Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation? - Slackware ; ray wrote: > > Just out of curiosity, what is a 'PV'? > "The Man" - Kurt...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

  1. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    ray wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity, what is a 'PV'?

    "The Man"

    - Kurt

  2. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Bugger off, Hicks. We all know what you are about after watching

    You are just so jealous that Alan has actually done something real
    and useful for the Slackware community, and that you continue to be nothing
    more than a pathetic parasitic troll.

    - Kurt

  3. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    ~kurt says:
    >Realto Margarino wrote:

    >> Bugger off, Hicks. We all know what you are about after watching

    >You are just so jealous that Alan has actually done something real
    >and useful for the Slackware community, and that you continue to be

    And what would that be?

    >nothing more than a pathetic parasitic troll.

    Now, now, there you go again with that transference stuff...

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  4. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On 2007-11-08, Michael Black wrote:
    > Peter Chant (REMpeteOVE@CAPpetezilla.ITALSco.uk) writes:
    >> Lew Pitcher wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Nov 7, 10:33 am, ray wrote:
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> The creator of Slackware is a gentleman named Patrick Volkerding. Or
    >>> "PV" for short.

    >> Darn, and I was going to suggest that PV was some form of
    >> meta-bootloader/install routine to send people off on a wild goose chase...
    >>
    >> It's kind of true.. :-)
    >>

    > The trick is now to figure out something that will land in Slackware,
    > and call it "PV".

    By occupation I am a Registered Nurse and in medical / nursing circles
    a PV is an examination performed upon a female patient. Ask any
    nurse...

    Andrew

    --
    Now I can praise him, now that I can stand by to mourn
    and speak before this web that killed my father; yet

  5. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Realto Margarino writes:

    > ~kurt says:
    >>Realto Margarino wrote:

    >>> Bugger off, Hicks. We all know what you are about after watching

    >>You are just so jealous that Alan has actually done something real
    >>and useful for the Slackware community, and that you continue to be

    > And what would that be?

    Well let's see shall we ........

    The organising editor and major contributtor for the 2nd edition of
    the Slackware Book - the *official* guide.
    Major contributor to Slackbuilds.org
    countless useful answers to people seeking help and enlightenment right
    here on this group.

    that will do for a start

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  6. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Mark South wrote:

    > IANAL, but there is still scope for a trademark to be protected from uses
    > of a similar trademark in the same business area when there is scope for
    > consfusion. Girling, the automotive parts manufacturer, successfully
    > prevented a company called Dirling from selling car parts under that name.
    > So the issue is not a simple one.
    >
    > Of course, PV may not care, in which case it becomes moot.

    I believe that the use of a very similar sounding name falls under the term
    of "passing off". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_off
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  7. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Glyn Millington says:

    >The organising editor and major contributtor for the 2nd edition of
    >the Slackware Book - the *official* guide.

    And who reads it? Slackware got along famously, for years, without
    this *official* guide. Why is it needed now?

    It isn't. In fact, it is out of date, (second edition?) and gets
    further and further out of date, each passing day. But there it
    sits, even more useless than Keith Keller's useless old FAQ.

    >Major contributor to Slackbuilds.org countless useful answers to
    >people seeking help and enlightenment right here on this group.

    slackbuilds.org? Whazzat? Never been there. Don't need it. Don't
    want it. Like his *official* pamphlet, it's just more bull**** to
    make the "slack experience" more cumbersome than it already is.
    Slackware packages are only useful during the initial installation
    and anyone who tries to use them after that is an imbecile and is
    asking for trouble.

    As for people seeking help, perhaps he has helped about half as many
    as he has driven off with his insulting, arrogant attitude. And as
    for "enlightenment?" Don't make us laugh. Hicks is a hillbilly
    coward who still lives with his mother and that is a *fact.*

    There is no "enlightenment" in computerdom. And all the science
    fiction and fantasy crap that some of you try to associate with
    computers is laughable. There are no computers in Tolkien's
    universe, you ****ing idiots. Computers have nothing to do with
    Zen. Computers are simply appliances and the software that runs
    these appliances is simply software that runs appliances. And the
    people who write the software that runs appliances are not gods or
    geniuses. They are simply people who write the software that runs
    appliances.

    >that will do for a start

    Start of what? He is one of the few remaining pgp trash troll bozos
    who hasn't been driven off. And our contribution in driving this
    trash off greatly exceeds Hicks and your own contributions to this
    ng, combined.

    There are people here who make sincere contributions. Their
    knowledge greatly exceeds that of The Coward, a bash "programmer",
    although you wouldn't know it because they don't brag about it, and
    they don't have snivelling little sycophants like you to promote
    their grandiose delusions of "slackitude" and "clue" and all the
    rest of the junior high school vernacular that Hicks and his cronies
    never managed to move beyond.

    What are your contributions, anyway? Flaming us? Kissing pgp trash
    troll assholes? What is it that you do here, anyway?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  8. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:15:33 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:

    > There is no "enlightenment" in computerdom. And all the science
    > fiction and fantasy crap that some of you try to associate with
    > computers is laughable. There are no computers in Tolkien's
    > universe, you ****ing idiots. Computers have nothing to do with
    > Zen. Computers are simply appliances and the software that runs
    > these appliances is simply software that runs appliances. And the
    > people who write the software that runs appliances are not gods or
    > geniuses. They are simply people who write the software that runs
    > appliances.

  9. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On 2007-11-08, Mark South hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:15:33 +0000, Realto Margarino wrote:
    >
    >> There is no "enlightenment" in computerdom. And all the science
    >> fiction and fantasy crap that some of you try to associate with
    >> computers is laughable. There are no computers in Tolkien's
    >> universe, you ****ing idiots. Computers have nothing to do with
    >> Zen. Computers are simply appliances and the software that runs
    >> these appliances is simply software that runs appliances. And the
    >> people who write the software that runs appliances are not gods or
    >> geniuses. They are simply people who write the software that runs
    >> appliances.

    I second that :-)

    A Question, Mark (as you might read this NG longer then me) why is it
    that this Realto Dude speaks of himself in the *third* person, or is he
    the spokes-person for some group?

    Dragomir Kollaric

  10. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:15:33 +0000, Realto Margarino whined:

    > slackbuilds.org? Whazzat? Never been there. Don't need it. Don't
    > want it. Like his *official* pamphlet, it's just more bull**** to
    > make the "slack experience" more cumbersome than it already is.
    > Slackware packages are only useful during the initial installation
    > and anyone who tries to use them after that is an imbecile and is
    > asking for trouble.

    And that right there, ladies and gentlemen, is about as good a summary of
    Margarine Boy's knowledge of Slackware as you'll ever get. Right from the
    horse's ass.

    Smeg off, you ignorant troll.

  11. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:26:54 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > A Question, Mark (as you might read this NG longer then me) why is it
    > that this Realto Dude speaks of himself in the *third* person, or is he
    > the spokes-person for some group?

    I have been reading this group for years, but it's very intermittent.
    Every now and then I need to take a long rest :-)

    RM refers to himself in the third person because he is using the royal
    "we". Probably he's really Prince Charles in real life.

    Sometimes the tone is exactly the same, anyway. RM obviously feels the
    same way about PGP that Prince Chuck feels about badly
    executed mock-georgian architecture.

  12. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:26:54 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-11-08, Mark South who quoted that which shall not be named:
    >>
    >>>snipped for hygenic reasons

    hmmm...all that spew seemed somewhat obvious to me...I'm afraid I don't
    agree it worthy of a modquote

    > I second that :-)
    >
    > A Question, Mark (as you might read this NG longer then me) why is it that
    > this Dude speaks of himself in the *third* person, or is he the
    > spokes-person for some group?

    no Dragomir, it is nothing more than a pestilence on usenet...you will
    find a nice place for it in your killfile...eventually

  13. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On 2007-11-08, Mark South hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:26:54 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> A Question, Mark (as you might read this NG longer then
    >> me) why is it that this Realto Dude speaks of himself in
    >> the *third* person, or is he the spokes-person for some
    >> group?

    > I have been reading this group for years, but it's very
    > intermittent. Every now and then I need to take a long
    > rest :-)

    I guess I understand that. I used at one time a Slackware
    too, but in a way I felt Debian suited my needs better. I
    started to read this group because one poster Dan C. over in
    the Ubuntu group "misbehaved real bad, so I wanted to see
    how he acts in his native group, seemed not much better. But
    since he is in kill-file now, I really don't see any reasons
    for me to hang out here much longer.

    > RM refers to himself in the third person because he is
    > using the royal "we". Probably he's really Prince Charles
    > in real life.
    >
    > Sometimes the tone is exactly the same, anyway. RM
    > obviously feels the same way about PGP that Prince Chuck
    > feels about badly executed mock-georgian architecture.

    Aha... :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric

  14. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 03:02:30 +0000, ~kurt wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >>
    >> Just out of curiosity, what is a 'PV'?
    >>

    > "The Man"
    >
    > - Kurt

    Would that be Cassius Clay?

  15. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:05:03 -0700, ray wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 03:02:30 +0000, ~kurt wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Just out of curiosity, what is a 'PV'?
    >>>

    >> "The Man"
    >>
    >> - Kurt

    > Would that be Cassius Clay?

    Didn't he change his name to Cat Stevens or something?

  16. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > [...] I
    > started to read this group because one poster Dan C. over in
    > the Ubuntu group "misbehaved real bad, so I wanted to see
    > how he acts in his native group, seemed not much better.

    **** no! He doesn't belong here!

    His native ng is alt.support.hemorrhoids

    --
    Ottavio
    http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

  17. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    Mark South wrote:

    >> Would that be Cassius Clay?

    > Didn't he change his name ...

    Yes ...

    > ... to Cat Stevens or something?

    Ummm .... no. :-)

  18. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:43:26 -0800, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

    >> started to read this group because one poster Dan C. over in
    >> the Ubuntu group "misbehaved real bad, so I wanted to see
    >> how he acts in his native group, seemed not much better.

    > **** no! He doesn't belong here!

    Bugger off, n00b.

  19. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?

    On 2007-11-08, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > why is it
    > that this Realto Dude speaks of himself in the *third* person, or is he
    > the spokes-person for some group?

    From what I've gathered as his "arch nemesis" or something for some
    time, RM is a rather disturbed individual. He's been trolling USENET
    for over a decade in one group or another, and for the last oh... four
    or five years, this has been his group to troll the heaviest. Most
    people simply dump him in a kill file and ignore any follow-up posts to
    him. This is the prefered practice, IMHO.

    Other people tend to argue and fight with him, but that never gets
    anywhere. I myself have flung flames back at him in the past before it
    really sunk in just how disturbed he really is. I no longer get angry
    or upset with anything he posts; rather I pity him.

    P.S. After his post about Tolkein I can't help but throw in one small
    jab. I pity RM in the same way that Bilbo pitied Gollum.

    Ecclesiastes 7:5

  20. Re: Does one need permission from PV to use the Slack appelation?