install just hangs... - Slackware

This is a discussion on install just hangs... - Slackware ; hi all, i need a few trouble-shooting tips... i'm trying to install slack 12 on my new work PC. i have a slackware 12 dvd which boots fine on an older laptop i have. it gets to a prompt where ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. install just hangs...

    hi all,

    i need a few trouble-shooting tips... i'm trying to install slack 12 on my
    new work PC. i have a slackware 12 dvd which boots fine on an older laptop
    i have. it gets to a prompt where i can run setup. (i haven't tried
    further, because i don't actually want to install slackware on that
    laptop.)

    when i try booting this new machine with the dvd, however, it loads the
    kernel, starts booting and then at some point just stops. no more messages
    are printed to the screen, and there are no indications of any other
    activity (i don't hear the dvd spin, for example).

    i tried two or three times, and every time it stops at the same point. the
    last few messages are about acpi, which IIRC sometimes causes problems. so
    i tried again with acpi=off, but now booting stopped at some other point
    (the messages at that point didn't make much sense to me, and i didn't
    remember them...)

    i tried booting a suse 10.1 dvd, which also worked fine. (didn't ran the
    install, but the cd booted. when i get back to work on tuesday, i plan to
    try a slackware 11 dvd, and see if that works. i'm also going to burd a
    slack 12 install cd, and see if i get further with that one, or if it also
    hangs at the same point.

    still, i'm hoping some of you may have a few more trouble-shooting tips to
    offer, a few things i can try to get slack 12 to boot, or figure out why
    it's not booting...

    TIA

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  2. Re: install just hangs...

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > i need a few trouble-shooting tips... i'm trying to install slack
    > 12 on my new work PC. i have a slackware 12 dvd which boots fine
    > on an older laptop i have. it gets to a prompt where i can run
    > setup. (i haven't tried further, because i don't actually want to
    > install slackware on that laptop.)
    >
    > when i try booting this new machine with the dvd, however, it
    > loads the kernel, starts booting and then at some point just
    > stops. no more messages are printed to the screen, and there are
    > no indications of any other activity (i don't hear the dvd spin,
    > for example).

    Test the DVD against the md5sum.txt file on it. Load it for
    reading, change the directory to the CD, and execute "md5sum -c
    md5sum.txt". If it fails you have found the problem.

    Try the download section.

  3. Re: install just hangs...

    Richard James wrote:
    > Joost Kremers wrote:
    >
    >> still, i'm hoping some of you may have a few more trouble-shooting tips to
    >> offer, a few things i can try to get slack 12 to boot, or figure out why
    >> it's not booting...

    > In easiest first order
    > a) try booting a different kernel than the default off that DVD

    did that, no go.

    > b) burn a new disk,

    as i said, i'm in the process of doing that. (won't be able to retry
    installing until tuesday.)

    > or check that your disk is not corrupt

    as i said, the disk boots fine on another computer, which isn't decisive
    proof, but it is suggestive.

    > c) boot off an older Slackware disk and use that to install. Just swap disks
    > after it boots.

    i'll try that on tuesday.

    > d) get a new computer

    not an option.

    > e) move to Ubuntu

    not an option.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  4. Re: install just hangs...

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > hi all,
    >
    > i need a few trouble-shooting tips... i'm trying to install slack 12 on
    > my new work PC. i have a slackware 12 dvd which boots fine on an older
    > laptop i have. it gets to a prompt where i can run setup. (i haven't
    > tried further, because i don't actually want to install slackware on
    > that laptop.)
    >
    > when i try booting this new machine with the dvd, however, it loads the
    > kernel, starts booting and then at some point just stops. no more
    > messages are printed to the screen, and there are no indications of any
    > other activity (i don't hear the dvd spin, for example).
    >
    > i tried two or three times, and every time it stops at the same point.
    > the last few messages are about acpi, which IIRC sometimes causes
    > problems. so i tried again with acpi=off, but now booting stopped at
    > some other point (the messages at that point didn't make much sense to
    > me, and i didn't remember them...)
    >
    > i tried booting a suse 10.1 dvd, which also worked fine. (didn't ran the
    > install, but the cd booted. when i get back to work on tuesday, i plan
    > to try a slackware 11 dvd, and see if that works. i'm also going to burd
    > a slack 12 install cd, and see if i get further with that one, or if it
    > also hangs at the same point.
    >
    > still, i'm hoping some of you may have a few more trouble-shooting tips
    > to offer, a few things i can try to get slack 12 to boot, or figure out
    > why it's not booting...
    >
    > TIA

    I'd a similar confrontation while trying to setup Slackware-12 from a DVD
    on my Dell laptop two days back. I installed Slackware from that same
    DVD on two different desktop machines without so much as a hitch.
    However, on the the laptop, it would either not boot at all, boot and
    hang on network card probing, or hang somewhere in the middle of
    installation following some errors about corrupted packages.

    Luckily, I had a copy of the ISO on the NTFS partition on the same disk.
    I used the slackware-11 CD I had to boot the setup, and read the packages
    from the NTFS mount point.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  5. Re: install just hangs...

    Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:
    > I'd a similar confrontation while trying to setup Slackware-12 from a DVD
    > on my Dell laptop two days back. I installed Slackware from that same
    > DVD on two different desktop machines without so much as a hitch.
    > However, on the the laptop, it would either not boot at all, boot and
    > hang on network card probing, or hang somewhere in the middle of
    > installation following some errors about corrupted packages.

    so it's not entirely unprecedented, then, having a dvd that reads fine on
    one machine and bad on another. i'm really hoping that's it. ;-)

    > Luckily, I had a copy of the ISO on the NTFS partition on the same disk.
    > I used the slackware-11 CD I had to boot the setup, and read the packages
    > from the NTFS mount point.

    i'll try with the slack 12 cd i burnt first, and if that fails too the
    slack 11 cd. hopefully one of them will boot.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  6. Re: install just hangs...

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:09:39 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > when i try booting this new machine with the dvd, however, it loads the
    > kernel, starts booting and then at some point just stops. no more messages
    > are printed to the screen, and there are no indications of any other
    > activity (i don't hear the dvd spin, for example).

    You've been around long enough to look for this, Joost (all one line for
    the URLs):

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...a681c1e47cf1e0

    or this more recent thread:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...830bc7b36f13e2

    Did they help any?

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  7. Re: install just hangs...

    Chick Tower wrote:
    > You've been around long enough to look for this, Joost (all one line for
    > the URLs):

    i know. ;-)

    > Did they help any?

    not really, because they are about not being able to boot at all, which
    usually has to do with older hardware not understanding the boot mechanism
    on newer slackware cd's/dvd's. this machine, however, is a brand-new
    machine (sorry for not mentioning that), and the dvd does in fact
    boot. it's just that after loading the kernel, at some point the kernel
    just stops spitting out boot messages, and nothing more happens...

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  8. Re: install just hangs...

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > so it's not entirely unprecedented, then, having a dvd that reads fine
    > on one machine and bad on another. i'm really hoping that's it. ;-)

    Not at all. :-) I've been bitten by this many times before.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  9. Re: install just hangs...

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:37:02 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > so it's not entirely unprecedented, then, having a dvd that reads fine on
    > one machine and bad on another.

    Is this the blocksize change thing from 4 in 11.0 to 32 in 12.0? That got
    discussed here in detail a few weeks back, didn't it?

    And since misery loves company, I shall tell you that I, too, have a
    Slack12.0 DVD that will boot on some, but not all, of my machines.

  10. Re: install just hangs...

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    > still, i'm hoping some of you may have a few more trouble-shooting tips to
    > offer, a few things i can try to get slack 12 to boot, or figure out why
    > it's not booting...

    In easiest first order
    a) try booting a different kernel than the default off that DVD
    b) burn a new disk, or check that your disk is not corrupt
    c) boot off an older Slackware disk and use that to install. Just swap disks
    after it boots.
    d) get a new computer
    e) move to Ubuntu

    Richard James

  11. Re: install just hangs...

    On 17 Nov 2007 21:09:54 +0100
    Mark South wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:37:02 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:
    >
    > > so it's not entirely unprecedented, then, having a dvd that reads fine on
    > > one machine and bad on another.

    > And since misery loves company, I shall tell you that I, too, have a
    > Slack12.0 DVD that will boot on some, but not all, of my machines.

    And so do I :-) I didn't want to bother with network setup and just
    burnt an installation CD with the majority of packages I need. It
    booted fine on the machine that failed to boot from the DVD. The
    rest of the packages were installed later.

    --
    Mikhail

  12. Re: install just hangs...

    Joost Kremers wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > not really, because they are about not being able to boot at all,
    > which usually has to do with older hardware not understanding the
    > boot mechanism on newer slackware cd's/dvd's. this machine,
    > however, is a brand-new machine (sorry for not mentioning that),
    > and the dvd does in fact boot. it's just that after loading the
    > kernel, at some point the kernel just stops spitting out boot
    > messages, and nothing more happens...

    Just make sure you run the md5chk -c command on the system that is
    having problems.

    Try the download section.

  13. Re: install just hangs...

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > so it's not entirely unprecedented, then, having a dvd that reads fine on
    > one machine and bad on another. i'm really hoping that's it. ;-)

    Yeah, it's entirely possible. In fact, I'm kinda wondering if the whole
    Slack 12 CD release isn't a bit buggy. I've had no problems with the
    1st two Slack 12 CD iso's I burned from download, but my official boxed
    set has been a real pain. One machine took 5 attemps before the CD
    player would even see the no. 1 disc. Finally, after full install, it
    won't mount the "extras" disc, again becase "no medium found". This
    same box has no probs mounting other CDs, audio or other. I think Slack
    Inc needs a new burner.

    nb

  14. Re: install just hangs...

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Test the DVD against the md5sum.txt file on it.

    it checks out fine.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  15. Re: install just hangs...

    notbob wrote:
    > Joost Kremers wrote:
    >> so it's not entirely unprecedented, then, having a dvd that reads fine on
    >> one machine and bad on another. i'm really hoping that's it. ;-)

    > Yeah, it's entirely possible.

    if it really is a problem with reading the dvd, of course. the kernel does
    load, and it starts initialising, but then at some point it just
    stops. there's no dvd activity at that point, however...

    anyways, i'll just have to wait and see whether i can boot the slack cd i
    burnt, or otherwise slack 11 or zenwalk. if they all fail, i'm gonna
    panic... :-/

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  16. Re: install just hangs...

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:37:02 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:
    >
    >> so it's not entirely unprecedented, then, having a dvd that reads fine on
    >> one machine and bad on another.

    > Is this the blocksize change thing from 4 in 11.0 to 32 in 12.0? That got
    > discussed here in detail a few weeks back, didn't it?

    i can't seem to find that thread. mind you, this is a brand-new machine, so
    i wouldn't expect any problem with booting the dvd unless the dvd itself is
    corrupt, which it doesn't seem to be.

    plus, the boot process starts, it just hangs at some point during kernel
    initialisation.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  17. Re: install just hangs...

    On 2007-11-17, Joost Kremers wrote:
    > Chick Tower wrote:
    >> You've been around long enough to look for this, Joost (all one line for
    >> the URLs):

    > i know. ;-)
    >
    >> Did they help any?

    > not really, because they are about not being able to boot at all, which
    > usually has to do with older hardware not understanding the boot mechanism
    > on newer slackware cd's/dvd's. this machine, however, is a brand-new
    > machine (sorry for not mentioning that), and the dvd does in fact
    > boot. it's just that after loading the kernel, at some point the kernel
    > just stops spitting out boot messages, and nothing more happens...

    Well, if you can get the 11.0 iso to boot (use the test26.s kernel), you can
    do a makeshift network install if you have the 12.0 package tree exported
    via NFS on another box.

    Assuming there's plenty of RAM in the box, once you have the installer
    booted and you log in as root, install the kernel-modules package for the
    test26.s kernel, module-init-tools, and dhcpcd from the ISO (yes, all of
    these will be installed to ram as part of the installer)
    Then run depmod -a, load the module for your NIC, run dhcpcd
    and go from there... :-)

    -RW

  18. Re: install just hangs...

    On Nov 16, 4:09 pm, Joost Kremers wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > i need a few trouble-shooting tips... i'm trying to install slack 12 on my
    > new work PC. i have a slackware 12 dvd which boots fine on an older laptop
    > i have. it gets to a prompt where i can run setup. (i haven't tried
    > further, because i don't actually want to install slackware on that
    > laptop.)
    >
    > when i try booting this new machine with the dvd, however, it loads the
    > kernel, starts booting and then at some point just stops. no more messages
    > are printed to the screen, and there are no indications of any other
    > activity (i don't hear the dvd spin, for example).
    >
    > i tried two or three times, and every time it stops at the same point. the
    > last few messages are about acpi, which IIRC sometimes causes problems. so
    > i tried again with acpi=off, but now booting stopped at some other point
    > (the messages at that point didn't make much sense to me, and i didn't
    > remember them...)
    >
    > i tried booting a suse 10.1 dvd, which also worked fine. (didn't ran the
    > install, but the cd booted. when i get back to work on tuesday, i plan to
    > try a slackware 11 dvd, and see if that works. i'm also going to burd a
    > slack 12 install cd, and see if i get further with that one, or if it also
    > hangs at the same point.
    >
    > still, i'm hoping some of you may have a few more trouble-shooting tips to
    > offer, a few things i can try to get slack 12 to boot, or figure out why
    > it's not booting...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Joost Kremers joostkrem...@yahoo.com
    > Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    > EN:SiS(9)

    Hi,

    It's been awhile since I posted to aols.

    Joost, you could do a ftp install using the lmo-installer-0.2.iso.

    http://www.live-modules.org/download....php?subcat=50

    'Slackware(R) Network Installer that is forked from the Tukaani
    installer with kernel 2.6.22.10-qx4. This installer has the ability to
    install Slackware(R) via ftp from a Slackware(R) official mirror or a
    custom mirror.'

    If you have your network setup then this should be a good option for
    you.

    The above link and many others come are listed in the LQ-wiki;

    http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...21.27.27.27.22

  19. Re: install just hangs...

    onebuck wrote:
    > Joost, you could do a ftp install using the lmo-installer-0.2.iso.
    >
    > http://www.live-modules.org/download....php?subcat=50
    >
    > 'Slackware(R) Network Installer that is forked from the Tukaani
    > installer with kernel 2.6.22.10-qx4. This installer has the ability to
    > install Slackware(R) via ftp from a Slackware(R) official mirror or a
    > custom mirror.'
    >
    > If you have your network setup then this should be a good option for
    > you.
    >
    > The above link and many others come are listed in the LQ-wiki;
    >
    > http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...21.27.27.27.22

    Both projects are very interesting. I think some people, especially
    on slow links, need some sort of ftp/http install.

    I have tried both and I couldn't get them to work.

    The Tukaani installer won't format the parttion properly and therefore
    I can't go any further.

    The lmo installer just loads a blank page, whether I select the
    standard
    or the safe mode install.

    Has anybody tried any of them or willing to try them?

    I used to be a Debian user. I liked the debootstrap package and it
    would
    be nice to have something similar on Slackware.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  20. Re: install just hangs...

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > still, i'm hoping some of you may have a few more trouble-shooting tips to
    > offer, a few things i can try to get slack 12 to boot, or figure out why
    > it's not booting...

    ok, here are the results of today's installation attempts:

    slackware 12.0: hugesmp.s stops booting when messages about ACPI appear. if
    i boot the hugesmp.s kernel with acpi=off, booting stops when messages
    about the scheduler appear.

    this is consistent across boots, and with two different media. i have a
    slack 12 dvd and a slack 12 cd, and they both show the same effect, booting
    always stops at the same point.

    i've also booted the huge.s kernel, but didn't get any further with
    it. (besides, there's a core 2 duo in that machine, so i think having smp
    would be good.)

    zenwalk 4.8: doesn't boot. zenwalk doesn't show boot messages, so i don't
    know where it stops, i just know it does.

    slackware 11.0: stops booting when the message "probing for usb devices"
    appears. (it says "this may take a few minutes", but i've let it run for a
    bit longer than that. nothing happens. note that the dvd should be fine,
    i've used it to install slack 11 on another machine.)

    if i boot 11.0 with the option nousb, i get to a login prompt. i've been
    able to partition the hard drive, and i would probably be able to install
    slackware, even 12.0, this way, but i fear that when i do, it won't boot
    either...

    so. i'll go out on a limb and say that it's *not* due to bad install
    media. but other than that, it doesn't make any sense to me. the point
    where boot messages stop is predictable, but different for each distro
    version, and depends on boot options.

    anyone have a clue what might be wrong? or how i might go about
    trouble-shooting this one? or even where i might ask next?