ipv6 only - Slackware

This is a discussion on ipv6 only - Slackware ; I am thinking of installing slackware 12 on my old computer (was 10.0) and setting it up as ipv6 only for fun and as a learning experience. My main computer has an ipv6 over ipv4 tunnel to my ISP and ...

  1. ipv6 only

    I am thinking of installing slackware 12 on my old computer (was 10.0) and
    setting it up as ipv6 only for fun and as a learning experience.

    My main computer has an ipv6 over ipv4 tunnel to my ISP and is running
    radvd. I can strip one of my underused domains of all traces of ipv4 that
    would prevent ipv4 inbound but, presumably, I need to strip the computer
    of all traces of ipv4 to stop it using ipv4 outbound. Would this be as
    simple as just not giving it an ipv4 address and no 127.0.0.1?

    --
    Alan

    ( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
    However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
    through. )

  2. Re: ipv6 only

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:05:36 +0000, Alan Clifford wrote:

    > I am thinking of installing slackware 12 on my old computer (was 10.0)
    > and setting it up as ipv6 only for fun and as a learning experience.
    >
    > My main computer has an ipv6 over ipv4 tunnel to my ISP and is running
    > radvd. I can strip one of my underused domains of all traces of ipv4
    > that would prevent ipv4 inbound but, presumably, I need to strip the
    > computer of all traces of ipv4 to stop it using ipv4 outbound. Would
    > this be as simple as just not giving it an ipv4 address and no
    > 127.0.0.1?

    You might consider simply not building IPv4 into the kernel, and only
    including IPv6... in that way userland can do what it wants, IPv4 simply
    will not work. I'm no expert however, so I would recommend you be careful
    if you go the route I mentioned...

  3. Re: ipv6 only

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, draeath wrote:

    d>
    d> You might consider simply not building IPv4 into the kernel, and only
    d> including IPv6... in that way userland can do what it wants, IPv4 simply
    d> will not work. I'm no expert however, so I would recommend you be careful
    d> if you go the route I mentioned...
    d>

    That does seem to be the perfect solution. I don't really need to be
    careful as it is a spare computer which will be dedictated just do doing
    this.

    --
    Alan

    ( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
    However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
    through. )

+ Reply to Thread