What modules are needed for my initrd - Slackware

This is a discussion on What modules are needed for my initrd - Slackware ; Hello, I have installed Slackware which boot fine with the huge kernel. I am willing to boot with the generic kernel with an initrd but I do not know what modules I need to put in the initrd. With the ...

  1. What modules are needed for my initrd

    Hello,

    I have installed Slackware which boot fine with the huge kernel. I am
    willing to boot with the generic kernel with an initrd but I do not know
    what modules I need to put in the initrd. With the huge kernel, my hard
    drive is seen as /dev/sda (this is a SATA drive) and my root filesystem
    is on ext3.

    Olive

  2. Re: What modules are needed for my initrd

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:27:12 +0100, Olive wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have installed Slackware which boot fine with the huge kernel. I am
    > willing to boot with the generic kernel with an initrd but I do not know
    > what modules I need to put in the initrd. With the huge kernel, my hard
    > drive is seen as /dev/sda (this is a SATA drive) and my root filesystem
    > is on ext3.
    >
    > Olive

    Any kernel modules that are needed to read your hard drive and root
    partition are the only ones that need be in your initrd. At that point
    the kernel has what it needs to mount and read /lib/modules, which should
    always be on your root partition and not on another mount. /usr /home /
    opt, and etc, are NOT required to be read at that point in boot.

    If you built the required modules into the kernel rather than as modules,
    you will not need an initrd at all.

    - Paul

  3. Re: What modules are needed for my initrd

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 21:10:07 +0000, draeath wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:27:12 +0100, Olive wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have installed Slackware which boot fine with the huge kernel. I am
    >> willing to boot with the generic kernel with an initrd but I do not
    >> know what modules I need to put in the initrd. With the huge kernel, my
    >> hard drive is seen as /dev/sda (this is a SATA drive) and my root
    >> filesystem is on ext3.
    >>
    >> Olive

    > Any kernel modules that are needed to read your hard drive and root
    > partition are the only ones that need be in your initrd. At that point
    > the kernel has what it needs to mount and read /lib/modules, which
    > should always be on your root partition and not on another mount. /usr
    > /home / opt, and etc, are NOT required to be read at that point in boot.
    >
    > If you built the required modules into the kernel rather than as
    > modules, you will not need an initrd at all.
    >
    > - Paul

    I should clarify something... "/usr /home /opt, and etc" does not
    include /etc - that looked a bit ambiguous up there...

  4. Re: What modules are needed for my initrd

    draeath wrote:

    > If you built the required modules into the kernel rather than as modules,
    > you will not need an initrd at all.

    THat's what I did, took the modular kernel source config, selected the
    relevent drivers to be built into the kernel and ignored initrd.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread