Smart - Slackware

This is a discussion on Smart - Slackware ; Smart package manager: http://labix.org/smart I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware and what your opinion is. I can't test it right now as I have no space left. I downloaded and installed the rpm package but then ...

  1. Smart

    Smart package manager:

    http://labix.org/smart

    I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware
    and what your opinion is.

    I can't test it right now as I have no space left.
    I downloaded and installed the rpm package but then
    I had no space to install python.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  2. Re: Smart

    On Nov 10, 12:34 am, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Smart package manager:
    >
    > http://labix.org/smart
    >
    > I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware
    > and what your opinion is.
    >
    > I can't test it right now as I have no space left.
    > I downloaded and installed the rpm package but then
    > I had no space to install python.
    >
    > --
    > Ottaviohttp://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

    Slackware?
    Don't you know pkgtool, slapt-get, slackroll and so on?

  3. Re: Smart

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 08:34:05 -0800, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    > Smart package manager:
    >
    > http://labix.org/smart
    >
    > I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware
    > and what your opinion is.

    My opinion is that only a n00b would be wondering about that for
    Slackware. We don't need no stupid package manager like that for Slack,
    and a real Slacker would know that.

    Bugger off and go bother the n00b distro newsgroups, n00b.

  4. Re: Smart

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    > I can't test it right now as I have no space left.

    Then perhaps you need to re-install, either on a bigger hard disk or using a
    smaller install. If the installation is using up all the space where are
    your files going to go?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  5. Re: Smart

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > Smart package manager:
    >
    > http://labix.org/smart
    >
    > I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware
    > and what your opinion is.

    I can't say I have, but it looks interesting... don't think I'll be
    trying it though, as I am quite happy with slackpkg and slackbuilds.org.

    > I can't test it right now as I have no space left.
    > I downloaded and installed the rpm package but then
    > I had no space to install python.

    Why not build it from source? I'm not sure why one would want to use a
    rpm when the source is available...

  6. Re: Smart

    On 2007-11-10, Dan C wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 08:34:05 -0800, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    >
    >> Smart package manager:
    >>
    >> http://labix.org/smart
    >>
    >> I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware
    >> and what your opinion is.

    > My opinion is that only a n00b would be wondering about that for
    > Slackware. We don't need no stupid package manager like that for Slack,
    > and a real Slacker would know that.
    >
    > Bugger off and go bother the n00b distro newsgroups, n00b.

    Wow, that was mighty pretentous.

  7. Re: Smart

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:17:02 +0000, Paul Bransford wrote:

    >> My opinion is that only a n00b would be wondering about that for
    >> Slackware. We don't need no stupid package manager like that for Slack,
    >> and a real Slacker would know that.
    >>
    >> Bugger off and go bother the n00b distro newsgroups, n00b.

    > Wow, that was mighty pretentous.

    Pretentous? Oh, you meant to say "pretentious", right?

    Sure. Whatever.

  8. Re: Smart

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:17:02 +0000, Paul Bransford quoted Dan C:

    > Wow, that was mighty pretentous.

    please don't quote Dan C. He's suffering from fits of homoerotic
    angst since his blowup boyfriend recently burst after a round of rigorous
    rudgering...just killfile him and move on

  9. Re: Smart

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:49:41 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:17:02 +0000, Paul Bransford wrote:
    >
    >>> My opinion is that only a n00b would be wondering about that for
    >>> Slackware. We don't need no stupid package manager like that for Slack,
    >>> and a real Slacker would know that.
    >>>
    >>> Bugger off and go bother the n00b distro newsgroups, n00b.

    >> Wow, that was mighty pretentous.

    > Pretentous? Oh, you meant to say "pretentious", right?
    >
    > Sure. Whatever.

    yea, I missed a letter, which may or may not have been because of a crappy
    keyboard.

    I'm not sure what your problem is, but I am sure there are more productive
    outlets.

  10. Re: Smart

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:35:28 +0000, draeath wrote:

    > I'm not sure what your problem is, but I am sure there are more
    > productive outlets.

    You haven't yet killfiled Dan C... if it wasn't for noobs to this group
    who quote him, most would never know he had posted here. Ignore him if
    you don't score him invisible... he never has anything useful to say.

    Regarding "Smart"... a better mousetrap? I only use Slackpkg to upgrade
    our Slack boxes (headless servers) for security updates. I don't really
    see any need for this new-fangled gadget!

  11. Re: Smart

    draeath says:
    >On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:49:41 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    >> Pretentous? Oh, you meant to say "pretentious", right?

    >> Sure. Whatever.

    >yea, I missed a letter, which may or may not have been because of a
    >crappy keyboard.

    >I'm not sure what your problem is, but I am sure there are more
    >productive outlets.

    His "problem" is that he knows next to nothing about slackware, or
    any other OS, for that matter. He posts really easy questions under
    aliases because without our help he wouldn't be able to keep his
    system up and running.

    Ignore him. Killfile him like the rest of us do, and move on.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  12. Re: Smart

    On 2007-11-10, Swede wrote:
    >> I'm not sure what your problem is, but I am sure there are more
    >> productive outlets.

    > You haven't yet killfiled Dan C... if it wasn't for noobs to this group
    > who quote him, most would never know he had posted here. Ignore him if
    > you don't score him invisible... he never has anything useful to say.

    LOL, if you have me killfiled, how would you know whether I have
    anything useful to say or not?

    Another poser n00b who doesn't know what he's talking about.

    Bugger off.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  13. Re: Smart

    On 2007-11-10, Realto Margarino trolled:

    >>I'm not sure what your problem is, but I am sure there are more
    >>productive outlets.

    > His "problem" is that he knows next to nothing about slackware, or
    > any other OS, for that matter.

    Har! Right. This coming from a moron who can't get his "unsupported"
    AC97 sound working in Slack. LOL! I've forgotten more about Linux and
    Slackware than you could possibly ever learn.

    > He posts really easy questions under aliases because without our help
    > he wouldn't be able to keep his system up and running.

    LOL! What a wanker. Not ever, not once, have I ever posted under a
    different name, you lying punk.

    > Ignore him. Killfile him like the rest of us do, and move on.

    Three for three. This is advice coming from the well-recognized father
    of all trolls, and proven liar, who is in more KF's than any other
    single moron on Usenet (with the possible exception of his idol, Alan
    Connor).

    > cordially, as always,

    Smeg off, troll.

    --
    "Ubuntu" - an African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  14. Re: Smart

    Martin wrote:
    > Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    > > Smart package manager:
    > >
    > > http://labix.org/smart
    > >
    > > I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware
    > > and what your opinion is.
    > >

    > I can't say I have, but it looks interesting... don't think I'll be
    > trying it though, as I am quite happy with slackpkg and slackbuilds.org.
    >
    > > I can't test it right now as I have no space left.
    > > I downloaded and installed the rpm package but then
    > > I had no space to install python.
    > >

    > Why not build it from source? I'm not sure why one would want to use a
    > rpm when the source is available...

    Because I have so much limited space that I cannot install at the
    moment all the necessary packages to compile programs (gcc, make,
    kernel-headers, glibc, binutils).

    However I have made a bit or room and converted the rpm to tgz:

    root@slack:/tmp# rpm2tgz smart-0.50rc1-1.i386.rpm
    root@slack:/tmp# installpkg smart.tgz
    smart smart-0.50rc1-1.i386.tgz
    smart-0.50rc1-1.i386.rpm smart.tgz
    root@slack:/tmp# installpkg smart-0.50rc1-1.i386.tgz
    Installing package smart-0.50rc1-1.i386...
    PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

    But I can't get to make it work:

    root@slack:/tmp# smart
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in
    from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco
    ImportError: No module named smart
    root@slack:/tmp# smart --help
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in
    from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco
    ImportError: No module named smart

    The manual is not very helpful [sorry for the carets that I couldn't
    avoid]:

    root@slack:/tmp# man smart
    smart(8)
    smart(8)

    NAME
    smart - The Smart Package Manager

    SYNOPSIS
    smart command [options] [arguments]

    DESCRIPTION
    The Smart Package Manager project has the ambitious
    objective of creating smart and
    portable algorithms for solving adequately the problem of
    managing software upgrad-
    ing and installation. This tool works in all major
    distributions, and will bring
    notable advantages over native tools currently in use (APT,
    APT-RPM, YUM, URPMI,
    etc).

    Action commands
    update
    install
    reinstall
    upgrade
    remove
    check
    fix
    download
    clean

    Setup commands
    channel
    priority
    mirror
    flag

    Query commands
    search
    query
    info
    lines 1-38  stats

    Run "smart command --help" for more information.

    --version
    Show program's version number and exit

    --config-file=FILE
    Configuration file (default is /config)

    --data-dir=DIR
    Specifies the config file location - can take http, ftp
    urls and local file
    Data directory (default is /var/lib/smart/)

    --log-level=LEVEL
    Set the log level to level (debug, info, warning, error)

    --gui Use the default graphic interface

    --shell
    Use the default shell interface

    --interface=NAME
    Use the given interface

    --ignore-locks
    Don't respect locking

    -o OPT, --option=OPT
    Set the option given by a name=value pair

    Examples
    smart install --help
    smart install pkgname
    smart --gui
    lines 39-74  smart --gui
    install pkgname
    smart --shell

    FILES
    /etc/smart/
    /var/lib/smart/
    /usr/lib/smart/
    /usr/lib/smart/plugins/

    SEE ALSO
    http://labix.org/smart

    AUTHOR
    Gustavo Niemeyer

    The website is not very helpful either, maybe the solution is simple
    but I have missed it. It's nice to play sometimes with 'foreign'
    software, I'm quite ok with pkgtool and slackpkg though.

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  15. Re: Smart

    Swede wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:35:28 +0000, draeath wrote:
    > Regarding "Smart"... a better mousetrap? I only use Slackpkg to upgrade
    > our Slack boxes (headless servers) for security updates. I don't really
    > see any need for this new-fangled gadget!

    just for fun...

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  16. Re: Smart

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 05:27:14 -0800, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    > Martin wrote:
    >> Ottavio Caruso wrote:
    >> > Smart package manager:
    >> >
    >> > http://labix.org/smart
    >> >
    >> > I wonder if anybody has ever tried it on Slackware and what your
    >> > opinion is.

    After your post I tried to use it about an hour or two
    (including the time lost to try and make a sens out of the "docs")
    then I resigned and just uninstalled it :-)

    >> I can't say I have, but it looks interesting... don't think I'll be
    >> trying it though, as I am quite happy with slackpkg and
    >> slackbuilds.org.
    >>
    >> > I can't test it right now as I have no space left. I downloaded and
    >> > installed the rpm package but then I had no space to install python.
    >> >

    >> Why not build it from source? I'm not sure why one would want to use a
    >> rpm when the source is available...

    > Because I have so much limited space that I cannot install at the moment
    > all the necessary packages to compile programs (gcc, make,
    > kernel-headers, glibc, binutils).
    >
    > However I have made a bit or room and converted the rpm to tgz:
    >

    > root@slack:/tmp# rpm2tgz smart-0.50rc1-1.i386.rpm root@slack:/tmp#
    > installpkg smart.tgz smart smart-0.50rc1-1.i386.tgz

    I used the 0.52 with a SlackBuild but that ended quite the same.

    > But I can't get to make it work:
    >
    > root@slack:/tmp# smart
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in
    > from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco
    > ImportError: No module named smart

    Ah, this is funny, I also had a 'module' error but the lyrics
    sounded more like 'python, no rpm module' (yes I also tried the
    "patches" in the contrib/patches dir)
    Anyway, the result's the same I couldn't make it work fully,
    the 'help' and a few other functionned but nothing related to
    packages.
    I have to confess that I wasn't totally concentrated on the
    idea to make it work at any price :-)

    > The manual is not very helpful [sorry for the carets that I couldn't
    > avoid]:
    >
    > root@slack:/tmp# man smart

    Ah, there's a problem I can help !-)
    just use
    # man -P cat smart
    or
    # man smart | cat
    and you'll be happy :-)

  17. Re: Smart

    Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> [...]

    > -o OPT, --option=OPT
    > Set the option given by a name=value pair
    >
    > Examples
    > smart install --help
    > smart install pkgname
    > smart --gui
    > lines 39-74  smart --gui
    > install pkgname
    > smart --shell
    >
    > FILES
    > /etc/smart/
    > /var/lib/smart/
    > /usr/lib/smart/
    > /usr/lib/smart/plugins/
    >
    > SEE ALSO
    > http://labix.org/smart
    >
    > AUTHOR
    > Gustavo Niemeyer
    >

    > The website is not very helpful either, maybe the solution is simple
    > but I have missed it. It's nice to play sometimes with 'foreign'
    > software, I'm quite ok with pkgtool and slackpkg though.

    Honestly, your install is already missing some required components...
    you should really stick to the default tools. after all, if hd space is
    a limit for you, why not use the ones already taking space instead of a
    3rd party one?

  18. Re: Smart

    Martin wrote:

    > Why not build it from source? I'm not sure why one would want to use a
    > rpm when the source is available...

    Why not, indeed.

    Apparently, typing four words is too difficult for the mouse crowd.

    nb

+ Reply to Thread