Basic Sound Configuration - Slackware

This is a discussion on Basic Sound Configuration - Slackware ; On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:08:06 -0500, Ed Wilson wrote: > Newegg has a nice picture of the rear of a CD drive with all of the > connectors labeled. Darn I tried to find a rear view on Newegg ...

  1. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:08:06 -0500, Ed Wilson wrote:

    > Newegg has a nice picture of the rear of a CD drive with all of the
    > connectors labeled.

    Darn I tried to find a rear view on Newegg for about 3 different CDRW's
    and got every view but the rear :-)

    BTW, OP - Tom, Newegg is a great store to buy from. They are cheap,
    reliable and back their products with a no nonsense return policy.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:08:06 -0500, Ed Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Newegg has a nice picture of the rear of a CD drive with all of the
    >> connectors labeled.

    > Darn I tried to find a rear view on Newegg for about 3 different CDRW's
    > and got every view but the rear :-)

    Did you try the image slideshow? I am having problems finding a drive
    without the back pictured. I usually wonder why I am not seeing the view I
    want until I mouse over the thumbnails or start the slideshow, for some
    reason the thumbnails do not indicate that the bigger picture has labels.
    --
    Ed

  3. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On 2007-11-21, Mark South wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:00:51 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Hi Mark,

    > Hi Tom :-) <------------ rm flamebait

    Left my lighter fluid at home :-\

    >>> The compression ratio flac achieves is not great, about 1/2 the size of
    >>> the original .wav. Worth having, of course.

    >> Good to know.

    > Not scientific estimates by any means, just random observations.

    Probably not so random.

    >>> Before you encode all your music in flac, you may want to read about the
    >>> critical vulnerability issue that surfaced this week (think it was
    >>> slashdotted) and maybe wait until there is a fix.

    >> I have no idea what you are talking about. Vulnerability to what?

    > There was a critical security vulnerability discovered in flac, the devs
    > are working on fixing it now. Personally, I have never downloaded a flac
    > file from a website and played it, so I'm not worried. All mine are
    > distilled from the original CDs. And I live in Europe, so I'm allowed
    > to do that under fair use.

    I see. (After reading Richard's post :-) Malicious hackers might have
    inserted code into flac files on some websites.

    I tried to find a free music download site, but they all turned out
    to be pay sites. Not that the fees were that much, but I won't do
    business with sleazeballs who lie to me.

    So I haven't downloaded any music from the web. Just been copying
    my CDs to disk, so I should be okay.

    The malicious code probably doesn't work on Linux anyway, right?

    Thanks, Mark,

    Tom

  4. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On 2007-11-21, Richard James wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> Before you encode all your music in flac, you may want to read about the
    >>> critical vulnerability issue that surfaced this week (think it was
    >>> slashdotted) and maybe wait until there is a fix.

    >> I have no idea what you are talking about. Vulnerability to what?

    > Someone malicious "might" be able to exploit the way flac is
    > decoded/decompressed. To do this you need to download a file that they have
    > especially made and then play it through a program like xine. Then they can
    > gain execution control over the flac decoder which would be running as your
    > user so they could alter files on your system.
    >
    > Notice that I said "might" because there is no proof. There only exists a
    > possibility that someone could create such a file. No-one yet has done so.
    >
    > Also you would have to download this file and then play it.
    >
    > If you are just using flac to compress your own files there is no danger.
    >
    > It is like saying that someone could possibly inject poison into beer in a
    > bottle shop. But you brew your own beer and never buy from the bottle shop.
    > So you have no risk.
    >
    > Richard James

    Thanks Richard.

    "Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

    Which is, of course, the ultimate paranoid statement.

    I think I'll just relaxe about this and leave the paranoids to fund the
    psychoanalytic and psychopharmaceutical industries.

    Tom

  5. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On 2007-11-21, Mark South wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:34:30 +1000, Richard James wrote:
    >
    >> ...someone could possibly inject poison into beer in a
    >> bottle shop.

    > What are you trying to do, ruin everyone's day or something?

    :-)

    Google the subject of astronomers who watch the skies because they
    are afraid that some giant meteorite might strike the planet.

    "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" --Henny Penny

    I've heard some of them interviewed on talk shows. They
    are dead serious and they have the support of the government.

    "We have met the enemy and they is us." --Pogo

    Tom

  6. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On 2007-11-21, loki harfagr wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:00:55 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-11-21, loki harfagr wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:16:46 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Greetings Loki, linux/unix guru par exellence.

    > Slanderous allegation!
    >
    >> How have you been, old
    >> sod? Wife and kids doing good? Little Johnny still active in the Cub
    >> Scouts? How'd the church picnic go? Yer wife make that godawful
    >> Hungarian potato salad again? You should never put turnips in a potato
    >> salad, it is a crime, no?

    > Hum, what's goin'on here? Was that again bait for kooks or
    > you just gone kook as well ?-D)
    >>
    >> ;-)

    > Now, do behave!

    I'm really trying. Give me a break! :-\

    >>> Anyway, these special won't ever use 44.KHz 16 bits, nothing less
    >>> than 192KHz 24bits please ;-)

    >> :-)
    >>
    >> Are there really people like that?

    > A lot, they outnumber honest lawyers ten million to one,
    > they should then be around 5 million if the guy's not dead...

    Oh my.

    >> I just want to listen to good music,
    >> and it makes sense to use a lossless compression program. Probably need
    >> to add a second hard drive for music otherwise.

    > And probably also depends on how many songs you can have the time to
    > listen to in your life :-)

    I am not one of these people who can't live without an ipod or home
    sound system playing. Those people are nuts, in my opinion.
    And there sure are a lot of them.

    I own about 15 CDs and that's all the music I listen to. Used to do
    it on a boombox, which self-destructed right on schedule. Now I get
    MUCH better sound from my computer, thanks to you and Ron and the
    other guys here.

    > Approx. 11 MB per minute in CDformat (44.1KHz,16bits)
    > 5.5 MB per minute in flac.
    > 1 or 2 MB per minute in vorbis.
    >
    > Or, to see it in the HD POV:
    > 320 GB will play continuously (roughly):
    > 20 days in wav
    > 6 weeks in flac
    > 7 months in vorbis

    Wow! That put's it in perspective.

    Cheers,

    Tom

  7. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    Tom N wrote:

    >> Before you encode all your music in flac, you may want to read about the
    >> critical vulnerability issue that surfaced this week (think it was
    >> slashdotted) and maybe wait until there is a fix.

    > I have no idea what you are talking about. Vulnerability to what?

    Someone malicious "might" be able to exploit the way flac is
    decoded/decompressed. To do this you need to download a file that they have
    especially made and then play it through a program like xine. Then they can
    gain execution control over the flac decoder which would be running as your
    user so they could alter files on your system.

    Notice that I said "might" because there is no proof. There only exists a
    possibility that someone could create such a file. No-one yet has done so.

    Also you would have to download this file and then play it.

    If you are just using flac to compress your own files there is no danger.

    It is like saying that someone could possibly inject poison into beer in a
    bottle shop. But you brew your own beer and never buy from the bottle shop.
    So you have no risk.

    Richard James

  8. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    Hi Ed,
    On 2007-11-21, Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> There seems to be two jacks on the left side. What looks like the outside
    >> one is smaller than the inside one, which is a mirror image of the ones
    >> I described above. That outside one has only two pins.

    > The one on the left with two pins sounds like the digital audio out. The
    > one just to the right of that with four pins sounds like the analog audio
    > out.

    Okay. But what about the 3 jacks on the mother board? I still don't know
    whether those are the right ones or not...

    >> Then there's one further right that's quite different in appearance,
    >> with the pins kind of exposed and grouped in a bunch, rather than
    >> side-by-side, with a white plastic tab beside them.

    > That sounds the jumper configuration block which lets you choose if the
    > device is master, slave, or cable selected.

    Okay.

    > Newegg has a nice picture of the rear of a CD drive with all of the
    > connectors labeled.
    >
    > this link goes to the product pictures for Item#:N82E16827106228 a LITE-ON
    > dvd drive.
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/yszh32

    I apparently don't have the resolution to see the details there. Even tried
    downloading the file and opening it in xv. The back is mostly just black.
    I can see white recangle at "Device configuration jumper" and the 4 pins
    on the far right, but that's all.

    >> Are you sure I need a soundcard?

    > No.
    > http://www.nabble.com/Still-can&#39;t-pl...-t4139431.html

    Thanks, Ed. I'll read that whole thread. Got it bookmarked.

    Tom

  9. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-21, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:08:06 -0500, Ed Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Newegg has a nice picture of the rear of a CD drive with all of the
    >> connectors labeled.

    > Darn I tried to find a rear view on Newegg for about 3 different CDRW's
    > and got every view but the rear :-)
    >
    > BTW, OP - Tom, Newegg is a great store to buy from. They are cheap,
    > reliable and back their products with a no nonsense return policy.

    Good to know.

    Considering that it took me 6 minutes to load that one page, they
    better have something good going for them!!!

    Sorry. I'm whining. Better do something about this dialup connection.

    Tom

  10. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    Hi Ron,
    On 2007-11-21, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 02:28:38 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/2hm8vl

    >> Are you sure I need a soundcard?

    > Well you need to get the cable and try. The suggestions for other cards
    > are if you can't get it working. Also look real hard now on the mobo for
    > a hint. All modern boards now have silk screened the print on these
    > things and you hardly need to refer to the manual anymore. Older boards
    > were not so accomadating.
    >
    > They'll name the socket "AUX" or "CD", something like that.

    Okay. But will you please give a definite yes, no, or maybe on those
    three sockets on my motherboard? I have asked you twice already and
    you haven't responded.

    They are the only sockets I can see, of any kind, on the motherboard,
    and they look just like the one on the back of my CD player.

    > Just leave the case cover off and try one then the other if the first
    > one doesn't work. Be sure to always power down when changing mobo
    > connectors. I power down and pull the power cord from the power supply
    > for 10 seconds myself before making a cable change.

    That sort of detail is very much appreciated.

    > Unfortunately I've found these little cables are sometimes hard to find
    > in stores like CompUSA. If you can't find one there try a small shop.
    > Usually they cannabilize old machines and keep parts like these for when
    > needed. As I said there's been one included with every CD or DVD drive
    > I've ever bought.Oh here you go...
    >
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...&Ntt=cd+audio+
    > cable&N=0&df=0&Nty=1&Ntk=All&product_code=294966
    >
    > or...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2jkgln
    >
    > In fact if you carry the box there with the case open they might just sell
    > you one and plug it in for free! It only takes a few seconds.

    OKay.

    > BTW, you can use workbone in a VT to test it if you like, again the
    > simplest way to test things. See if you have it installed (which
    > workbone).
    >
    > workbone: workbone (text-based CD player)
    >
    > workbone: WorkBone is a simple interactive tool for for playing audio CDs
    > from the Linux console.
    >
    > If not...
    >
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/linux/sla.../slackware/ap/
    > workbone-2.40-i386-3.tgz
    >
    > or...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2ajq93

    I will install it.

    > Have you gotten your slocate database up to date yet? Might want to do
    > that because here pretty soon you gonna need to find things easily.

    I use locate. Quite sick of all these paranoids telling me that I have
    to be paranoid too, and insisting that I keep downloading large,
    complex packages that in the long run just make my operating system more
    complex and therefore less secure. At best.

    Besides, anyone who has dealt with paranoids knows that they are the
    last people in the world that you can trust: They can jusify anything
    to "Combat Evil".

    I updatedb regularly.

    If Linux is so far gone that I can't even search the files on it locally
    without being in danger, then all is lost. And that obviously isn't
    the case.

    End Rant :-/

    Thanks, Ron

    Tom

  11. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    Tom N wrote:

    > Okay. But what about the 3 jacks on the mother board? I still don't know
    > whether those are the right ones or not...

    The way you describe them they sound like the right connector, but doing a
    search on google for jatd motherboard brought up a picture and table where
    jatd is the label for the modem interface(my creative soundblater live has
    one of these next to the CD input). Do any of the other jacks have labels?
    If you could give the gateway model number I could try and convice google
    to inform us of the motherboard layout so I could give you a definite
    answer.

    > I apparently don't have the resolution to see the details there. Even
    > tried downloading the file and opening it in xv. The back is mostly just
    > black. I can see white recangle at "Device configuration jumper" and the 4
    > pins on the far right, but that's all.

    --
    Ed

  12. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-22, Ed Wilson wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >

    >> Okay. But what about the 3 jacks on the mother board? I still don't know
    >> whether those are the right ones or not...

    Hey Ed,

    > The way you describe them they sound like the right connector, but doing a
    > search on google for jatd motherboard brought up a picture and table where
    > jatd is the label for the modem interface(my creative soundblater live has
    > one of these next to the CD input).

    I am not sure that's what it says. Don't have a magnifying glass....It was
    an intelligent guess. Might be a "1" at the end.

    > Do any of the other jacks have labels?

    That seemed to be the label for all three of them, which are enclosed by
    a line drawn on the motherboard.

    There are no other jacks that I can see on the motherboard.

    > If you could give the gateway model number I could try and convice google
    > to inform us of the motherboard layout so I could give you a definite
    > answer.

    There's a sticker on the back that says "Gateway 300S PRB PC". I googled
    for it and just found some irrelevant stuff on a mailing list, but it is
    very possible, even obvious :-) that you are better with google than I
    am.

    Thanks a lot,

    Tom

  13. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:59:46 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    >> Well you need to get the cable and try. The suggestions for other

    cards
    >> are if you can't get it working. Also look real hard now on the mobo

    for
    >> a hint. All modern boards now have silk screened the print on these
    >> things and you hardly need to refer to the manual anymore. Older boards
    >> were not so accomadating.

    >> They'll name the socket "AUX" or "CD", something like that.

    > Okay. But will you please give a definite yes, no, or maybe on those three
    > sockets on my motherboard? I have asked you twice already and you haven't
    > responded.

    Should be. Cant answer definitely because of the nature of gateway
    products at that time. When I encounter a situation where I have no
    manual I have to feel my way along. If I could look at the mobo I could
    tell you in 10 seconds

    >> Just leave the case cover off and try one then the other if the first
    >> one doesn't work. Be sure to always power down when changing mobo
    >> connectors. I power down and pull the power cord from the power supply
    >> for 10 seconds myself before making a cable change.

    > That sort of detail is very much appreciated.

    >> Unfortunately I've found these little cables are sometimes hard to find
    >> in stores like CompUSA. If you can't find one there try a small shop.
    >> Usually they cannabilize old machines and keep parts like these for when
    >> needed. As I said there's been one included with every CD or DVD drive
    >> I've ever bought.Oh here you go...
    >>
    >> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...&Ntt=cd+audio+
    >> cable&N=0&df=0&Nty=1&Ntk=All&product_code=294966
    >>
    >> or...
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2jkgln
    >>
    >> In fact if you carry the box there with the case open they might just
    >> sell you one and plug it in for free! It only takes a few seconds.

    > OKay.
    >

    >> BTW, you can use workbone in a VT to test it if you like, again the
    >> simplest way to test things. See if you have it installed (which
    >> workbone).
    >>
    >> workbone: workbone (text-based CD player)
    >>
    >> workbone: WorkBone is a simple interactive tool for for playing audio
    >> CDs from the Linux console.
    >>
    >> If not...
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.slackware.no/pub/linux/sla.../slackware/ap/
    >> workbone-2.40-i386-3.tgz
    >>
    >> or...
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2ajq93
    >>

    > I will install it.
    >
    >> Have you gotten your slocate database up to date yet? Might want to do
    >> that because here pretty soon you gonna need to find things easily.

    > I use locate. Quite sick of all these paranoid telling me that I have

    > be paranoid too, and insisting that I keep downloading large, complex
    > packages that in the long run just make my operating system more complex
    > and therefore less secure. At best.

    LOL. Locate is a symbolic link to slocate. I always use the locate
    invocation myself - One less letter to type :-)

    Yeah too many confuse security for a business setting with the home
    settings. The demands are very different and as such so should be the
    methodology.

    Anyway the best security measure is to have good backups.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-22, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:59:46 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> Well you need to get the cable and try. The suggestions for other

    > cards
    >>> are if you can't get it working. Also look real hard now on the mobo

    > for
    >>> a hint. All modern boards now have silk screened the print on these
    >>> things and you hardly need to refer to the manual anymore. Older boards
    >>> were not so accomadating.

    >>> They'll name the socket "AUX" or "CD", something like that.

    >> Okay. But will you please give a definite yes, no, or maybe on those three
    >> sockets on my motherboard? I have asked you twice already and you haven't
    >> responded.

    Hey Ron,

    > Should be. Cant answer definitely because of the nature of gateway
    > products at that time. When I encounter a situation where I have no
    > manual I have to feel my way along. If I could look at the mobo I could
    > tell you in 10 seconds

    Wish I had a digital camera....

    >>> Have you gotten your slocate database up to date yet? Might want to do
    >>> that because here pretty soon you gonna need to find things easily.

    >> I use locate. Quite sick of all these paranoid telling me that I have

    >> be paranoid too, and insisting that I keep downloading large, complex
    >> packages that in the long run just make my operating system more complex
    >> and therefore less secure. At best.

    > LOL. Locate is a symbolic link to slocate. I always use the locate
    > invocation myself - One less letter to type :-)

    Rats! So it is. I'll fix that.

    Plain old locate must still be around.

    > Yeah too many confuse security for a business setting with the home
    > settings. The demands are very different and as such so should be the
    > methodology.

    Exactly! Thanks for putting it in perspective.

    > Anyway the best security measure is to have good backups.

    I am looking for a second computer that I can use as a hardware and
    software backup. There's this app called rsync that it looks like I
    can use to do the job.

    Speaking of security, I have no firewall at all. It looks like I
    need to install iptables, but I'm afraid doing so will screw up
    my internet connection. I have no idea how to configure it.

    Any thoughts? I've been reading up on the subject and I think I
    just need to block any attempts to connect to my box that aren't
    initiated by me.

    Tom

  15. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 01:48:36 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > There's a sticker on the back that says "Gateway 300S PRB PC". I
    > googled for it and just found some irrelevant stuff on a mailing
    > list, but it is very possible, even obvious :-) that you are better
    > with google than I am.

    OK. Here's the sad news. It's a 2001 computer and a Gateway at that. You
    have two choices.

    1) Just get the damn cable and try it out.

    2) Pay someone to do it

    I've built many machines and have had those panic phone calls where
    someone tells me the thing-a-majig does not work and the internet is
    slow.

    What is wrong?

    I've literally had to hang up people trying to explain that I have no
    idea unless I can see the machine in action and/or open it up. Hell as
    I'm hanging up they are still babbling as fast as they can go.

    Hardware troubleshooting is different. It takes getting under the hood.
    You wouldn't expect a mechanic to tell you how to fix a bad water pump
    on your car over the phone right? Same deal here. It's takes an
    experienced eye and the ailing motor in the shop.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  16. Re: Basic Sound Configuration -postscript -postscript

    On 2007-11-22, Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 01:48:36 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> There's a sticker on the back that says "Gateway 300S PRB PC". I
    >> googled for it and just found some irrelevant stuff on a mailing
    >> list, but it is very possible, even obvious :-) that you are better
    >> with google than I am.

    > OK. Here's the sad news. It's a 2001 computer and a Gateway at that. You
    > have two choices.

    Works good and has lasted 6 years. That's not bad.

    > 1) Just get the damn cable and try it out.
    >
    > 2) Pay someone to do it

    Okay.

    > I've built many machines and have had those panic phone calls where
    > someone tells me the thing-a-majig does not work and the internet is
    > slow.
    >
    > What is wrong?
    >
    > I've literally had to hang up people trying to explain that I have no
    > idea unless I can see the machine in action and/or open it up. Hell as
    > I'm hanging up they are still babbling as fast as they can go.
    >
    > Hardware troubleshooting is different. It takes getting under the hood.
    > You wouldn't expect a mechanic to tell you how to fix a bad water pump
    > on your car over the phone right?

    Maybe if he had Windows? (bad joke)

    > Same deal here. It's takes an
    > experienced eye and the ailing motor in the shop.

    Yeh. I follow. I'll get a cable and try it, being careful
    to follow your instructions in the other post.

    Thanks a lot, Ron,

    Tom

    --
    simpleman.s43
    That would be at gee male

  17. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:52:41 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > I see. (After reading Richard's post Malicious hackers might have
    > inserted code into flac files on some websites.

    Close. They could craft an attack file that looked like a music file but
    did something nasty when played.

    There is quite a lot of (legal!) free stuff at music.download.com.

    > So I haven't downloaded any music from the web. Just been copying my CDs
    > to disk, so I should be okay.

    Should be fine, depending on the CDs. Some of that stuff will rot your
    brain, y'know.

    I'm playing safe this week and just put American Idiot on endless repeat
    :-)

    > The malicious code probably doesn't work on Linux anyway, right?

    Sadly, it could, although it doesn't appear to have been created yet, only
    the possibility has been identified.

    More worrying, security-wise, than that is this:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7106826.stm

    Government clearly doesn't take care of people's data....

  18. Re: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:52:48 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > On 2007-11-21, Mark South wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 08:34:30 +1000, Richard James wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...someone could possibly inject poison into beer in a
    >>> bottle shop.

    >> What are you trying to do, ruin everyone's day or something?

    > :-)
    >
    > Google the subject of astronomers who watch the skies because they
    > are afraid that some giant meteorite might strike the planet.

    I photographed some of those with a 2-metre telescope back in my
    astronomical days.

    > "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" --Henny Penny

    Yea, I can live with the threat of meteorite strike, but not with poisoned
    beer!

  19. OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    Mark,
    On 2007-11-22, Mark South wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:52:41 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >
    >> I see. (After reading Richard's post Malicious hackers might have
    >> inserted code into flac files on some websites.

    > Close. They could craft an attack file that looked like a music file but
    > did something nasty when played.

    Sure. And an Arab terrorist could put a bomb under my porch.

    When you first posted, I thought you were talking about a real
    danger.

    Instead, it's just paranoid non-sense.

    I'll pass.

    Thanks for the lead on the mp3 site. I'm checking it out.

    Bit overwhelming. Now that everyone can record something resembling
    music, and publish it, with the help of computers, the amount of
    garbage out there is staggering.

    I'll have to find some way of narrowing down the artists to
    check out without spending half my life downloading tunes.

    About some music rotting one's brain.

    Sure. Most popular music is sex-obsessive stuff that isn't healthy
    to listen to too much of. I don't.

    Don't have a TV either. I'm the only one in this area that doesn't
    have cable, and it drives the poor fascist cable company nuts. They
    harassed me for over a year with giant, full-color cards in the mail,
    sometimes several a day, and endless phone calls.

    When that didn't work, they showed up one day with a truck, intending
    to give me free cable. I had to call the police to get rid of them.
    They couldn't believe that I would turn down their 'free gift' and
    were going to install it whether I liked it or not!

    Tom

  20. Re: OT Re: Music and Paranoia was: CDRW reading (was: Basic Sound Configuration.*

    On 2007-11-22, Tom N wrote:
    > Mark,
    > On 2007-11-22, Mark South wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:52:41 +0100, Tom N wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see. (After reading Richard's post Malicious hackers might have
    >>> inserted code into flac files on some websites.

    >> Close. They could craft an attack file that looked like a music file but
    >> did something nasty when played.

    > Sure. And an Arab terrorist could put a bomb under my porch.
    >
    > When you first posted, I thought you were talking about a real
    > danger.
    >
    > Instead, it's just paranoid non-sense.
    >
    > I'll pass.

    That's a bit harsh. I realize that you meant well, and I thank
    you for that.

    It's just that there are enough dangers in the world with a
    fairly high probabability of manifesting themselves, and I
    simply will not worry about the low probability stuff.

    Start down that path with a computer and pretty soon
    you have five gigabytes of software devoted to analyzing every
    packet that comes and goes out and constantly scanning
    your files and using up RAM.

    All of it written by near-paranoids (referencing the
    clinical psychiatric definition of the mental illness)
    who are so obsessed with fighting Evil Crackers that they can
    justify any clandestine invasion of your privacy,
    just like the same sort of people do on the physical level,
    fighting Evil Terrorists.

    I do have to set up a basic firewall, though. I may not
    worry about burglars, but I lock my door...

    I hope you'll accept my apology and suffer my ramblings,
    Mark.

    Tom