Thank You! - Slackware

This is a discussion on Thank You! - Slackware ; OK, I finally got off my ass and purchased Slackware, (alright, my wife Laurel bought it for me) .. why? Well I've been a very quiet fan since the first release; as a matter of fact, I started looking at ...

  1. Thank You!

    OK, I finally got off my ass and purchased Slackware, (alright, my wife
    Laurel bought it for me) .. why? Well I've been a very quiet fan since
    the first release; as a matter of fact, I started looking at a UNIX like
    alternative since the emergence of SLS. I was so thankful that something
    other that an expensive UNIX op was available!

    What this note is about ....

    My appreciation and thanks go out to Patrick Volkerding, Alan Hicks and
    the army of people who have given their energy, talent, hopes and
    aspirations to the Slackware Project.

    Over the years I have used many flavors of Linux distributions, but I
    have always found myself gravitating back to Slackware.

    Sorry if the time-line is a little fuzzy, I'm an old fart now and my
    memory isn't what it use to be.

    Regards,

    Tom Neilson
    IBM

    PS: I've actually convinced my wife Laurel to use Linux/
    Slackware as an OS; she's a happy camper!

    Again, thank you!

  2. Re: Thank You!

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:08:45 -0500, Tom Neilson wrote:

    > Again, thank you!

    Yer welcome.

  3. [OT] WTF?...

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 02:08:45 -0500, Tom Neilson wrote:
    >

    >> Again, thank you!

    > Yer welcome.

    If this is really you, then you're asking for it... I'll see how this show
    will develop...

    Regards

    --
    I don't have a sig...

  4. Re: Thank You!

    On Nov 10, 2:08 am, Tom Neilson wrote:
    > OK, I finally got off my ass and purchased Slackware, (alright, my wife
    > Laurel bought it for me) .. why? Well I've been a very quiet fan since
    > the first release; as a matter of fact, I started looking at a UNIX like
    > alternative since the emergence of SLS. I was so thankful that something
    > other that an expensive UNIX op was available!
    >
    > What this note is about ....
    >
    > My appreciation and thanks go out to Patrick Volkerding, Alan Hicks and
    > the army of people who have given their energy, talent, hopes and
    > aspirations to the Slackware Project.
    >
    > Over the years I have used many flavors of Linux distributions, but I
    > have always found myself gravitating back to Slackware.
    >
    > Sorry if the time-line is a little fuzzy, I'm an old fart now and my
    > memory isn't what it use to be.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tom Neilson
    > IBM
    >
    > PS: I've actually convinced my wife Laurel to use Linux/
    > Slackware as an OS; she's a happy camper!
    >
    > Again, thank you!

    Watch that talk Tom. Some corporation will by it and I'll have to
    learn how to code. SLACKWARE IS THE LAST HOPE IN THIS WORLD!!! Can I
    have a A-MEN.

    Mutant

    funny ... 0 -:

  5. Re: Thank You!

    On 2007-11-10 02:08:45 -0500, Tom Neilson said:

    > My appreciation and thanks go out to Patrick Volkerding, Alan Hicks and
    > the army of people who have given their energy, talent, hopes and
    > aspirations to the Slackware Project.

    That ought to bring bring out the troll....

    Scott Cole

  6. Re: Thank You!

    On 2007-11-10, Tom Neilson wrote:
    > OK, I finally got off my ass and purchased Slackware, (alright, my wife
    > Laurel bought it for me) .. why? Well I've been a very quiet fan since
    > the first release; as a matter of fact, I started looking at a UNIX like
    > alternative since the emergence of SLS. I was so thankful that something
    > other that an expensive UNIX op was available!

    Hmmm.... hope nobody has noticed that I still have not actually
    _purchased_ a copy. Did look at the Slackware hat though....

    > My appreciation and thanks go out to Patrick Volkerding, Alan Hicks and
    > the army of people who have given their energy, talent, hopes and
    > aspirations to the Slackware Project.

    As a new user (of Slackware) I would like to echo this. Most _solid_
    distro I have ever used. Thanks to all of the above!

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet

  7. Re: Thank You!

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 06:15:02 -0800, Mutant wrote:

    > Watch that talk Tom. Some corporation will by it and I'll have to learn
    > how to code. SLACKWARE IS THE LAST HOPE IN THIS WORLD!!! Can I have a
    > A-MEN.

    Amen.

    At least when something isn't working the way you want it to, Slackware
    lets you get down to the nuts and bolts to fix it. My experience with
    NetworkManager in Dropline Gnome has convinced me that control is
    something that should never be relinquished. One look at its man page
    made we want to throttle it. "Just Work", my ass.

    --
    Richard Herbert
    Registered Linux user 14329

  8. Re: Thank You!

  9. Re: Thank You!

    andrew wrote:

    > As a new user (of Slackware) I would like to echo this. Most _solid_
    > distro I have ever used. Thanks to all of the above!

    If you really want to show your thanks, get a subscription to Slack.

    nb

  10. Re: Thank You!

    haldir wrote:

    > That ought to bring bring out the troll....
    >
    > Scott Cole

    Scott:

    Thanks. Patrick volkering and hill billy Alan Hicks do not go into one
    sentence.

    Alan Hicks belongs to 'Intelligent Design Theory" than to technology,
    slackware or Linux. Alan Hicks is a religious fanatic, with some out of
    date documentation entries in slackbook. That is all.

    Alan Hicks is nobody. He is not involved in Slackware project in anyway or
    form officially.

    Allan Hicks would do much better in Iraq defending the freedom of the likes
    of Patrick Volkerding.

  11. Re: Thank You!

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:13:54 -0600, SUPERDEAMON trolled:

    > Thanks. Patrick volkering and hill billy Alan Hicks do not go into one
    > sentence.

    Oh look! The troll "rm" dreamed up yet another name to post from!

    Lame and boring. **** off and die, dimwit.

  12. Re: Thank You!

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:13:54 -0600, SUPERDEAMON trolled:
    >
    >> Thanks. Patrick volkering and hill billy Alan Hicks do not go into one
    >> sentence.

    > Oh look! The troll "rm" dreamed up yet another name to post from!
    >
    > Lame and boring. **** off and die, dimwit.

    Dan C is another troll like hill billy ... what's his name?

    no this is not "rm" neither that guy in publishing. I just happen to roam
    here on only long weekends to see which old timers, which regulars or which
    trolls are still around.

    Slack 12 is the greatest.

  13. Re: Thank You!

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:04:26 -0600, SUPERDEAMON wrote:

    > no this is not "rm" neither that guy in publishing. I just happen to roam
    > here on only long weekends to see which old timers, which regulars or which
    > trolls are still around.

    Well, mostly it's you and "rm" in the troll category, and you fit none of
    the other categories.

    > Slack 12 is the greatest.

    Bugger off, n00b.