: invalid args from kernel VMBlock warning:

    That could be a hardware problem, but the solution to your problem is to
    use chmod, chgrp or chown to give the directory to the user you want.
    Something like:

    chown -R les /mnt/wmware

    The above command should be done _after_ you mount the disk.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: Mount problems

    Lez wrote:
    > How do I mount a partition with read/write permission to user les. I
    > have put the following line in fstab
    > /dev/hda7 /mnt/vmware auto
    > uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=022 0 0
    > but I get an error

    Start with the basics and work up from there. As root, do a basic
    manual mount:

    mount -t filetype /dev/hda4 /mnt/vmware

    .....minus all the xtra junk. If that works, start adding options, one
    at a time. If it doesn't, work backwards to find your problem.

    nb

  6. Re: Mount problems

    Sorry I made a mistake.
    I was trying to mount the partition with read/write access.
    As you pointed out if it has the correct permissions I can mount it as
    root & have read/write access.
    Don't know what I was thinking, I was getting it mixed up with a dos
    partition, & you don't need to worry about such thing in linux.
    Again sorry, It mounts OK.

    Lez

+ Reply to Thread