root.bin on [s]bin - Slackware

This is a discussion on root.bin on [s]bin - Slackware ; Hey! Does anyone know since when Pat decided that it is not mandatory to have all files in [s]bin owned by root:bin? I can see that now is a total mess (12.0)... Strange... Anyone knows? [d]...

  1. root.bin on [s]bin

    Hey!

    Does anyone know since when Pat decided that it is not mandatory to
    have all files in [s]bin owned by root:bin? I can see that now is a
    total mess (12.0)... Strange... Anyone knows?

    [d]

  2. Re: root.bin on [s]bin

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:38:06 -0700, responder@pacanka.com wrote:

    > Does anyone know since when Pat decided that it is not mandatory to
    > have all files in [s]bin owned by root:bin? I can see that now is a
    > total mess (12.0)... Strange... Anyone knows?

    Since 11.0; Just some packages haven't had a rebuild since then.
    so they still have root:bin ownership.

  3. Re: root.bin on [s]bin

    On Oct 15, 9:17 am, Stuart Winter
    wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:38:06 -0700, respon...@pacanka.com wrote:
    > > Does anyone know since when Pat decided that it is not mandatory to
    > > have all files in [s]bin owned by root:bin? I can see that now is a
    > > total mess (12.0)... Strange... Anyone knows?

    > Since 11.0; Just some packages haven't had a rebuild since then.
    > so they still have root:bin ownership.

    Hey,

    Thanks for your reply! Is there any reason Pat decided against :bin in
    those folders?

    [d]

  4. Re: root.bin on [s]bin

    responder@pacanka.com wrote :

    > Is there any reason Pat decided against :bin in those folders?

    From the ChangeLog.txt from Slackware 11:

    "There was never any use to this ever, so far as I can tell. I think
    someone working on the FHS just thought that root:bin looked nicer, or
    something. ;-) Most distributions install binaries as root:root now
    anyway, and the latest standards no longer require root:bin. Since it
    doesn't matter, don't expect everything to change all at once -- don't
    send bug reports concerning files or directories that "should be"
    root:bin or root:root. We will move away from root:bin to root:root as
    new packages are built."
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: root.bin on [s]bin

    In article <1192426686.016229.252010@i38g2000prf.googlegroups. com>,
    responder@pacanka.com wrote:

    > Does anyone know since when Pat decided that it is not mandatory to
    > have all files in [s]bin owned by root:bin? I can see that now is a
    > total mess (12.0)... Strange... Anyone knows?

    The reason has been shown elsewhere in this thread.

    If the mess annoys you, it's easy to fix:

    # find /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin -type f -group bin | xargs chgrp root

    - Martijn

  6. Re: root.bin on [s]bin

    On Oct 15, 2:39 pm, Martijn Dekker wrote:
    [...]
    > If the mess annoys you, it's easy to fix:
    >
    > # find /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin -type f -group bin | xargs chgrp root

    No, thank you, I know how to fix it, I didn't ask on how to get it
    fixed, I just wanted to know why...

    And the above answers exhaust my question.

    [d]

+ Reply to Thread