Desperation time - multimedia blank! - Slackware

This is a discussion on Desperation time - multimedia blank! - Slackware ; First off, thanks for all the help on the sound problem I posted about. This time, I figured I'd fix the problem myself without help. When I first installed slackware, the video worked, but I had no sound. Now that ...

  1. Desperation time - multimedia blank!

    First off, thanks for all the help on the sound problem I posted about.
    This time, I figured I'd fix the problem myself without help. When I
    first installed slackware, the video worked, but I had no sound. Now
    that the sound is fixed, mpg, wmv, avi, dvd etc. all play but show a
    blank screen, regardless of which multimedia application I use.

    I decided to install Kaffeine, and followed all the installation
    recommendations, including downloading and installing the win32 codecs
    and the libdvdcss. Kaffeine loads without complaining, but still the dvd
    I am trying to play gives a blank screen. Playing my test mpeg also
    yields a blank screen. All other video features of KDE appear to be
    functioning flawlessly. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 w 64M memory,
    configured with the default Radeon driver, and it offers 1600x1200 at 24
    bit color depth and a high refresh rate. Sure doesn't look like a
    problem with the video driver. Jpeg still video displays fine in Kview.

    My guess is that something got munged in the video playback drivers
    somewhere along the line (duh). The problem is, how do I find it, and
    how do I fix it? The web is full of forums where this problem is posted,
    but no answers are given. I've even seen posted, "Oh never mind, I fixed
    the problem," with no explanation given of what was done to fix the
    problem.

  2. Re: Desperation time - multimedia blank!

    On Nov 14, 5:56 pm, Charlie Siegrist
    wrote:
    > First off, thanks for all the help on the sound problem I posted about.
    > This time, I figured I'd fix the problem myself without help. When I
    > first installed slackware, the video worked, but I had no sound. Now
    > that the sound is fixed, mpg, wmv, avi, dvd etc. all play but show a
    > blank screen, regardless of which multimedia application I use.
    >
    > I decided to install Kaffeine, and followed all the installation
    > recommendations, including downloading and installing the win32 codecs
    > and the libdvdcss. Kaffeine loads without complaining, but still the dvd
    > I am trying to play gives a blank screen. Playing my test mpeg also
    > yields a blank screen. All other video features of KDE appear to be
    > functioning flawlessly. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 w 64M memory,
    > configured with the default Radeon driver, and it offers 1600x1200 at 24
    > bit color depth and a high refresh rate. Sure doesn't look like a
    > problem with the video driver. Jpeg still video displays fine in Kview.
    >
    > My guess is that something got munged in the video playback drivers
    > somewhere along the line (duh). The problem is, how do I find it, and
    > how do I fix it? The web is full of forums where this problem is posted,
    > but no answers are given. I've even seen posted, "Oh never mind, I fixed
    > the problem," with no explanation given of what was done to fix the
    > problem.

    Give mplayer a try, it is smart enough to know if it's dumping into a
    blank screen, and it gives vast rafts of debugging output, most of
    which is annoyingly useless, but some of which may tell you exactly
    what's going wrong...

  3. Re: Desperation time - multimedia blank!

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:19:20 -0800, Chris Sorenson wrote:

    > On Nov 14, 5:56 pm, Charlie Siegrist
    > wrote:
    >> First off, thanks for all the help on the sound problem I posted about.
    >> This time, I figured I'd fix the problem myself without help. When I
    >> first installed slackware, the video worked, but I had no sound. Now
    >> that the sound is fixed, mpg, wmv, avi, dvd etc. all play but show a
    >> blank screen, regardless of which multimedia application I use.
    >>
    >> I decided to install Kaffeine, and followed all the installation
    >> recommendations, including downloading and installing the win32 codecs
    >> and the libdvdcss. Kaffeine loads without complaining, but still the
    >> dvd I am trying to play gives a blank screen. Playing my test mpeg
    >> also yields a blank screen. All other video features of KDE appear to
    >> be functioning flawlessly. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 w 64M memory,
    >> configured with the default Radeon driver, and it offers 1600x1200 at
    >> 24 bit color depth and a high refresh rate. Sure doesn't look like a
    >> problem with the video driver. Jpeg still video displays fine in
    >> Kview.
    >>
    >> My guess is that something got munged in the video playback drivers
    >> somewhere along the line (duh). The problem is, how do I find it, and
    >> how do I fix it? The web is full of forums where this problem is
    >> posted, but no answers are given. I've even seen posted, "Oh never
    >> mind, I fixed the problem," with no explanation given of what was done
    >> to fix the problem.

    > Give mplayer a try, it is smart enough to know if it's dumping into a
    > blank screen, and it gives vast rafts of debugging output, most of which
    > is annoyingly useless, but some of which may tell you exactly what's
    > going wrong...

    Thanks for the response. Persistance pays off, I found a solution to the
    problem while tinkering with the engine settings in Kaffeine. The default
    video setting is "auto," letting the system/app pick the video engine. I
    started selecting different engines - most produced an error message, but
    'xshm' loaded and produced viewable video from dvd and multimedia files.
    The video is choppy, and the audio loses sync and dies in some files, but
    that's because I'm running on a very slow platform. When I get things
    running so that I am comfortable, I'm going to slap linux hard drives in
    the two machines I have with faster processors.

    Meanwhile I've figured out a bunch of stuff about user management and
    package installation. Frustrating so far, but I'm learning, and it's
    going to be nice to have a platform that is ultimately very controllable.
    This takes dedication. :-)

  4. Re: Desperation time - multimedia blank!

    Charlie Siegrist wrote :

    > The problem is, how do I find it, and how do I fix it?

    I think you should try start Xine using the "xshm" driver and see if it
    helps:
    $ xine -V XShm
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: Desperation time - multimedia blank!

    Charles Martin Siegrist wrote :

    > but 'xshm' loaded and produced viewable video from dvd and multimedia
    > files.

    Thats because the driver you are using for your graphics doesn't support
    Xv. What card is it?
    --
    Thomas O.

  6. Re: Desperation time - multimedia blank!

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:04:47 +0100, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Charles Martin Siegrist wrote :
    >
    >> but 'xshm' loaded and produced viewable video from dvd and multimedia
    >> files.

    > Thats because the driver you are using for your graphics doesn't support
    > Xv. What card is it?

    Radeon 7000 w. 64M, using the generic 'radeon' driver.

+ Reply to Thread