utf-8 vs man pages - Slackware

This is a discussion on utf-8 vs man pages - Slackware ; Hi, I am running Slackware 12 with an utf-8 locale: andrew@ilium~$ locale LANG=en_AU.utf8 LC_CTYPE="en_AU.utf8" LC_NUMERIC="en_AU.utf8" LC_TIME="en_AU.utf8" LC_COLLATE=C LC_MONETARY="en_AU.utf8" LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.utf8" LC_PAPER="en_AU.utf8" LC_NAME="en_AU.utf8" LC_ADDRESS="en_AU.utf8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU.utf8" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU.utf8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU.utf8" LC_ALL= I was having some trouble with a few man pages that displayed the following ...

  1. utf-8 vs man pages

    Hi,

    I am running Slackware 12 with an utf-8 locale:

    andrew@ilium~$ locale
    LANG=en_AU.utf8
    LC_CTYPE="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_TIME="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_PAPER="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_NAME="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU.utf8"
    LC_ALL=

    I was having some trouble with a few man pages that displayed the
    following characters:

    MP3ENCODERSYNTAX
    Specifies the style of encoder to use for the MP3 encoder. Valid options
    are lame (default for MP3), gogo, bladeenc,
    l3enc and mp3enc.

    I attempted to change the locale for man pages only by adding the
    following to ~/.bashrc:

    alias man='LC_ALL=C man'

    But this has made no difference. Using xfce Terminal with Monospace
    13. Have I missed something basic?

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet

  2. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    andrew wrote:

    > MP3ENCODERSYNTAX
    > Specifies the style of encoder to use for the MP3 encoder. Valid options
    > are lame (default for MP3), gogo, bladeenc,
    > l3enc and mp3enc.
    >
    > I attempted to change the locale for man pages only by adding the
    > following to ~/.bashrc:
    >
    > alias man='LC_ALL=C man'
    >
    > But this has made no difference. Using xfce Terminal with Monospace
    > 13. Have I missed something basic?

    setting LANG to an non-UTF8 encoding works for me, so:

    alias man='LANG=en_AU man'

    Jeffrey

  3. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    On 2007-11-15, Jeffrey Froman wrote:
    > andrew wrote:
    >

    >> MP3ENCODERSYNTAX
    >> Specifies the style of encoder to use for the MP3 encoder. Valid options
    >> are lame (default for MP3), gogo, bladeenc,
    >> l3enc and mp3enc.
    >>
    >> I attempted to change the locale for man pages only by adding the
    >> following to ~/.bashrc:
    >>
    >> alias man='LC_ALL=C man'

    [...]

    > setting LANG to an non-UTF8 encoding works for me, so:
    >
    > alias man='LANG=en_AU man'

    I must be getting warm, the setting above gives:

    MP3ENCODERSYNTAX
    Specifies the style of encoder to use for the MP3 encoder. Valid
    options are �lame� (default for MP3), �gogo�,�bladeenc�,
    �l3enc� and �mp3enc�. Affects the same way asexplained above
    for Ogg/Vorbis.

    I shall experiment a little with this.

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet
    I grieve for the thing done, the death, and all our race.
    I have won; but my victory is soiled, and has no pride.

  4. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    andrew wrote:
    > I attempted to change the locale for man pages only by adding the
    > following to ~/.bashrc:
    >
    > alias man='LC_ALL=C man'

    That will change the value of $LC_* but not of $LANG as the
    following experiment shows.

    kees@lankhmar:~$ locale
    LANG=en_US
    LC_CTYPE="en_US"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
    LC_TIME="en_US"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY="en_US"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
    LC_PAPER="en_US"
    LC_NAME="en_US"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
    LC_ALL=
    kees@lankhmar:~$ LC_ALL=C locale
    LANG=en_US
    LC_CTYPE="C"
    LC_NUMERIC="C"
    LC_TIME="C"
    LC_COLLATE="C"
    LC_MONETARY="C"
    LC_MESSAGES="C"
    LC_PAPER="C"
    LC_NAME="C"
    LC_ADDRESS="C"
    LC_TELEPHONE="C"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
    LC_ALL=C

    But defining an alias like
    alias man='LANG=C man'
    should do the job.
    That will set $LANG and $LC_*

    kees@lankhmar:~$ LANG=C locale
    LANG=C
    LC_CTYPE="C"
    LC_NUMERIC="C"
    LC_TIME="C"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY="C"
    LC_MESSAGES="C"
    LC_PAPER="C"
    LC_NAME="C"
    LC_ADDRESS="C"
    LC_TELEPHONE="C"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
    LC_ALL=

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  5. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    andrew wrote:

    > I am running Slackware 12 with an utf-8 locale:

    > I was having some trouble with a few man pages that displayed the
    > following characters:

    Have you tested with LESSCHARSET=utf-8 ?

    --
    A: Top Posters! | s/y Charlotta |
    Harald H Hannelius | harald (At) iki (dot) fi | GSM +358 50 594 1020

  6. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    On 2007-11-19, Harald Hannelius wrote:
    > andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Slackware 12 with an utf-8 locale:

    >> I was having some trouble with a few man pages that displayed the
    >> following characters:

    > Have you tested with LESSCHARSET=utf-8 ?

    I have now :-) To tell the truth nothing I have tried has made much
    difference to a few recalcitrant man pages. Specifically:

    man cdrecord: Schilys USER COMMANDS
    man abcde: Pads track numbers with 0s.

    so I have decided to just live with it; most man pages render well and
    I have been spending a /lot/ of time chasing this relatively minor
    issue. Still niggles a little though ....

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet
    I grieve for the thing done, the death, and all our race.
    I have won; but my victory is soiled, and has no pride.

  7. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    andrew wrote:
    >On 2007-11-19, Harald Hannelius wrote:
    >> andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running Slackware 12 with an utf-8 locale:

    >>> I was having some trouble with a few man pages that displayed the
    >>> following characters:

    >> Have you tested with LESSCHARSET=utf-8 ?

    >I have now :-) To tell the truth nothing I have tried has made much
    >difference to a few recalcitrant man pages. Specifically:
    >
    >man cdrecord: Schilys USER COMMANDS
    >man abcde: Pads track numbers with 0s.
    >
    >so I have decided to just live with it; most man pages render well and
    >I have been spending a /lot/ of time chasing this relatively minor
    >issue. Still niggles a little though ....

    Try this:

    man -P 'less -r' cdrecord

    If that works for you, in ~/.bashrc change PAGER=less to
    PAGER='less -r'.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson

  8. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    On 2007-11-20, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > andrew wrote:

    [...]

    >>> Have you tested with LESSCHARSET=utf-8 ?

    >>I have now :-) To tell the truth nothing I have tried has made much
    >>difference to a few recalcitrant man pages. Specifically:
    >>
    >>man cdrecord: Schilys USER COMMANDS
    >>man abcde: Pads track numbers with 0s.

    [...]

    > Try this:
    >
    > man -P 'less -r' cdrecord
    >
    > If that works for you, in ~/.bashrc change PAGER=less to
    > PAGER='less -r'.

    Tried the command line version with this result:

    Schily�s USER COMMANDS

    Thanks for the suggestion though!

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet
    I grieve for the thing done, the death, and all our race.
    I have won; but my victory is soiled, and has no pride.

  9. Re: utf-8 vs man pages

    andrew wrote:
    >On 2007-11-20, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >> andrew wrote:

    >[...]
    >>>
    >>>I have now :-) To tell the truth nothing I have tried has made much
    >>>difference to a few recalcitrant man pages. Specifically:
    >>>
    >>>man cdrecord: Schilys USER COMMANDS
    >>>man abcde: Pads track numbers with 0s.

    >[...]
    >
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> man -P 'less -r' cdrecord
    >>
    >> If that works for you, in ~/.bashrc change PAGER=less to
    >> PAGER='less -r'.

    >Tried the command line version with this result:
    >
    >Schily�s USER COMMANDS
    >
    >Thanks for the suggestion though!

    Okay. Try this,

    LESSCHARSET=ascii man -P 'less -r' cdrecord

    Which I don't expect to work either, but it's worth
    checking.

    Then, read the man page for /less/, and search on
    "LESSUTFBINFMT" I'm not sure exactly what will work, but
    that is the way to solve it.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson