Slackware 12 Graphical XDialog Installation menus - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware 12 Graphical XDialog Installation menus - Slackware ; Hi everybody, I'm trying to develop a slackware 12 based distro directed exclusively to implement a qmail email server with all features. I like the ncurses based install menus but I'd like to have this install using xdialog. Has anybody ...

  1. Slackware 12 Graphical XDialog Installation menus

    Hi everybody,

    I'm trying to develop a slackware 12 based distro directed
    exclusively to implement a qmail email server with all features. I
    like the ncurses based install menus but I'd like to have this install
    using xdialog. Has anybody done that ? Let me know please !!!
    I'll try to do the following, install the X.org at slackware's
    initrd.img, load it and then try to run some xdialog boxes. If it
    works properly I'll let you know.
    I'm also interested in executing Red Hat's Anaconda install
    system in Slackware. Did anybody do that ?

    Best Regards

  2. Re: Slackware 12 Graphical XDialog Installation menus

    Felipe Martins wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I'm trying to develop a slackware 12 based distro directed
    > exclusively to implement a qmail email server with all features. I
    > like the ncurses based install menus but I'd like to have this install
    > using xdialog. Has anybody done that ? Let me know please !!!
    > I'll try to do the following, install the X.org at slackware's
    > initrd.img, load it and then try to run some xdialog boxes. If it
    > works properly I'll let you know.
    > I'm also interested in executing Red Hat's Anaconda install
    > system in Slackware. Did anybody do that ?
    >
    > Best Regards

    I have tried in the past and seen that the Slackware scripts works by
    replacing dialog with Xdialog but I have not tried to build an initrd
    with that. That would necessitate xorg, gtk, etc... and will
    considerable increase the size of the initrd and IMHO would offer
    nothing more.

    Olive

  3. Re: Slackware 12 Graphical XDialog Installation menus

    Felipe Martins wrote:
    > I'm also interested in executing Red Hat's Anaconda install
    > system in Slackware. Did anybody do that ?

    You lost slack here.

    Why they would name their system after a large snake that overpowers
    and strangles its victims...

    Seriously, why make a whole new "distro" for a mail server? Why not
    release a tag set of which slack packages to install, a few extra
    tarballs for any custom software, and a snazzy config script for the
    user to run after all the core stuff has installed? Plus, this lets
    slackers who already have a system just install the extra tarballs and
    run your script.

    Redoing the install process is boring; pick a distro that does it
    "right" and start from there. Slack might not be the right choice for
    your needs.

    - Daniel

  4. Re: Slackware 12 Graphical XDialog Installation menus

    Well, i always used slackware and debian for work and for fun. All my
    mail servers are qmail and slackware based. There are tons of howtos
    which teaches us how to install qmail. That's not my point. I'm trying
    to develop a slackware based distro with qmail installed in order to
    turn a 48 hours of work (install and configuration) in 2 hours. Its a
    college project. I've also tried to look for anaconda but its only
    ported to Debian yet.

    - Phil

+ Reply to Thread