PST to PDT - Slackware

This is a discussion on PST to PDT - Slackware ; Will someone tell me, please, how to get my time here switched from PST to PDT? Being a single user, I don't want to install ntpd. Tom...

  1. PST to PDT

    Will someone tell me, please, how to get
    my time here switched from PST to PDT?

    Being a single user, I don't want to install
    ntpd.

    Tom

  2. Re: PST to PDT

    Tom N. wrote :

    > Will someone tell me, please, how to get
    > my time here switched from PST to PDT?

    Run 'timeconfig' as root.

    > Being a single user, I don't want to install
    > ntpd.

    Check out rdate-1.5:

    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: PST to PDT

    On 2007-11-13, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Tom N. wrote :
    >
    >> Will someone tell me, please, how to get
    >> my time here switched from PST to PDT?
    >>

    > Run 'timeconfig' as root.

    I've got that application, but no man page. Tried
    timeconfig --help and it started the program,
    which I cancelled for now.

    >> Being a single user, I don't want to install
    >> ntpd.

    > Check out rdate-1.5:

    Got it and it compiled just fine and once I found
    a timeserver with google it worked just fine, too.

    Did rdate -s 128.118.25.3 and it blanked my
    screen, which was corrected with a keystroke.

    No indication of a problem in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages
    and my time is now correct.

    Thanks again, Thomas.

    Tom

  4. Re: PST to PDT

    Tom N. wrote :

    > I've got that application, but no man page.

    Its a ncurses program made for Slackware only, but in short:

    The first screen let you choose whether your harwareclock should run UTC
    or local time, if you are duel booting with M$Windows choose local time
    else UTC.

    Next screen let you set your local time zone. You must have seen this
    when you installed Slackware.

    > Did rdate -s 128.118.25.3 and it blanked my
    > screen, which was corrected with a keystroke.

    This happens when the difference in time is big, if its only a few
    seconds you wont see this.
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: PST to PDT

    On 2007-11-14, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > Tom N. wrote :
    >
    >> I've got that application, but no man page.

    > Its a ncurses program made for Slackware only, but in short:
    >
    > The first screen let you choose whether your harwareclock should run UTC
    > or local time, if you are duel booting with M$Windows choose local time
    > else UTC.
    >
    > Next screen let you set your local time zone. You must have seen this
    > when you installed Slackware.
    >>
    >> Did rdate -s 128.118.25.3 and it blanked my
    >> screen, which was corrected with a keystroke.
    >>

    > This happens when the difference in time is big, if its only a few
    > seconds you wont see this.

    Thomas,

    I reread the manpage. Should have used this option:
    -a Adjust time gradually, rather than in a big jump.

    Should have carefully read the manpage in the first place, actually.

    This sure was a good solution to the clocksetting problem. Thanks
    again.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread