OT: Wireless routing - Slackware

This is a discussion on OT: Wireless routing - Slackware ; I am in wireless router hell. I was given a Netgear MR314 wireless router by a friend. Since I already had 2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI wireless cards that I was using to masq my wife I figure what the ...

  1. OT: Wireless routing

    I am in wireless router hell.

    I was given a Netgear MR314 wireless router by a friend.

    Since I already had 2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI wireless cards
    that I was using to masq my wife I figure what the hell I'll setup the
    router and pull the eth0 card and have an extra slot for my TV card.

    Now for 3 days I have been in Wireless hell with no escape.

    using iwlist I can see that the radio is operating:

    Cell 01 - Address: 00:30:AB:20:51:32
    ESSID:"Fred"
    Mode:Managed
    Channel:3
    Encryption keyff
    Quality:84/100 Signal level:-28 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

    So I figure there is something wrong with the routing of my network,and
    this is where I have run into some of the problms I am having.

    Using rc.inet1 I can not get my computer to setup the wireless card in
    my computer. Maybe I am doing something wrong in the rc.inet1.conf but I
    don't think so.

    First my wireless card is called ra1 not eth*. That's what the rt61.o
    module names it. I can't figure out how to enter that into the
    rc.inet1.conf file. There are places to put all kinds of numers in it but
    from what I can tell they all pertain to eth and there is no where to put
    ra1 in the conf file, do I can't bring the card up using rc.inet1.

    What I have done is made my own file called rc.wire with the following in
    it:

    echo "starting wireless"

    IPADDR=192.168.1.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0

    /sbin/ifconfig ra1 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK}

    This works fine for talking between my wifes machine and mine
    masqing works great. But when I introduced the router which takes
    up the address 192.168.0.1, sets my computer at 192.168.0.2 doesn't that
    then actually make ra1 192,168.0.1 ?

    I guess what I'm asking is how the routing and addressing information is
    entered for this mess.

    Any insight very much appreciated.

    I tell ya' I have been using Slackware since somewhere around 1995 and
    the older I get the longer it takes me to figure some of this crap out.
    It's hell gettin' old.

    Thanks guys

  2. Re: OT: Wireless routing

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:50:56 +0000, Fred FLintstone wrote:

    > PCI wireless cards that I was using to masq my wife

    The mind is boggling.

  3. Re: OT: Wireless routing

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:53:26 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:50:56 +0000, Fred FLintstone wrote:
    >
    >> PCI wireless cards that I was using to masq my wife

    > The mind is boggling.

    Yeah I saw that after I wrote this. I left it.

  4. Re: OT: Wireless routing

    On 2007-10-14, Fred FLintstone wrote:

    > I am in wireless router hell.

    Is it warm there? Is that near the equator?

    > What I have done is made my own file called rc.wire with the following in
    > it:
    >
    > echo "starting wireless"
    >
    > IPADDR=192.168.1.1
    > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    >
    > /sbin/ifconfig ra1 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK}
    >
    > This works fine for talking between my wifes machine and mine
    > masqing works great. But when I introduced the router which takes
    > up the address 192.168.0.1, sets my computer at 192.168.0.2 doesn't that
    > then actually make ra1 192,168.0.1 ?
    >
    > I guess what I'm asking is how the routing and addressing information is
    > entered for this mess.

    If your router uses 192.168.0.1, you should give your machine and
    your wife's machine IPs on that network

    Try
    IPADDR=192.168.0.2
    (I can't really understand what your second last sentence means)
    and after the ifconfig line, try

    route add default gw 192.168.0.1

    which should get you to the outside world.

    Of course, if you don't have anything sensible in your /etc/resolv.conf
    file, life will be difficult.

    As an alternative to the ifconfig and route commands, have you considered
    /sbin/dhcpcd -t 10 -d ra1

    Cheers.
    Jim

  5. Re: OT: Wireless routing

    On 2007-10-14, Fred FLintstone wrote:

    > I am in wireless router hell.
    >
    > I was given a Netgear MR314 wireless router by a friend.
    >
    > Since I already had 2 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI wireless cards
    > that I was using to masq my wife I figure what the hell I'll setup the
    > router and pull the eth0 card and have an extra slot for my TV card.
    >
    > Now for 3 days I have been in Wireless hell with no escape.
    >
    > using iwlist I can see that the radio is operating:
    >
    > Cell 01 - Address: 00:30:AB:20:51:32
    > ESSID:"Fred"
    > Mode:Managed
    > Channel:3
    > Encryption keyff
    > Quality:84/100 Signal level:-28 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
    >
    > So I figure there is something wrong with the routing of my network,and
    > this is where I have run into some of the problms I am having.
    >
    > Using rc.inet1 I can not get my computer to setup the wireless card in
    > my computer. Maybe I am doing something wrong in the rc.inet1.conf but I
    > don't think so.
    >
    > First my wireless card is called ra1 not eth*. That's what the rt61.o
    > module names it. I can't figure out how to enter that into the
    > rc.inet1.conf file. There are places to put all kinds of numers in it but
    > from what I can tell they all pertain to eth and there is no where to put
    > ra1 in the conf file, do I can't bring the card up using rc.inet1.
    >
    > What I have done is made my own file called rc.wire with the following in
    > it:
    >
    > echo "starting wireless"
    >
    > IPADDR=192.168.1.1
    > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    >
    > /sbin/ifconfig ra1 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK}
    >
    > This works fine for talking between my wifes machine and mine
    > masqing works great. But when I introduced the router which takes
    > up the address 192.168.0.1, sets my computer at 192.168.0.2 doesn't that
    > then actually make ra1 192,168.0.1 ?
    >
    > I guess what I'm asking is how the routing and addressing information is
    > entered for this mess.
    >
    > Any insight very much appreciated.
    >
    > I tell ya' I have been using Slackware since somewhere around 1995 and
    > the older I get the longer it takes me to figure some of this crap out.
    > It's hell gettin' old.

    the part you need to setup is at the bottom of the rc.inet1.conf file. this
    is a copy of mine setup to use WEP using a rt2500 based card:

    IFNAME[4]="ra0"
    #IPADDR[4]=""
    #NETMASK[4]=""
    USE_DHCP[4]="yes"
    #DHCP_HOSTNAME[4]="icculus-wireless"
    #DHCP_KEEPRESOLV[4]="yes"
    #DHCP_KEEPNTP[4]="yes"
    #DHCP_KEEPGW[4]="yes"
    #DHCP_IPADDR[4]=""
    WLAN_ESSID[4]=middleearth
    WLAN_MODE[4]=Managed
    WLAN_RATE[4]="54M auto"
    ##WLAN_CHANNEL[4]="auto"
    WLAN_KEY[4]="12345678901234567890123456"
    ##WLAN_IWPRIV[4]="AuthMode=WPAPSK EncrypType=TKIP
    ##WPAPSK=7B1ABEEB5D197741923ED26727569C365E3121209 6A0EAFAD563B268BAD01CAF
    ##TxRat
    #WLAN_WPA[4]="wpa_supplicant"
    #WLAN_WPADRIVER[4]="ndiswrapper"

    It would seem that your network is not using any encryption, which is not
    recommended, and honestly, I have no idea how to set it up without at least
    WEP.

    --
    Martin Lefebvre
    WWW: http://www.sekurity.com

    "This is my Linux box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My Linux box is my best friend. It is my life."

+ Reply to Thread