font problem with Slack11 - Slackware

This is a discussion on font problem with Slack11 - Slackware ; Hi, In just installed Slack 11 on an old laptop (Compaq Armada 1130). Everything works fine, except X. After checking everything and reading multiple posts on the Net about this, and trying out advises etc., I still get the error ...

  1. font problem with Slack11

    Hi,

    In just installed Slack 11 on an old laptop (Compaq Armada 1130).
    Everything works fine, except X. After checking everything and reading
    multiple posts on the Net about this, and trying out advises etc., I
    still get the error "could not open default font 'fixed'". In
    /etc/X11R6/xorg.conf everything is as should, as far as I know.
    Any (new) suggestions?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: font problem with Slack11

    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In just installed Slack 11 on an old laptop (Compaq Armada 1130).
    > Everything works fine, except X. After checking everything and reading
    > multiple posts on the Net about this, and trying out advises etc., I
    > still get the error "could not open default font 'fixed'". In
    > /etc/X11R6/xorg.conf everything is as should, as far as I know.
    > Any (new) suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    BTW, I reinstalled X, fonts-misc and fonts-scale.

  3. Re: font problem with Slack11

    Ok, removed all of X and did a fresh install of it. Then, after creating
    xorg.conf and a major edit of it, I have X working. Still fuzzy image,
    but better than nothing.

  4. Re: font problem with Slack11

    On 2007-11-18, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In just installed Slack 11 on an old laptop (Compaq Armada 1130).
    > Everything works fine, except X. After checking everything and reading
    > multiple posts on the Net about this, and trying out advises etc., I
    > still get the error "could not open default font 'fixed'". In
    > /etc/X11R6/xorg.conf everything is as should, as far as I know.
    > Any (new) suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I had the same error message and it kept X from booting. Turned out I
    needed:

    ..../slackware/l/font-cursor-misc-1.0.0-noarch-2.tgz

    (for 12.0)

    Hope this helps.

    I think the reason you haven't got any responses is that this
    information is in a contemporary thread with an obviously
    relevant subject.

    Real Slackers are anything but.

    Tom

  5. Re: font problem with Slack11

    On 2007-11-19, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-11-18, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> In just installed Slack 11 on an old laptop (Compaq Armada 1130).
    >> Everything works fine, except X. After checking everything and reading
    >> multiple posts on the Net about this, and trying out advises etc., I
    >> still get the error "could not open default font 'fixed'". In
    >> /etc/X11R6/xorg.conf everything is as should, as far as I know.
    >> Any (new) suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I had the same error message and it kept X from booting. Turned out I
    > needed:
    >
    > .../slackware/l/font-cursor-misc-1.0.0-noarch-2.tgz

    Sorry. That was in "x", not "l". For some reason it was missing
    from the CD. The .txt and .asc files were there, but not the .tgz.

    Tom

  6. Re: font problem with Slack11

    On 2007-11-19, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-11-19, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-18, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> In just installed Slack 11 on an old laptop (Compaq Armada 1130).
    >>> Everything works fine, except X. After checking everything and reading
    >>> multiple posts on the Net about this, and trying out advises etc., I
    >>> still get the error "could not open default font 'fixed'". In
    >>> /etc/X11R6/xorg.conf everything is as should, as far as I know.
    >>> Any (new) suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> I had the same error message and it kept X from booting. Turned out I
    >> needed:
    >>
    >> .../slackware/l/font-cursor-misc-1.0.0-noarch-2.tgz

    > Sorry. That was in "x", not "l". For some reason it was missing
    > from the CD. The .txt and .asc files were there, but not the .tgz.

    Then you got a bad iso image. Either someone created the ISO images
    before the mirror was finished syncing or their tree was incomplete
    for some other reason. Either way, this calls into question the
    integrity of the entire ISO. In the future, either purchase the official
    cd set or be sure to verify checksums on the ISO images.

    -RW

  7. Re: font problem with Slack11

    On 2007-11-19, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-11-18, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> In just installed Slack 11 on an old laptop (Compaq Armada 1130).
    >> Everything works fine, except X. After checking everything and reading
    >> multiple posts on the Net about this, and trying out advises etc., I
    >> still get the error "could not open default font 'fixed'". In
    >> /etc/X11R6/xorg.conf everything is as should, as far as I know.
    >> Any (new) suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > I had the same error message and it kept X from booting. Turned out I
    > needed:
    >
    > .../slackware/l/font-cursor-misc-1.0.0-noarch-2.tgz
    >
    > (for 12.0)

    Except the OP is clearly on Slackware 11.0, so this is not at all what
    he/she needs to install.

    OP: be sure you have install the entire x/ series of packages and that
    error should go away.

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > I think the reason you haven't got any responses is that this
    > information is in a contemporary thread with an obviously
    > relevant subject.
    >
    > Real Slackers are anything but.

    I'm not sure if you're attempting to be sarcastic, but...
    I think I'll just leave this alone. Nothing good can come of it.

    -RW

+ Reply to Thread