V 12.0 no sound :-( - Slackware

This is a discussion on V 12.0 no sound :-( - Slackware ; Sylvain Robitaille wrote: > notbob wrote: > > >>>Isn't that the chip that only plays audio at 48kHz? >> >>Might be. The fidelity sucks. > > > Whether the fidelity "sucks" is certainly not a function of the audio > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > notbob wrote:
    >

    >>>Isn't that the chip that only plays audio at 48kHz?

    >>Might be. The fidelity sucks.

    > Whether the fidelity "sucks" is certainly not a function of the audio
    > playing at "only" 48KHz. Plenty of very good recordings have been
    > done to 48KHz, especially at a time when that was the state of the art

    Well I don't have much fate in resampling and since most sound files on PC
    are not in 48K .... Sure it is great for DAT when you record it from analog
    and only play back.

    So it kind of is falt of that restriction , if you have to resamle every file.

    Cheers.

  2. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Charlie Siegrist wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:09:28 -0500, Sambo wrote:
    >

    >>So , you got AC97 to work ?

    > Yeah, it was in the 12.0 audio database, but as I've posted, I had some
    > trouble with it and am now using a Creative CT4810. The trouble was
    > probably in software configuration, but I decided to put this spare sound
    > card to use.
    >

    >>Isn't that the chip that only plays audio at 48kHz?

    > I think you are saying that the AC97 is the only MB chip that samples at
    > 48KHz. I don't know about that, but the CT4810 has a max sampling rate
    > of 48KHz, and as notbob says, the sound quality is better. I don't know
    > if there are any MB chips that have a decent sound quality.
    >

    >>I think I have one of those on a PIII /800 mobo and was wondering if
    >>getting Slack 12 would make it work.

    > Should. I'm running a PII/350 as my first linux experimental platform,
    > and I want to get faster soon. The P6S5AT should be upgradable, if I
    > happen to find an old socket 7 CPU at a yard sale somewhere.

    Some months ago I was able to find some article( which has now disappeared )
    saying that while the linux drivers had 48K mode in a mode list
    they failed to ...."decided it is not worthy fiddling with" if no other mode
    is supported???

    Not sure how this whole PCI detection works , but why would the mode be primary criteria?
    Maybe I am just too much ISA, is the chip(set) known or not.
    Perhaps it just wasn't worded right or I don't remember it.

  3. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:42:43 +0000, Bud wrote:

    >> To follow up, running the terminal 'adduser' command gives only
    >> 'users' as a default group. 'audio', 'video', 'sudo' and 'wheel'
    >> have to be added manually on the command line.

    > Or if you are using KDE, you can go to System > User Manager and do it all
    > there. That's if you're lazy like me or cant't type worth a ****.

    LOL. Me too is lazy. I use that KDE applet often - Works quite well.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:19:13 -0700, notbob wrote:

    > Mine is also a PIII/800 mobo with all Intel chipset I set up with Slack
    > 12, recently. Sound worked without any config on my part, but sound
    > quality is poor. I'd dump it for a good SB16 card in a heartbeat.

    Amazingly good actually. Oh I know the Sound Blaster is still a fairly
    cheap card compared to what you could spend but my SBLive does a fine
    job. You can really tell when you hook these things up to an external
    amp. I mentioned one CMEDIA audio chip in another post - It's really
    bad - bad enough to consider the output a degraded signal.

    My SBlive hooked up to an external Onkyo amp sounds almost as good as my
    $1200 Denon Signal Processor (aka Home Theater amp) through the same
    exact speakers. Actually for music I like the SBLive-Onkyo better. It's
    got more "punch". The Denon is a very mellow smooth sounding amp.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Amazingly good actually. Oh I know the Sound Blaster is still a fairly
    > cheap card compared to what you could spend but my SBLive does a fine
    > job.

    The SBLive was designed for a Soundworks system and they do pretty good
    on those. They are primarily a surround sound card and sound better on
    such a system. A cheapo SB16, OTOH, is just a basic stereo card. Plug
    'em into most any 2 channel (stereo) system and they will provide more
    gain and punch than the SBlive. I pulled an SBlive outta my 450 PII and
    replaced it with an SB16 and it was much better through my Bose Roommate
    system or a cheapo dual-tweeter/woofer desktop set. I'm sorry the SB16
    is no longer available. I'll try the SB32. I really feel the SBLive
    needs a 5 spkr surround system to shine. I'll keep my "Live" just in
    case I stumble on one, cheap.

    nb

    > My SBlive hooked up to an external Onkyo amp sounds almost as good as my
    > $1200 Denon Signal Processor (aka Home Theater amp) through the same
    > exact speakers. Actually for music I like the SBLive-Onkyo better. It's
    > got more "punch". The Denon is a very mellow smooth sounding amp.

  6. Re: V 12.0 no sound :-(

    notbob wrote:

    > Mine is also a PIII/800 mobo with all Intel chipset I set up with Slack
    > 12, recently. Sound worked without any config on my part, but sound
    > quality is poor. I'd dump it for a good SB16 card in a heartbeat.
    >
    > nb

    Is it black netvista BOX with MS6188 board? don't suppose you keep your
    box open like me, lol.
    Well I installed 12 now , but not a peep , under KDE or
    from console with MPG123 (or 321? ) although it thinks it is playing.
    I did the 'alsamixer' and 'alsactl store'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2