mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions - Slackware

This is a discussion on mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions - Slackware ; Hi, I have just copied the Slackware 12 DVD for a friend and have 2 questions about the process I used: 1. My mkisofs syntax was: mkisofs -r -R -J -v -o $HOME/Desktop/Slack12DVD.iso /media/Slack12DVD deliberately omitting -l and -allow-leading-dots. I ...

  1. mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    Hi,

    I have just copied the Slackware 12 DVD for a friend and have 2
    questions about the process I used:

    1. My mkisofs syntax was:

    mkisofs -r -R -J -v -o $HOME/Desktop/Slack12DVD.iso /media/Slack12DVD

    deliberately omitting -l and -allow-leading-dots. I had trouble
    specifying the cdrom drive as /media/cdrom as I have done before (on
    another distro). Have I omitted something in my slackware setup?

    2. My cdrecord syntax is:

    cdrecord -v -eject speed=2 dev=1001,0,0 /home/andrew/Desktop/Slack12DVD.iso

    which worked fine. My question: how do I specify a title for the
    destination dvd? It defaulted to an ugly 'CDROM'.

    Thanks very much for your trouble,

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  2. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    On 2007-10-13, andrew wrote:

    [...]

    > I have just copied the Slackware 12 DVD for a friend and have 2
    > questions about the process I used:
    >
    > 1. My mkisofs syntax was:
    >
    > mkisofs -r -R -J -v -o $HOME/Desktop/Slack12DVD.iso /media/Slack12DVD

    [...]

    > which worked fine. My question: how do I specify a title for the
    > destination dvd? It defaulted to an ugly 'CDROM'.

    Hmmm... solved that part anyway:

    -V Slack12DVD

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  3. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    andrew@ilium.invalid wrote :

    > Hmmm... solved that part anyway:

    If you want to make an exact copy of the DVD then use 'dd' instead of
    'mkisofs'. Something like this:
    # dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/"User"/Desktop/slackware.iso bs=2048
    --
    Thomas O.

  4. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    Thomas Overgaard wrote :

    > # dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/"User"/Desktop/slackware.iso bs=2048

    Sorry, my memory is playing tricks on me. You don't have to be root to do
    that.
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:25:38 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just copied the Slackware 12 DVD for a friend and have 2
    > questions about the process I used:
    >
    > 1. My mkisofs syntax was:
    >
    > mkisofs -r -R -J -v -o $HOME/Desktop/Slack12DVD.iso /media/Slack12DVD
    >
    > deliberately omitting -l and -allow-leading-dots. I had trouble
    > specifying the cdrom drive as /media/cdrom as I have done before (on
    > another distro). Have I omitted something in my slackware setup?
    >
    > 2. My cdrecord syntax is:
    >
    > cdrecord -v -eject speed=2 dev=1001,0,0
    > /home/andrew/Desktop/Slack12DVD.iso
    >
    > which worked fine. My question: how do I specify a title for the
    > destination dvd? It defaulted to an ugly 'CDROM'.
    >
    > Thanks very much for your trouble,
    >
    > Andrew

    Use on of the many frontends for cd/dvd creation. k3b, for example.

    --
    Peter

  6. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    On 2007-10-13, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > andrew@ilium.invalid wrote :
    >
    >> Hmmm... solved that part anyway:

    > If you want to make an exact copy of the DVD then use 'dd' instead of
    > 'mkisofs'. Something like this:
    > # dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/"User"/Desktop/slackware.iso bs=2048

    Thanks for that, I actually have never used dd :-)

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  7. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    On 2007-10-13, Peter wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:25:38 +0000, andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have just copied the Slackware 12 DVD for a friend and have 2
    >> questions about the process I used:
    >>
    >> 1. My mkisofs syntax was:
    >>
    >> mkisofs -r -R -J -v -o $HOME/Desktop/Slack12DVD.iso /media/Slack12DVD

    [...]

    > Use on of the many frontends for cd/dvd creation. k3b, for example.

    Since this is my hobby rather than a _necessity_ I have set myself the
    task of learning the command line way. A fascinating learning process
    too!

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  8. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    andrew@ilium.invalid wrote :

    > Thanks for that, I actually have never used dd :-)

    The problem with the way you are using mkisofs is that those DVD's you
    make wont boot. If you want to make a customized CD/DVD that boots then
    take a look at /isolinux/README.TXT at your Slackware-12 DVD.
    --
    Thomas O.

  9. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    andrew wrote:

    > Since this is my hobby rather than a _necessity_ I have set myself the
    > task of learning the command line way. A fascinating learning process
    > too!

    I used to use some of the various GUI front ends - in the end I found
    mkisofs and cdrecord to just be easier and take less time. Plus, I
    like to be able to burn stuff without starting X.

    - Kurt

  10. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    ~kurt says:
    >andrew wrote:
    >>
    >> Since this is my hobby rather than a _necessity_ I have set myself the
    >> task of learning the command line way. A fascinating learning process
    >> too!

    >I used to use some of the various GUI front ends - in the end I found
    >mkisofs and cdrecord to just be easier and take less time. Plus, I
    >like to be able to burn stuff without starting X.

    Why would you ever turn X off? Using one of the xterm clones (and
    not xterm itself) is far superior to using a virtual console. The
    trouble with mkisofs and cdrecord is that, unless you use it
    everyday, you have to give yourself a mini-tutorial each time just
    to figure out how it works. This is not the case when you use a gui
    front end.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    Realto Margarino wrote:

    > Why would you ever turn X off? Using one of the xterm clones (and

    Once X is on, I generally don't turn it off until I shut the computer
    down. But, I don't have X come on by default, and when I do a backup,
    of my home directory, I'll generally do that before starting X.

    Also, for older hardware, I might not even have X installed.

    > not xterm itself) is far superior to using a virtual console. The
    > trouble with mkisofs and cdrecord is that, unless you use it
    > everyday, you have to give yourself a mini-tutorial each time just
    > to figure out how it works. This is not the case when you use a gui
    > front end.

    I just have a file with the commands I use listed. It takes me less
    time to cat the file from the command line, than it does to start up
    some GUI front end, and click on the options I want, etc....

    The problem with the gui front end is I have to learn it, and probably
    install it (not sure which ones come with Slackware). I originally
    used something like xcdroast? I had to download it, compile it, install
    it, etc.... Then figure out how it work. Then click on all sorts of ****
    each time I wanted to back something up. When I upgraded the distro (I was
    using RH back then, I think), I didn't feel like downloading the front end.
    It was just easier to use the command line.

    All I ever burn are data CDs though. If I had to burn audio CDs, then
    I would probably start up some GUI, if it came with Slackware already,
    and click away. I remember there was something different about burning
    audio CDs - and instead of reading up on it I'd probably just use the
    GUI. I'll just take the path of least resistance for BS like that.
    I don't really see much point in burning audio CDs now days though.
    I might rip my own CDs to play them on the computer, or maybe an ogg
    player - buy burn them? Maybe burn a data CD filled with a collection
    of my music CDs.

    - Kurt

  12. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    On 2007-10-13, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > andrew@ilium.invalid wrote :
    >
    >> Thanks for that, I actually have never used dd :-)

    > The problem with the way you are using mkisofs is that those DVD's you
    > make wont boot. If you want to make a customized CD/DVD that boots then
    > take a look at /isolinux/README.TXT at your Slackware-12 DVD.

    Thanks for that. The syntax there is more complex than anything I
    would have thought of and even as we speak is burning another copy,
    bootable this time :-)

    Andrew

    PS Creating more than a few coffee coasters while I learn

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  13. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    On 2007-10-14, andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-10-13, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    >>
    >> andrew@ilium.invalid wrote :
    >>
    >>> Thanks for that, I actually have never used dd :-)

    >> The problem with the way you are using mkisofs is that those DVD's you
    >> make wont boot. If you want to make a customized CD/DVD that boots then
    >> take a look at /isolinux/README.TXT at your Slackware-12 DVD.

    > Thanks for that. The syntax there is more complex than anything I
    > would have thought of and even as we speak is burning another copy,
    > bootable this time :-)
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > PS Creating more than a few coffee coasters while I learn

    Add another coaster but I have succeeded finally. The instructions on
    the DVD /isolinux/README.TXT I suspect are to form a bootable DVD from
    a directory structure on HDD ---> to bootable .iso ----> burn to DVD. Please
    correct me if I am wrong, the number of dvds hurled against the wall
    here will show how new I am to this :-)

    But to simply _copy_ an existing Slackware 12 DVD and produce a
    bootable results the following worked well:

    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/andrew/Desktop/slackware.iso bs=2048

    and then:

    growisofs -Z /dev/cdrom=slackware.iso

    Remarkably simple and _very_ fast.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  14. Re: mkisofs and cdrecord: 2 syntax questions

    andrew wrote:
    > Add another coaster but I have succeeded finally. The instructions on
    > the DVD /isolinux/README.TXT I suspect are to form a bootable DVD from a
    > directory structure on HDD ---> to bootable .iso ----> burn to DVD.

    Yes.

    > the number of dvds hurled against the wall here will show how new I am
    > to this :-)

    Instead of using DVD-Rs to produce coasters you might find a DVD-RW usable
    to experiment with. Or maybe you prefer DVD+RW...

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread