/dev/cdrom - Slackware

This is a discussion on /dev/cdrom - Slackware ; I couldn't mount /mnt/cdrom so, I created a symlink /dev/cdrom --> /dev/hda, and all wokrs fine. But, if I reboot, this link I'd created dissappears. How do I make it permanent? Thanks in advance for all your help....

  1. /dev/cdrom

    I couldn't mount /mnt/cdrom so, I created a symlink /dev/cdrom
    --> /dev/hda, and all wokrs fine.
    But, if I reboot, this link I'd created dissappears.
    How do I make it permanent?

    Thanks in advance for all your help.

  2. Re: /dev/cdrom

    nixiguf wrote:

    > I couldn't mount /mnt/cdrom so, I created a symlink /dev/cdrom
    > --> /dev/hda, and all wokrs fine.
    > But, if I reboot, this link I'd created dissappears.
    > How do I make it permanent?

    The way it appears to work in SW 12 is rc.M calls /lib/udev/rc.optical-symlinks.

    - Kurt

  3. Re: /dev/cdrom

    ~kurt wrote:
    > nixiguf wrote:
    >> I couldn't mount /mnt/cdrom so, I created a symlink /dev/cdrom
    >> --> /dev/hda, and all wokrs fine.
    >> But, if I reboot, this link I'd created dissappears.
    >> How do I make it permanent?

    > The way it appears to work in SW 12 is rc.M calls /lib/udev/rc.optical-symlinks.
    >
    > - Kurt

    i've always used fstab with noauto, but i'm starting with udev, so, i'll
    use fstab with noauto.

  4. Re: /dev/cdrom

    On 2007-11-04, nixiguf wrote:

    > I couldn't mount /mnt/cdrom so, I created a symlink /dev/cdrom
    > --> /dev/hda, and all wokrs fine.
    > But, if I reboot, this link I'd created dissappears.
    > How do I make it permanent?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all your help.

    you can edit /etc/fstab for it to use /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom

    I also found this on the sourcemage.org page:

    You could add a rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-cdrom.rules such as (with
    99-cdrom.rules being a new file you are creating):

    KERNEL=="hdc", SYMLINK="cdrom"

    Then your /dev/hdc device would have a symlink from /dev/cdrom.

    You may be able to use a more 'proper' rule like this:

    NAME=="hdc", SYMLINK="cdrom"

    Since you're basing the symlink on the device name, not the kernel.

    (link: http://www.sourcemage.org/node/1827)

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    WWW: http://www.sekurity.com

    "This is my Linux box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My Linux box is my best friend. It is my life."

  5. Re: /dev/cdrom

    (martin@ivalice.sekurity.com) writes:
    > On 2007-11-04, nixiguf wrote:
    >>
    >> I couldn't mount /mnt/cdrom so, I created a symlink /dev/cdrom
    >> --> /dev/hda, and all wokrs fine.
    >> But, if I reboot, this link I'd created dissappears.
    >> How do I make it permanent?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for all your help.
    >>

    > you can edit /etc/fstab for it to use /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom

    That's hardly the issue.

    Various programs defult to using /dev/cdrom. Workbone for instance,
    you can use it with some other device but you have to invoke it,
    while the symlink means you just have to start it up.

    Other programs are the same.

    It's a streamline issue. Set up the symlink once to point to where
    ever the cdrom drive is, and then you don't have to remember whether
    it's /dev/hdd or /dev/hdc. The same thing with /dev/modem, it's far
    easier to remember that's where the modem is than remember which
    serial port it actually connects to.

    Michael

  6. Re: /dev/cdrom

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 16:04:41 GMT
    martin@ivalice.sekurity.com wrote:

    > you can edit /etc/fstab for it to use /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom

    I tried that and it works fine, but I was getting error messages when I
    type in 'eject'.
    eject: tried to use '/media/cdrom0' as device name but it is no block
    device.

    > I also found this on the sourcemage.org page:
    >
    > You could add a rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-cdrom.rules such as (with
    > 99-cdrom.rules being a new file you are creating):
    >
    > KERNEL=="hdc", SYMLINK="cdrom"
    >
    > Then your /dev/hdc device would have a symlink from /dev/cdrom.
    >
    > You may be able to use a more 'proper' rule like this:
    >
    > NAME=="hdc", SYMLINK="cdrom"
    >
    > Since you're basing the symlink on the device name, not the kernel.
    >
    > (link: http://www.sourcemage.org/node/1827)

    I'd just edited the rc.local file by adding a line
    "ln -s /dev/hda /dev/cdrom", but I like your way much better. It
    looks more *professional*
    Thanks!.

  7. Re: /dev/cdrom

    On 2007-11-04, nixiguf wrote:

    > I couldn't mount /mnt/cdrom so, I created a symlink /dev/cdrom
    > --> /dev/hda, and all wokrs fine.
    > But, if I reboot, this link I'd created dissappears.
    > How do I make it permanent?

    What version of Slackware? In any recent version, that symlink
    should be created by default. See the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT
    file on the install media of whatever Slackware version you're
    using.

    -RW

  8. Re: /dev/cdrom

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:15:47 GMT
    Robby Workman wrote:

    > What version of Slackware? In any recent version, that symlink
    > should be created by default.

    I'm using Slackware-12.0. Actually it was working fine before. The
    problem started to happen since I replaced my SATA cdrom with IDE cdrom
    couple days ago. I don't think there was anything that I was supposed
    to do before I change the cdrom, was there?

    >See the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT
    > file on the install media of whatever Slackware version you're
    > using.
    >
    > -RW

  9. Re: /dev/cdrom

  10. Re: /dev/cdrom

    On 2007-11-05, nixiguf wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:15:47 GMT
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >
    >> What version of Slackware? In any recent version, that symlink
    >> should be created by default.

    > I'm using Slackware-12.0. Actually it was working fine before. The
    > problem started to happen since I replaced my SATA cdrom with IDE cdrom
    > couple days ago. I don't think there was anything that I was supposed
    > to do before I change the cdrom, was there?
    >

    >>See the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT
    >> file on the install media of whatever Slackware version you're
    >> using.

    You didn't read what I suggested, did you? From that document:

    Slackware's udev implementation will automatically create rules files for your
    optical devices (/etc/udev/rules.d/75-optical-devices.rules) and network
    interfaces (/etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-devices.rules) on first boot.
    If you add/remove/replace any of this hardware, and/or you "clone" a system
    to another hard drive for deployment, you will need to either remove these
    two files (so that udev will regenerate them to reflect the new/changed
    hardware) or edit them accordingly.

    -RW

  11. Re: /dev/cdrom

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 05:43:30 GMT
    Robby Workman wrote:

    > You didn't read what I suggested, did you? From that document:
    >
    > Slackware's udev implementation will automatically create rules files
    > for your optical devices (/etc/udev/rules.d/75-optical-devices.rules)
    > and network interfaces (/etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-devices.rules)
    > on first boot. If you add/remove/replace any of this hardware, and/or
    > you "clone" a system to another hard drive for deployment, you will
    > need to either remove these two files (so that udev will regenerate
    > them to reflect the new/changed hardware) or edit them accordingly.
    >
    > -RW

    That's it!. Thank you, you are great!

  12. Re: /dev/cdrom

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > Slackware's udev implementation will automatically create rules files for your
    > optical devices (/etc/udev/rules.d/75-optical-devices.rules) and network
    > interfaces (/etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-devices.rules) on first boot.
    > If you add/remove/replace any of this hardware, and/or you "clone" a system
    > to another hard drive for deployment, you will need to either remove these
    > two files (so that udev will regenerate them to reflect the new/changed
    > hardware) or edit them accordingly.

    Hmmmm.... I recently added a tulip NIC to my slack 12 PIII box,
    originally config/booted with dial-up modem (never did get it working).
    I didn't do anything to /etc/udev/ files and it works fine. But,
    I'll check this out. Thanks for the info, Robby.

    nb

+ Reply to Thread