S12.0: gxine crashes the X server - Slackware

This is a discussion on S12.0: gxine crashes the X server - Slackware ; I've installed Slackware 12.0 and I'm using the X server with the "nv" driver. I find that anytime I'm in Firefox and click on a media link, thus invoking gxine, the server crashes. Happens every time. Anybody know a fix? ...

  1. S12.0: gxine crashes the X server

    I've installed Slackware 12.0 and I'm using the X server
    with the "nv" driver. I find that anytime I'm in Firefox
    and click on a media link, thus invoking gxine,
    the server crashes. Happens every time.

    Anybody know a fix?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: S12.0: gxine crashes the X server

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:37:05 -0800, plenty900 wrote:

    > I've installed Slackware 12.0 and I'm using the X server with the "nv"
    > driver. I find that anytime I'm in Firefox and click on a media link,
    > thus invoking gxine, the server crashes. Happens every time.
    >
    > Anybody know a fix?
    > Thanks.

    Hi,

    Maybe now is the time to try the nvidia driver instead?

    Also, I use MPlayer + mplayerplug-in in preference to gxine.
    Then most media links play fine from Firefox.
    I'm using the nvidia driver.

    Good luck

  3. Re: S12.0: gxine crashes the X server

    geep wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:37:05 -0800, plenty900 wrote:
    >
    >> I've installed Slackware 12.0 and I'm using the X server with the "nv"
    >> driver. I find that anytime I'm in Firefox and click on a media link,
    >> thus invoking gxine, the server crashes. Happens every time.
    >>
    >> Anybody know a fix?
    >> Thanks.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Maybe now is the time to try the nvidia driver instead?
    >
    > Also, I use MPlayer + mplayerplug-in in preference to gxine.
    > Then most media links play fine from Firefox.
    > I'm using the nvidia driver.
    >
    > Good luck

    Good idea; I am also unable to get gxine to work properly. But-- how do you
    change the preferences?

  4. Re: S12.0: gxine crashes the X server

    geep wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:37:05 -0800, plenty900 wrote:
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > Maybe now is the time to try the nvidia driver instead?
    >
    > Good luck

    Were do you get the nvidia driver?

    Joe Umstead.

  5. Re: S12.0: gxine crashes the X server

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:38:11 +0000, Joe Umstead wrote:

    > geep wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:37:05 -0800, plenty900 wrote:
    >>

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Maybe now is the time to try the nvidia driver instead?
    >>
    >> Good luck

    > Were do you get the nvidia driver?
    >
    > Joe Umstead.

    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

    I downloaded this file for my graphics card:
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run
    There's a newer version released now, but 9755 works fine for me
    and my GeForce FX 5600

  6. Re: S12.0: gxine crashes the X server

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:42:39 +0100, jjg wrote:

    > geep wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 06:37:05 -0800, plenty900 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've installed Slackware 12.0 and I'm using the X server with the "nv"
    >>> driver. I find that anytime I'm in Firefox and click on a media link,
    >>> thus invoking gxine, the server crashes. Happens every time.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody know a fix?
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Maybe now is the time to try the nvidia driver instead?
    >>
    >> Also, I use MPlayer + mplayerplug-in in preference to gxine. Then most
    >> media links play fine from Firefox. I'm using the nvidia driver.
    >>
    >> Good luck

    > Good idea; I am also unable to get gxine to work properly. But-- how do
    > you change the preferences?

    Hi,

    Until I installed MPlayer and mplayerplug-in on Slackware 12.0,
    Firefox didn't do anything with media links like the headlines from BBC
    News 24 @

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_3690000/
    newsid_3694000/3694028.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1#

    Didn't have to do anything like disabling gxine (though I have a vague
    memory that with earlier releases of Slackware gxine tried to run).

    Compiled own mplayerplug-in, latterly using the SlackBuild and files from:
    http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...a/mplayerplug-
    in/3.45/src/
    They also have a pre-packaged version here:
    http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...a/mplayerplug-
    in/3.45/

    And they also have mplayer here:
    http://www.slacky.eu/repository/slac...player/1.0rc2/
    I haven't used this, but have had good experience with SlackBuilds from
    slacky.eu
    I used an own modified version from:
    http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...s/MPlayer/pkg/

    Don't forget the MPlayer codecs - not sure if they are included in the
    above packages.
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
    http://www7.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
    essential-20071007.tar.bz2
    Copy into /usr/lib/codecs

    For media streams, where the URL begins with mms:, then by default on
    Slack 12 Firefox doesn't know what to do.
    It says: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
    protocol (mms) isn't associated with any program".
    I followed the instructions at this link: http://www.cinlug.org/node/316
    But instead of using /usr/bin/kaffeine I used /usr/bin/gmplayer

    Here are the instructions, modified for gmplayer:
    (1.) Open Firefox, type "about:config" (no quotes) in the address window,
    and click enter.
    (2.) Right click on the window and choose , then from the
    pop-up menu that appears.
    (3.) In the first pop-up box, enter: "network.protocol-handler.app.mms"
    (no quotes, and it might just be easier to cut 'n paste this into the
    box).
    (4.) In the next pop-up box enter the path to gmplayer
    (e.g. "/usr/bin/gmplayer").
    (5.) Now, click in the main window again but choose
    (6.) In the first pop-up box, enter:
    "network.protocol-handler.external.mms"
    (7.) In the second pop-up select .

    Good luck