Slackware-current updated - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware-current updated - Slackware ; After long period of silence, seems like Slackware-current is rolling again: http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386 Just out of curiosity: what do you think would be "must-have" upgrades/ additions for next Slackware release? Here are some from my wish list: Emacs 22, Qt 4, ...

  1. Slackware-current updated

    After long period of silence, seems like Slackware-current is rolling
    again:
    http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386

    Just out of curiosity: what do you think would be "must-have" upgrades/
    additions for next Slackware release? Here are some from my wish
    list: Emacs 22, Qt 4, SQLite, Wireshark, Valgrind...

  2. Re: Slackware-current updated

    Crni Gorac wrote:

    > After long period of silence, seems like Slackware-current is rolling
    > again:
    > http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386
    >
    > Just out of curiosity: what do you think would be "must-have" upgrades/
    > additions for next Slackware release? Here are some from my wish
    > list: Emacs 22, Qt 4, SQLite, Wireshark, Valgrind...

    Hmm upgraded in current to Kdevelop 3.5.0 Maybe I should upgrade from
    Slackware 11 to 12-current.

    I'm still waiting on the release of KDE 4

    Richard James

  3. Re: Slackware-current updated

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:09:37 -0700, Crni Gorac wrote:

    > After long period of silence, seems like Slackware-current is rolling
    > again:
    > http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386

    No wishes, just some observations about the changelog, etc.

    The kernel is now 2.6.23, which is appears to be a good thing. The kernel
    changelogs from 2.6.21 to 2.6.23 are long and extensive. The slack 12
    default kernel (2.6.21.5) had some issues with new hardware which was
    fixed for me by patches in 2.6.21.7. The kernel team are working hard, but
    I'm a bit worried by the sheer volume of changes. However, they are
    working on things that I want to have in the long run; for one thing,
    consistency with suspend/resume to RAM, etc.

    Also included is X.org 7.3. I had some lockups on a laptop with the i915
    chipset while using the new X as setup in Slackware 12 (7.[1 or pre2]). I
    recently patched X.org to 7.3 and have had no lockups since.

    I think Slackware 12 would have been better if it had waited for the
    new kernel and new X, but one never knows. I think that the new X was
    just enough different to break some things. The -current notes show some
    things remain broken with X. xf-video-vesa used to be the standard
    fail-safe mode, so I'm surprised that is broken.

    Overall, I'm very happy with my Slackware 12 systems (and also some 11,
    10.2 still running.) I'm glad to see that the development of free software
    continues fast and furious! I will be pulling PV's kernel configuration
    later today! Thanks!

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: Slackware-current updated

    On 2007-10-17, Crni Gorac wrote:
    > After long period of silence, seems like Slackware-current is rolling
    > again:
    > http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386
    >
    > Just out of curiosity: what do you think would be "must-have" upgrades/
    > additions for next Slackware release? Here are some from my wish
    > list: Emacs 22, Qt 4, SQLite, Wireshark, Valgrind...

    Emacs 22 is huge.

    Qt4 is doubtful - it's not required for anything that Slackware ships,
    and I wouldn't expect Pat to add something just because "it might be
    needed by some third party apps."

    sqlite, wireshark, and valgrind all have build scripts provided by
    SlackBuilds.org.

    -RW

  5. Re: Slackware-current updated

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > Qt4 is doubtful - it's not required for anything that Slackware ships,
    > and I wouldn't expect Pat to add something just because "it might be
    > needed by some third party apps."

    Doesn't kde4 use Qt4, it is scheduled to be released on december 11. How
    long does Pat wait when he updates kde?
    --
    Ed

  6. Re: Slackware-current updated

    Ed Wilson wrote :

    > Doesn't kde4 use Qt4,

    The major version number of KDE always follow the major version number
    of Qt.
    --
    Thomas O.

  7. Re: Slackware-current updated

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:48:29 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:09:37 -0700, Crni Gorac wrote:
    >
    >> After long period of silence, seems like Slackware-current is rolling
    >> again:
    >> http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386
    >>

    > No wishes, just some observations about the changelog, etc.
    >
    > The kernel is now 2.6.23, which is appears to be a good thing. The kernel
    > changelogs from 2.6.21 to 2.6.23 are long and extensive.
    >

    > Overall, I'm very happy with my Slackware 12 systems (and also some 11,
    > 10.2 still running.) I'm glad to see that the development of free software
    > continues fast and furious! I will be pulling PV's kernel configuration
    > later today! Thanks!

    This is a misc note about the kernel 2.6.23.1. I compiled a kernel
    similar to PV's default and tested it just now. I experienced a lockup
    which may be related to an item on the kernel mailing list this week. The
    computer's SATA controller may not have been properly initialized because
    the drives were addressable as "hda" under the 2.6.23 kernel, and are
    "sda" under 2.6.21.x. The computer is using the ICHM/6 chipset.

    Perhaps, hold off on deploying 2.6.23 until more patches are issued.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  8. Re: Slackware-current updated

    Douglas Mayne schreef:

    > This is a misc note about the kernel 2.6.23.1. I compiled a kernel
    > similar to PV's default and tested it just now. I experienced a lockup
    > which may be related to an item on the kernel mailing list this week. The
    > computer's SATA controller may not have been properly initialized because
    > the drives were addressable as "hda" under the 2.6.23 kernel, and are
    > "sda" under 2.6.21.x. The computer is using the ICHM/6 chipset.
    >
    > Perhaps, hold off on deploying 2.6.23 until more patches are issued.

    Add "hda=noprobe" to the Slackware install boot commandline, and later
    on in liloconfig, tell it to add "hda=noprobe" to lilo.conf as well.

    This will make the ide disk driver skip probing hda and the sata
    driver will pick the drive up, thus making it known as sda.
    Older 2.6 kernels had this same issue (the 2.6 kernel in Slackware
    11.0 for instance), it was gone for a while (the Slackware 12.0 kernel
    did not have the problem), I guess it will be fixed again at some time.

    Eric

  9. Re: Slackware-current updated

    I am *so* glad you pointed this out. I've been having spasms trying to
    compile a 2.6.23 kernel with my ICHM/n chipset computer and SATA drive. Now
    I can quit beating my forehead against my keyboard...

    Mark

    "Douglas Mayne" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.10.20.00.33.08.80463@sl12.localnet...
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:48:29 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:09:37 -0700, Crni Gorac wrote:
    >>
    >>> After long period of silence, seems like Slackware-current is rolling
    >>> again:
    >>> http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386
    >>>

    >> No wishes, just some observations about the changelog, etc.
    >>
    >> The kernel is now 2.6.23, which is appears to be a good thing. The kernel
    >> changelogs from 2.6.21 to 2.6.23 are long and extensive.
    >>

    >> Overall, I'm very happy with my Slackware 12 systems (and also some 11,
    >> 10.2 still running.) I'm glad to see that the development of free
    >> software
    >> continues fast and furious! I will be pulling PV's kernel configuration
    >> later today! Thanks!
    >>

    > This is a misc note about the kernel 2.6.23.1. I compiled a kernel
    > similar to PV's default and tested it just now. I experienced a lockup
    > which may be related to an item on the kernel mailing list this week. The
    > computer's SATA controller may not have been properly initialized because
    > the drives were addressable as "hda" under the 2.6.23 kernel, and are
    > "sda" under 2.6.21.x. The computer is using the ICHM/6 chipset.
    >
    > Perhaps, hold off on deploying 2.6.23 until more patches are issued.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread