V 12.0 no sound :-( - Slackware

This is a discussion on V 12.0 no sound :-( - Slackware ; Hi all, New to linux, but not BSD (been ages, though). Anyway, got Slackware v12.0 installed. Thanks to notes on this group, I have sucessfully configured my video card past the default settings. I searched the past six months and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Hi all,

    New to linux, but not BSD (been ages, though). Anyway, got Slackware
    v12.0 installed. Thanks to notes on this group, I have sucessfully
    configured my video card past the default settings. I searched the past
    six months and didn't find any threads on configuring sound. I've
    configured and saved alsamixer, but no help. Have searched several web
    sites to no avail, too much confusing information. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Charlie Siegrist wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > New to linux, but not BSD (been ages, though). Anyway, got Slackware
    > v12.0 installed. Thanks to notes on this group, I have sucessfully
    > configured my video card past the default settings. I searched the past
    > six months and didn't find any threads on configuring sound. I've
    > configured and saved alsamixer, but no help. Have searched several web
    > sites to no avail, too much confusing information. Any suggestions?
    > Thanks.

    Have you run alsaconf?

    If you're using one of the Slackware kernels, it should be able to
    detect your sound hardware and load the appropriate module(s). You
    can find out what modules are loaded with /sbin/lsmod...

  3. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Charlie Siegrist wrote:

    > configured my video card past the default settings. I searched the past
    > six months and didn't find any threads on configuring sound. I've
    > configured and saved alsamixer, but no help. Have searched several web

    Hmm, the only sound config I had to do for 12 was with "alsamixer" and
    "alsactl store". It used to be you had to add yourself to the correct
    group, but that hasn't been the case for a while. Maybe give running
    "aumix" a try (X app) so you can experiment with settings to see what works?

    - Kurt

  4. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:47:22 -0600, Chris Sorenson wrote:

    > Have you run alsaconf?
    >
    > If you're using one of the Slackware kernels, it should be able to
    > detect your sound hardware and load the appropriate module(s). You can
    > find out what modules are loaded with /sbin/lsmod...

    Thanks! I ran alsaconf, and it picked up the integrated AC97 sound chip
    on the motherboard. I can play sounds now, using "madplay" as root, and
    I get sound from X windows multimedia apps. Running madplay as user (or
    as root in superuser terminal while running user Xwindows), though, gives
    "Device or resource busy," and mulitmedia X programs like Amarok play the
    file but give no sound output, as before.

    Might I have better results if I plug in a soundblaster card? Or is this
    problem unrelated to hardware if the configuration worked as root?

  5. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Charlie Siegrist wrote:

    > Thanks! I ran alsaconf, and it picked up the integrated AC97 sound chip
    > on the motherboard. I can play sounds now, using "madplay" as root, and
    > I get sound from X windows multimedia apps. Running madplay as user (or
    > as root in superuser terminal while running user Xwindows), though, gives
    > "Device or resource busy," and mulitmedia X programs like Amarok play the
    > file but give no sound output, as before.
    >
    > Might I have better results if I plug in a soundblaster card? Or is this
    > problem unrelated to hardware if the configuration worked as root?

    Hi Charlie,

    You should check permissions in /dev/sound. On my machine, these are:

    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 Nov 9 17:45 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 14400 Nov 9 17:45 ../
    crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 12 Nov 9 17:45 adsp
    crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 4 Nov 9 17:45 audio
    crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 3 Nov 9 17:45 dsp
    crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 0 Nov 9 17:45 mixer
    crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 1 Nov 9 17:45 sequencer
    crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 8 Nov 9 17:45 sequencer2

    Hope that helps,

    Tom

  6. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Tom Canich wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Charlie Siegrist wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks! I ran alsaconf, and it picked up the integrated AC97 sound chip
    >>on the motherboard. I can play sounds now, using "madplay" as root, and
    >>I get sound from X windows multimedia apps. Running madplay as user (or
    >>as root in superuser terminal while running user Xwindows), though, gives
    >>"Device or resource busy," and mulitmedia X programs like Amarok play the
    >>file but give no sound output, as before.
    >>
    >>Might I have better results if I plug in a soundblaster card? Or is this
    >>problem unrelated to hardware if the configuration worked as root?

    > Hi Charlie,
    >
    > You should check permissions in /dev/sound. On my machine, these are:
    >
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 160 Nov 9 17:45 ./
    > drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 14400 Nov 9 17:45 ../
    > crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 12 Nov 9 17:45 adsp
    > crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 4 Nov 9 17:45 audio
    > crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 3 Nov 9 17:45 dsp
    > crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 0 Nov 9 17:45 mixer
    > crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 1 Nov 9 17:45 sequencer
    > crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 14, 8 Nov 9 17:45 sequencer2

    Probably also need to add users to the 'audio' group...

  7. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Chris Sorenson wrote:

    > Probably also need to add users to the 'audio' group...

    It is probably worth trying out of desperation, but it should not be
    necessary. I believe the write permissions are enough (it is for my
    system at least).

    - Kurt

  8. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:02:44 -0500, Tom Canich wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Charlie Siegrist wrote:
    >

    > Hi Charlie,
    >
    > You should check permissions in /dev/sound.
    > Hope that helps,
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom, thanks for the response. I checked the folder and all the
    settings are the same as you list for your machine. I'll keep plugging
    away.

  9. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:02:01 -0600, Chris Sorenson wrote:

    > Probably also need to add users to the 'audio' group...

    Which is done, how? Please excuse my noobness. Hopefully I'll get to
    the point eventually where I can start answering questions, but for now,
    I know next to nothing about the OS.

  10. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:09:35 -0000, Charlie Siegrist
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:02:01 -0600, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >

    >> Probably also need to add users to the 'audio' group...

    >Which is done, how? Please excuse my noobness. Hopefully I'll get to
    >the point eventually where I can start answering questions, but for now,
    >I know next to nothing about the OS.

    Probably easiest with:

    usermod -g audio

    man usermod for more information.

    Scott McMillan

  11. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:25:37 -0500, Scott McMillan wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:09:35 -0000, Charlie Siegrist
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:02:01 -0600, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >>

    >>> Probably also need to add users to the 'audio' group...

    >>Which is done, how? Please excuse my noobness. Hopefully I'll get to
    >>the point eventually where I can start answering questions, but for now,
    >>I know next to nothing about the OS.

    > Probably easiest with:
    >
    > usermod -g audio
    >
    > man usermod for more information.
    >

    > Scott McMillan

    OK, I ran that command, and even read the man file for good measure.
    Still nothing, and noted that sound did not work even as root. Ran
    alsaconf again as root from a superuser terminal, got no sound either
    from amrok (X) or madplay (term), and decided that I would shut down and
    plug in the soundblaster card as a substitute for the on-board AC97
    chip. As KDE closed, I got logout music (and there was much rejoicing).
    Madplay worked from the prompt. Started X again, and I got login music,
    and Amrok played the wav file I've been using for test. So, it works,
    for now.

    Looks like it was a combination of first adding the user to the sound
    group, then reconfiguring the sound. I hope I don't have to go through
    this for each user! Will be trying that sooner or later.

    Thanks for the assistance, everyone.

  12. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:38:22 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > On 2007-11-11, Charlie Siegrist
    > wrote:
    >> Might I have better results if I plug in a soundblaster card? Or is
    >> this problem unrelated to hardware if the configuration worked as root?

    > You might, but the problem is unrelated to hardware (the soundblaster is
    > just plain a better card IMHO). If it worked as root and not as a user,
    > than you've got permissions problems. Run id(1) to see what groups you
    > belong to. For me, that's:
    >
    > alan@raven:~$ id
    > uid=1000(alan) gid=100(users)
    > groups=10(wheel),11(floppy),17(audio),18(video),19 (cdrom),83(plugdev)

    Well, I put in the soundcard, figuring if I'm going to go through this
    much trouble, I might as well do it for maximum gain. This is an older
    platform (PII 350MHz) that I am experimenting with. The card will be of
    better use in the machine than sitting in an antistatic bag in a drawer.

    Anyway, I ran alsaconfig again and it identified the chip (Ensoniq ES1371
    - on a Creative CT4810 card), and sound worked, until I started and then
    exited KDE. Then, nothing, although using either madplay or the cat
    command *looked* like they were working, but no sound was produced.

    Next, I re-ran alsaconfig and this time remembered to run

    $ alsactl store

    and for now I have run, exited and re-run KDE several times, and the
    sound has been there each time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    > I've done no custom configuration of groups (except to add me to the
    > wheel group) so unless you've strayed far off the beaten path, you
    > should be in the audio group already.

    I must have strayed somewhere. Running an id on the user shows the user
    has only the group membership to audio that I granted manually. So I
    munged the creation of the user, somehow. This also explains why the
    user has no access to the cdrom device. Advice on the proper way to set
    up a user would be appreciated. Meanwhile, I am tracking down many good
    web resources on the OS. For instance, without begging the newsgroup, I
    found the answer to installing tar.gz packages, specifically the firefox
    flash player 9 package.

    Meanwhile, none of the multimedia video players - kaboodle, noatun, xine,
    etc. are working now. They worked before, albeit with no sound. So,
    back to banging my head against the linux wall. What fun!

    Thanks for your help!

  13. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Charlie Siegrist wrote:
    > alsaconf again as root from a superuser terminal, got no sound either
    > from amrok (X) or madplay (term), and decided that I would shut down and
    > plug in the soundblaster card as a substitute for the on-board AC97
    > chip. As KDE closed, I got logout music (and there was much rejoicing).
    > Madplay worked from the prompt. Started X again, and I got login music,
    > and Amrok played the wav file I've been using for test. So, it works,
    > for now.

    So , you got AC97 to work ?

    Isn't that the chip that only plays audio at 48kHz?

    I think I have one of those on a PIII /800 mobo and was wondering if getting
    Slack 12 would make it work.

    Cheers.

  14. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Sambo wrote:

    > So , you got AC97 to work ?

    I did.

    > Isn't that the chip that only plays audio at 48kHz?

    Might be. The fidelity sucks.

    > I think I have one of those on a PIII /800 mobo and was wondering if
    > getting Slack 12 would make it work.

    Mine is also a PIII/800 mobo with all Intel chipset I set up with Slack
    12, recently. Sound worked without any config on my part, but sound
    quality is poor. I'd dump it for a good SB16 card in a heartbeat.

    nb

  15. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:09:28 -0500, Sambo wrote:

    > So , you got AC97 to work ?

    Yeah, it was in the 12.0 audio database, but as I've posted, I had some
    trouble with it and am now using a Creative CT4810. The trouble was
    probably in software configuration, but I decided to put this spare sound
    card to use.

    > Isn't that the chip that only plays audio at 48kHz?

    I think you are saying that the AC97 is the only MB chip that samples at
    48KHz. I don't know about that, but the CT4810 has a max sampling rate
    of 48KHz, and as notbob says, the sound quality is better. I don't know
    if there are any MB chips that have a decent sound quality.

    > I think I have one of those on a PIII /800 mobo and was wondering if
    > getting Slack 12 would make it work.

    Should. I'm running a PII/350 as my first linux experimental platform,
    and I want to get faster soon. The P6S5AT should be upgradable, if I
    happen to find an old socket 7 CPU at a yard sale somewhere.

  16. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:38:22 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > I've done no custom configuration of groups (except to add me to the
    > wheel group) so unless you've strayed far off the beaten path, you
    > should be in the audio group already.

    To follow up, running the terminal 'adduser' command gives only 'users'
    as a default group. 'audio', 'video', 'sudo' and 'wheel' have to be
    added manually on the command line.

  17. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Charlie Siegrist wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:38:22 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >
    >> I've done no custom configuration of groups (except to add me to the
    >> wheel group) so unless you've strayed far off the beaten path, you
    >> should be in the audio group already.

    > To follow up, running the terminal 'adduser' command gives only 'users'
    > as a default group. 'audio', 'video', 'sudo' and 'wheel' have to be
    > added manually on the command line.

    Or if you are using KDE, you can go to System > User Manager and do it all
    there. That's if you're lazy like me or cant't type worth a ****.
    --
    Bud

  18. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On 2007-11-14, Bud wrote:
    > Charlie Siegrist wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 00:38:22 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've done no custom configuration of groups (except to add me to the
    >>> wheel group) so unless you've strayed far off the beaten path, you
    >>> should be in the audio group already.

    >> To follow up, running the terminal 'adduser' command gives only 'users'
    >> as a default group. 'audio', 'video', 'sudo' and 'wheel' have to be
    >> added manually on the command line.

    > Or if you are using KDE, you can go to System > User Manager and do it all
    > there. That's if you're lazy like me or cant't type worth a ****.

    Supposedly, that works (as it should), but I've seen far too many reports
    of problems with kuser [1] on various forums and IRC to recommend it.
    The most frequent report is that after using it, the shell specification
    in /etc/passwd is left blank, which results in a non-working Terminal
    (that's Xfce Terminal).

    [1] I'm not a kde user so if kuser is not what you were talking about,
    then ignore this.

    -RW

  19. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Robby Workman wrote:
    >> I said:
    >> Or if you are using KDE, you can go to System > User Manager and do it all
    >> there. That's if you're lazy like me or cant't type worth a ****.

    > Supposedly, that works (as it should), but I've seen far too many reports
    > of problems with kuser [1] on various forums and IRC to recommend it.
    > The most frequent report is that after using it, the shell specification
    > in /etc/passwd is left blank, which results in a non-working Terminal
    > (that's Xfce Terminal).
    >
    > [1] I'm not a kde user so if kuser is not what you were talking about,
    > then ignore this.
    >
    > -RW

    Yeah, that is it, and I've had no problems, fingers X'd.
    --
    Bud

  20. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    notbob wrote:
    > Sambo wrote:
    >
    >> So , you got AC97 to work ?

    > I did.
    >
    >> Isn't that the chip that only plays audio at 48kHz?

    > Might be. The fidelity sucks.
    >
    >> I think I have one of those on a PIII /800 mobo and was wondering if
    >> getting Slack 12 would make it work.

    > Mine is also a PIII/800 mobo with all Intel chipset I set up with Slack
    > 12, recently. Sound worked without any config on my part, but sound
    > quality is poor. I'd dump it for a good SB16 card in a heartbeat.
    >
    > nb

    Great , anything is better than nothing , I just needed a beep while debugging
    a PIC here but couldn't get one easily from the speaker.

    Now if I could find the right RAM for this box....

    10% more for disk 3 and I think I'll be instaling.
    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast