I Need Some Help With X-Window System - Slackware

This is a discussion on I Need Some Help With X-Window System - Slackware ; Hello to everyone here. I've gotten a lot of useful information from you at Google Groups and read the FAQ. Thanks. Here's my background. Over 20 years ago, while working for the Government, I learned a lot about UNIX computers. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 130

Thread: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

  1. I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    Hello to everyone here. I've gotten a lot of useful information
    from you at Google Groups and read the FAQ. Thanks. Here's my
    background.

    Over 20 years ago, while working for the Government, I learned a
    lot about UNIX computers. All command line stuff. Then I lost
    interest until a friend started raving about Linux. I looked into
    it and decided that Slackware was the choice for me, and used a
    neighbor's Mac computer to download the iso images for 12.0. But
    we couldn't make a bootable CD! So I took the CDs to the old
    Gateway I picked up at a garage sale, and over a period of two
    weeks managed to build a base system from the files there. With
    many, many trips to my friend's place to find and download new
    documentation.

    So I did it! Slackware 12.0 is what I am using right here.
    444MB. But I'm stumped about the X-Window System and really
    need some help getting started setting it up. I have 128M of
    RAM and a 200M Swap partition and a 20G hard drive. My video
    card is, according to lspci.


    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH)
    Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0

    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E
    DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 0012
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Memory at ffe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

    So where do I start, please?

    Tom


  2. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    Tom N (tom@somewhere.com) writes:
    > Hello to everyone here. I've gotten a lot of useful information
    > from you at Google Groups and read the FAQ. Thanks. Here's my
    > background.
    >
    > Over 20 years ago, while working for the Government, I learned a
    > lot about UNIX computers. All command line stuff. Then I lost
    > interest until a friend started raving about Linux. I looked into
    > it and decided that Slackware was the choice for me, and used a
    > neighbor's Mac computer to download the iso images for 12.0. But
    > we couldn't make a bootable CD! So I took the CDs to the old
    > Gateway I picked up at a garage sale, and over a period of two
    > weeks managed to build a base system from the files there. With
    > many, many trips to my friend's place to find and download new
    > documentation.
    >
    > So I did it! Slackware 12.0 is what I am using right here.
    > 444MB. But I'm stumped about the X-Window System and really
    > need some help getting started setting it up. I have 128M of
    > RAM and a 200M Swap partition and a 20G hard drive. My video
    > card is, according to lspci.
    >
    >
    > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH)
    > Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    >
    > 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E
    > DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    > Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 0012
    > Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    > Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    > Memory at ffe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    > Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
    >
    > So where do I start, please?
    >

    startx

    That should get something going, it won't be the best but it seems
    that Slackware now has a default config and you can get something.

    There was a step in the installer that asked you what kind of
    windows manager you wanted to use. Presumably you specified something
    at that point, I don't know what happens if you ignore that step.

    Any customization of /etc/X11/xorg.conf will be about taking advantage
    of whatever fancier video card you have (if any).

    xorgconfig is a program to set up xorg.conf if you don't want to
    be editing it by hand.

    Michael


  3. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    Tom N wrote:
    > Hello to everyone here. I've gotten a lot of useful information
    > from you at Google Groups and read the FAQ. Thanks. Here's my
    > background.
    >
    > Over 20 years ago, while working for the Government, I learned a
    > lot about UNIX computers. All command line stuff. Then I lost
    > interest until a friend started raving about Linux. I looked into
    > it and decided that Slackware was the choice for me, and used a
    > neighbor's Mac computer to download the iso images for 12.0. But
    > we couldn't make a bootable CD! So I took the CDs to the old
    > Gateway I picked up at a garage sale, and over a period of two
    > weeks managed to build a base system from the files there. With
    > many, many trips to my friend's place to find and download new
    > documentation.
    >
    > So I did it! Slackware 12.0 is what I am using right here.
    > 444MB. But I'm stumped about the X-Window System and really
    > need some help getting started setting it up. I have 128M of
    > RAM and a 200M Swap partition and a 20G hard drive. My video
    > card is, according to lspci.
    >
    >
    > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH)
    > Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    >
    > 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E
    > DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    > Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 0012
    > Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    > Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    > Memory at ffe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    > Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
    >
    > So where do I start, please?


    As root and without running X, type Xorg -configure. This should
    generate a working xorg.conf file for your card; if you have a
    relatively recent hardware all should be magically detected. Copy the
    generated file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and enjoy!

    You can also remove/rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf and starting X without
    configuration file at all, all should be detected automatically (the
    interest of the first approach is if you want to customize the generated
    file).

    After that simply type startx as your normal user (or change the default
    init level to 4 in /etc/inittab).

    Olive

  4. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System


    Michael Black wrote :

    > I don't know what happens if you ignore that step.
    >

    Then Slackware defaults to KDE, but users can change that running
    'xwmconfig'.
    >
    > xorgconfig is a program to set up xorg.conf


    Another and IMHO better option is 'xorgsetup'.
    --
    Thomas O.

    This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

  5. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-10, Olive wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >> Hello to everyone here. I've gotten a lot of useful information
    >> from you at Google Groups and read the FAQ. Thanks. Here's my
    >> background.
    >>
    >> Over 20 years ago, while working for the Government, I learned a
    >> lot about UNIX computers. All command line stuff. Then I lost
    >> interest until a friend started raving about Linux. I looked into
    >> it and decided that Slackware was the choice for me, and used a
    >> neighbor's Mac computer to download the iso images for 12.0. But
    >> we couldn't make a bootable CD! So I took the CDs to the old
    >> Gateway I picked up at a garage sale, and over a period of two
    >> weeks managed to build a base system from the files there. With
    >> many, many trips to my friend's place to find and download new
    >> documentation.
    >>
    >> So I did it! Slackware 12.0 is what I am using right here.
    >> 444MB. But I'm stumped about the X-Window System and really
    >> need some help getting started setting it up. I have 128M of
    >> RAM and a 200M Swap partition and a 20G hard drive. My video
    >> card is, according to lspci.
    >>
    >>
    >> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH)
    >> Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    >> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    >>
    >> 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E
    >> DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    >> Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 0012
    >> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    >> Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    >> Memory at ffe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    >> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
    >>
    >> So where do I start, please?

    >
    > As root and without running X, type Xorg -configure. This should
    > generate a working xorg.conf file for your card; if you have a
    > relatively recent hardware all should be magically detected. Copy the
    > generated file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and enjoy!
    >
    > You can also remove/rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf and starting X without
    > configuration file at all, all should be detected automatically (the
    > interest of the first approach is if you want to customize the generated
    > file).
    >
    > After that simply type startx as your normal user (or change the default
    > init level to 4 in /etc/inittab).
    >
    > Olive


    Hello Olive and Michael and Thomas. Thanks to you all. I flipped a coin and
    tried Olive's approach and it went pretty well. I ran Xorg -configure and
    moved the resulting file to /etc/X11 and renamed it, as instructed.

    Here's from /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

    (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
    (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
    (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
    (II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.3.0, module version = 0.1.0
    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.2
    (==) intel(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
    (EE) intel(0): Given bpp (32) is not supported by i810 driver
    (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
    (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    ----------------------
    Neither bpp or 32 appear in the xorg.conf file and I don't
    know what they mean.

    Anyone know where I can go from here?

    Tom

    P.S. I'm really new to this usenet and news reader stuff,
    so please cut me some slack (!) about it. I tried tin and
    couldn't make any sense of the documents so now I have slrn
    and at least got this far.



  6. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-10, Michael Black wrote:
    > Tom N (tom@somewhere.com) writes:
    >> Hello to everyone here. I've gotten a lot of useful information
    >> from you at Google Groups and read the FAQ. Thanks. Here's my
    >> background.
    >>
    >> Over 20 years ago, while working for the Government, I learned a
    >> lot about UNIX computers. All command line stuff. Then I lost
    >> interest until a friend started raving about Linux. I looked into
    >> it and decided that Slackware was the choice for me, and used a
    >> neighbor's Mac computer to download the iso images for 12.0. But
    >> we couldn't make a bootable CD! So I took the CDs to the old
    >> Gateway I picked up at a garage sale, and over a period of two
    >> weeks managed to build a base system from the files there. With
    >> many, many trips to my friend's place to find and download new
    >> documentation.
    >>
    >> So I did it! Slackware 12.0 is what I am using right here.
    >> 444MB. But I'm stumped about the X-Window System and really
    >> need some help getting started setting it up. I have 128M of
    >> RAM and a 200M Swap partition and a 20G hard drive. My video
    >> card is, according to lspci.
    >>
    >>
    >> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH)
    >> Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    >> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    >>
    >> 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E
    >> DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    >> Subsystem: Gateway 2000 Unknown device 0012
    >> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    >> Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    >> Memory at ffe80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    >> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
    >>
    >> So where do I start, please?
    >>

    > startx
    >
    > That should get something going, it won't be the best but it seems
    > that Slackware now has a default config and you can get something.
    >
    > There was a step in the installer that asked you what kind of
    > windows manager you wanted to use. Presumably you specified something
    > at that point, I don't know what happens if you ignore that step.
    >
    > Any customization of /etc/X11/xorg.conf will be about taking advantage
    > of whatever fancier video card you have (if any).
    >
    > xorgconfig is a program to set up xorg.conf if you don't want to
    > be editing it by hand.
    >
    > Michael
    >

    Hello again. I tried xorgsetup and got the same results as I did with
    Xorg -configure. So I cleaned everything up and ran xorgconfig, which
    is a lot more complicated. The results are promising and strange. Everything
    looked okay to me up to the end here:

    ......
    (--) intel(0): Chipset: "i810e"
    (--) intel(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xF8000000
    (--) intel(0): IO registers at addr 0xFFE80000
    (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)
    (EE) intel(0): AGP GART support is not available. Make sure your kernel has
    agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.
    (II) UnloadModule: "i810"
    (II) UnloadModule: "int10"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "vbe"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvbe.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "xaa"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libxaa.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvgahw.so
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    ------------------------------------
    But the agpgart module _was_ loaded, and /dev/agpgart _does_
    exist!

    Anyone know what's up with this?

    Thanks again,

    Tom


  7. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System


    Tom N. wrote :

    > Anyone know where I can go from here?


    You could try add this line to the Screen section of your
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    DefaultDepth 24
    --
    Thomas O.

    This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

  8. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-11, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    > Tom N. wrote :
    >
    >> Anyone know where I can go from here?

    >
    > You could try add this line to the Screen section of your
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    > DefaultDepth 24


    Hi Thomas. Tried that and got the same result. Thanks.
    Been doing a lot of searching with google using specific
    error messages in quotes, and am swamped with material.
    The last effort with xorgconfig, which you suggested, is
    the most promising because it lingers the longest with
    a blank screen and doesn't seem to have problems to the
    very end.

    Still can't figure out why X can't see that device file
    and kernel module....

    It looks like everyone with an i810 chip has problems
    setting up X, so at least I'm not alone.

    Cheers,

    Tom




  9. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On Nov 11, 6:37 pm, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-11-11, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Tom N. wrote :

    >
    > >> Anyone know where I can go from here?

    >
    > > You could try add this line to the Screen section of your
    > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    > > DefaultDepth 24

    >
    > Hi Thomas. Tried that and got the same result. Thanks.
    > Been doing a lot of searching with google using specific
    > error messages in quotes, and am swamped with material.
    > The last effort with xorgconfig, which you suggested, is
    > the most promising because it lingers the longest with
    > a blank screen and doesn't seem to have problems to the
    > very end.
    >
    > Still can't figure out why X can't see that device file
    > and kernel module....
    >
    > It looks like everyone with an i810 chip has problems
    > setting up X, so at least I'm not alone.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Tom


    The answers to your problem are in the FreeBSD Handbook (for one)
    under Setting up or Configuring X.

    Basicly after running xorg -configure you have to edit the resulting
    file and place it in (for one) /etc/X11/ .

    What you need to edit are the screen refresh rates. VertRefresh
    "check manual" and HorizRefresh "see same manual"

    You need a Modes line for the DefaultDepth. That will do it.

    Have fun,
    Mutant


  10. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-12, Mutant wrote:
    > On Nov 11, 6:37 pm, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-11, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > Tom N. wrote :

    >>
    >> >> Anyone know where I can go from here?

    >>
    >> > You could try add this line to the Screen section of your
    >> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    >> > DefaultDepth 24

    >>
    >> Hi Thomas. Tried that and got the same result. Thanks.
    >> Been doing a lot of searching with google using specific
    >> error messages in quotes, and am swamped with material.
    >> The last effort with xorgconfig, which you suggested, is
    >> the most promising because it lingers the longest with
    >> a blank screen and doesn't seem to have problems to the
    >> very end.
    >>
    >> Still can't figure out why X can't see that device file
    >> and kernel module....
    >>
    >> It looks like everyone with an i810 chip has problems
    >> setting up X, so at least I'm not alone.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Tom

    >
    > The answers to your problem are in the FreeBSD Handbook (for one)
    > under Setting up or Configuring X.
    >
    > Basicly after running xorg -configure you have to edit the resulting
    > file and place it in (for one) /etc/X11/ .
    >
    > What you need to edit are the screen refresh rates. VertRefresh
    > "check manual" and HorizRefresh "see same manual"
    >
    > You need a Modes line for the DefaultDepth. That will do it.
    >
    > Have fun,
    > Mutant
    >

    Hey Mutant. I downloaded the whole 5MB book and am studying the
    X-Window section. Looks like a good document to have. I will
    report back after the reading is done and I've tried once again
    to configure X-Windows here. Thanks a lot.

    (I do have my monitor's manual.)

    Tom




  11. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-12, Mutant wrote:
    > On Nov 11, 6:37 pm, Tom N wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-11, Thomas Overgaard wrote:


    HA!!!!

    I am posting this from an XTERM using TWM Window Manager!!
    The font is ridiculously small. I did like Mutant said here
    and found out that DRI needed a Depth of 16, then the server
    kept quitting because it couldn't find the default font 'fixed'.
    Searched with google and it turns out the misc cursor font package
    was missing from the CD and I downloaded it from slackware.com and
    installed it and I'm here!!!!!

    Blessings to Michael and Thomas and Olive and Mutant.

    I read everything that's posted here, even if a lot of it may as well be in
    Martian.

    So Mutant. What's mutated about you? Got two heads?

    Tom




  12. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On Nov 12, 2:18 am, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-11-12, Mutant wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 11, 6:37 pm, Tom N wrote:
    > >> On 2007-11-11, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    >
    > HA!!!!
    >
    > I am posting this from an XTERM using TWM Window Manager!!
    > The font is ridiculously small. I did like Mutant said here
    > and found out that DRI needed a Depth of 16, then the server
    > kept quitting because it couldn't find the default font 'fixed'.
    > Searched with google and it turns out the misc cursor font package
    > was missing from the CD and I downloaded it from slackware.com and
    > installed it and I'm here!!!!!
    >
    > Blessings to Michael and Thomas and Olive and Mutant.
    >
    > I read everything that's posted here, even if a lot of it may as well be in
    > Martian.
    >
    > So Mutant. What's mutated about you? Got two heads?
    >
    > Tom


    I got mutant powers. So ....

    Mutant



  13. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System


    Tom N. wrote :

    > Searched with google and it turns out the misc cursor font package
    > was missing from the CD


    Then something must be wrong with this CD. Keep in mind that if other
    strange problems show up then it might be because of a missing package.
    --
    Thomas O.

    This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

  14. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-12, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    > Tom N. wrote :
    >
    >> Searched with google and it turns out the misc cursor font package
    >> was missing from the CD

    >
    > Then something must be wrong with this CD. Keep in mind that if other
    > strange problems show up then it might be because of a missing package.


    You hit the nail right on the head, Thomas. I've had to retrieve 6 missing
    packages from the Slackware packages site already. The .txt and .asc files
    were on the CD, but not the .tgz.

    Installed Firefox last night, and it looks great and works fine on local
    files, but when I try to connect to a website it just says "loading" forever.

    This is what I found in /var/log/syslog then:

    Nov 11 22:45:39 darkstar kernel: mtrr: base(0xf8000000) is not aligned on a
    size(0x180000) boundary

    Nov 11 22:45:46 darkstar kernel: [drm:i810_wait_ring] *ERROR* space: 65520
    wanted 65528

    Nov 11 22:45:46 darkstar kernel: [drm:i810_wait_ring] *ERROR* lockup

    Using the locate utility I found this:

    /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.ko
    and
    /var/log/packages/libdrm-230-i486-1
    and
    /usr/include/asm-i386/mtrr.h

    I am using the huge kernel.

    If you have any idea what I need to do here, please let me know.


    Yours,

    Tom




  15. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-12, Tom N wrote:
    > On 2007-11-12, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >>
    >> Tom N. wrote :
    >>
    >>> Searched with google and it turns out the misc cursor font package
    >>> was missing from the CD

    >>
    >> Then something must be wrong with this CD. Keep in mind that if other
    >> strange problems show up then it might be because of a missing package.

    >
    > You hit the nail right on the head, Thomas. I've had to retrieve 6 missing
    > packages from the Slackware packages site already. The .txt and .asc files
    > were on the CD, but not the .tgz.
    >
    > Installed Firefox last night, and it looks great and works fine on local
    > files, but when I try to connect to a website it just says "loading" forever.
    >
    > This is what I found in /var/log/syslog then:
    >
    > Nov 11 22:45:39 darkstar kernel: mtrr: base(0xf8000000) is not aligned on a
    > size(0x180000) boundary
    >
    > Nov 11 22:45:46 darkstar kernel: [drm:i810_wait_ring] *ERROR* space: 65520
    > wanted 65528
    >
    > Nov 11 22:45:46 darkstar kernel: [drm:i810_wait_ring] *ERROR* lockup
    >
    > Using the locate utility I found this:
    >
    > /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.ko
    > and
    > /var/log/packages/libdrm-230-i486-1
    > and
    > /usr/include/asm-i386/mtrr.h
    >
    > I am using the huge kernel.
    >
    > If you have any idea what I need to do here, please let me know.
    >
    >
    > Yours,
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >
    >


    Thomas,

    I fixed the problem by disabling DRI by taking your original advice
    and setting the DefaultDepth to 24. Firefox is now working fine, apparently.
    Of course, I don't know what DRI/DRM is and what I am missing, but it's
    okay for the nonce.

    Many thanks, Thomas.

    Tom



  16. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Please trim the quotes of any posts you are replying to, thanks.

    On 2007-11-12, Tom N wrote:
    > Of course, I don't know what DRI/DRM is and what I am missing, but it's
    > okay for the nonce.


    DRI/DRM is a component of Xorg that's used for the Direct Rendring of
    3D objects.

    I've got to say, I'm most impressed with you, Tom. Most rookies give
    up and quickly go over to Ubuntu or another of the newbie-friendly
    distributions. You however, not only stuck it out but came into the
    group after lurking for awhile, and posted a strong question in which
    you cited the work you'd done and provided information on the hardware
    involved. We need more rookies like you.

    Give yourself a BOZO point.

    - --
    It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    Ecclesiastes 7:5
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFHOOoqrZS6hX/gvjoRAlLSAJ4g/CwGRR5MdcsCYZ/pLtIhNVhlhQCgv+gQ
    116lx0HWhvvt9BxMFljVYWo=
    =xVL9
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  17. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    Tom N wrote:

    > On 2007-11-12, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >
    > You hit the nail right on the head, Thomas. I've had to retrieve 6 missing
    > packages from the Slackware packages site already. The .txt and .asc files
    > were on the CD, but not the .tgz.
    >
    > Installed Firefox last night, and it looks great and works fine on local
    > files, but when I try to connect to a website it just says "loading"
    > forever.
    >
    > Yours,
    >
    > Tom

    Hello World,

    I am new to Slackware and am having a hard time also, I see Firefox takes
    forever to load a web_page. I also notice this. I have SuSE_9.2 on another
    hard_drive and runs much faster. Also having trouble with printer, screen
    size, and wheel mouse.

    Joe Umstead

  18. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    he On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:37:49 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > Still can't figure out why X can't see that device file and kernel
    > module....


    > It looks like everyone with an i810 chip has problems setting up X, so at
    > least I'm not alone.


    I'd run as root...

    xorgconfig

    There will be a few easy questions asked at first. For naming if it
    asks you if you want to accept the default name just hit enter. First
    big question will be...

    "Now we want to set the specifications of the monitor. The two critical
    parameters are the vertical refresh rate, which is the rate at which the
    the whole screen is refreshed, and most importantly the horizontal sync
    rate, which is the rate at which scanlines are displayed.

    The valid range for horizontal sync and vertical sync should be
    documented in the manual of your monitor."

    Get that information by looking in your monitor manual or going to the
    website and looking up that model's specs - usually they will archive a
    manual for the monitor a very long time.

    The next big question will be...

    "Do you want to look at the card database?"

    Answer yes. You need...

    15 ** Intel i810 (generic) [i810]

    or...

    291 Intel 810 -

    One or the other should work.

    If all else fails these may work...

    0 * Generic VESA compatible -
    1 * Generic VGA compatible -

    Don't worry as the very last question is...

    "Shall I write it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf?"

    You can bail out here by answering No (N). If it still wants to write
    it somewhere write it as /test.conf if you are unsure if thats the right
    settings. The file...

    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    Is the default X settings file for the system. You can always regenerate
    the file and you will probably need to tweak it a bit more later. Once
    you get it all set up like you like it save a copy of the file to a safe
    place. In fact I archive all of /etc on another partition.

    --
    Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net


  19. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:28:11 +0100, Tom N wrote:

    > Installed Firefox last night, and it looks great and works fine on
    > local files, but when I try to connect to a website it just says
    > "loading" forever.


    You don't have IPV6 module loading do you? If so disable that.

    do...

    lsmod | grep -i ipv6

    To see.

    --
    Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net


  20. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-13, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >
    > Please trim the quotes of any posts you are replying to, thanks.
    >
    > On 2007-11-12, Tom N wrote:
    >> Of course, I don't know what DRI/DRM is and what I am missing, but it's
    >> okay for the nonce.

    >
    > DRI/DRM is a component of Xorg that's used for the Direct Rendring of
    > 3D objects.
    >
    > I've got to say, I'm most impressed with you, Tom. Most rookies give
    > up and quickly go over to Ubuntu or another of the newbie-friendly
    > distributions. You however, not only stuck it out but came into the
    > group after lurking for awhile, and posted a strong question in which
    > you cited the work you'd done and provided information on the hardware
    > involved. We need more rookies like you.
    >
    > Give yourself a BOZO point.
    >
    > - --
    > It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
    > Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
    > Ecclesiastes 7:5


    Thanks very much, Alan. (I hope it is okay to leave off those "+'s").
    I read a lot about Unix and Linux distrbutions, and the Unix ones
    like FreeBSD and OpenBSD seeme to be too limited and the Linux ones
    like Mandrake and Redhat and Suse and Debian seem to be catering
    to Windows users who don't want to learn about computers.

    Slackware is as simple and clean as a modern Operating System can
    be, as far as I can tell.

    I hope you don't mind if I take care of a little unfinished business
    here, but it seems like I should follow through for the record.

    Even after I raised the DefaultDepth to 24, web pages with Firefox
    were still loading too slow, and I was still getting those mtrr error
    messages from the kernel, so I read the
    mtrr document in the kernel sources and decided to cut the video ram
    that Xorg came up with (according to /var/log/Xorg.0.log) in half,
    and it worked.

    I put this in the Devices Section of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

    VideoRam 4096

    Now everything seems to be okay and the kernel error messages are gone.

    Take it easy, and thanks again,

    Tom






+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast