I Need Some Help With X-Window System - Slackware

This is a discussion on I Need Some Help With X-Window System - Slackware ; Sylvain Robitaille wrote: > in (t)csh syntax: > > alias rm 'rm -i' > > I'm pretty sure that bash's alias syntax is the same or very similar. Yup, it's quite similar. alias name=value -- Ayaz Ahmed Khan...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 130 of 130

  1. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

  2. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    Hello Richard,
    On 2007-11-17, Richard James wrote:
    > Tom N wrote:
    >
    >>> I put that "script" in ~/.bashrc and then basically *forgot*
    >>> about it. When I did "rm -r foo.wav" instead of it being
    >>> *really* deleted, it was there in the trash.
    >>>
    >>> And in my original post this is why I didn't cut it, I
    >>> blamed myself as well. :-)
    >>>

    >> Oh. Sorry. Is there any chance you still have that script? It
    >> sounds like a good idea for root.
    >>
    >> As long as the trash directory was _in_ root where I'd see it
    >> every time :-)

    > Actually the real thing root needs is a script that displays the files that
    > the user has asked to delete and then asks if they wish to delete them.
    > Maybe showing a count of the files to be deleted and shows the first 10 or
    > so files with full path. Just so you don't get caught out with some bad
    > wildcard expansion through symlinks and recursively.
    >
    > That is why I always use ls first then I use the BASH history to edit the ls
    > command and change the letters ls to rm.

    That sounds like a good practice.

    > If you did have a trash directory you could have it set just like the
    > fortune prompt so that everytime you log on it tells you the current size
    > of the trash. But as others have pointed out it would be better to set up a
    > cron job to eat the old files every so often.

    I noticed a PROMPT_COMMAND option in man bash the other day....

    Don't know what "fortune" is.

    > Another useful thing to have is after the fortune to display the disk free
    > status. Using the df program.

    That would prevent the trash can from spilling over onto the kitchen floor,
    wouldn't it?

    Cheers,

    Tom

  3. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On 2007-11-17, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >>> Yeah you're right being "forgot-full" is really *bad* :-)
    >>>
    >>> So you *never* forgot anything?

    >> I forgot to put on my pants before leaving the house once.

    > LOL it takes some sense of humor to relate such a incident on Usenet.

    It was nice summer day and I was wearing boxers, which feel just
    like my light summer shorts....

    >> But hey, the weather was really nice....
    >>
    >>:-)
    >>

    >>> I put that "script" in ~/.bashrc and then basically *forgot*
    >>> about it. When I did "rm -r foo.wav" instead of it being
    >>> *really* deleted, it was there in the trash.
    >>>
    >>> And in my original post this is why I didn't cut it, I
    >>> blamed myself as well. :-)
    >>>

    >> Oh. Sorry. Is there any chance you still have that script? It
    >> sounds like a good idea for root.

    > Sorry I don't find it, (my other box is still in need of being fixed)
    > but basically it was a alias for rm -r and instead rm it became
    > mv file /.trash (don't know the exact syntax) I really never got into
    > bash-scripting.
    >

    > While searching for the script I found this one.
    >
    > at:
    >
    > http://kris.koehntopp.de/inkomploehntopp/02217.html
    >
    > it had over 100 lines so I didn't post it here...
    >
    > But I didn't try it yet..

    I bookmarked the URL. Looks complicated. Thanks.

    >> As long as the trash directory was _in_ root where I'd see it
    >> every time :-)

    > Mine was in /home/my_user and I saw it, but I simply forgot to check on
    > it 'til it was too late... It reminded me of the logrotate (sp) bug,
    > which also filled up some directory. Didn't get bitten by that one. :-)

    Like Richard says, it would nice if when you hit Enter you got a little
    notice that told you how many files there were in the trash bin.

    > Anyway take care and I hop you get your system up and running...

    Thanks. It's doing pretty good, actually. I'll figure out this
    sound thing and then it's off to the next challenge.

    Tom

  4. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 07:35:28 -0700, notbob wrote:

    > for max performance. Anything under that and you'll be waiting. Over
    > 256, it's the cpu setting the pace. So, don't toss those old PIIs and
    > IIIs. Stuff 'em up with about a half gig of RAM and Slack 12 and go for
    > it. Might garble Youtube if your also rendering a 2M jpeg in gimp, but
    > otherwise, it's a viable system.

    They make great presents for the small kiddies in your family too!

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

  6. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    Tom N wrote:

    >> I put that "script" in ~/.bashrc and then basically *forgot*
    >> about it. When I did "rm -r foo.wav" instead of it being
    >> *really* deleted, it was there in the trash.
    >>
    >> And in my original post this is why I didn't cut it, I
    >> blamed myself as well. :-)
    >>

    > Oh. Sorry. Is there any chance you still have that script? It
    > sounds like a good idea for root.
    >
    > As long as the trash directory was _in_ root where I'd see it
    > every time :-)

    Actually the real thing root needs is a script that displays the files that
    the user has asked to delete and then asks if they wish to delete them.
    Maybe showing a count of the files to be deleted and shows the first 10 or
    so files with full path. Just so you don't get caught out with some bad
    wildcard expansion through symlinks and recursively.

    That is why I always use ls first then I use the BASH history to edit the ls
    command and change the letters ls to rm.

    If you did have a trash directory you could have it set just like the
    fortune prompt so that everytime you log on it tells you the current size
    of the trash. But as others have pointed out it would be better to set up a
    cron job to eat the old files every so often.

    Another useful thing to have is after the fortune to display the disk free
    status. Using the df program.

    Richard James

  7. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    notbob says:
    >Realto Margarino wrote:
    >> notbob says:

    >>> "About:
    >>> GNU Midnight Commander is a text-mode full-screen file manager."

    >> And that doesn't preclude it from being a graphics user interface
    >> to the bash shell. You can have graphics just as easily in
    >> "textmode" as you can in a bitmapped mode.

    >Oh, so you add colors to text and it's instantly a graphic.

    Is that right? But with mc, the colours are optional. You don't
    need to add colours to the mc menu to make it a gui.

    >Amazing.

    It certainly is.

    You don't have a clue, do you? And so now you obfuscate and try to
    skate and stickhandle.

    But you can't. You've been exposed as an idiot, once again.

    Bye.

    Killfiled for 28 days for being a waste of time.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    In article <13jq4pr96q4tb5e@corp.supernews.com>,
    ~kurt wrote:

    > But don't lump me in
    > with everyone who was being abusive to new people for no good reason.

    Well, you've never been the alpha dog here, but you're close to the
    front of the pack of wild dogs that seek to dominate this newsgroup
    through abuse to anyone and everyone you disagree with... which IS just
    about anyone and everyone.

    ANC

  9. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:13:21 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    >>Amazing.

    > You don't have a clue, do you? And so now you obfuscate and try to
    > skate and stickhandle.

    > But you can't. You've been exposed as an idiot, once again.

    Once again, "rm" is spanked in public, and his only choice is to publicly
    plonk someone because he has nothing else to come back with.

    Pathetic little troll. Bugger off and don't come back, smeg-magnet.

  10. Re: I Need Some Help With X-Window System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7