Basic Sound Configuration - Slackware

This is a discussion on Basic Sound Configuration - Slackware ; Tom N wrote: > ... > Start down that path with a computer and pretty soon > you have five gigabytes of software devoted to analyzing every > packet that comes and goes out and constantly scanning > your files ...

  1. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    Tom N wrote:

    > Start down that path with a computer and pretty soon
    > you have five gigabytes of software devoted to analyzing every
    > packet that comes and goes out and constantly scanning
    > your files and using up RAM.
    >
    > All of it written by near-paranoids ... who are so obsessed with
    > fighting Evil Crackers that they can justify any clandestine invasion
    > of your privacy, ...

    Usually not: most of that stuff is written by near-clever business people
    (or programmers hired by near-clever business people) with an obsession
    for dipping into the wallets of an as large portion of the mass-population
    as possible. The stuff about "fighting Evil Crackers" is, of course,
    simply marketing and PR. Their primary concern is "moving product".
    If the product happens to help keep a few computer systems from being
    compromised even once, well that's just good PR, isn't it?

    The near-paranoids focus on protecting their own systems, but with
    software they wrote themselves, given that they can't really trust
    anything written by anyone else ...
    :-)

    Professional Near-Paranoid Concordia University
    > very possible, even obvious :-) that you are better with google than I
    > am.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Tom

    Did you try site:support.gateway.com 300s in google?

    The closest I could find without you serial number is a 300s ltd.
    http://support.gateway.com/support/s...?sn=0024938999

    Are the connectors three different colors for the three connectors?
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51108113.shtml

    If that is not close enough go to http://support.gateway.com and put you
    serial number in there and it should give you similar results.

    --
    Ed

  3. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On 2007-11-23, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:

    >> Start down that path with a computer and pretty soon
    >> you have five gigabytes of software devoted to analyzing every
    >> packet that comes and goes out and constantly scanning
    >> your files and using up RAM.
    >>
    >> All of it written by near-paranoids ... who are so obsessed with
    >> fighting Evil Crackers that they can justify any clandestine invasion
    >> of your privacy, ...

    Hello Sylvain.

    (That's a very interesting and poetical name. Must mean something like
    "man of the forest".)

    > Usually not: most of that stuff is written by near-clever business people
    > (or programmers hired by near-clever business people) with an obsession
    > for dipping into the wallets of an as large portion of the mass-population
    > as possible. The stuff about "fighting Evil Crackers" is, of course,
    > simply marketing and PR. Their primary concern is "moving product".
    > If the product happens to help keep a few computer systems from being
    > compromised even once, well that's just good PR, isn't it?

    Lot of sense in that. I understand that many of the 'security experts'
    are former crackers, so they certainly didn't have much in the way
    of morals to start with.

    I figured it was a scam. In fact, I suspected that the virus/worm
    mass attacks that I've read about were initiated by the same people
    who were selling the software to combat them.

    Pays to note that Microsoft has no problems with doing business
    with them, including all of that 'necessary protection' in their
    operating systems' basic packages.

    > The near-paranoids focus on protecting their own systems, but with
    > software they wrote themselves, given that they can't really trust
    > anything written by anyone else ...
    >:-)

    Oh ho! :-)

    But they have a point...

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  4. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-23, Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> There's a sticker on the back that says "Gateway 300S PRB PC". I googled
    >> for it and just found some irrelevant stuff on a mailing list, but it is
    >> very possible, even obvious :-) that you are better with google than I
    >> am.

    Ed,

    > Did you try site:support.gateway.com 300s in google?

    I only searched the main site with google. Didn't know about that one.

    > The closest I could find without you serial number is a 300s ltd.
    > http://support.gateway.com/support/s...?sn=0024938999

    The specs are very close.

    > Are the connectors three different colors for the three connectors?
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51108113.shtml

    That's it! Exactly. The black one is the one I need. Excellent!

    I was very reluctant to plug the CD into random sockets, and it's good
    to know the right one.

    > If that is not close enough go to http://support.gateway.com and put you
    > serial number in there and it should give you similar results.

    And how does one find the serial number? There are number and letter groups
    all over the place.

    I'll see if I can find out by searching that site.

    Maybe search the intel site for "MSI Motherboard - 1-GHz (1000-MHz) Celeron" ??

    Beats the hell out of me how you came up with this, but I sure appreciate
    it.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  5. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    Tom N wrote:

    > And how does one find the serial number? There are number and letter
    > groups all over the place.
    >
    > I'll see if I can find out by searching that site.

    Right under the box that will take a serial number it links to a page that
    will let you select your type of product, after that it will show pictures
    of that type and click on the one that looks like yours.

    > Maybe search the intel site for "MSI Motherboard - 1-GHz (1000-MHz)
    > Celeron" ??

    The best place to search for information for a msi motherboard would be the
    msi website, unless gateway is the only buyer of the board in which case
    you have whatever gateway gives you.

    > Beats the hell out of me how you came up with this, but I sure appreciate
    > it.

    Most computer manufacturers/parts maker use either have a support subdomain
    or a link on the main site that says support.

    I started by searching for the string you gave me "Gateway 300S PRB PC".
    When that didn't give me anything usefull I started chopping chunks from
    the right side until I found that Gateway 300s seemed to bring up a lot of
    results. Then I threw in site:support.gateway.com because I figured the
    best group to know anything would be the oem.

    --
    Ed

  6. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:21:04 -0500, Ed Wilson wrote:

    > Did you try site:support.gateway.com 300s in google?
    >
    > The closest I could find without you serial number is a 300s ltd.
    > http://support.gateway.com/support/s...?sn=0024938999
    >
    > Are the connectors three different colors for the three connectors?
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51108113.shtml
    >
    > If that is not close enough go to http://support.gateway.com and put you
    > serial number in there and it should give you similar results.

    Boy you get the sleuthing award! I tried about 20 minutes and couldn't
    get nowhere close to what you did.

    If I had this information alone I'd go ahead and just try the three
    plugs. The one thing 'd be concerned about, though not very much, is
    causing an electrical problem on the mobo from plugging something in an
    incompatible socket. Again even in the absence of information the
    chances of that are low as I've never seen the type of plug used on
    CDROM connectors used for anything but line level audio but there is
    always that first time

    I'd say that if Gateway decided to include these three type of adaptors
    in this year on their slimline cases most likely they used the same
    layout on all the slimline cases during that period.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    Tom N wrote:

    > (That's a very interesting and poetical name. Must mean something like
    > "man of the forest".)

    To be honest, I haven't a clue about it, and I've never been inclined to
    find out. It's a pretty common French-Canadian name.

    > ... I suspected that the virus/worm mass attacks that I've read about
    > were initiated by the same people who were selling the software to
    > combat them.

    I've never found any proof of that, but I have pointed out to people
    that every new variant of every worm does tend to "move product" for the
    "security software" companies. In fact, I've pointed out the oddity
    that there is effectively an entire industry built on the idea of adding
    "protection" to computer systems, rather than removing the vulnerable
    software in the first place.

    > Pays to note that Microsoft has no problems with doing business
    > with them, ...

    I assure you that the companies that write this stuff love Microsoft.
    It's good for their business.

    >> The near-paranoids focus on protecting their own systems, but with
    >> software they wrote themselves, given that they can't really trust
    >> anything written by anyone else ...

    > But they have a point...

    To an extent. Can you trust a compiler that produces an incorrect
    result for "i = 2; n = -1 * abs(i - 1);"? Compile and run the following
    on any recent Linux system for an example. Can you trust
    command-interpreters (like shells or Perl and friends) built with such a
    compiler?

    ---- start newmath.c ----
    #include
    #include

    int main( void )
    {
    int i, n;
    i = 2;
    n = -1 * abs(i - 1);
    printf("-1 * %d = %d\n", abs(i - 1), n);
    return 0 ;
    }
    ---- end newmath.c ----

    : charlotte[syl] ~/src; make newmath
    cc newmath.c -o newmath
    : charlotte[syl] ~/src; ./newmath
    -1 * 1 = 1

  8. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On 2007-11-23, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> (That's a very interesting and poetical name. Must mean something like
    >> "man of the forest".)

    > To be honest, I haven't a clue about it, and I've never been inclined to
    > find out. It's a pretty common French-Canadian name.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sylvan

    1. Relating to or characteristic of woods or forest regions.
    2. Located in or inhabiting a wood or forest.
    3. Abounding in trees; wooded.

    >> ... I suspected that the virus/worm mass attacks that I've read about
    >> were initiated by the same people who were selling the software to
    >> combat them.

    > I've never found any proof of that, but I have pointed out to people
    > that every new variant of every worm does tend to "move product" for the
    > "security software" companies. In fact, I've pointed out the oddity
    > that there is effectively an entire industry built on the idea of adding
    > "protection" to computer systems, rather than removing the vulnerable
    > software in the first place.

    I think that Microsoft builds security holes into their operating systems
    so that _they_ can access them without the 'owner' being aware of it,
    and therefore _other_people_ can use those same holes.

    They can't get rid of the vulnerable software because they'd have to
    get rid of Windows.

    >> Pays to note that Microsoft has no problems with doing business
    >> with them, ...

    > I assure you that the companies that write this stuff love Microsoft.
    > It's good for their business.
    >
    >>> The near-paranoids focus on protecting their own systems, but with
    >>> software they wrote themselves, given that they can't really trust
    >>> anything written by anyone else ...

    >> But they have a point...

    > To an extent. Can you trust a compiler that produces an incorrect
    > result for "i = 2; n = -1 * abs(i - 1);"? Compile and run the following
    > on any recent Linux system for an example. Can you trust
    > command-interpreters (like shells or Perl and friends) built with such a
    > compiler?
    >
    > ---- start newmath.c ----
    > #include
    > #include
    >
    > int main( void )
    > {
    > int i, n;
    > i = 2;
    > n = -1 * abs(i - 1);
    > printf("-1 * %d = %d\n", abs(i - 1), n);
    > return 0 ;
    > }
    > ---- end newmath.c ----
    >
    > : charlotte[syl] ~/src; make newmath
    > cc newmath.c -o newmath
    > : charlotte[syl] ~/src; ./newmath
    > -1 * 1 = 1

    Sorry. I'm too paranoid to compile and run that.

    :-))

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  9. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-23, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:21:04 -0500, Ed Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Did you try site:support.gateway.com 300s in google?
    >>
    >> The closest I could find without you serial number is a 300s ltd.
    >> http://support.gateway.com/support/s...?sn=0024938999
    >>
    >> Are the connectors three different colors for the three connectors?
    >> http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51108113.shtml
    >>
    >> If that is not close enough go to http://support.gateway.com and put you
    >> serial number in there and it should give you similar results.

    > Boy you get the sleuthing award! I tried about 20 minutes and couldn't
    > get nowhere close to what you did.

    For which I thank you. You laid the groundwork here.

    And your solution would have most likely worked...

    > If I had this information alone I'd go ahead and just try the three
    > plugs. The one thing 'd be concerned about, though not very much, is
    > causing an electrical problem on the mobo from plugging something in an
    > incompatible socket. Again even in the absence of information the
    > chances of that are low as I've never seen the type of plug used on
    > CDROM connectors used for anything but line level audio but there is
    > always that first time

    But I would have tried, if nothing else came up. If it trashed the
    board then I'd get another computer and chalk it up to experience.
    You make due with what you know.

    I _have_ followed your advice and copied /etc, gzipped, to some
    floppies.

    Plus the output of tree for the whole system, again gzipped. I
    have the CDs I used to build it 'from scratch' in the first place.
    I'd be back here making a pest of myself in no time.

    :-)

    > I'd say that if Gateway decided to include these three type of adaptors
    > in this year on their slimline cases most likely they used the same
    > layout on all the slimline cases during that period.

    That makes sense.

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  10. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-23, Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >

    >> And how does one find the serial number? There are number and letter
    >> groups all over the place.
    >>
    >> I'll see if I can find out by searching that site.

    > Right under the box that will take a serial number it links to a page that
    > will let you select your type of product, after that it will show pictures
    > of that type and click on the one that looks like yours.
    >

    >> Maybe search the intel site for "MSI Motherboard - 1-GHz (1000-MHz)
    >> Celeron" ??
    >>

    > The best place to search for information for a msi motherboard would be the
    > msi website, unless gateway is the only buyer of the board in which case
    > you have whatever gateway gives you.

    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51491201.shtml

    That looks exactly like it, though about half of mine is obscured by
    the CD and floppy drives

    The component list matches too.

    >> Beats the hell out of me how you came up with this, but I sure appreciate
    >> it.

    > Most computer manufacturers/parts maker use either have a support subdomain
    > or a link on the main site that says support.
    >
    > I started by searching for the string you gave me "Gateway 300S PRB PC".
    > When that didn't give me anything usefull I started chopping chunks from
    > the right side until I found that Gateway 300s seemed to bring up a lot of
    > results. Then I threw in site:support.gateway.com because I figured the
    > best group to know anything would be the oem.

    An approach I will make good use of in the future.

    Thanks, Ed,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  11. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    Tom N says:

    >Hi Mark,

    Smoochie koo...

    You're sickening. Bugger off. You're an embarrassment to all the
    readers of this ng.

    Again, bugger off.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  12. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    Tom N says:

    >Greetings Loki, linux/unix guru par exellence.

    Grr.

    Please leave.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  13. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    Mark South says:
    >On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:00:51 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Hi Mark,

    >Hi Tom :-) <------------ rm flamebait

    Gee, and how were you able to figure that out?

    And why the smiley? You don't want to be taken seriously, but the
    other guy is TOTALLY SERIOUS.

    And his domain name is _still_ darkstar.example.net. Could somebody
    please straighten this idiot out? He's making us all look like a
    bunch of fairies or something...

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  14. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    Tom N says:
    >On 2007-11-21, Ron Gibson wrote:

    >> BTW, OP - Tom, Newegg is a great store to buy from. They are
    >> cheap, reliable and back their products with a no nonsense return
    >> policy.

    >Good to know.

    Smoochie koo.

    One of these days somebody is going to take you outside, shove a
    loaded shotgun up your ass, and wait for you to say something.

    Anything at all...

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  15. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:45:25 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > One of these days somebody is going to take you outside, shove a
    > loaded shotgun up your ass, and wait for you to say something.

    One of these days (hopefully) you are going to shove a loaded shotgun into
    your mouth, say "cordially", and pull the trigger. Please hurry.

    > cordially, as always,

    Smeg off, troll.

  16. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:07:16 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> To be honest, I haven't a clue about it, and I've never been inclined to
    >> find out. It's a pretty common French-Canadian name.

    > http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sylvan
    >
    > 1. Relating to or characteristic of woods or forest regions.
    > 2. Located in or inhabiting a wood or forest.
    > 3. Abounding in trees; wooded.

    The name is "Sylvain", not "Sylvan", doofus.

  17. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic SoundConfiguration.*

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:12:31 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:07:16 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> To be honest, I haven't a clue about it, and I've never been inclined to
    >>> find out. It's a pretty common French-Canadian name.

    >> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sylvan
    >>
    >> 1. Relating to or characteristic of woods or forest regions.
    >> 2. Located in or inhabiting a wood or forest.
    >> 3. Abounding in trees; wooded.

    > The name is "Sylvain", not "Sylvan", doofus.

    And the french pronunciation of "Sylvain" (modulo the nasal n) is very
    close to the english pronunciation of "Sylvan", which is from the latin
    word for a wood.

    There's more floppiness between pronunciation and orthography than there
    is between rm's ears.

  18. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 01:35:43 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Mark South says:
    >>On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:00:51 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >>> Hi Mark,

    >>Hi Tom :-) <------------ rm flamebait

    > Gee, and how were you able to figure that out?

    It's a tautology. Any post at all in aols is rm flamebait.

    > And why the smiley? You don't want to be taken seriously, but the
    > other guy is TOTALLY SERIOUS.

    I am totally serious that I intended there to be a smiley.

    > And his domain name is _still_ darkstar.example.net. Could somebody
    > please straighten this idiot out? He's making us all look like a
    > bunch of fairies or something...

    If you stuck a pine tree up your ass and held a candle in each hand you
    would even look the part, and be early for xmas.

    Don't forget to post jpegs.

  19. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:53:03 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    >> The name is "Sylvain", not "Sylvan", doofus.

    > And the french pronunciation of "Sylvain" (modulo the nasal n) is very
    > close to the english pronunciation of "Sylvan", which is from the latin
    > word for a wood.

    Well, isn't that nice. Quite irrelevant though, when talking about
    looking words up in a dictionary. The discussion was about the *meaning*
    of a word, not it's *pronunciation*.

  20. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic SoundConfiguration.*

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:39:27 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:53:03 +0100, Mark South wrote:
    >
    >>> The name is "Sylvain", not "Sylvan", doofus.

    >> And the french pronunciation of "Sylvain" (modulo the nasal n) is very
    >> close to the english pronunciation of "Sylvan", which is from the latin
    >> word for a wood.

    > Well, isn't that nice. Quite irrelevant though, when talking about
    > looking words up in a dictionary. The discussion was about the *meaning*
    > of a word, not it's *pronunciation*.

    When words move across languages, they tend to keep their pronunciation
    and change their orthography. So not at all irrelevant to your
    original objection.