Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation? - Slackware ; Rabid Mongrel wrote: > We had one clown reveal > to us once that he had received an actual email from "The Man" and > we guess this was supposed to make us feel small and insignificant > because we ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 55 of 55

  1. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Rabid Mongrel wrote:

    > We had one clown reveal
    > to us once that he had received an actual email from "The Man" and
    > we guess this was supposed to make us feel small and insignificant
    > because we don't have such an email. *This was years ago and he
    > probably still has it sitting in his inbox. *How small and
    > insignificant do you have to be before an email from Volkerding
    > becomes one of the highlights of your life?

    For those who have given back to the community by sending patches to PV when
    they find problems, getting an email is not unusual.

    Being jealous of that is symptomatic...

    --
    Linux User #152843

  2. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:25:56 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > P.S. After his post about Tolkein I can't help but throw in one small

    Uh! Tolkein to me, tolkein to me?

  3. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On 2007-11-08, +Alan Hicks+ hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2007-11-08, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> why is it
    >> that this Realto Dude speaks of himself in the *third* person, or is he
    >> the spokes-person for some group?

    > From what I've gathered as his "arch nemesis" or something for some
    > time, RM is a rather disturbed individual. He's been trolling USENET
    > for over a decade in one group or another, and for the last oh... four
    > or five years, this has been his group to troll the heaviest. Most
    > people simply dump him in a kill file and ignore any follow-up posts to
    > him. This is the prefered practice, IMHO.
    >
    > Other people tend to argue and fight with him, but that never gets
    > anywhere. I myself have flung flames back at him in the past before it
    > really sunk in just how disturbed he really is. I no longer get angry
    > or upset with anything he posts; rather I pity him.

    Yeah I think soon or later his entertaining value for me will wear off,
    and then I'll ignore him... Since I'm no Slackware user anymore I
    might just quietly leave .....

    > P.S. After his post about Tolkein I can't help but throw in one small
    > jab. I pity RM in the same way that Bilbo pitied Gollum.

    Never read the book, or saw the movies if you refer to "Lord of the
    Rings"...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  4. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On 2007-11-08, +Alan Hicks+ hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > On 2007-11-07, Olive wrote:
    >>> "Slackware® is a registered trademark of Slackware Linux, Inc."

    >> "Slackware" not just "Slack". Do a google search on "Slack" and will
    >> find a lot website not related to Slackware. Moreover Slack is just a
    >> English words. Remember Lindows has lost his lawsuit against Microsoft
    >> (in the US, it has win in Europe). But I can't image this going so far...

    > As others have pointed out, simply changing some parts does not mean
    > that a trademark cannot still be enforced. For example, Intel has a
    > trademark on "Pentium". I cannot open a company, begin making x86
    > compatable processors, and call them "Pin-Tea-Um" processers, even
    > though all three of those are English words.
    >
    > Though "slack" is an English word, I can't open a software company and
    > call it "Slack Software" or "Slack Linux" or "Slack Where?" or anything
    > similar. Certainly a product either for-profit or non-profit that
    > distributes a Linux distro with "Slack" in it infringes that trademark
    > because it can dilute that trademark.
    >
    > In other words, if there's a possibility that the two companies
    > products could be confused because one tried to mimic in some way the
    > other's trademark, the law (at least in the US IIUC) has been violated.
    >
    > Note that I mentioned the possibility of diluting a trademark because
    > of similar names and similar products. A much more difficult case
    > might be a costum shop that specializes in werewolf costumes or
    > something and goes by the name "Slackwere". In this case, the names
    > are very similar, but the companies and their products are so
    > substantially different that it's highly unlikely that consumers would
    > confuse the two enough to cause damage to the trademark owner.

    I know of a case when the "Rolling Stones" sued the owner of
    a small Bub here in my town, because the owner had the
    "audacity" to call it "Rolling Stones". Of course the owner
    had to change the name... Instead of being happy for the
    free advertisement.... I thought how small minded of M.J. to
    do this.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  5. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    --

    +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
    +-------------------+ / \
    | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
    | | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
    @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
    \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
    \||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

    fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2.
    to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences
    that are worse than the original problem. Usage: "Windows ME
    fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows 98 SE". - Hutchinson

  6. OT: Does one need permission from RM-MS to use a slick fellatio?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 22:48:29 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > I know of a case when the "Rolling Stones" sued the owner of a small
    > Bub here in my town, because the owner had the "audacity" to call
    > it "Rolling Stones". Of course the owner had to change the name...

    So he changed it to ``Reeling Turds'' and is by now retired in the Cayman?

    > Instead of being happy for the free advertisement.... I thought how
    > small minded of M.J. to do this.

    Why'd'ya do it she said... (and she knew ;-)

  7. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:18:52 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:15:33 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > DO
    > NOT F :.:\:\:/:/:.: | FEED THE TROLLS |

    guess you missed the song of the mocking bird
    coming from South?
    Ah, anyone's around's got a kookabura ready?
    seems to me that'd be the right bird on the right pipes...

  8. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    loki harfagr says:
    >On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:25:56 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    >> P.S. After his post about Tolkein I can't help but throw in one
    >> small

    > Uh! Tolkein to me, tolkein to me?

    You are Tolkien (note spelling) to me!

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4065/R...lishments.html

  9. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    +Alan Hicks+ says:
    >On 2007-11-08, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >> why is it that this Realto Dude speaks of himself in the *third*
    >> person, or is he the spokes-person for some group?

    We speak in first person, plural, you idiot. If we spoke of ourself
    in the third person we would be referring to ourself as him or he.

    >From what I've gathered as his "arch nemesis" or something for some

    Arch nemesis? You? You're constantly seeking status and now you're
    seeking it from association with us.

    You're pathetic.

    >time, RM is a rather disturbed individual. He's been trolling USENET

    Gee, thanks for the diagnosis. Maybe you can prescribe some pills,
    too?

    >for over a decade in one group or another, and for the last oh...
    >four or five years, this has been his group to troll the heaviest.
    >Most people simply dump him in a kill file and ignore any follow-up
    >posts to him. This is the prefered practice, IMHO.

    We don't "troll" any newsgroups, moron. Our mandate is to clean
    things up and try to make the world a little bit more sane. In your
    case, that means getting rid of the pgp trash trolling because it is
    nothing more than a pointless affectation. A gadget. It does not
    protect you from impersonation, even if somebody felt the need to
    impersonate you.

    >Other people tend to argue and fight with him, but that never gets
    >anywhere. I myself have flung flames back at him in the past
    >before it really sunk in just how disturbed he really is. I no
    >longer get angry or upset with anything he posts; rather I pity
    >him.

    Save your pity for your mother who still washes your clothes and
    cooks your meals.

    Bugger off.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  10. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    > that a trademark cannot still be enforced. For example, Intel has a
    > trademark on "Pentium". I cannot open a company, begin making x86

    Heh, they also have a trademark on the phrase " Inside". So, if
    someone were to make some form of hardware appliance with an OS that said
    "Slack Inside", they could get in trouble with both Pat and Intel.

    - Kurt

  11. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 22:36:18 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > Yeah I think soon or later his entertaining value for me will wear off,
    > and then I'll ignore him... Since I'm no Slackware user anymore I
    > might just quietly leave .....

    Good idea. Bugger off and leave today.

  12. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On 2007-11-09, ~kurt hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > +Alan Hicks+ wrote:
    >>
    >> that a trademark cannot still be enforced. For example, Intel has a
    >> trademark on "Pentium". I cannot open a company, begin making x86

    > Heh, they also have a trademark on the phrase " Inside". So, if
    > someone were to make some form of hardware appliance with an OS that said
    > "Slack Inside", they could get in trouble with both Pat and Intel.

    IIRC the same applies to the word "custom" I read once that
    some Japanese car-maker put a trademark on it, and "Ford"
    who used the word "custom" with their F1 Pick-ups had to pay
    fees to the Japanese. Well I read this sometime around
    1990, so who knows this is no longer the case.

    > - Kurt

    Dragomir Kollaric

  13. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:11:47 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:18:52 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:15:33 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    >> DO
    >> NOT F :.:\:\:/:/:.: | FEED THE TROLLS |

    > guess you missed the song of the mocking bird
    > coming from South?

    Thank you loki, your metaphor is spot on.

    M.

  14. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > They are simply people who write the software that runs
    > appliances.

    .....and you are simply annoying. Go fondle your mouse, rat man.

    nb

  15. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:17:47 -0700, notbob wrote:

    quoting that which shall not be named!??!

    self-penalise 1 BOZO point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3