    prompt screen. Did I miss something in the upgrade? Any help would be
    appreciated.

  2. Re: xfce problem...

    On 2007-11-15, warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm running slackware 11 and I've just upgraded xfce to version 4.4.1.
    > When I start xfce it appears to start but I only get a black screen
    > with a mouse. I have to shutdown the PC in order for me to get to a
    > prompt screen. Did I miss something in the upgrade? Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    Wow. Lots of questions come to mind.

    First, there is no official Xfce 4.4.1 package for Xfce, so how
    did you upgrade to it? Did you:
    1. Build from source, on module at a time?
    2. Build from source with Pat's SlackBuild script (modified)?
    3. Use the installer on Xfce's site?
    4. Use an unofficial package?

    If #1, then have fun - I'm not even going to try and debug it.

    If #2, maybe.

    If #3, uninstall it and we'll go from there - that installer is,
    um, well, not what I'd recommend.

    If #4, from what location? Ask the packager for to support his
    packages. If that happens to be me, then I'm all ears. :-)

    -RW

  3. Re: xfce problem...

    On 2007-11-15, warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm running slackware 11 and I've just upgraded xfce to version 4.4.1.
    > When I start xfce it appears to start but I only get a black screen
    > with a mouse. I have to shutdown the PC in order for me to get to a
    > prompt screen. Did I miss something in the upgrade? Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    You have perhaps gone to a lot of trouble when Slackware _12_ has a
    nicely packaged xfce 4.4.1 that workd brilliantly?

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet

  4. Re: xfce problem...

    On Nov 15, 8:02 pm, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2007-11-15, warpman...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running slackware 11 and I've just upgraded xfce to version 4.4.1.
    > > When I start xfce it appears to start but I only get a black screen
    > > with a mouse. I have to shutdown the PC in order for me to get to a
    > > prompt screen. Did I miss something in the upgrade? Any help would be
    > > appreciated.

    > Wow. Lots of questions come to mind.
    >
    > First, there is no official Xfce 4.4.1 package for Xfce, so how
    > did you upgrade to it? Did you:
    > 1. Build from source, on module at a time?
    > 2. Build from source with Pat's SlackBuild script (modified)?
    > 3. Use the installer on Xfce's site?
    > 4. Use an unofficial package?
    >
    > If #1, then have fun - I'm not even going to try and debug it.
    >
    > If #2, maybe.
    >
    > If #3, uninstall it and we'll go from there - that installer is,
    > um, well, not what I'd recommend.
    >
    > If #4, from what location? Ask the packager for to support his
    > packages. If that happens to be me, then I'm all ears. :-)
    >
    > -RW

    I used slapt-get and downloaded the following version:

    xfce-4.4.1-i486-5 in slackware/xap
    xfce (a fast and lightweight desktop environment for X)

    xfce is a fast and lightweight desktop environment that is both
    visually appealing and easy to use.

  5. Re: xfce problem...

    warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm running slackware 11 and I've just upgraded xfce to version 4.4.1.
    > When I start xfce it appears to start but I only get a black screen
    > with a mouse. I have to shutdown the PC in order for me to get to a
    > prompt screen. Did I miss something in the upgrade? Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    Did you run xwmconfig after the upgrade?

  6. Re: xfce problem...

    On 2007-11-16, warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Nov 15, 8:02 pm, Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-15, warpman...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm running slackware 11 and I've just upgraded xfce to version 4.4.1.
    >> > When I start xfce it appears to start but I only get a black screen
    >> > with a mouse. I have to shutdown the PC in order for me to get to a
    >> > prompt screen. Did I miss something in the upgrade? Any help would be
    >> > appreciated.

    >> Wow. Lots of questions come to mind.
    >>
    >> First, there is no official Xfce 4.4.1 package for Xfce, so how
    >> did you upgrade to it?
    >> SNIPPED remainder

    > I used slapt-get and downloaded the following version:
    >
    > xfce-4.4.1-i486-5 in slackware/xap

    And another slapt-get user bites the dust.

    Maybe you didn't understand when I said "there is no official
    Xfce 4.4.1 package" (probably because I said "for Xfce" when
    I mean to say "for Slackware 11"). In other words, you have
    just told slapt-get to use a 12.0 package on 11.0. It's not
    going to work, regardless of how many times you run xwmconfig
    or various other things. It's built against libraries that
    are not even present in Slackware 11.

    -RW

  7. Re: xfce problem...

    On 2007-11-16, andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-11-15, warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I'm running slackware 11 and I've just upgraded xfce to version 4.4.1.
    >> When I start xfce it appears to start but I only get a black screen
    >> with a mouse. I have to shutdown the PC in order for me to get to a
    >> prompt screen. Did I miss something in the upgrade? Any help would be
    >> appreciated.

    > You have perhaps gone to a lot of trouble when Slackware _12_ has a
    > nicely packaged xfce 4.4.1 that workd brilliantly?

    If you're implying that the person should *upgrade* to 12.0, then
    yeah, good point. Otherwise, note that he's running 11.0, so the
    12.0 package isn't going to work *AT ALL* - much less brilliantly.

    -RW

  8. Re: xfce problem...

    On 2007-11-16, warpman999@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I used slapt-get and downloaded the following version:
    >
    > xfce-4.4.1-i486-5 in slackware/xap

    Har! LOL! There's your problem.

    This is what often happens when you use slapt-get. Hopefully a lesson
    learned for you.

    For you (other) n00bs who may be reading, if you want to use a "package
    manager", please see tagline below.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  9. Re: xfce problem...

    I need to clarify what I wrote here - as it could be interpreted
    in a way that I didn't intend...

    On 2007-11-17, Robby Workman wrote:

    > And another slapt-get user bites the dust.

    This is not to say that slapt-get did anything wrong. In fact,
    it didn't - it did *exactly* what the user told it to do.
    The user was at fault - not slapt-get.

    -RW

  10. Re: xfce problem...

    Robby Workman says:

    >And another slapt-get user bites the dust.

    >Maybe you didn't understand when I said "there is no official
    >Xfce 4.4.1 package" (probably because I said "for Xfce" when
    >I mean to say "for Slackware 11"). In other words, you have
    >just told slapt-get to use a 12.0 package on 11.0. It's not
    >going to work, regardless of how many times you run xwmconfig
    >or various other things. It's built against libraries that
    >are not even present in Slackware 11.

    This is just another example of why _all_ package managers cease to
    be useful once the OS is actually installed.

    Or again, because some of you are really thick, you should _never_
    install a package on a system that is already up and running.

    _Always_ compile from source. Always, unless, for some stupid
    reason the source is not available, and then you should consider
    whether you want the application on your system.

    Always compile. Never use packages. Packages are for newbies and
    idiots.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: xfce problem...

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Always compile. Never use packages. Packages are for newbies and
    > idiots.

    what about the lazy, don't we get love?

  12. Re: xfce problem...

    Dan C wrote:
    >This is what often happens when you use slapt-get. Hopefully a lesson
    >learned for you.

    It works quite well for security updates, in my experience.

    -Beej

  13. Re: xfce problem...

    jim dorey says:
    >Realto Margarino wrote:

    >> Always compile. Never use packages. Packages are for newbies and
    >> idiots.

    >what about the lazy, don't we get love?

    Packages on the whole, are for more work than they're worth. We
    have a special feeling for the idiots who compile programs and then
    create packages and only install the program using the package.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  14. Re: xfce problem...

    Hallo, jim,

    Du (skaar) meintest am 20.11.07:

    > Realto Margarino wrote:

    >> Always compile. Never use packages. Packages are for newbies and
    >> idiots.

    > what about the lazy, don't we get love?

    If I want to compile every packet then I choose Gentoo, not slackware.

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut

  15. Re: xfce problem...

    Helmut Hullen says:
    >Hallo, jim,

    >Du (skaar) meintest am 20.11.07:

    >> Realto Margarino wrote:

    >>> Always compile. Never use packages. Packages are for newbies and
    >>> idiots.

    >> what about the lazy, don't we get love?

    >If I want to compile every packet then I choose Gentoo, not slackware.

    Once installed there is very little difference between any of the
    distributions. No matter what you're running, you should always
    compile.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  16. Re: xfce problem...

    Hallo, Realto,

    Du (rm) meintest am 24.11.07:

    >> If I want to compile every packet then I choose Gentoo, not
    >> slackware.

    > Once installed there is very little difference between any of the
    > distributions. No matter what you're running, you should always
    > compile.

    No.

    Viele Gruesse!
    Helmut