Basic Sound Configuration - Slackware

This is a discussion on Basic Sound Configuration - Slackware ; I need to get sound configured here and have no clue as to where to start. I've installed the alsa-utils package and been reading on http://www.alsa-project.org and http://lau.linuxaudio.org There's so much docuentation that I don't know where to start! I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119

  1. Basic Sound Configuration

    I need to get sound configured here and have no clue as to
    where to start.

    I've installed the alsa-utils package and been reading on
    http://www.alsa-project.org and
    http://lau.linuxaudio.org

    There's so much docuentation that I don't know where to
    start!

    I have an IDE CDRW that I can mount and read CDs on.

    Seems like being able to play my music CDs would be
    a reasonable first goal.

    I have two speakers set up, although there is only
    one input jack and my computer has two audio sockets.
    I simply picked one and plugged them in there.

    I ran aplay -l and it returned:

    aplay: device_list:204: no soundcards found...

    I think I need to install the right module(s) but there
    are so many in the ../kernel/sound/ directory.

    A kickstart would be appreciated,

    Tom

  2. Re: Basic Sound Configuration

    On 2007-11-16, Tom N wrote:
    > I need to get sound configured here and have no clue as to
    > where to start.
    >
    > I've installed the alsa-utils package and been reading on
    > http://www.alsa-project.org and
    > http://lau.linuxaudio.org
    >
    > There's so much docuentation that I don't know where to
    > start!
    >

    > I have an IDE CDRW that I can mount and read CDs on.
    >
    > Seems like being able to play my music CDs would be
    > a reasonable first goal.
    >
    > I have two speakers set up, although there is only
    > one input jack and my computer has two audio sockets.
    > I simply picked one and plugged them in there.
    >
    > I ran aplay -l and it returned:
    >
    > aplay: device_list:204: no soundcards found...
    >
    > I think I need to install the right module(s) but there
    > are so many in the ../kernel/sound/ directory.
    >
    > A kickstart would be appreciated,
    >
    > Tom

    Okay. I reread the recent 12.0 sound thread and ran alsaconf.
    It found my card and told me that it was configured
    It loaded a bunch of modules and created a sound file in
    /etc/modules.d.

    Now what?

    Tom

  3. Re: Basic Sound Configuration

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:51:09 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > Okay. I reread the recent 12.0 sound thread and ran alsaconf. It found
    > my card and told me that it was configured It loaded a bunch of
    > modules and created a sound file in /etc/modules.d.

    /etc/asound.state is the file your mixer setting make (and stored with
    alsactl) and is referenced on boot.

    Sure you got the hardware wired right? Typically the sound jack is a
    1/8" stereo minijack and the output is a line level signal - IOW, you'll
    hear nothing unless that signal is amplified. You can either use PC
    speakers (very poor sound quality) or use a converter connector that
    changes the 1/8" minijack line into two RCA plugs that can go into the
    back of a amplifier (MUCH better sound). An old stereo amp picked up at a
    yard sale or at a flea market is perfect. Wire the speakers to the
    amplifier, of course.

    I think you are getting confused on your audio jacks. There are
    typically three jacks:

    Line In
    Line Out (You want this one)
    Mike In

    You can get that conversion adaptor at Radio Shack. Make sure you get
    the STEREO minjack adapter as they also carry a 1/8" mono line adaptor.

    Also you need to run three apps with alsa

    alsaconf
    alsamixer (adjust settings)
    alsactl store 0 (stores the setting you just set with alsa mixer.

    See the man pages for these apps for more detail.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: Basic Sound Configuration

    On 2007-11-16, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:51:09 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> Okay. I reread the recent 12.0 sound thread and ran alsaconf. It found
    >> my card and told me that it was configured It loaded a bunch of
    >> modules and created a sound file in /etc/modules.d.

    > /etc/asound.state is the file your mixer setting make (and stored with
    > alsactl) and is referenced on boot.

    Hi Ron. I have no such file. When I run alsamixer (with no args) I
    get this:

    (all this running as root)

    ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default
    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

    I tried "cat /etc/inittab > /dev/audio (a symbolic link to /dev/audio0)
    per Alan Hicks' directions, and got nothing.

    I rebooted and saw this in the bootup message:

    ALSA warning: No mixer settings found in /etc/asound.state.
    Sound may be muted. Use 'alsamixer' to unmute your sound card,
    and then 'alsactl store' to save the default ALSA mixer settings
    to be loaded at boot. Loading OSS compatibility modules for ALSA.

    > Sure you got the hardware wired right?

    It is now. (After I read this below).

    > Typically the sound jack is a
    > 1/8" stereo minijack and the output is a line level signal - IOW, you'll
    > hear nothing unless that signal is amplified. You can either use PC
    > speakers (very poor sound quality) or use a converter connector that
    > changes the 1/8" minijack line into two RCA plugs that can go into the
    > back of a amplifier (MUCH better sound). An old stereo amp picked up at a
    > yard sale or at a flea market is perfect. Wire the speakers to the
    > amplifier, of course.
    >
    > I think you are getting confused on your audio jacks. There are
    > typically three jacks:
    >
    > Line In
    > Line Out (You want this one)
    > Mike In
    >
    > You can get that conversion adaptor at Radio Shack. Make sure you get
    > the STEREO minjack adapter as they also carry a 1/8" mono line adaptor.

    Good idea, but let's get these micky mouse speakers working first,
    okay?

    > Also you need to run three apps with alsa
    >
    > alsaconf
    > alsamixer (adjust settings)
    > alsactl store 0 (stores the setting you just set with alsa mixer.
    >
    > See the man pages for these apps for more detail.

    Been reading them and experimenting cautiously.

    Here's the sound modules that are loaded now:

    snd_seq_dummy 2692 0
    snd_seq_oss 28032 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 5888 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 42576 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 6540 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 38432 0
    snd_mixer_oss 13824 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_intel8x0 28060 0
    snd_ac97_codec 96292 1 snd_intel8x0
    ac97_bus 2048 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm 65160 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
    snd_timer 17540 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd 41956 9 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
    soundcore 5728 1 snd
    snd_page_alloc 7432 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

    I am stumped for the nonce, Ron. Pretty sure basic sound is configured
    correctly and the volume is turned down, but the alsamixer app won't
    run.

    Got any more ideas?

    Thanks much,

    Tom

  5. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript

    On 2007-11-16, Tom N wrote:
> [...]

    > snd_seq_dummy 2692 0
    > snd_seq_oss 28032 0
    > snd_seq_midi_event 5888 1 snd_seq_oss
    > snd_seq 42576 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    > snd_seq_device 6540 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    > snd_pcm_oss 38432 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 13824 1 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_intel8x0 28060 0
    > snd_ac97_codec 96292 1 snd_intel8x0
    > ac97_bus 2048 1 snd_ac97_codec
    > snd_pcm 65160 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
    > snd_timer 17540 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    > snd 41956 9 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
    > soundcore 5728 1 snd
    > snd_page_alloc 7432 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    >
    > I am stumped for the nonce, Ron. Pretty sure basic sound is configured
    > correctly and the volume is turned down, but the alsamixer app won't

    Turns out I needed to install the alsa-libs, which I did. Ran alsa mixer
    and turned on first channel and gave it a little volume and ran alsactl restore 0.
    Rebooted and the warning messages are gone.

    Ran alsaconf again and checked the mixer and readjusted the volume down so
    that only a little green is showimg and ran alsactl store 0 again.

    Didn't hear a sound during this whole process.

    Catting a file to /dev/audio still isn't producing a sound.

    Heading back to the web to read some more on basic sound.

    Tom

  6. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-16, Tom N wrote:
> [...]

    >> soundcore 5728 1 snd
    >> snd_page_alloc 7432 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    >>
    >> I am stumped for the nonce, Ron. Pretty sure basic sound is configured
    >> correctly and the volume is turned down, but the alsamixer app won't
    >> run.
    >>
    >> Got any more ideas?
    >>

    > Turns out I needed to install the alsa-libs, which I did. Ran alsa mixer
    > and turned on first channel and gave it a little volume and ran alsactl restore 0.
    > Rebooted and the warning messages are gone.
    >
    > Ran alsaconf again and checked the mixer and readjusted the volume down so
    > that only a little green is showimg and ran alsactl store 0 again.
    >
    > Didn't hear a sound during this whole process.
    >
    > Catting a file to /dev/audio still isn't producing a sound.
    >
    > Heading back to the web to read some more on basic sound.

    http://lau.linuxaudio.org/Sound-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.5

    Tells me to 'cat /dev/sndstat' and if the result is
    "no such device", which it was, (the device file is there) that
    either my sounddriver is not loaded or it is not linked
    to the kernel.

    Yet alsaconf and alsamixer and alsactl report no problems at all.
    All the modules are apparently there. I have the files in
    /etc now....

    I'll keep reading. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd
    love to hear them.

    Tom

  7. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript

    Tom N wrote:

    > Didn't hear a sound during this whole process.
    >
    > Catting a file to /dev/audio still isn't producing a sound.
    >
    > Heading back to the web to read some more on basic sound.

    What's the story on the hardware? Have you ever heard anything from
    this computer? Is the sound card part of the motherboard or a pci sound
    card? If a pci sound card, did you wire the CD player to the sound
    card? Do you get anything from the earphone plug in the front of the CD
    player (cheapo earphones help debug hardware)? Are you sure you're
    plugged into the right sound card socket? Get down there with a flash
    light and magnifying glass, if that's what it takes. Make sure this
    hardware functions before chasing software ghosts.

    BTW, please trim your posts. You're wearing out my scroll wheel.

    nb

  8. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:04:02 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > http://lau.linuxaudio.org/Sound-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.5

    > Tells me to 'cat /dev/sndstat' and if the result is "no such device",
    > which it was, (the device file is there) that either my sounddriver is not
    > loaded or it is not linked to the kernel.

    > Yet alsaconf and alsamixer and alsactl report no problems at all. All the
    > modules are apparently there. I have the files in /etc now....

    > I'll keep reading. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

    As I said the last step is

    alsactl store 0

    This stores the settings (for alsa device 0) you just set with
    alsamixer. Are you sure you turned up the master volume and it is not
    muted? Also, if you use a CD player you need to hard wire the CDROM to
    the appropriate socket on the mobo.

    The CD test approach is too complicated for right now. I get a mp3
    file and start it running when I'm trying to solve wiring problems and
    literally try all the jacks until I hit the right socket as another said
    you need to be sure it's wired right first.

    Also you need to be testing this is an enviroment where you are sure all
    the components are set up properly. There are not many but they all have
    little "gotcha's".

    So start with basics. Report under what conditions you are trying a
    sound file (CLI, KDE, etc). Be sure you have the right jacks. Make sure
    the sound is not muted.

    BTW, I can report that the I810 chipset does indeed work and actually
    has a pretty decent sound for an onboard audio chip.

    PS: Radio Shack has the connectors you need and all are less than $10.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  9. Re: Basic Sound Configuration

    Tom N says:

    >I need to get sound configured here and have no clue as to
    >where to start.

    How about taking your head out of your ass? That's a good start,
    usually, for little assholes like you.

    >I've installed the alsa-utils package and been reading on
    >http://www.alsa-project.org and
    >http://lau.linuxaudio.org

    >There's so much docuentation that I don't know where to
    >start!

    Oh, no! What are we going to do?

    The Perils of Pauline!

    Bugger off.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript

    Tom N wrote:

    > Didn't hear a sound during this whole process.

    > Catting a file to /dev/audio still isn't producing a sound.

    > Heading back to the web to read some more on basic sound.

    10 year olds with windoze wouldn't have a problem with it.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:24:14 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > Turns out I needed to install the alsa-libs, which I did. Ran alsa mixer
    > and turned on first channel and gave it a little volume and ran alsactl
    > restore 0. Rebooted and the warning messages are gone.
    >
    > Ran alsaconf again and checked the mixer and readjusted the volume down
    > so that only a little green is showimg and ran alsactl store 0 again.
    >
    > Didn't hear a sound during this whole process.

    I don't think you're going to get much sound if you've turned the control
    down as far as you are inferring. How much, exactly, is "a little
    green?" When I ran alsaconfig, the app auto-ran alsamixer and adjusted
    the master volume one detent into the red, which by the way is the same
    method I used to controll the record volume back in the day when I
    recorded cassette music tapes from LP. So I left the controls just so.

    You say you are using "Mickey Mouse" speakers. Do they have their own
    amplified power source? Sound cards do a really poor job of power
    amplification, if they do it at all. What kind of sound card are you
    using? From a previous post it appears that you are using an on-board
    AC97 chip, the same one I have on my MB. I got that working allright,
    but decided to put a decent sound card in anyway. The AC97 on my system
    has line in, line out, and mic in - no power amp.

  12. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript

    Hi Notbob.
    On 2007-11-16, notbob wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> Didn't hear a sound during this whole process.
    >>
    >> Catting a file to /dev/audio still isn't producing a sound.
    >>
    >> Heading back to the web to read some more on basic sound.

    > What's the story on the hardware?

    Basic.

    > Have you ever heard anything from
    > this computer?

    Just static from the speakers when I plug them in or
    move the sound knob.

    > Is the sound card part of the motherboard or a pci sound
    > card?

    Part of the motherboard.

    > If a pci sound card, did you wire the CD player to the sound
    > card? Do you get anything from the earphone plug in the front of the CD
    > player (cheapo earphones help debug hardware)?

    No earphone jacks that I know of. There are two jacks in the back
    with (((((o)))) (something like that) beside them. One may be for
    earphones.

    > Are you sure you're
    > plugged into the right sound card socket?

    Not sure what you mean by that, but I am plugged into the right jack
    with the speakers.

    >Get down there with a flash
    > light and magnifying glass, if that's what it takes. Make sure this
    > hardware functions before chasing software ghosts.

    I think it is software. But I'll get that magnifying glass and flashlight
    and make sure.

    > BTW, please trim your posts. You're wearing out my scroll wheel.
    >
    > nb

    I was wondering about that. Sorry.

    Thanks for the tips,

    Tom

  13. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript

    On 2007-11-16, Charlie Siegrist wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:24:14 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> Turns out I needed to install the alsa-libs, which I did. Ran alsa mixer
    >> and turned on first channel and gave it a little volume and ran alsactl
    >> restore 0. Rebooted and the warning messages are gone.
    >>
    >> Ran alsaconf again and checked the mixer and readjusted the volume down
    >> so that only a little green is showimg and ran alsactl store 0 again.
    >>
    >> Didn't hear a sound during this whole process.

    > I don't think you're going to get much sound if you've turned the control
    > down as far as you are inferring. How much, exactly, is "a little
    > green?" When I ran alsaconfig, the app auto-ran alsamixer and adjusted
    > the master volume one detent into the red, which by the way is the same
    > method I used to controll the record volume back in the day when I
    > recorded cassette music tapes from LP. So I left the controls just so.

    Charlie,

    Okay. I adjusted the volume up and ran alsactl store 0 again.

    Tried catting a file through /dev/audio and still got nothing.

    > You say you are using "Mickey Mouse" speakers. Do they have their own
    > amplified power source?

    They plug into my powerbar with a power supply and have to be turned on
    and off. Have a volume control too.

    > Sound cards do a really poor job of power
    > amplification, if they do it at all. What kind of sound card are you
    > using?

    It is built into the motherboard.

    Card: Intel 82801AA-ICH x
    Chip: Cirrus Logic CS4299 rev 4 x

    > From a previous post it appears that you are using an on-board
    > AC97 chip, the same one I have on my MB. I got that working allright,
    > but decided to put a decent sound card in anyway. The AC97 on my system
    > has line in, line out, and mic in - no power amp.

    This computer originally had Windows XP on it, and the guy who sold it to me
    booted it up and played with it and there was good sound.

    Thanks much,

    Tom

  14. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-16, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:04:02 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> http://lau.linuxaudio.org/Sound-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.5

    >> Tells me to 'cat /dev/sndstat' and if the result is "no such device",
    >> which it was, (the device file is there) that either my sounddriver is not
    >> loaded or it is not linked to the kernel.

    >> Yet alsaconf and alsamixer and alsactl report no problems at all. All the
    >> modules are apparently there. I have the files in /etc now....

    >> I'll keep reading. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

    > As I said the last step is
    >
    > alsactl store 0
    >
    > This stores the settings (for alsa device 0) you just set with
    > alsamixer. Are you sure you turned up the master volume and it is not
    > muted?

    It's up now, well into the red, like alsaconf set it to begin with.
    I tried catting a file to /dev/audio again and got nothing.

    > Also, if you use a CD player you need to hard wire the CDROM to
    > the appropriate socket on the mobo.
    >
    > The CD test approach is too complicated for right now. I get a mp3
    > file and start it running when I'm trying to solve wiring problems and
    > literally try all the jacks until I hit the right socket as another said
    > you need to be sure it's wired right first.

    When I bought this computer, the guy who owned it played a music CD on
    it to show me that it worked. It was running Windows XP.

    > Also you need to be testing this is an enviroment where you are sure all
    > the components are set up properly. There are not many but they all have
    > little "gotcha's".
    >
    > So start with basics. Report under what conditions you are trying a
    > sound file (CLI, KDE, etc). Be sure you have the right jacks. Make sure
    > the sound is not muted.

    It's not muted now. Where do I get a sound file? I'm running from the
    commandline. Do I need a special application to play the sound file
    or can I cat it to /dev/audio for testing?

    Man alsaconf has this option:

    -s, --sound-wav-file
    Use the specified wav file as a test sound.

    > BTW, I can report that the I810 chipset does indeed work and actually
    > has a pretty decent sound for an onboard audio chip.

    That's good to know.

    > PS: Radio Shack has the connectors you need and all are less than $10.

    So is that.

    I tried cat /dev/sndstat again and got "No such device" again.

    http://lau.linuxaudio.org/Sound-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.5 says this:

    "No such device" means that sound driver is not loaded or linked into kernel.

    But it is an old document and 4.2 says to use isapnp tools.

    Been working with this:

    http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/TroubleShooting

    It says this:

    It can also be that the ALSA driver has not been loaded but an OSS driver has been
    loaded. Check the contents of /dev/sndstat (or /proc/asound/oss/sndstat) and if you
    see your card listed there, and there is no ALSA emulation line, it is being driven
    by an OSS driver. Unload it and load the ALSA driver.

    It has the ALSA emulation line here.

    Thanks Ron,

    Tom

  15. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:23:05 +0000, Charlie Siegrist wrote:

    > You say you are using "Mickey Mouse" speakers. Do they have their own
    > amplified power source?

    Those outputs are made to be amplified "downstream" and are line level.

    AFAIK all PC sound outputs are line level. Think about it for a sec. I'm
    driving two big speakers with a 200W Onkyo amp. Can you imagine the size
    your sound card would have to be to do that, LOL!

    All the "PC Speakers" I've owned had some sort of a little transformer
    you plugged in to get some juice and the amps were built inside the
    speaker casing. But I have a buddy that has some small speakers that do
    not require external power. They put out a really small signal, hardly
    audible, but they do work. It's probably something new as I haven't used
    PC speakers in 10 years. I've been using the line out to an amp for a
    long time.

    Also not all AC97 chips are created equal. A high powered amp and
    good speakers reveals their faults pretty quickly. Like for example an
    ASUS mobo I had once with a CMEDIA chip put out an awful sound. OTOH, I
    actually kind of liked the sound output from the I810 chipset.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  16. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:15:19 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> The CD test approach is too complicated for right now. I get a mp3
    >> file
    >> and start it running when I'm trying to solve wiring problems and
    >> literally try all the jacks until I hit the right socket as another

    said
    >> you need to be sure it's wired right first.

    > When I bought this computer, the guy who owned it played a music CD on
    > it to show me that it worked. It was running Windows XP.

    And I'm sure it will again. See Windows handles CD sound across the PCI
    buss but Linux handles it differently requiring a little cable to be run
    from the CD drive to a socket on the mobo (or on the sound card if you
    have one).

    > It can also be that the ALSA driver has not been loaded but an OSS
    > driver has been loaded. Check the contents of /dev/sndstat (or
    > /proc/asound/oss/sndstat) and if you see your card listed there, and
    > there is no ALSA emulation line, it is being driven by an OSS driver.
    > Unload it and load the ALSA driver.

    > It has the ALSA emulation line here.

    You're starting to hone in on the problem. Thinking back I recall some
    sort of issue (this is very fuzzy so YMMV) with I810 and ALSA setting up
    the wrong module.

    I suggested the mp3 file as a starting point as it removes all variables
    but the sound card and modules.

    Lets make this as simple as possible. IOW lets get some sound first then
    we can attack the next problem knowing that our hardware and software is
    configured properly on a basic level.

    Install the package mpg321. This is a command line mp3 player. For
    version 12...

    ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/Linux/sla.../slackware/ap/
    mpg321-0.2.10-i486-2.tgz

    Or...

    http://tinyurl.com/2lcflz

    Install the package aumix (a command line mixer)...

    ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/linux/sla.../slackware/ap/
    aumix-2.8-i486-1.tgz

    or...

    http://tinyurl.com/32wc7y

    Now download this test mp3 file (It's a Shania Twain song "You're Still
    the One" but to make things real simple I've renamed it test.mp3 for
    you) at...

    ftp://ftp.rsgibson.com/pub/mp3/test.mp3

    Now to remove any possible permissions problems lets become root. I'd
    put that mp3 at /test.mp3 - We wanna keep it really simple here until we
    get this right.

    Open up VT1 and VT2, both as root. In VT1 start aumix. In VT2 issue the
    command...

    mpg321 -v /test.mp3 (see man mpg321 for additional info on switches)

    This will show you a lot of information. If you here nothing try
    switching back to VT1 and playing with aumix settings. If it bombs
    completely and refuses to play the file then we have another type of
    problem.

    If you still get no output open VT3 and then run...

    lsmod |less

    and see if the module is in fact loaded.

    also check

    ps aux |less

    to see what processes are running

    Now it can't get any more basic than this. And IMO when you have this
    type of problem it's best to resolve it on the most basic level first.

    BTW, don't feel too down about this. Setting up sound the first time is
    often a PITA. The good news is once it's done you'll be an expert and
    the next time it will be really simple. And that next time will be when
    you upgrade as Linux sound is amazingly stable once configured.

    More from file...

    /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

    Module snd-intel8x0
    -------------------

    Module for AC'97 motherboards from Intel and compatibles.
    * Intel i810/810E, i815, i820, i830, i84x, MX440
    ICH5, ICH6, ICH7, ESB2
    * SiS 7012 (SiS 735)
    * NVidia NForce, NForce2, NForce3, MCP04, CK804
    CK8, CK8S, MCP501
    * AMD AMD768, AMD8111
    * ALi m5455

    So for Alsa you need snd-intel8x0 to load. Does this agree with what
    alsaconf did to your /etc/modprobe.conf file ?

    That ought to keep you busy :-)

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  17. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-16, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:15:19 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> The CD test approach is too complicated for right now. I get a mp3
    >>> file
    >>> and start it running when I'm trying to solve wiring problems and
    >>> literally try all the jacks until I hit the right socket as another

    > said
    >>> you need to be sure it's wired right first.

    >> When I bought this computer, the guy who owned it played a music CD on
    >> it to show me that it worked. It was running Windows XP.

    Ron,

    > And I'm sure it will again. See Windows handles CD sound across the PCI
    > buss but Linux handles it differently requiring a little cable to be run
    > from the CD drive to a socket on the mobo (or on the sound card if you
    > have one).

    Okay.

    >> It can also be that the ALSA driver has not been loaded but an OSS
    >> driver has been loaded. Check the contents of /dev/sndstat (or
    >> /proc/asound/oss/sndstat) and if you see your card listed there, and
    >> there is no ALSA emulation line, it is being driven by an OSS driver.
    >> Unload it and load the ALSA driver.

    >> It has the ALSA emulation line here.

    > You're starting to hone in on the problem. Thinking back I recall some
    > sort of issue (this is very fuzzy so YMMV) with I810 and ALSA setting up
    > the wrong module.

    According to the docs I've read it's the right one:
    snd_intel8x0

    > I suggested the mp3 file as a starting point as it removes all variables
    > but the sound card and modules.
    >
    > Lets make this as simple as possible. IOW lets get some sound first then
    > we can attack the next problem knowing that our hardware and software is
    > configured properly on a basic level.
    >
    > Install the package mpg321. This is a command line mp3 player. For
    > version 12...
    >
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/Linux/sla.../slackware/ap/
    > mpg321-0.2.10-i486-2.tgz
    >
    > Or...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2lcflz

    Done.

    > Install the package aumix (a command line mixer)...
    >
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/linux/sla.../slackware/ap/
    > aumix-2.8-i486-1.tgz
    >
    > or...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/32wc7y

    Done.

    > Now download this test mp3 file (It's a Shania Twain song "You're Still
    > the One" but to make things real simple I've renamed it test.mp3 for
    > you) at...
    >
    > ftp://ftp.rsgibson.com/pub/mp3/test.mp3

    Done.

    > Now to remove any possible permissions problems lets become root. I'd
    > put that mp3 at /test.mp3 - We wanna keep it really simple here until we
    > get this right.
    >
    > Open up VT1 and VT2, both as root. In VT1 start aumix.

    Did that, but I couldn't get it say anything but "record" in the
    upper left hand corner. Hitting Space didn't change it, though
    the manpage says it will change between play and record for controls
    that are capable of this.

    > In VT2 issue the
    > command...
    >
    > mpg321 -v /test.mp3 (see man mpg321 for additional info on switches)

    Did mpg321 -o alsa -v ...

    > This will show you a lot of information. If you here nothing try
    > switching back to VT1 and playing with aumix settings. If it bombs
    > completely and refuses to play the file then we have another type of
    > problem.

    According to mpg321 it was playing away, but I heard nothing.

    Took the opportunity to try the jack to the speakers in the other
    two plugs, but they didn't even give me the speaker static that
    the one I was using did.

    > If you still get no output open VT3 and then run...
    >
    > lsmod |less
    >
    > and see if the module is in fact loaded.

    It is.

    I also ran depmod -n -e -F /boot/System.map to see if there
    were any problems. Size of the output blew me away, but
    there were no error messages reported. No unresolved symbols.

    > also check
    >
    > ps aux |less
    >
    > to see what processes are running
    >
    > Now it can't get any more basic than this. And IMO when you have this
    > type of problem it's best to resolve it on the most basic level first.

    Couldn't agree more.

    > BTW, don't feel too down about this. Setting up sound the first time is
    > often a PITA. The good news is once it's done you'll be an expert and
    > the next time it will be really simple. And that next time will be when
    > you upgrade as Linux sound is amazingly stable once configured.

    Yes!

    > More from file...
    >
    > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
    >

    > Module snd-intel8x0
    > -------------------
    >
    > Module for AC'97 motherboards from Intel and compatibles.
    > * Intel i810/810E, i815, i820, i830, i84x, MX440
    > ICH5, ICH6, ICH7, ESB2
    > * SiS 7012 (SiS 735)
    > * NVidia NForce, NForce2, NForce3, MCP04, CK804
    > CK8, CK8S, MCP501
    > * AMD AMD768, AMD8111
    > * ALi m5455
    >
    > So for Alsa you need snd-intel8x0 to load. Does this agree with what
    > alsaconf did to your /etc/modprobe.conf file ?
    >
    > That ought to keep you busy :-)

    I've been busier than a one-legged man at an ass kicking contest :-)

    Still can't figure out why /proc/asound/oss/sndstat gives this:

    Installed drivers:
    Type 10: ALSA emulation

    Card config:
    Intel 82801AA-ICH with CS4299 at irq 10

    Audio devices:
    0: Intel 82801AA-ICH (DUPLEX)

    Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Timers:
    7: system timer

    Mixers:
    0: Cirrus Logic CS4299 rev 4

    But cat /dev/sndstat says "no such device"

    Thanks for making that so easy and clear, Ron.

    Maybe the problem is that "record" in aumix, which I
    couldn't change for the life of me ????

    Tom

  18. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript -update

    On 2007-11-17, Tom N wrote:

    >> said

    >>> When I bought this computer, the guy who owned it played a music CD on
    >>> it to show me that it worked. It was running Windows XP.

    > Ron,
    >
    >> And I'm sure it will again. See Windows handles CD sound across the PCI
    >> buss but Linux handles it differently requiring a little cable to be run
    >> from the CD drive to a socket on the mobo (or on the sound card if you
    >> have one).

    > Okay.

    Some details:

    Using lsof I found these relevant files open while the mpg was 'playing':

    /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
    /dev/snd/timer
    /dev/mixer0

    aumix opened /dev/mixer0 and /dev/snd/pcmC000p

    mpg321 opened /dev/pcmC000p and /dev/snd/timer

    No /dev/audio or /dev/audio0 (the file /dev/audio is a symbolic link to).

    If it is relevant, I'm only getting 'sound' (scratchy noises when I change
    the volume on the speaker) from the left speaker, none from the right.
    Unless I pull the plug halfway out. To me that indicates only one live
    channel, the left one, from the computer.

    Still baffled and still reading and experimenting.

    alsamixer says that it is turned to mono output (farthest right on the display)

    Looks like this:

    # mix
    #
    #
    # mono out

    Tom

  19. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 04:17:04 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> So for Alsa you need snd-intel8x0 to load. Does this agree with what
    >> alsaconf did to your /etc/modprobe.conf file ?
    >>
    >> That ought to keep you busy :-)
    >>

    > I've been busier than a one-legged man at an ass kicking contest :-)

    Well, as you now seems to be vey quiet and not busy at all
    here's some more stuff to check ;-)

    Please give the output of the following commands :

    # aplay -l (this is letter 'el' not the number 1)
    # aplay -L (this is capital letter L)

    # amixer
    (or amixer -c cardnumber if you happen to have hidden
    cards but given your precedent posts I don't think so)

  20. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-17, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 04:17:04 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> So for Alsa you need snd-intel8x0 to load. Does this agree with what
    >>> alsaconf did to your /etc/modprobe.conf file ?
    >>>
    >>> That ought to keep you busy :-)
    >>>

    >> I've been busier than a one-legged man at an ass kicking contest :-)
    >>

    > Well, as you now seems to be vey quiet and not busy at all
    > here's some more stuff to check ;-)

    You are funnier than George Bush centerfold.

    > Please give the output of the following commands :
    >
    > # aplay -l (this is letter 'el' not the number 1)
    > # aplay -L (this is capital letter L)
    >
    > # amixer
    > (or amixer -c cardnumber if you happen to have hidden
    > cards but given your precedent posts I don't think so)

    Gladly:

    aplay -l
    --------

    card 0: I82801AAICH [Intel 82801AA-ICH], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801AA-ICH]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

    aplay -L
    --------

    default:CARD=I82801AAICH
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=I82801AAICH,DEV=0
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    Front speakers
    surround40:CARD=I82801AAICH,DEV=0
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    surround41:CARD=I82801AAICH,DEV=0
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    surround50:CARD=I82801AAICH,DEV=0
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    surround51:CARD=I82801AAICH,DEV=0
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    iec958:CARD=I82801AAICH,DEV=0
    Intel 82801AA-ICH, Intel 82801AA-ICH
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    null

    amixer
    -----

    Simple mixer control 'Master',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 63
    Mono:
    Front Left: Playback 54 [86%] [-13.50dB] [on]
    Front Right: Playback 54 [86%] [-13.50dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Mono: Playback 26 [84%] [-7.50dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Mono:
    Front Left: Playback 27 [87%] [-6.00dB] [on]
    Front Right: Playback 27 [87%] [-6.00dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control '3D Control - Center',0
    Capabilities: volume volume-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Capture channels: Mono
    Limits: 0 - 15
    Mono: 1 [7%]
    Simple mixer control '3D Control - Depth',0
    Capabilities: volume volume-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Capture channels: Mono
    Limits: 0 - 15
    Mono: 0 [0%]
    Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
    Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Mono: Playback [on]
    Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Mono:
    Front Left: Playback 24 [77%] [1.50dB] [on]
    Front Right: Playback 24 [77%] [1.50dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Line',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on] Capture [off]
    Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on] Capture [off]
    Simple mixer control 'CD',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Front Left: Playback 20 [65%] [-4.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
    Front Right: Playback 20 [65%] [-4.50dB] [on] Capture [off]
    Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Playback channels: Mono
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Mono: Playback 23 [74%] [0.00dB] [on]
    Front Left: Capture [off]
    Front Right: Capture [off]
    Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
    Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Mono: Playback [off]
    Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
    Capabilities: enum
    Items: 'Mic1' 'Mic2'
    Item0: 'Mic1'
    Simple mixer control 'Video',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
    Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
    Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Playback channels: Mono
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Mono: Playback 26 [84%] [4.50dB] [on]
    Front Left: Capture [off]
    Front Right: Capture [off]
    Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
    Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Mono: Playback [on]
    Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Limits: Playback 0 - 15
    Mono: Playback 13 [87%] [-6.00dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
    Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Playback 0 - 31
    Front Left: Playback 27 [87%] [6.00dB] [on] Capture [off]
    Front Right: Playback 27 [87%] [6.00dB] [on] Capture [off]
    Simple mixer control 'Mono Output Select',0
    Capabilities: enum
    Items: 'Mix' 'Mic'
    Item0: 'Mix'
    Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
    Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Limits: Capture 0 - 15
    Front Left: Capture 13 [87%] [19.50dB] [on]
    Front Right: Capture 13 [87%] [19.50dB] [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
    Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Front Left: Capture [on]
    Front Right: Capture [on]
    Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
    Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
    Capture exclusive group: 0
    Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
    Front Left: Capture [off]
    Front Right: Capture [off]
    Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier',0
    Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
    Playback channels: Mono
    Mono: Playback [on]

    I could also post the output of aadebug, but it is a long, formatted
    file with long lines. But if you can make use of the above then you
    could make good use of it.

    I just don't know how to post it without making it
    undreadable.

    http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Aadebug

    Thanks for the help, Loki.

    I looked up "endless loop" in an online hacker's dictionary earlier. It said "See loop, endless".
    When I found "loop, endless" it said "See endles loop".

    I think that guy must have had to configure sound from scratch at one time.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast