sync occasionally hangs - Slackware

This is a discussion on sync occasionally hangs - Slackware ; It is fairly recent, but every now and then my Slackware 12 system seems to malfunction. When I do a shutdown, the shutdown command hangs forever. However, I can still switch consoles. In another console, I do a sync, which ...

  1. sync occasionally hangs

    It is fairly recent, but every now and then my Slackware 12 system seems to
    malfunction. When I do a shutdown, the shutdown command hangs forever.
    However, I can still switch consoles. In another console, I do a sync,
    which also hangs. In yet another console, I do ps ax, and next try to kill
    the shutdown and sync processes. No effect, they are clearly not killable
    anymore.

    Any ideas as to the possible cause? Memory? A file system? I am going to
    check both, but perhaps someone here has a better idea?

  2. Re: sync occasionally hangs

  3. Re: sync occasionally hangs

    haldir wrote:

    > jjg wrote:
    >> It is fairly recent, but every now and then my Slackware 12 system seems
    >> to malfunction. When I do a shutdown, the shutdown command hangs forever.
    >> However, I can still switch consoles. In another console, I do a sync,
    >> which also hangs. In yet another console, I do ps ax, and next try to
    >> kill the shutdown and sync processes. No effect, they are clearly not
    >> killable anymore.
    >>
    >> Any ideas as to the possible cause? Memory? A file system? I am going to
    >> check both, but perhaps someone here has a better idea?

    > Are you in X when you do the shutdown? What method are you using to
    > order shutdown? After you order a shutdown, you continue to another
    > console and try to order sync? Just trying to understand what you are
    > doing.

    I am usually in X. However, I switch consoles with CTRL-ALT-F,
    and then I do shutdown. Next I switch with ALT-F, and do a
    sync, ...

    It would seem that it is the sync (which is presumably also invoked inside
    shutdown). I have read that sync may be waiting for some lock to become
    free, but I am not sure who would hold that lock.

  4. Re: sync occasionally hangs

    jjg wrote:

    > It is fairly recent, but every now and then my Slackware 12 system seems
    > to malfunction. When I do a shutdown, the shutdown command hangs forever.
    > However, I can still switch consoles. In another console, I do a sync,
    > which also hangs. In yet another console, I do ps ax, and next try to kill
    > the shutdown and sync processes. No effect, they are clearly not killable
    > anymore.
    >
    > Any ideas as to the possible cause? Memory? A file system? I am going to
    > check both, but perhaps someone here has a better idea?

    Update: I have an external USB disk, which seems to be dying. I suspect that
    that is the cause of all problems, and it might also explain why sync
    hangs...

+ Reply to Thread