xfce: utf-8 support? - Slackware

This is a discussion on xfce: utf-8 support? - Slackware ; Hi, I have been attempting with poor success to get full utf-8 support in xfce Terminal. Locale is set to: andrew@ilium~$ locale LANG=en_US LC_CTYPE="en_US" LC_NUMERIC="en_US" LC_TIME="en_US" LC_COLLATE=C LC_MONETARY="en_US" LC_MESSAGES="en_US" LC_PAPER="en_US" LC_NAME="en_US" LC_ADDRESS="en_US" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US" LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US" LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US" LC_ALL= And when I saw ...

  1. xfce: utf-8 support?

    Hi,

    I have been attempting with poor success to get full utf-8 support in
    xfce Terminal.

    Locale is set to:

    andrew@ilium~$ locale
    LANG=en_US
    LC_CTYPE="en_US"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
    LC_TIME="en_US"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY="en_US"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
    LC_PAPER="en_US"
    LC_NAME="en_US"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
    LC_ALL=

    And when I saw the following message in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh I
    decided to simply add the changes to ~/.bashrc:

    # There is also support for UTF-8 locales, but be aware that
    # some programs are not yet able to handle UTF-8 and will fail to
    # run properly. In those cases, you can set LANG=C before
    # starting them. Still, I'd avoid UTF unless you actually need it.
    #export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

    But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
    vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

  2. Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

    On 2007-10-12, andrew wrote:

    [...]

    > And when I saw the following message in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh I
    > decided to simply add the changes to ~/.bashrc:
    >
    > # There is also support for UTF-8 locales, but be aware that
    > # some programs are not yet able to handle UTF-8 and will fail to
    > # run properly. In those cases, you can set LANG=C before
    > # starting them. Still, I'd avoid UTF unless you actually need it.
    > #export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

    Bugger it changed it anyway:

    andrew@ilium~$ locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=

    But fonts look a little poor in Terminal using Monospace. Is there a
    recomended font with great utf-8 support for Terminal? I have tried a
    few but there are about 50 to chose from.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  3. Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

    > But fonts look a little poor in Terminal using Monospace. Is there a
    > recomended font with great utf-8 support for Terminal? I have tried a
    > few but there are about 50 to chose from.

    I use "Deja Vu Sans Mono" looks great in Konsole.

    --
    damjan

  4. Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

    > But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
    > vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?

    Your X session starts and never reads ~/.bashrc .. so that wouldn't work.
    The correct place for per-user X session environment would be ~/.xprofile
    (which could source .bashrc)

    --
    damjan

  5. Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

    Damjan says:

    >> But fonts look a little poor in Terminal using Monospace. Is
    >> there a recomended font with great utf-8 support for Terminal? I
    >> have tried a few but there are about 50 to chose from.

    >I use "Deja Vu Sans Mono" looks great in Konsole.

    Liberation Mono looks great in konsole as well.

    cordially, as always,

    rm
    --
    http://sports.jrank.org/pages/4065/R...lishments.html

  6. Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

    On 2007-10-14, Damjan wrote:
    >> But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
    >> vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?

    > Your X session starts and never reads ~/.bashrc .. so that wouldn't work.
    > The correct place for per-user X session environment would be ~/.xprofile
    > (which could source .bashrc)

    So the change I made in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh would actually be a
    _global_ setting for all users? Not so much of a problem on this
    single user machine but something I will keep in mind for the future.

    So you don't have to read back the change was from:

    export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1

    export LANG=enUS.UTF-8

    The only problem I have had is a few borked copyright and punctuation
    marks in man pages but I believe there is a fix for this by specifying
    non-utf-8 encoding for man pages only: not sure how to do this.

    Andrew

    --
    Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
    from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which
    amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light
    endures ...

  7. Re: xfce: utf-8 support?

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2007-10-14, Damjan wrote:
    > >> But adding this to ~./bashrc had little effect on Terminal and killed
    > >> vim fairly badly. Am I missing something obvious here?

    > > Your X session starts and never reads ~/.bashrc .. so that wouldn't work.
    > > The correct place for per-user X session environment would be ~/.xprofile
    > > (which could source .bashrc)

    > So the change I made in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh would actually be a
    > _global_ setting for all users? Not so much of a problem on this
    > single user machine but something I will keep in mind for the future.

    > So you don't have to read back the change was from:

    > export LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1

    > export LANG=enUS.UTF-8

    X is picky about case in locale-names. Other programs don'รค seem that picky.

    export LANG=en_US.utf8

    is the correct way for me on slack 10.1 that works (programs started from an
    rxvt don't complain about missing locales). You can get a list of available
    locales with 'locale -a'.

    Slackware's xdm (gdm and probably kdm too) reads ~/.profile and ~/.xprofile
    at login. So in order to get all programs running correctly you ought to fix
    your ~/.profile or ~/.xprofile and then log out an in again.

    Also note that usually LC_ALL overrides LANG. I have the habit of setting
    every LC_* one by one, and leaving LC_ALL empty (if set, will overwrite
    every other LC_ variable). This way I can get the C-behaviour of sorting the
    output of 'ls -la'. Also I don't get bitten by the no-more-case-sensitive
    regexps in bash when LC_COLLATE=C (or POSIX).

    This works for me;

    $ locale
    LANG=en_US.utf8
    LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8
    LC_NUMERIC=en_US.utf8
    LC_TIME=C
    $

    > The only problem I have had is a few borked copyright and punctuation
    > marks in man pages but I believe there is a fix for this by specifying
    > non-utf-8 encoding for man pages only: not sure how to do this.

    Either make an alias for 'man';

    alias man='LC_ALL=C man'

    Or define your LESSCHARSET as utf-8

    I prefer the second method.

    --
    A: Top Posters! | s/y Charlotta |
    Harald H Hannelius | harald (At) iki (dot) fi | GSM +358 50 594 1020

+ Reply to Thread